HERMAN LI IS AN ALIEN!!!

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
htcdude
Re: HERMAN LI IS AN ALIEN!!!

Post by htcdude » Mon May 22, 2006 8:09 pm

ZP is a great singer man he can get notes when he needs to
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

FakeTolkki

Post by FakeTolkki » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:42 pm

well...ive seen a lot of dragonforce videos playing alive and zp was terrible in all of em

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:41 pm

He seemed pretty ok the times I saw them live.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

HuhJuh

Post by HuhJuh » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:56 pm

i cant say one guitarist is better than the others.. because they pretty much all have completly different styles.. but i think herman is an alien..
he's just too fast in some parts..
..Trading Innocence For Permanent Psychotic Hell..

Martine

How many kind of metal?

Post by Martine » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:28 am

Hello everyone:

Yesterday, I rented a DVD at the video store. It is called "Metal Handbanger's Journey". Having heard of it? It's Canadian. Really good.

The guy (I unfortunately don't remember his name) went around the planet to study all kinds of metal and interview old group members like Black Sabbath (Guitarist Iommi) who apparently is the real inventor of metal sound. This was confirmed by other groups. I didn't know that.

I'm an oldie (42) and in my "old" time (1980) there were three kinds of metal: metal, heavy metal and punk. That's all.

I was amazed of how many kinds there are now. In fact the same groups which used to be considered as Heavy Metal have now been categorized for example as:

Industrial Metal: Marilyn Manson
Stoner Metal: Kyuss
Trash: Metallica, Anthrax
Hard Alternative
Grunge: Nirvana
Power Metal: Hammerfall
Glam Metal: Mötley Crue, Twisted Sister
Shock Rock: Kiss
Early Metal: Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath
Progressive Metal: Rush
Original Hard Rock: AC/DC
Early Punk: Sex Pistols
New Wave of British Heavy Metal: Motör Head
New Wave of American Metal
Norvegian Black Metal: Gorgoroth
Goth Metal
Nu Metal: Korn, Slipknot, System of a Down
Grind Core: Napaim Death

and many more.

Someone said the other day something like "Oh, no, this song (or this group) is not real metal) Yeah Right! What is real metal now? Anyway who cares, as long as it sounds like.

In the DVD, they showed Wacken 2005. Wish I was there. You don't know how lucky you are to have those gigs over there.
:cry:

If all metal groups are categorized, where do we put Stratovarius? Power metal?

I'm completely lost. :)
Martine, The Truly French Canadian
Martine, Une vraie canadienne française
http://www.myspace.com/martine42

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:27 am

Stratovarius is generally considered Progressive Power metal.

But yeah, kind of off-topic for this thread! ;)

Holy Light

Post by Holy Light » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:52 am

Dragonforce has some ok guitar work. In my opinion, there are better guitarists out there. At least they are making a name for the genre. I just hope Power Metal doesn't become a joke. Some bands tend to take their music very seriously.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:57 am

Holy Light wrote:Dragonforce has some ok guitar work. In my opinion, there are better guitarists out there. At least they are making a name for the genre. I just hope Power Metal doesn't become a joke. Some bands tend to take their music very seriously.
I think they work as an effective counter-weight to power metal bands who take themselves too seriously.

But yeah, let's hope there aren't loads of bands trying to copy the whole video-game-metal thing. That would get old REAL fast.

Ahlimatainen

Post by Ahlimatainen » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:38 am

Man... when he was invited by ibanez to play with guitar gods like Vai, Gilbert and satch it made me lose all faith in mankind...

ChromeSatch

Post by ChromeSatch » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:09 pm

Sam has better ideas, but doesn't have the skill of Herman. Herman is the exact opposite.
Exactly. When listening to their cd's I prefer Sam's solos (It's not by chance that he writes most songs), but I saw them live twice, and the first time Sam played almost ok, while Herman really well. The second time Sam played SHITTY and Herman again quite clearly and accurately.

