Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Mormegil
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Mormegil » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:20 pm

Shurik wrote:I've seen all 3 Indiana Jones movies recently, now those are a fun adventure movies! They prove that you don't need a huge amounts of CGI to make a fun action adventure movies ...
I recently bought 4DVD Indiana Jones -box set. All of them are truly great movies.

Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb
Great satire about US-military during the Cold War and I absolutely loved it. People always told me how great this was, but I had no idea. :D

GoodFellas
I finally saw this classic. Great story with great actors.

Heat
Another movie I've been willing to see for a long time. Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino together on a greatly written film, how couldn't anyone possibly like it? 8)

New Nightmare
Nightmare On Elm Street part 1638 (okay, just 7th). Of all the worthless horror-movie sequals this at least had something new (Freddy tries to kill the actual actors of the previous Nightmare-movies). Too bad new doesn't mean good this time.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:46 pm

TROY--Good action movie. Close adaptation to the myth. But, really, even as pretty as Helen was, no way would 2 nations slaughter themselves like that---not over a babe. I think historically speaking, the real Trojan-Greek war 1200BC was fought over trade routes. ???
KING ARTHUR(2005)I liked this movie. It is said if King Arthur realy existed, this would be the prototype. However I missed the Lancelot/Guinevere love affair although it was implied there was something going on: the meaningful hot glances between them&the way Guinevere grieved about Lancelot after he died. It wa said the reason the romance was not developed to a deeper depth was that the movie was to center around Arthur the soldier not the man.
OMEN 666(2005)-An almost identical remake of the original 70s version. I liked it alot. I just wonder if in another 5 years there will be a second part?
DA VINCI CODE---I definitely ws not disappointed. It was pretty close to the book plotline---as close as time would permit. I have watched this DVD about a dozen times since X-Mas&still think it is exciting as the first time I saw it! Hope Tom Hanks continues playing this character. I think he did a fine job.
KINGDOM OF HEAVEN--I like movies set in Middle Ages/medieval period, and this one was good. About the crusades. Has Orlando Bloom been typecast as a swordwielding knightlike character? Seems so, but he does a good job at it, iMO. :)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:50 pm

browneyedgirl wrote: Close adaptation to the myth. ... I think historically speaking, the real Trojan-Greek war 1200BC was fought over trade routes. ???
I seriously disagree with that.
Agamemnon dying outside Troy?
Achilles getting inside Troy?
Myrmidons, a bunch of war buddies?
Please...
It was also one nation,(Greeks) two "tribes". The Dorians and the Ionians, (not scales :P )
The last sentence I agree with though.
Sorry if it's offencive in any way. I'm not quite in the mood today, yet. :roll:

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:01 pm

stratobabius wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote: Close adaptation to the myth. ... I think historically speaking, the real Trojan-Greek war 1200BC was fought over trade routes. ???
Please...
It was also one nation,(Greeks) two "tribes". The Dorians and the Ionians, (not scales :P )
Sorry if it's offencive in any way. I'm not quite in the mood today, yet. :roll:
It was still a good movie, though. :)

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:58 pm

stratobabius wrote:
Please...
The real myth had also the involvement of various ancient Greek gods, which wasn't in the movie. CGI-wise, adding them to the movie would be cool :)
KINGDOM OF HEAVEN--I like movies set in Middle Ages/medieval period, and this one was good. About the crusades. Has Orlando Bloom been typecast as a swordwielding knightlike character? Seems so, but he does a good job at it, iMO.
Kingdom Of Heaven was a good movie (especially the director's cut which is longer and makes much more sense than the theatrical version) but it was pretty far from historical or even geographical accuracy. For $100 million production, they could spend 50 cents on a decent map of Jerusalem area and see that this city lies on the hills and not on the plane like it was shown in the movie ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:05 pm

Some films and documentaries by the great German director Werner Herzog: Nosferatu, Fitzcarraldo, Grizzly Man, Incident At Loch Ness. Nosferatu is quite bad, I can't understand why it's so esteemed. Some parts are Ed Wood-ish, to be frank. The rest I liked.

Funny Games
By Micheal Haneke, I can't really recommend this to anybody. The most disturbing film I've ever seen. They are going to make an American version of this.

Last of the Mohicans
A silly, romantic story, but visually gorgeous. Michael Mann is the best action director ever. Can a man be more handsome than Daniel Day-Lewis in this film? Almost got a boner.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:11 pm

Mormegil wrote: Heat
Another movie I've been willing to see for a long time. Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino together on a greatly written film, how couldn't anyone possibly like it? 8)
This indeed is a great, great film. But greatly written? I found the script mediocre, a bit cheesy. But like I said above, Michael Mann is the best action director and capable of shooting breathtakingly beautiful scenes.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:18 pm

Mormegil wrote: Lost In Translation
Maybe just a little bit overrated. Bill Murray is a truly great actor though.
I agree, on both statements. I'd like to recommend Groundhog Day to you, in case you like Bill Murray. Päiväni Murmelina in Finnish. It's better I think. Bill does his usual performance. You can't blame him from being too versatile, but you got to give him credit from polishing that sarcastic and laconic way of acting to near perfection.

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:26 am

We watched Road To Perdition again yesterday, brilliant movie recommended if you haven't seen it already.
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:23 pm

Carcass wrote: This indeed is a great, great film. But greatly written? I found the script mediocre, a bit cheesy. But like I said above, Michael Mann is the best action director and capable of shooting breathtakingly beautiful scenes.
Anything seems greatly written if you have DeNiro and Pacino saying it. :P
Carcass wrote: I agree, on both statements. I'd like to recommend Groundhog Day to you, in case you like Bill Murray. Päiväni Murmelina in Finnish. It's better I think. Bill does his usual performance. You can't blame him from being too versatile, but you got to give him credit from polishing that sarcastic and laconic way of acting to near perfection.
I've seen it few times and I liked it. Mostly because of Murray's performance.

Last weekend:

Sin City
Truly a unique movie, I could watch this over and over again.

Monty Python And The Holy Grail
I've seen this so many times and it always makes me laugh. The greatest comedy ever.
"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries." :D

School Of Rock
Jack Black is funny man, but this movie was kind of ordinary comedy.

Freddy Vs. Jason
Horror-movie clichés with bad actors - the collection.

Miami Vice
Fine, but nothing truly spectacular.

Hellraiser 3 - Hell On Earth
Expectionally good horror-movie sequal.

Rollerball
I'm not surprised this is 99th on IMDb's Worst Movies -list. So bad, it's not even funny.

The Stepfather
Not bad for a b-class horror.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:58 pm

The hELLRAISER Seies of Horror movies are good. If Horror can be defined as "classy" these are it. The last one, Hellworld, is supposed to be the best of the last few. A portal to Hell via the Internet? And, Lance Hendrickson as the guide---and he plays evil so brillantly! But, this DVD is so hard to find.
BTW, a theatrical movie is in the works to Kill Pinhead&Scott Bakula is supposed to revise his "Lord of Illusions" character to psyche Pinhead out so he will kill himself. This last installment is going to be the end of Pinhead. Final-Kaput! At least on Clive Barkers part. Barker said if anyone else wants to take the Pinhead saga any further, they could, but he's going to end any involvement after this last movie. Set to be released in late 2007, or 2008.

My fav Hellraiser was the second part, however, the 4th one--the origin of the Puzzle Box by Marque de Sade---was the goriest, IMO, one of the goriest movies I've ever seen. :yuk:

The reason I say these movies are "classy" is that there is an intellectual component to this idea of a Puzzle Box&the conflict of good&evil as presented. A person solves the puzzle&opens the gate to Hell, the pleasures&the pain. At the cost of one's life&soul.

The Lamentation Configuration.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:27 pm

I've only seen the first three and I'm going to watch 4th anytime soon, though even if it was the goriest of Hellraisers, I doubt it's as bad as:

Hostel
Without a doubt the sickest and goriest movie I've seen. I actually felt sick when watching this, which has never happened to me when watching a movie before. I'm never going to visit Slovakia in my life. :P

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:39 pm

Mormegil wrote:Hostel
Without a doubt the sickest and goriest movie I've seen. I actually felt sick when watching this, which has never happened to me when watching a movie before. I'm never going to visit Slovakia in my life. :P
Try Funny Games, a psychological home invason/hostage film. Really, this film is sickening! It's a slap in the face for all who enjoy watching cartoonish Hollywood violence, there are some twists that strongly suggest this is a satire. Strangely, the physical act of violence is never shown, don't know if that makes the experience better or worse.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:46 pm

Thanks for the advice, I might check it out some day. I checked its information from IMDb.com and it really seems like interesting (rated 7.6/10).

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:54 pm

Carcass wrote:
Mormegil wrote:Hostel
Try Funny Games, a psychological home invason/hostage film. Really, this film is sickening! It's a slap in the face for all who enjoy watching cartoonish Hollywood violence, there are some twists that strongly suggest this is a satire. Strangely, the physical act of violence is never shown, don't know if that makes the experience better or worse.
That reminds me of the movie FRAILTY. This was one of the weirdest movies. It was classed as horror, but not many bloody scenes, but the psychological impact was chilling&very disturbing. Handsome Matthew McConaughey as a serial killer---what a concept! :D Seriously, this movie ranked 5 stars by many critics, yet AFAIK never showed in theaters---just on Independent Film Channel&straight to video. Bill Paxton who usually plays comedic-type roles is also a serial killer&does as excellent job in his schizophrenic role as a Southern conservative widowed father&a total psychopath!
@Mormegil, I think you might like FRAILTY,too.
BTW, the ending&implications are chilling! :shud: :eek:

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:59 pm

The Grudge 2

6/10

Quite inferior to the first movie, there are less *gasp* scenes, but some are quite disturbing. The cliches in this type of movies play again a major role, so not many things will come as a real surprise. (It's almost always the same thing you await to see that will scare you) I was actually laughing through the first half hour of the movie, thinking that if a scary movie 5 appears it could be based on these 30 minutes. Maybe I'm just getting weird... :roll:

Please, tell me if someone else laughed. :shock:

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:46 am

This Is Spinal Tap - for the n-th time ... It just gets better on each viewing. It' s a cult classic and a must-see for every rock fan ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:21 pm

Twin Peaks
Probably the best series ever. It's impossible to categorize this one, it has elements from horror films (like supernatural things), absurd comedy and even soap opera (in a rather parodying way, I would say). I love the theme, it's so lovely. A lot of people will find this series too weird, I'm sure. Agent Cooper is a perfectly written character, very peculiar, but charming:

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:47 pm

Carcass wrote:Twin Peaks
Probably the best series ever. It's impossible to categorize this one, it has elements from horror films (like supernatural things), absurd comedy and even soap opera (in a rather parodying way, I would say). I love the theme, it's so lovely. A lot of people will find this series too weird, I'm sure. Agent Cooper is a perfectly written character, very peculiar, but charming:

When TWIN PEAKS aired on USA TV in the 90s it was one of the most popular series of that time. It was pre-X-Files, I think&once X-Files debuted I think TWIN PEAKS ratings slumped abit. Still, TP has&always will have, a following---like, X-Files! :)
But, yes, "Who Killed Laura Palmer?" became a household slogan as much as, "Who Shot JR?" did in its time! :D

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:51 pm

Twin Peaks is weird, but I'm trying to watch it through now that finnish TV started re-running it.

This weekend I was fortunate enough to see only good movies:

Vares 2 - Jäätynyt Enkeli
The Movie With Kotipelto's Sleep Well in it. This movie was hilarious and definetly one of the greatest Finnish-movies I've seen. I'm still laughin at some of the funniest scenes/lines. :D

Hellboy
Exceptionally good comic-book adabtion.

American Beauty
I loved this! Kevin Spacey truly deserved an Oscar for his performance.

Dr. No
The one that started it all. A classic.

Bram Stoker's Dracula
I saw this last time about 10 years ago and it was so much better than I remembered.

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:55 pm

The Tailor of Panama
Great movie! Actors, plot and the feeling were excellent!
Mormegil wrote:Vares 2 - Jäätynyt Enkeli
The Movie With Kotipelto's Sleep Well in it. This movie was hilarious and definetly one of the greatest Finnish-movies I've seen. I'm still laughin at some of the funniest scenes/lines. :D
Hmm, reviews have been quite negative about this movie...

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:56 pm

Not the allmighty IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489325/

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:56 pm

With six votes? :lol:

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:01 pm

Heh, didn't notice. :) Oh well, I loved it and many of my friends liked it a lot too. Also the statements about Pori and its residents made this movie a lot funnier if you watched it in Pori Finnkino :D

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:23 pm

Mormegil wrote:Heh, didn't notice. :) Oh well, I loved it and many of my friends liked it a lot too. Also the statements about Pori and its residents made this movie a lot funnier if you watched it in Pori Finnkino :D
I saw the trailer and wondered what the fuck this film is about. Pääkkönen looks like Marilyn Manson!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:41 pm

I wonder if Vares 2 DVD is going to be available with English subtitles? ???

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:31 pm

Devil's Advocate Th third of fourth time I watch it. Unbelievable... 10 points

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:43 pm

"Lake House". 8 points :) Nice kind movie, I cried in the end..... :oops:

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:14 pm

Saw "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer" yesterday, it completely surpassed my expectations and I thought it was going to be quite good. Incredible screenplay and the acting is top notch. Albeit it was quite bizarre towards the end. Quite a bit of nudity too but I don't complain.
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:27 am

stratoplayer wrote:Saw "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer" yesterday, it completely surpassed my expectations and I thought it was going to be quite good. Incredible screenplay and the acting is top notch. Albeit it was quite bizarre towards the end. Quite a bit of nudity too but I don't complain.
The book is also bizarre towards the end (probably because the movie is based on it ;-)). I didn't see the movie, only read the book. I liked it, but the end is too crazy.