Finnish "Guitar Heroes" Album

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
browneyedgirl
Finnish "Guitar Heroes" Album

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:34 pm

Coming soon!

Featuring Timo Tolkki, Alexi Laiho, Roope Latvala, Emppu Vuounen, and more.........

Sounds really cool! 8)

I'll get more info on this tidbit. I got this from a Google Alert! :)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

black death

Re: Finnish "Guitar Heroes" Album

Post by black death » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:00 pm

YES!!!
I saw it at www.metalfromfinland.com :shock:

By the way, haven't anyone of you heard about something called "Welcome to Hell"? :? There should be some famous Finnish singers (including TK)...

StratoFabio

Post by StratoFabio » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:05 am

it will be an instrumental album?
StratoFabio

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:10 am

According to the news from blabbermouth.net/MFF it will be yes an instrumental album, composed by Laiho & Latvala. It will include about 10 guitarists among Tolkki and Vuorinen. :)

Have to buy it absolutely, it might be a real blast album. 8)
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

StratoTimo

Post by StratoTimo » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:13 am

browneyedgirl wrote:Coming soon!

Featuring Timo Tolkki, Alexi Laiho, Roope Latvala, Emppu Vuounen, and more.........

Sounds really cool! 8)

That's cool, but who is Emppu Vuounen??? :roll:
I know one guitarist in Finnish band who have almost same name but he is not that who you mean... Can I Introduce him to you?: He is From the Band Nightwish and name is Emppu Vuorinen 8)

Edit: Me too!!! Immediately when it's in somewhere!
Meikä Ankka

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:50 am

Fantastic. I love Emppu's playing, and I'd like to see him display his skills a bit more! This is gonna be awsome :D
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

cliff

Post by cliff » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:03 pm

IceBreaker wrote:According to the news from blabbermouth.net/MFF it will be yes an instrumental album, composed by Laiho & Latvala. It will include about 10 guitarists among Tolkki and Vuorinen. :)

Have to buy it absolutely, it might be a real blast album. 8)
If I was you, I'd try to listen to the album before buying it, to be sure it is worth it.

You know, it's not because really talented musicians unite together that it necessary make the album "great" (ex : Ari Koivunen album, Rakastaa Joulua project or even Altaria stuffs).
Still, the project sounds really interesting!!
<b>This is wrong</b>

IceBreaker

Post by IceBreaker » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:19 pm

We will see then whether the album is great or not so great. But I will buy that album surely. :-)
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

StratoTimo

Post by StratoTimo » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:32 pm

Stratofanius wrote:Laiho? Latvala? Vuorinen? Someone thinks that they are GUITAR HEROES? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:puke:

(sorry, it's just my honest opinion)
I totally agree with you, those three are not so good guitarists...But what You say about Elias Viljanen???
Meikä Ankka

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:35 pm

StratoTimo wrote:
Stratofanius wrote:Laiho? Latvala? Vuorinen? Someone thinks that they are GUITAR HEROES? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:puke:

(sorry, it's just my honest opinion)
I totally agree with you, those three are not so good guitarists...But what You say about Elias Viljanen???
And Liimatainen?

IceBreaker

Post by IceBreaker » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:15 am

Really no idea will Liimatainen or specially Viljanen participate in it. But if yes, it will give some additional worth for the album (at least in my and ST´s opinion).

StratoTimo

Post by StratoTimo » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:14 am

ST wrote:Really no idea will Liimatainen or specially Viljanen participate in it. But if yes, it will give some additional worth for the album (at least in my and IB´s opinion).
Meikä Ankka

IceBreaker

Post by IceBreaker » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:03 pm

^^Yes yes. :roll:

finnlandia

Post by finnlandia » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:30 pm

Wow cool :)

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:52 am

I think Laiho is an outstanding player. Certainly very influential and well-known. The context of CoB's music doesn't really do much for exploring versatility however.

