Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
browneyedgirl
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:28 pm

Carcass wrote:What was the thing With Angelina's phony exotic&archaic accent? I didn't get it.
She was playing Olympia, Alexander's young mama and I guess Angelina was trying to get into character, I guess. ??? According to historical facts Angelina was acting pretty close because Olympia was a mean, conniving bitch who had Alexander's father's new wife&baby son killed after he divorced Olympia. "Hell hath no fury". :roll: I won't even go into how she controlled&overshadowd Alexander. "The hand who rocks the cradle, rules the world." History books were not kind to Olympia, to say the least. I guess she deserves it. :roll:

Actually, that movie had as many historical errors&omissions as Kingdom of Heaven did. I hate it when that happens. Both movies were historically-based, but digressed from the facts in so many ways. I guess writers&directors want these movies to appeal to the romantic and chivalous part in all of us, but still I wish they would stick to the facts.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:49 pm

I find these historical spectacles quite boring. Gladiator, Alexander, Kingdom of Heaven... all of them failed to impress me. Braveheart is well made, but too much of a good vs. bad story for me. My brother said Rome was a decent series. Too bad I missed it, it was aired the same time as Six Feet Under, one of the very few series I've watched. Bad Luck.

The best historical films are made by Monty Python and Mel Brooks. :lol:

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:51 pm

Don't forget Troy.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:53 pm

Seemed quite bad judging from the few minutes I saw. I liked Brad Pitt's special move though. You know, the jump/strike thing.

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:58 pm

Angel Heart- (Robert DeNiro, Mickey Rourke, Lisa Bonet)

Saw it nearly twenty (!) years ago, and we recently blew the dust off of an old VHS home video release.

Not many "horror" movies these days qualify as what I would consider to be even remotely scary. A very complex plot with many unexpected twists and turns regarding private investigator Harold Angel(Rourke) that is hired by an attorney named Winesap for a missing persons case on behalf of an oddly named client, Louis Cyphre (DeNiro).

The trail of the missing person, a singer named Johnny Favorite, who presumably owes a major debt to Mister Cyphre, leads from the streets of New York to the bayou country in Louisiana, with many references to it's voodoo and black magic sub-cultures.

In a short time, the bodies of most of Johnny Favorite's former associates begin to pile up, and Angel goes from being a private investigator to a suspect in multiple murder cases, as he edges ever closer to what may to be a very unsettling truth.

**Spoiler*** do not read past this if you have not seen the movie.

My favorite dialog from the screenplay-

Cyphre> "Alas . . .how terrible is wisdom if it brings no profit to the wise, Johnny."

Angel> "Louis Cyphre, . . .Lucifer! Even your name is a dime store joke."

Cyphre> "Mephistopheles" is such a mouthful in Manhattan, Johnny."

Angel> "Do you think posing as the devil,just because it scared a superstitious old guitar player, and that witch, and that nutty old man, do you think it's going to scare me? It ain't, because I know who I am. You killed them, and you're trying to pin it on me. I know who I am."

-> FF

Angel> "I want to tell Winesap, he knows!"

Cyphre> "He's dead. Nasty accident. Don't worry, no one will mourn one less lawyer. Death is everywhere these days."

Cyphre> "But what gives human life its worth, anyway? Because someone loves it, hates it. The flesh is weak. Only the soul is immortal. And yours belongs to me!"

Angel> "I know who I am."

Cyphre> "That's it Johnny, take a good look! However cleverly you sneak up on the mirror, your reflection always looks you straight in the eye."

Masterfully portrayed by DeNiro, this excerpts above are among the most terrifying lines of dialog I've ever seen in any movie.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:21 pm

Yeah, I saw Angelheart in the early 90s! It is not only Horror, but, IMO, a good mystery as well! I think I caught on to "the secret"(who Harold Angel really was)about the middle of the movie, but I was so caught up in the eerieness of it, I kept watching!

I wonder why there wasn't an Angel Heart 2?

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:30 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:Yeah, I saw Angelheart in the early 90s! It is not only Horror, but, IMO, a good mystery as well! I think I caught on to "the secret"(who Harold Angel really was)about the middle of the movie, but I was so caught up in the eerieness of it, I kept watching!