By the way, their 3rd album was a disappointment for me, because I LOVED the first two. It seems to me so much less inspired.
On the black wind forever we ride on together
Destroying your evil with freedom our guide
When the master will call us
He'll stand high before us
Our hearts filled with splendour
Our swords will shine over the light

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:21 pm

I haven't heard their new stuff live...still not sure if i want to...when it's played on the album....it's just not the same..nowhere near as good or enjoyable as the first 2 albums.
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:21 am

I dunno. I've heard mixed reports. They seem to just not really care when they play live now and just mess around. Really professional of them huh! :roll:

cliff

Post by cliff » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:07 pm

here is one story about Dragonforce :

the band was meant to play at the Raismes festival (France) last year or 2 years ago. They were supposed to play in the middle of the day (not headline) because they are not "that" famous here, at least not as popular as some other bands who were meant to play the same day.

When the band manager heard that Dragonforce will not play headline, he did everything for it. He didn't care that some other bands who had to play the same day were more famous than Dragonforce (and therefore deserved to be headline), he just repeated that Dragonforce was the most talented band in that festival and therefore they HAD to play headline.
Then, the manager said "Dragonforce will not move their ass to come to your festival if we are not headline, so, if you still want us to play there, give us much more money (officially to cover the fees for coming)".
After that, the festival manager got really upset and told them smt like "listen up guys : stay in UK, you're not welcome to our festival anymore. we prefer to give a chance to a better band than yours, who doesn't have such a extreme high-esteem and disrespect others". Dragonforce was finally replaced by Symphorce and Machine Men. And yes, 2 MUCH better bands than Dragonforce.
<b>This is wrong</b>

Llageran

Post by Llageran » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:40 pm

Herman Li is a cunt......a quote of Sam in a british guitar-magazine. I can say that I'm not very impressed by him. It sounds cool on album, but live it's just a big mess.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:11 am

NeonVomit wrote:Stratovarius is generally considered Progressive Power metal.

But yeah, kind of off-topic for this thread! ;)
I always like the term Epic Metal

Fuuso

Post by Fuuso » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:55 pm

I like Dragonforce, but sometimes their music just seems like a big cliche. Epic lyrics, cheesy band name, crazy tempo, endless guitar harmonies and ridiculously fast solos. They shouldn't write stuff they can't perform live. To me, seeing a band live is the thing, not listening to their album. Sure, Sam and Herman are talented musicians, but sometimes they just seem to spend too much time in the studio ignoring the fact that they should play the stuff live. I'm not saying they suck live all the time, but sometimes they do suck...
and yes, Herman Li could actually be an alien :D

KilledByDETH

Post by KilledByDETH » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:51 am

Fuuso wrote:I like Dragonforce, but sometimes their music just seems like a big cliche. Epic lyrics, cheesy band name, crazy tempo, endless guitar harmonies and ridiculously fast solos. They shouldn't write stuff they can't perform live. To me, seeing a band live is the thing, not listening to their album. Sure, Sam and Herman are talented musicians, but sometimes they just seem to spend too much time in the studio ignoring the fact that they should play the stuff live. I'm not saying they suck live all the time, but sometimes they do suck...
and yes, Herman Li could actually be an alien :D
I said this before and ill say it again, Dragonforce is dogshit and sucked Sharons Osbournes hairy twat to come here to america.
:oops:
/Thread

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:51 pm

Their utter lack of understanding of the concept of dynamics is also an issue.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:33 pm

HuhJuh wrote:i cant say one guitarist is better than the others.. because they pretty much all have completly different styles.. but i think herman is an alien..
he's just too fast in some parts..
Bullshit, I can play close 16 notes a second, and I'm no alien.

KilledByDETH

Post by KilledByDETH » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:57 am

all they are is a band that JAck osbourne liked and got them on ozzfest , and whoa! more people in what?? dumbass america here , hear them and think its power metal , whatever that is , and then when they listen to STRATOVARIUS!! , what do they say???? oh that sounds like dragonforce!! , true story , SO FUCK THAT !!! those guys just got too hyped up just like some many other lame bands on Sharonfest.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:25 am

For me great songwriting, great at every instruments, great melody with normal song and solos, unique sounds. Great one of a kind vocals.

People that don't like them should ignore them and stop whining and throwing irrational temper tantrums. It’s not normal to listen and/ or insult art that you are free to listen to or avoid if you want.

KilledByDETH

Post by KilledByDETH » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:40 pm

Whoa, dragonforce is your perception of art? so sad.... what a waste of a life.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:25 pm

KilledByDETH wrote:Whoa, dragonforce is your perception of art? so sad.... what a waste of a life.
Look, just accept the fact that some people enjoy other stuff that you might not.

Art is not objective. More people might think one thing is good, or not.

Fine, you don't like Dragonforce. I'm not exactly a huge fan either, but I don' mind them. Plenty of other people don't like them either. Who else is bitching and moaning about them though? Okay, we get the point.

StratoÄijä

Post by StratoÄijä » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:11 pm

He sure is an alien :lol:
Winter - The realm of eternal ice
Snowfall and darkness descends upon the vales of time
Distant caress of the sun's fading light
The lands were painted white with the Winter's might

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:01 pm

Whoa, dragonforce is your perception of art? so sad.... what a waste of a life.

Why the hostility? Why is it sad that I can appreciate all creation and don't judge as good or bad but whether I like it or not? You sound like the kind of person that would insult a preschool finger painting as being horrible. If you don’t think its art then write and perform a dragonforce style album and have all your friends do the same

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:10 pm

I do not like Dragonforce that much at all. They have no heart in their music. They are all about being "rockstars" and not about being artists. And, in my opinion, heart is just as important to the music as the music itself. And Dragonforce has no heart.

And their music all sounds the same.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:18 pm

What do you mean? Do you confuse completely different notes tempos?, pan, keys, lyrics, instruments, guitar effects and everything else as being the same? Do you really confuse heart of a dragon for dawn over a new world?

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:10 pm

icecab21 wrote:
What do you mean? Do you confuse completely different notes tempos?, pan, keys, lyrics, instruments, guitar effects and everything else as being the same? Do you really confuse heart of a dragon for dawn over a new world?
I never said I couldn't differentiate each song. I'm just saying that Dragonforce doesn't do anything different, and it all sounds the same.

Though there are a lot of songs by them that I couldn't tell the difference if I listened to them. Dragonforce sucks, and have no grasp of actual musical substance, and certainly have no idea how to make a song work.

Dragonforce is an embarassment to Power Metal. In fact, they are an embarassment to music altogether. They try and use the "fast" guitars as a gimmick, and it won't work for long. Not if your music sucks that much. In my opinion.

What's worst is the awful fanboys who can't take criticism for their favorite bands. People have different opinions. GET OVER IT.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:36 pm

I never said I couldn't differentiate each song. I'm just saying that Dragonforce doesn't do anything different, and it all sounds the same.

If you can tell the difference between songs, how can they logically sound the same? Different sound = different song = not all songs sounding the same.
and have no grasp of actual musical substance
So what is musical substance and why do people have to follow it? Why can’t people have fun doing their own thing?
They try and use the "fast" guitars as a gimmick
What power metal band does not have any songs where they play fast? Take out the guitar work if you must and play verses and chorus and bridges with just the chords. They have plenty of ballads without the fast guitars that I really enjoy. Where's the gimmick guitars in starfire, trail of broken hearts, dawn over a new world?

What's worst is the awful fanboys who can't take criticism for their favorite bands. People have different opinions. GET OVER IT.
I’m no fan boy but the illogical criticism you give is over the line. If you criticize “they suck" is not a valid critique. Play the song structure acoustically and I don’t see how it’s a bad basic song. Take out the guitar and solos and music changes and take the verses and chorus. What are they doing with verses and chorus that is a no no for music? you don’t like their music. ok no problem. Don’t be on either bandwagon.

share some music that you enjoy and think is perfect songwriting.

KilledByDETH

Post by KilledByDETH » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:38 am

wow someone sure has alot of time on their hands, it seems to me you spend more time on here and not listening and hearing how much dragonforce sucks, and what star ocean says they indeed have no heart just all a gimmick to get loaded off there asses with shitty performances. lets just all agree that if little jack osbourne didnt beg his mama to get them on ozzfest this thread would exist and they wouldnt be considered even comparable to stratovarius and music in general.