Mission complete : Parents rock.

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Dragon
Mission complete : Parents rock.

Post by Dragon » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:17 pm

ive got my parents listening to metal again!
my 'rents are old school metal heads of by-gone days, but have sort of forgotten their roots, so i set out to re-awaken them :D :
we have a rule in our family, whoever is doing the ironing has control over the stereo [just, dont ask about the ironing rule ] :? :lol:
or in the car, whoever is in the passenger seat gets control over the CD player, so, on my way to work in my mums car, i put on nightwish, my parents loved it, then i put on Hammerfall and my mum fell in love! she said they reminded her of Saxon, whom she loves.
as soon as we get home, my mum digs out her old Saxon vinyls and now it metal in the household most of the time! its amazing!
now, to get them to Stratovarius... 8)
There are no absolutes in life...only Vodka.

htcdude

Re: Mission complete : Parents rock.

Post by htcdude » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:22 pm

Haha awesome! Well if you can get them into HammerFall you should have no problem getting them into Stratovarius :D

Well done :ola:
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Heiserich

Post by Heiserich » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:27 pm

My parents now like metal too... Before I started to indoctrinate them, both of them have listened to classical music only. Now my mother has three Nightwish-CDs and asked me if I could get her a copy of the latest Kamelot-album. :)
Life can only be understood in reverse
But must be lived forwards...
I'm losing my senses, I'm losing my senses

D. Mustaine

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:39 pm

Tell her, that Jörg plays on the Lionheart album. :) Maybe that will help in making her a StratoFan.
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

iron_thunder

Post by iron_thunder » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:51 pm

Yay! Parents DO rock. I got my parents into metal as well...
My dad is coming to see Kamelot with me this saturday :)

www.sacredembrace.com
www.myspace.com/sacred_embrace_webzine

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:54 pm

wow you make me realize my parents suck! thank you all! :(

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:09 am

The situation is nowadays that my mother likes a lot of metal (power and melodic/heavy genres). And specially loves Stratovarius (like me too). How this all happened? Well:

My mum has always liked a lot of Egyptian culture and that´s why I suggested her to listen Kotipelto´s WftD-album coz it tells about the ancient Egyptians. When she then listened the album, she was amazed by how great voice Kotipelto has and liked the music much too. She continued then to listen that album and later Coldness too of which she liked too. Then my mum asked me if she could hear some Sratovarius stuff because TK had sung there (it was summer 2004 when TK was out of the band). Then I said her, of course you can listen them. She picked Infinite first and told me straight after having listened that the album was more than awesome and emphasized on that the composer must be genius and the oher band too is totally unbelievable great. :P 8) Then she started to like Strato more and more and Tolkki as a composer and an interesting person too.

Now she really loves Strato and TK and TT solos and also likes to listen some older stuff like Dio etc. I like those too but not so much as she does. But though trying to tell her that there´s also an other great Finnish melopower band Sonata Arctica, she hasn´t yet started to like them. Maybe because of Tony´s voice, she doesn´t like that much (though Tony is very great in ballads too, IMHO). :wink:
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:35 am

My parents are square fundy-dundys who like Country-Western music&thinks all guys with hair below their collar are hippies! :lol: :~(
But, they still are great parents&have proved that over&over by still standing by/loving a weirdo/wild daughter such as I! :D
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

iron_thunder

Post by iron_thunder » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:31 am

Miguel_Ricardo wrote:wow you make me realize my parents suck! thank you all! :(
Aww damn! ok! that wasn't the intent.... And I'm sure I could complain about my parents to make you feel better :D parents don't have to like metal to be cool... are your parents into hip-hop? :lol:

www.sacredembrace.com
www.myspace.com/sacred_embrace_webzine

Jester

Post by Jester » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:48 am

My Mom grew up on Deep Purple, Yes, Led Zeppelin, and Queen. I remember her liking Yngwie, Helloween, and Iron Maiden when I played them for her. She always had an open mind. If she were still with us today I have no doubt that she would appreciate Stratovarius, Nightwish, and Sonata Arctica.

My Dad grew up on Boston, Journey, Styx, Pink Floyd, Rush, Kansas, etc. I guess in my case the apple didn't fall far from the tree. I had a lot of great music in the house growing up.

Jesse
"All people improve the gene pool, some by birth, some by their demise".