I think one reason why Alan Parker did not do a sequel, is due to the fact that IMO- that the original film was sort of a self-contained entity, meaning that with the central character out of the story (remember the elevator ride down at the end?) that all loose ends were wrapped up, and left little room for a follow-up.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:05 pm

miditek wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:Yeah, I saw Angelheart in the early 90s! It is not only Horror, but, IMO, a good mystery as well! I think I caught on to "the secret"(who Harold Angel really was)about the middle of the movie, but I was so caught up in the eerieness of it, I kept watching!

I think one reason why Alan Parker did not do a sequel, is due to the fact that IMO- that the original film was sort of a self-contained entity, meaning that with the central character out of the story (remember the elevator ride down at the end?) that all loose ends were wrapped up, and left little room for a follow-up.
It was also chilling when it was revealed who the Lisa Bonet's character really was!Especially given Angel's relationship to her!!! :eek:

This movie's totally uncut version(the one I saw)almost garnered an X-rating because of the content, goriness&nude sex scenes by Bonet.
It was actually more a psychological thriller, IMO. A scary movie that makes you think. About the line between good&evil, and actually how easy it is to cross that line in the wrong circumstances.

I'd like to see that movie again--maybe I should see into renting it again. :)

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:02 am

browneyedgirl wrote:
miditek wrote:

It was also chilling when it was revealed who the Lisa Bonet's character really was!Especially given Angel's relationship to her!!! :eek:

This movie's totally uncut version(the one I saw)almost garnered an X-rating because of the content, goriness&nude sex scenes by Bonet.
It was actually more a psychological thriller, IMO. A scary movie that makes you think. About the line between good&evil, and actually how easy it is to cross that line in the wrong circumstances.

I think that most of the killings occurred off screen for dramatic effect, and was also an aid to the overall storyline and plot. In the age of brutal onscreen killings, I think that the way Parker handled the violence certainly led to the film being all the more creepy.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:00 am

miditek wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:
miditek wrote:

I think that most of the killings occurred off screen for dramatic effect, and was also an aid to the overall storyline and plot. In the age of brutal onscreen killings, I think that the way Parker handled the violence certainly led to the film being all the more creepy.
I remember that elevator scene now! ;) It was weird----it kept going throughout the credits. But, I don't think anyone is going to ride an elevator to where that guy was going! :D

Wasn't that film done on location, in New Orleans? I have a documentary on Stephen King&he said Angel Heart was one of his fav horror movies&I think he mentions it was filmed in or near the New Orleans area. ???

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:15 am

Battlefield Earth with Rifftrax commentary. For those of you who don't what those commentaries are - it's Mike Nelson and the MST3K gang making fun of movies again, this time they are after big and stupid Hollywood flops like Battlefield Earth ... The movie is almost watchable with this commentary track ...

www.rifftrax.com
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:34 am

Just watched:

Head of State: With Chris rock? just...don't waste time or money on this one.
John Q.: From what I think, an extremely good movie. Not realistic when it comes to the medical stuff, but still great. 10/10
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:34 pm

Stratofanius wrote:What the fuck??!!! Sean Connery is the best Bond actor ever, and that movie is nearly as good as From Russia with Love, Goldfinger and Live and Let Die, which are probably the best Bond movies!
I agree about Sean Connery being the best Bond actor, but unfortunately he was the only good thing in that movie. :P

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:16 pm

Smokin' Aces

disappointing. The trailer promised much more. In the end an undecided, inconsequent mix of thriller, bizzar comedy, and drama. The story twist is superfluous, nobody needs it. Only the first third of the film is good, with a nice introduction of the characters.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:03 pm

Das Leben Der Anderen (The Life Of Others)

German movie that just earned the oscar for best foreign film. And this movie is really a small juwell!

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:14 pm

I'll quote Equi's most frequently used word for this one. :wink:
Whatever
I don't want to sound harsh, but it wasn't as epic as it could be.
Hollywood has taken some history lessons since Troy apparently, which is something plausible. (Yes, Leonidas dies at the end at the right place :shock: ) Yet, I can't distinguish this movie from the rest. The usual ingredients that they make movies with were used here.
A lot of action, a lot of violence and some (about a minute) sex. :roll: :D

Nice way to pass a Saturday evening though. For that I give it a 6/10

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:27 am

stratobabius wrote:300

I'll quote Equi's most frequently used word for this one. :wink:
Whatever
I don't want to sound harsh, but it wasn't as epic as it could be.
Hollywood has taken some history lessons since Troy apparently, which is something plausible. (Yes, Leonidas dies at the end at the right place :shock: ) Yet, I can't distinguish this movie from the rest. The usual ingredients that they make movies with were used here.
A lot of action, a lot of violence and some (about a minute) sex. :roll: :D

