Rush

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
miditek
Rush

Post by miditek » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:03 pm

brought2ubyletterC wrote:If you have more questions or want to discuss this more, open up a Rush topic in the other forum so we don't piss off the nice people here that are coming in to look at Strato pics. :lol:
I think that this was a good idea, so here's a new topic for Rush fans and/or Strato fans that may not be very familiar with Rush.
brought2ubyletterC wrote:If you like the more progressive-type stuff, start with their earlier albums like 2112, Caress of Steel, or Farewell to Kings. If you like more of the snyth-driven, electronic-type rock, then start with some of their '80s albums like Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, or Hold Your Fire. If you are into more straight-up rock, their '90s albums like Roll the Bones, Counterparts, or Test for Echo are not bad places to start.
All of these albums were great. One of my personal favorites was "Hemispheres"- a tremendous album, with my favorite track being the instrumental "La Villa Strangiato", which I used to play a lot with bands when I was growing up. Being able to accurately play Rush was at one time, a benchmark by which many local rock and metal musicians in my city were measured.

In addition to the classic 2112 material, we also used to play some stuff from "Moving Pictures", such as "Tom Sawyer" and "Red Barchetta", which I was able to make sound at least a bit more authentic after purchasing a set of the original Moog Taurus pedals as well as a Sequential Circuits Pro One monophonic synth from my friend and mentor Steve Babb who was with a heavily Rush-influenced metal band called Wyzards.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

Shurik

Re: Rush

Post by Shurik » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:04 am

Rush is probably the best rock band ever ... Not many can match the perfection of their music ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:22 am

If you don't know Rush, watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N415bC2xCwA
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

cliff

Post by cliff » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:26 am

NeonVomit wrote:If you don't know Rush, watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N415bC2xCwA
Holy Jesus! They are fucking good!!! :-)
Dream Theater is nothing compared.
<b>This is wrong</b>

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:00 pm

As I stated in another topic some time ago, I'm defintely going to check them out in the near future. :)

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:30 pm

Great band!
My favourite albums are:

Fly By Night
Moving Pictures
Permanent Waves
Signals

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:53 pm

I just now saw this topic! :lol: Listening to "Limelight" right now, as a matter of fact! :D

Yeah, Rush is a pretty awesome band. Dream Theater admits that when they were first starting out, Rush were gods to them. Their original name, Majesty, was actually inspired by the Rush song "Bastille Day" (you can hear the story about that if you have purchased DT's recent DVD, Score).

I have been listening to Rush practically all of my life (I always say, "since birth"). My godparents were huge Rush fans so I was raised on their music, I can't remember when I first heard them, they were always just there. Roll the Bones is my favorite Rush album because I love the lyrics and the theme of that album (taking chances, etc.), not to mention it was the first Rush album I owned that belonged to me and not my parents or godparents.

I saw my first Rush concert at 18, on the Test for Echo tour. Sitting in the fifth row and watching the band perform "2112" in its entirety is an experience like no other! I would see them again in 2002 on the Vapor Trails tour (that was also an excellent show, if you don't get tears in your eyes watching the acoustic version of "Resist", then your heart is a block of ice!). They are an excellent live band, but sadly, they do not tour much in Europe, so if you really want to see them, you would probably have to shell out some money to see them perform in North America. But they are worth every penny! I would have loved to see them during their 30th anniversary tour, but that year was a financially hard one for me and that year I could only afford one concert (which was Nightwish, and I do not regret that decision, as they never did come back to the U.S. after that tour).

I love Rush's music and they only get better with age. They don't have any "bad" songs, maybe some I like less than others, but even those are great. They are currently working on their next album, which is supposed to be out sometime next year. I cannot wait!