For guitar players...

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
MadeInBrazil
For guitar players...

Post by MadeInBrazil » Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:43 am

For how long you play guitar, how often, and when did you start shreding? (if u did)

I got arm diseases, dont play metal since i started... so i am just start ing to play fast now, after 5 years of playing, not so often last years. :(

I wish i could play in a metal band, but i dont solo enough for that :(
and the mean Kai Hansen do some freak solos hard to get... =P
Give a bum a piece of bread, and he will feed himself for a couple of minutes;
Teach him to have faith, and he will starve to death praying for a piece of bread.

Q: What are the small bumps around a womans nipples for?
A: It's Braille for 'Suck here.'

Veripalttu

Re: For guitar players...

Post by Veripalttu » Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:30 pm

I have played for three years and several hours per day. Basicly I haven't done anything else but soloing, so I can play solos but comping and chords is something i have just begun with. In other words, Wev'e gone cross sides my friend.
I haven't killed him yet sir,
But when I do, I shall have the stomach and the liver too,
And the floppily doppilies in their horrid glue.

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:16 am

Been playing about 11 years but started practising a bit more seriously about 4 years ago when I got into metal stuff. Nowadays I try to practise whenever possible, occasionally several hours a day but often away from my guitar for days so I'm not really making progress right now... :buh:

MadeInBrazil

Re: Re: For guitar players...

Post by MadeInBrazil » Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:45 am

Jaakko wrote:
Been playing about 11 years but started practising a bit more seriously about 4 years ago when I got into metal stuff. Nowadays I try to practise whenever possible, occasionally several hours a day but often away from my guitar for days so I'm not really making progress right now... :buh:
same here.. i never get to play everyday :(
Teach him to have faith, and he will starve to death praying for a piece of bread.

Zeke89

Post by Zeke89 » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:02 pm

I have played guitar for a month. And I pratice nearly two hours per day.. :)
Now I'm leaving my worries behind.
Feel the freedom of body and mind I have started my journey.
I'm drifting away with the wind I go...

Mad the swine

Post by Mad the swine » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:37 pm

I've been playing for 11 years now. Usually I play one hour a day but sometimes two. I love to play along with Strato cds. :D
AND THE KEY TO THE UNIVERSE IS BOOGA BOOGA!!

Stratosphere_RoX

Post by Stratosphere_RoX » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:07 am

I've been playing for 3 years and I play songs as Stratosphere, Will The Sun Rise, Speed of Light, Holy Light and others... I play nearly 1 or 2 hours per day. I had guitar classes in the 1st year and after that I bought an electric guitar. With the eletric guitar, 90% that I do now is soloing. Last song I learnt is "Arpeggios from Hell" - Yngwie Malmsteen (very very hard to play) :eek: :eek: :eek:
Stratosphere, Stratofortress, Stratovarius and Holy Light are the Bests Songs EVER!!!

Taim

Post by Taim » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:18 pm

I've been "playing" for over two years now. But as I practice rather occasionally, it's really bad playing, and I mean it. I play like few minutes a day, sometimes couple of hours, sometimes non at all for few days. I don't like playing chords, I can't do it fast enough, I mean change the position of few fingers fast, so I rather stick to semi-solos, like intros for a songs, SOS, San Sebastian, Deep Silent Complete, Kamelot's Forever and so on. I also don't play riffs too often. Solos, well I'm trying, but for example I have no idea how the fuck it's possible to play Sonata
s Wolf and Raven fast enough.
It was a match made in Hell, now the whole mountain burns...
... and everyman gets what no man deserves.

~ www.sentenced.prv.pl ~

Diabolus

Post by Diabolus » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:44 pm

I've been playing the guitar for about 11 or 12 years now and seriously for about 5 or 6 years.

I practice two hours or more a day. At least one hour technique and the rest of the time I compose new music and practice some nice songs.

van-alen

Post by van-alen » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:19 am

hm

as i started with playing guitar i started with an acoustic with plastic strings
i played about 8-10 hours per day
it was the summer vacations and i just had 2 programms on my tv, i had no playstation yet i had no computer, no internet...so nth to do except playing guitar hehe

now i do play about 1-2 hours daily, but also not 7 times a week. soemtimes im just too drunk or just dont have the time
if freedom means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they dont want to hear
George Orwell

MadeInBrazil

Post by MadeInBrazil » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:23 am

I am playing every sunday... =(

Holy Light

Post by Holy Light » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:37 pm

I play from 2-5 hrs a day. I will practice more now since I don't have to play Jazz. I play Malmsteen, Symphony X, Stratovarius, King Diamond, mainly metal "shred" stuff. I am starting lessons with Joe Stump next wednesday and am currently in his metal lab. I hope to be joining an extremely cool band soon. I'm also doing an Iced Earth show in a few months or something (like a cover show). Also, my personal band is now in formation. 8)
In the Name of Shred!!!

Mister_Mushroom

Post by Mister_Mushroom » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:30 pm

I play some music maybe one hour per day. When I'm drunk it's more, when I'm not at home less...however...
I AM starting shredding for almost one year now because I mainly play my synth. And if something sounds good on it I try to manage it somehow on my guitar.
thanks for reading

risingorion

Post by risingorion » Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:12 pm

About 5 -6 years ...
Started playing Metallica...
But my guitar teacher taught me the classic guitar methode (with scores, not tablatures).
Then I started to Study Malmsteen guitar method.
Now I am playing Classical music (J.S. Bach, Paganini, Villa-Lobos), and some jazz/fusion stuff (Gambale).
The ammount odf hours I practice evry day is not always the same.. but at least 2 - 3 hours when I am in a good mood.
--------
I know I CAN STAY by your side FOREVER
but I know I will NEVER forget your music
STRATOVARIUS

-----
Black Diamond ... adapted...

risingorion

Post by risingorion » Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:18 pm

And I play a ultra fast style for about 4 - 5 years . I still remember when I managed to play Rising Force solo for the first time .. I was really happy) :D
--------
STRATOVARIUS

-----

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:05 pm

hm...... I play electric guitar for.... more than 2 years without taking lessons.........
and now I nearly can play 'rais the hammer' from hammerfall.... ;)
yeah I'm just a guitarnoob.. ;).....
and I'm also play everything... solis, Riffs, Chords....
I play more than 1 hour a day... and when I feel bad ca. 4-8 hours at the weekend and 3 hours the rest of the days...... ;)

Slayer
sry, for bad English^^

Dragon Rider

Post by Dragon Rider » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:36 am

http://cuatro_vientos.tripod.com
Last edited by Dragon Rider on Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://advante_power.tripod.com
we try so hard to get that we dont see were are we going

risingorion

Post by risingorion » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:47 pm

[/quote]
--------
STRATOVARIUS

-----

Metal.Elf

Post by Metal.Elf » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:12 am

Well, after more than a year asking my parents to buy me a guitar I get it a couple of months ago. I've been practising since then. I have never had any serious music classes, and no mention to any instrument classes. Sometimes I try to play songs by the hearing (i didn't know how to say it in english, if there is a spanish talking better at english I meant "de oídas") and sometimes I search a tablature on the net. I guess I sometimes try to play as my idol guitar players and when I play such a bad stuff I get deeply depressed, but I've noticed a small improvement in my techinque, although I practise very irregularily :D
One ring to rule them all
----------------------------
Give us this day all that you showed me
The power and the glory, till my kingdom comes
Give me all the storybook told me
The faith and the glory till my kingdom comes

Dragon Rider

Post by Dragon Rider » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:41 am

hey i have a litle shit at my page it is something i improvised... pay not atention to the web side :) just listen and tell me what you think... sounds like crap and it really sucks are wellcome :) http://heavymetal4you.tripod.com/sitebu ... s/nada.wma

preety bad isnt it?? just an imrpovisation
http://advante_power.tripod.com
we try so hard to get that we dont see were are we going

GreenPeace

Post by GreenPeace » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:24 am

been playin'it for nearly 2 years, but now my skill is as rusty as the strings... 8)
[Insert punch line here]

vojto

Post by vojto » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:11 pm

Hi to all! I am playing the guitar too... and I think the best guitarist in the world (technique, feeling...) are KAI HANSEN (metal ...) and RICHIE SAMBORA (blues...).
:D

Stratobanger

Post by Stratobanger » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:37 am

I've been playing for about 2 years...actually i play some ype of fussion between powermetal and grunge, i am the composer of my band...i think i play fast but not as i would like...actually i want more precision for my solos and scales..but...wisdom comes with the years....that...or i really suck! :D
...And the booga will unite the nations and in the name of the justice, they'll fight against the evil one...

-The Booga Prophecies by Zheo Blackheart, master of all magics

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:36 pm

I can't really even see the definition of "fast" anymore. The modern guitar techniques make speeds beyond good taste and human ear's hearing accuracy easy as hell, making it lose all the shine it used to have when nobody knew how to do it. Economy picking, tapping, sweeping, it's not hard anymore compared to the old idea of alternate picking everything clearly.

Opens doors for new ways of applying fresh musical ideas but shouldn't be so important many young players seem to think it is... Speed is just an effect, not the brain or the soul, just plain muscle.

BigBassMan

Post by BigBassMan » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:40 am

Jaakko wrote:
I can't really even see the definition of "fast" anymore. The modern guitar techniques make speeds beyond good taste and human ear's hearing accuracy easy as hell, making it lose all the shine it used to have when nobody knew how to do it. Economy picking, tapping, sweeping, it's not hard anymore compared to the old idea of alternate picking everything clearly.

Opens doors for new ways of applying fresh musical ideas but shouldn't be so important many young players seem to think it is... Speed is just an effect, not the brain or the soul, just plain muscle.
In a Way you are right but in another way you are wrong. If you listen to great guitarrists like Ingwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and of course Timo Tolkki you will hear musicianship so good you will be left open mouthed. Shredding is becoming more mainstream but that is good so they can finally put an end to NU METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >=(
...and justice for all

Mister_Mushroom

Post by Mister_Mushroom » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:00 pm

:err:
Last edited by Mister_Mushroom on Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thanks for reading

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:14 pm

Shredding, yeah, I don't know what it actually means either. I just connect it to playing fast and technically. Showing off what you can do ;)

Alternate picking is simply picking every second note with a downstroke and every second with an upstroke. And economy picking is using the most efficient way of using the pick, making easier to play faster and more accurately.

Stratomano

Post by Stratomano » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:07 pm

[/quote]
Stratovarius is the best!!!!

timo the soulforged

Post by timo the soulforged » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:06 am

Last edited by timo the soulforged on Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gold-Booga.C-Guard

AdrianFly

Post by AdrianFly » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:24 pm

Been playing for about 16 years (off and on of course)

I practice at least 5 hours per day. I believe that if I don't practice at least 5 hours per day that Satan will catch me and consume my soul. This is particularly stressful since I occasionally play blues riffs. I also enjoy peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I make sure to not eat peanut butter and jelly sandwich before I play guitar. If I eat PB&JS before I play guitar I mess the guitar strings all up. The tone becomes less than "Stellar". Ever hear of the dog "Old Yeller?" Stop in to see a bank "Teller?" Hear of the deaf and blind lady "Helen Keller?"
//AdrianFly