Nice way to pass a Saturday evening though. For that I give it a 6/10
I must thank you for 2 things:

Quoting me, I greatly appreciate this act of friendlyness and loyalty.
For telling me the end of the movie that I was going to watch tomorrow night. thank you, very much. :x

:wink: :)

I watched "Death In The Bunker"
Better than "The Bunker" :D

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:42 am

Equinox wrote:Just watched:

Head of State: With Chris rock? just...don't waste time or money on this one.
John Q.: From what I think, an extremely good movie. Not realistic when it comes to the medical stuff, but still great. 10/10

My son gave me Head of State(1 of many DVDs) for X-Mas, and I agree. :( It's funny, but not that funny. :( I'd rather watch 3 Stooges for Comedy relief. So, Equinox, I agree. Chris Rock I love, but he wasted his talents on this Flop. :(

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:56 pm

Equinox wrote:For telling me the end of the movie that I was going to watch tomorrow night. thank you, very much.
My pleasure. :D
I decided to add that the last minute, but there are other things to see there too. :wink:
Another last minute add; If the director had decided to add the battle of Plataea,I think it would be epic enough.

britt1989

re:

Post by britt1989 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:10 pm

Ghost Rider :)
Norbit :lol:
300 :nice and gory
Zodiac :o

(btw i work at a movie theater so if anyone needs a review just ask)

stratovana

Post by stratovana » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:55 pm

Mindhunters !

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:47 am

stratobabius wrote:
Equinox wrote:For telling me the end of the movie that I was going to watch tomorrow night. thank you, very much.
My pleasure. :D
I decided to add that the last minute, but there are other things to see there too. :wink:
Another last minute add; If the director had decided to add the battle of Plataea,I think it would be epic enough.
Come on, we are in the topic for movies. If you tell something about the end of a film, please announce SPOILER. This might help.

Just this evening: The last King of Scotland
Disappointing. Too narrow perspective on Uganda, a not very authentic main character (Dr.Garrigan), no tension. Though, Whitaker gives an interesting character sketch of Idi Amin. IMO this psychological study was the only interesting thing in the movie and could have had a bigger part.

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:55 pm

Ok, sorry to eveyone who didn't want to know it. I'll try to remember that from now on. :)

I didn't know where to put this so...

Funny, I just heard Stratosphere on a greek sitcom...

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:56 pm

stratobabius wrote: Funny, I just heard Stratosphere on a greek sitcom...
Really??? :shock:

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:57 pm

Yes, it was the Episode version as we all know it. :D

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:05 am

stratobabius wrote:Yes, it was the Episode version as we all know it. :D
The other day I was looking at a ball game and a Epica song was playing in the background. XD

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:07 am

stratobabius wrote:Ok, sorry to eveyone who didn't want to know it. I'll try to remember that from now on. :)

I didn't know where to put this so...

Funny, I just heard Stratosphere on a greek sitcom...
Cool! 8)

In the USA alot of rock songs are played in the background of Soap Operas&the show, Cold Case uses some great background music. Maybe someday they may use Stratovarius stuff. ??? Well, a person can hope......:)

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:14 pm

yesterday, the newest episode from "Stromberg", a German series like the British "The Office". It wasn't as good as the previous ones. :?

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:13 pm

Requiem For A Dream
One of the most powerful and darkest movies I've seen. I especially liked the fact [spoiler] it didn't have any happy happy Hollywood-ending.[/spoiler]

Hellraiser: Bloodline
Well I'll be damned, an enjoyable horror movie -sequal. Just wondering what the remake of the original Hellraiser will be like...

Hostage
Bruce Willis playing the same character he always does, but does it well.

Firewall
Didn't expect much, didn't get much. An ok -movie.

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:08 am

Number 23

Crazy. Paranoid. Make an appointment with a shrink before watching. :P
Jim Carrey in a very good role.

Hoodwinked!

This one is crazy too, but you can laugh here. A multilayered kid-story.

I'll try to see a Spanish one called Las Horas Del Dia (the hours of the day) today if I have time.

EDIT: Ok, I saw this one. Too cult for me. I didn't understand a thing. :D