Favorite Jens Johansson solo album?

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.

Favorite Jens Johansson side project?

The Last Viking
41%
Fission
29%
Heavy Machinery
12%
Ten Seasons
12%
Fjäderlösa Tvåfotingar
No votes
Some other of his side projects (eg: E, Unseen Rain, etc.)
6%

Total votes: 17

Chokehold
Favorite Jens Johansson solo album?

Post by Chokehold » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:01 pm

I vote for Fission... IMO his creative masterpiece. The solos in Race Condition are crazy!!! Phase Camouflage and Acrostic Shibboleth are other of my favorites. In fact, there isn't a song on the album that I don't love (except Beautiful Lung Dogs but is that really a song?). I am crazy for this album.

BTW, is the track from Fission on his website the Japanese bonus track? Because it's not on the American version, so it must be. It sounds like Mike Stern playing the guitar solo.

Does anybody know which of Jens' solo albums Jens himself is most partial to? Least partial to? Just curious.

browneyedgirl

Re: Favorite Jens Johansson solo album?

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:07 pm

My son bought The Last Viking last year from CD Baby, and it sounds pretty good. He is intending to buy a couple more, but AFAIK he hasn't yet.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

CrystallineStarchild

Post by CrystallineStarchild » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:15 pm

you are insane

dirge

Post by dirge » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:19 pm

Not heard any yet, except for one song, though not sure what album it's from, but hope to get some if not all of his albums sooner or later. :)

Lapazeus

Post by Lapazeus » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:31 pm

I actually have quite a few Johansson albums. (for the record, real cds, not mp3s!)

Heavy Machinery: 9

Probably my second favourite after Ten Seasons. Great fusion jazz with the legendary Allan Holdsworth. The album has a unique flow and mood. You have Jens who is known for his guitar-imitating solos and you have Allan who is known for his synth-imitating style. This makes the album more interesting as the solowork is woven together seamlessly.

Ten Seasons:

Just Jens and a grand piano! Improvised piano music, very relaxing stuff. The album focuses in emotions and music rather than speed or soloing, even though there are some baroque themes here and there. This is the album you will pick on a rainy day and just listen to it with your eyes closed. Wistful music with dark and light themes, kind of a journey in your feelings and thoughts. I love this album, but it's not something you can listen to every day.

The Last Viking: 6+

Neoclassical hard rock with an old school approach. Features the amazing Mike Romeo! Its a shame that he, mainly, just plays boring background rhythm riffs. Even though the album has some pretty nice neoclassical harpsichord shredding by Jens, its actually quite boring and straightforward. The fact the drums sound like a cheap midi track doesn't help at all. All in all, I'd recommend this only for Johansson fans as a curiosity. For great neoclassical stuff with Jens, go for the early Malmsteen albums.

Sonic Winter:

This is traditional hard rock like the more known Last Viking. However, I like this album much more. Sonic Winter has a refreshing bluesy touch while it has some intense neoclassical stuff as well. Though showing great skill, the neoclassical instrumental pieces seem almost redundant if you think the album as a whole. The production isn't very great and the sound feels very dry. If you want to hear how Jens handles blues this album is for you!

Fission:

Great fusion jazz! Mike Stern and Shawn Lane! Partly improvised, partly very calculated and mathematically structured. Technically flawless, but the songs aren't as accessible as on Heavy Machinery.

Fjäderlösa Tvåfotingar: ???

Weird and experimental fusion-progressive-electronic-something-stuff :wink: I can't really rate this. Hear for your self.

Unseen Rain: 8

This is clearly Ginger Baker's project. Jens plays some (improvised?) piano stuff on the background. This record is great background music as it focuses in mellow rhythmic patterns - both percussion and bass-wise. Jens is here to spice it up with some piano melodies.

Chokehold

Post by Chokehold » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:56 am

On CD I have:

The Last Viking
Fission
Heavy Machinery
Ten Seasons
Fjäderlösa Tvåfotinga

E (Jonas Hellborg Group featuring Jens and Anders Johansson)

On MP3:

Unseen Rain (Ginger Baker featuring Jens Johansson on Jonas Hellborg)... I might order this some day soon.

I can't say which album is the best/worst as the style of many of them are too different to compare to each other.

But in order of preference:

Fission ("polytechnoid progressive rock" jazz fusion)
The Last Viking (melodic power metal)
Heavy Machinery, E, and Fjäderlösa Tvåfotinga (groovy/funky fusion albums)
Ten Season and Unseen Rain (beautiful laid back piano albums, but can't listen to them every day like Lapazeus said)

Oceanids

Post by Oceanids » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:02 pm

Who is Jens Johansson?

StratoTimo

Post by StratoTimo » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:10 pm

Oceanids wrote:Who is Jens Johansson?
:lol: :lol: :lol: If you don't know that who is Jens...Then I don't know what is Stratovarius :wink: :D
Meikä Ankka

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:50 am

Oceanids wrote:Who is Jens Johansson?
lol :D

april fool
Spamming is serious business!

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:37 pm

I have only listened to the Fission album..