black death

Post by black death » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:10 pm

NeonVomit wrote:I think Laiho is an outstanding player. Certainly very influential and well-known. The context of CoB's music doesn't really do much for exploring versatility however.
I don't know...I've heard some (not all) CDs of Children of Bodom and I didn't hear anything outstanding in his playing :? . But I'll see them on Saturday, so I'm quite curious about it...how it sounds LIVE :roll:

AMBR@BEC

Post by AMBR@BEC » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:22 pm

NeonVomit wrote:I think Laiho is an outstanding player. Certainly very influential and well-known. The context of CoB's music doesn't really do much for exploring versatility however.
I thought he was outstanding a while back, but the last few times I saw him in NYC he seemed to be going through the motions. He was much better at Tuska last week, though, so perhaps he can still pull it off when he wants to.
“He who despairs of the human condition is a coward, but he who has hope for it is a fool” A. Camus

Beyond Ear Candy Metal Radio
beyondearcandy.com
Photos from 2008 Winter NAMM and Blog on Ben in Iraq on MySpace myspace.com/ambr_bec

vanustrato

Post by vanustrato » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:58 pm

Steve Vai
Walter Giardino

:P

dirge

Post by dirge » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:39 am

browneyedgirl wrote:Coming soon!

Sounds really cool! 8)

Is it going to be new songs for this album or just tracks from other projects?
If it's new stuff then, i'll give it a gander! 8)

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:37 am

vanustrato wrote:Steve Vai
Walter Giardino

Yeah because, like, they're Finnish, right? :D

black death

Post by black death » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:51 am

AMBR@BEC wrote:
I thought he was outstanding a while back, but the last few times I saw him in NYC he seemed to be going through the motions. He was much better at Tuska last week, though, so perhaps he can still pull it off when he wants to.
I saw Children of Bodom on Saturday (July 14)...the gig was not bad, but all the time they looked like they're looking forward to the end. Besides that, I still don't understand why so many people consider Alexi to be somehow outstanding quitar player :? . I really didn't hear anything exceptionally great in his playing!
Moreover...one funny thing :lol: - they said on the stage that they've never been in our country :roll: ...a few people around me were quite surprised by that, 'cause they (according to their words) WERE at COB gig HERE some time ago :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe "he can still pull it off when he wants to", but WHEN he wants? I think he (or whoever else) should want everytime! Fans are those who pay that, so I'd say they should get what they paid for :!:

cliff

Post by cliff » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:14 pm

I watched few minutes of a video in which he teachs some COB riffs. I didn't find his guitar abilities particularly amazing on it, he sounded like any talented "teen" who has played the guitar for a couple of years : quite good skills, but nothing extraordinary. It seems to me that people considers Alexi like a brilliant guitar player mostly because Bodom is quite popular and people are tended to consider the musicians in their fave band as their favorite musicians as well. You know, when a guitar magazine publish a poll and people say that Slash is the best guitar player ever, Kurt Cobain is the second, Kirk Hammett the third and Korn player the fourth, and then there are guitarists like Randy Roads or Tommi Iommi at the rank 50, then you should ask yourself questions about how serious this poll is :)

On the other hand, I think it's completely stupid to judge someone else's skills, when we are not able to do the same ourselves, so I don't really have any opinion.
What is sure, is that Alexi is much better than +/- 85% of the guitar players you can see on Youtube. Sometimes I really really sorry for some guitar pp there, they have no sense of rythm, their guitar is hardly tuned, they play a solo in a different tune than the original :)
<b>This is wrong</b>

vanustrato

Post by vanustrato » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:17 am

NeonVomit wrote:
vanustrato wrote:Steve Vai
Walter Giardino

Yeah because, like, they're Finnish, right? :D
yep in them soul xD

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:08 am

On the other hand, why compare players and bands? And why argue?
What purpose does that serve?

Dark Eternity

Post by Dark Eternity » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:58 pm

Timo is right.The way i see it that every band or guitar player is good in their own way, you know they have something unique that makes them fans to keep listen to them no matter what.. Correct if iam wrong :)
Highs And Lows/Shadow And light Of My Life

Luther_Harkon

Post by Luther_Harkon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:11 pm

I really think that the name of the album refers to well known guitarrist, wich have their own style. And let's be honest: almost none of us could play all the songs from this guitar players... Each one of them believes in what their playing, and that makes them good musicians. I do really agree with Timo & DArk Eternity that there's no point on discusing about wich is the best guitar player.