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:12 pm

congratulations 8) let' see if i get my parents that far..
Spamming is serious business!

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:18 pm

My father listened some Metal when he was younger, but he doesn't listen so much music now..
My mother is more into classical and also some french music.
Olen tyytyväinen...Onpa kiva tavata...

nepi

Post by nepi » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:48 pm

iron_thunder wrote:Yay! Parents DO rock. I got my parents into metal as well...
My dad is coming to see Kamelot with me this saturday :)
Great, I have passed the gig in april :roll:

My mother only likes the softest songs like sleeping sun and forever and -its an exception- Black Diamond!

My father likes rock as me! He comes with me to any concerts and he loves the sound too. He has seen in the 70ies any awesome gigs I'm really jealous. And he has seen Edguy twice and me not a single one (hadn't the chance)...
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

TrialByFire

Post by TrialByFire » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:54 pm

My mom is a major metalhead. 60 years old and jams to Megadeth, Iron Maiden, In Flames, Primal Fear, Lacuna Coil, NIghtwish, Judas Priest, etc....there is just too much to list for this one. Just like me. :D
"As far as I'm concerned, the only thing the French should be allowed to host is an invasion" Johnny English

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:17 pm

My mom is sick of metal because i alway have it in my house! she doesn't dislike strato, she said she did like the beginning of Black Diamond
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

nepi

Post by nepi » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:22 pm

stratoplayer wrote:My mom is sick of metal because i alway have it in my house! she doesn't dislike strato, she said she did like the beginning of Black Diamond
I suppose only the beginning, just to the point when the guitar starts ... I'm right?
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

Leo

Post by Leo » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:43 pm

My parents love metal...My mom doesn't like black/deathmetal, but my dad does he even like doom-metal......

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:40 pm

By my side, this is thanks to my parents that I listen to metal today. And this is 22 years now. :)
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

nepi

Post by nepi » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:43 am

nice words

My parents have to hear my music every day and often comes my mum in and says: please not so loud... ok, I don't really hear the music "loud" but for her it is loud...
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

5Tea

Post by 5Tea » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:37 pm

My parents are great.
Though they do not like metal, rather they seem to fear it, they do like a lot of progressive rock like Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Yes, Pink Floyd, Phish, the Gentle Giant, etc.

I have taken the time to show my mother some of the music I liked. I showed her Angra, and she liked that more or less. I showed her Ayreon, and she loved that. I even showed her the first symphony X cd (self-titled) and she thought that was great.
Fifth Tea-Sausage
Proud Owner of StratoBoards Troll of the Year 2005!

Paola

Post by Paola » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:49 pm

Here is the winner: My mom listens to a black death metal band from colombia called Neurosis (not all the time, just some few times). and likes also the folk and melodic metal, and some power (rhapsody but I'm not so sure). btw, she likes Apocalyptica (she likes Perttu Kivilaakso :shock: ). My dad also likes proggressive rock, and metal. some of his fav. bands are Strato, Therion, Dimmu (believe it or not), Mago de Oz, Sonata arctica, Iron Maiden, and a lot that i can't remember. He was a rocker in his youth, but when he started with my mom he "forgot"his roots, and with my sister and me he remember how great rock and metal is. and my mom, she started to listen with us so... :D :D
Official hobbit of the Stratovarius forum...Relax guys, I don't find a ring...:wink: :lol:

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:33 am

nepi wrote:
stratoplayer wrote:My mom is sick of metal because i alway have it in my house! she doesn't dislike strato, she said she did like the beginning of Black Diamond
I suppose only the beginning, just to the point when the guitar starts ... I'm right?
jeje, precisley, my dad loves Floyd and Stones and likes the occasional Maiden, but he cant seem to understand that metal actually helps me to focus while driving, he sort of demands that I turn off the cd system while driving with him...
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

GrimGregorius

Post by GrimGregorius » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:23 pm

my mom freaks out just shes her the word metal ... but dad likes a littelbit metal....

nepi

Post by nepi » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:36 pm

stratoplayer wrote:, but he cant seem to understand that metal actually helps me to focus while driving, he sort of demands that I turn off the cd system while driving with him...
Hehe, great! My mother is not the only one where demands that her son drives without "noises" :)

But now I grew up any years and it's easier and I have a car for my own so she just advices me :wink:
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!