BTW, there's a recent new in MMF bout this album. Each guitarist has composed their own songs without any chaining. I'm sure I'm gonna buy this album the very first day it comes out!

With love;
Luther
:headbang: Keep eatin metal & shittin chains :headbang:

IceBreaker

Post by IceBreaker » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:03 pm

Luther_Harkon wrote:BTW, there's a recent new in MMF bout this album. Each guitarist has composed their own songs without any chaining. I'm sure I'm gonna buy this album the very first day it comes out!
Yeah, sounds great. :)

GUITAR HEROES album (releasedate November 7th) gathers the baddest and most respected metalguitarists from Finland together. The album is purely instrumental and it will contain guitarists like Timo Tolkki (Stratovarius), Alexi Laiho and Roope Latvala (Children Of Bodom), Emppu Vuorinen (Nightwish), Esa Holopainen (Amorphis), Sakari Hietala (Tarot), Tuomio (ex-Impaled Nazarene), Euge Valovirta (Godsplague, Suburban Tribe), Mikko Salovaara (Kiuas), Nino Laurenne (Thunderstone) and Mr. Crab (Bleak).

The rhythm section contains the drummer Kai Hahto (Wintersun, Rotten Sound) and bassplayer Lauri Porra (Stratovarius, Warmen, Kotipelto).

Each guitarist has composed their own songs without any chaining elements and the album ends with a song containg all the guitarists together.

Producer Nino Laurenne (Thunderstone) said that "It was great to have all the guitarists I wanted on this album. Most of them have even recorded with their own amplifiers and therefore their unique sound can be heard on this album."

Interview of Alexi Laiho concerning GUITAR HEROES-album. Includes studio material. Alexi also revealed in the interview that the new Children Of Bodom album will be released on March 2008. View the interview at this location. (interview in finnish)

Source: www.mtv3.fi
You find that on: http://www.metalfromfinland.com/news/20 ... ,+Vuorinen...

dirge

Post by dirge » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:20 pm

:D Sounds promising! A song where they all play on at the end too! Sweet! 8)

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:03 pm

Luther_Harkon wrote:I really think that the name of the album refers to well known guitarrist, wich have their own style. And let's be honest: almost none of us could play all the songs from this guitar players... Each one of them believes in what their playing, and that makes them good musicians. I do really agree with Timo & DArk Eternity that there's no point on discusing about wich is the best guitar player.

BTW, there's a recent new in MMF bout this album. Each guitarist has composed their own songs without any chaining. I'm sure I'm gonna buy this album the very first day it comes out!

With love;
Luther
Well I cannot play my solos the same twice and I never considered myself as a "guitar hero". I mean, I never had a hydraulic riser or a tramboline. After playing guitar for 34 years and rock about 25 years you tend to move away from your whatever it is that you have developed. I tend to think that guitar solos are most of the time very boring and technical masturbation doesn´t interest me the least bit. Just for fun, listen to "Over the Mountain" of Ozzy/Randy Rhoads (Diary of a Madman) or anything from Gary Moore´s "Corridors of Power" or "Victims of the Future" (he did have a hydraulic riser tho, and I saw that gig and of course it didnt come down, which resulted in a very embarrasing incident in the form of ladder to bring our guitar hero down) and you will instantly feel the solos emotional depth yet technical aspect. The best instrumental for me is "For the love of God" by Steve Vai. It is such an emotional piece of music. I read that he was fasting a week before recording that and that he was in real big pain. You can hear that in this song.

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:17 am

TimoTolkki wrote:The best instrumental for me is "For the love of God" by Steve Vai. It is such an emotional piece of music. I read that he was fasting a week before recording that and that he was in real big pain. You can hear that in this song.
I never knew that, and I love that song, also Blue Powder, no wonder he got that effect, talk about putting your mind and body into your music...
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends