EARTHQUAKE INFORMATION SITE

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
browneyedgirl
EARTHQUAKE INFORMATION SITE

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:53 am

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/last30days.phtml

This is a nifty little site/chart which shows all the quakes that have occurred worldwide the past 30 days. The location&measurement are shown, also.
I check this site everyday---many times a quake is posted here before it is even told on the news.
I hope some of you may find it useful, or maybe informative.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Dawn_is_Here

Re: EARTHQUAKE INFORMATION SITE

Post by Dawn_is_Here » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:50 pm

Hi Beg!

Thanks for the link! Really interesting, I can see there the last earthquake we had last night, it was 4.9.

Today haven't felt anyone yet... I hope they stop :?
Drugs aren’t metal. Beer, however, can be served in all kinds of true metal ways. :D

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:23 pm

I think Chili is on the Ring of Fire, isn't it?
And you all are close by! :eek:
Maybe its over now. The Earth is complaining---there has been lots of quakes this month! Some are in the ocean, or very deep under the surface thank God, so these are not felt as badly, or even at all.

This site is actually a link off of a larger site, but that page is so scientific in its vocabulary it would take a Ph.d in geology to understand it! :D
I think a government agency sponsors this site so it should be reliable.

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Dawn_is_Here

Post by Dawn_is_Here » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:19 am

Hi.

Today I was in the middle of a real strong earthquake, a 7.9 richter that lasted more than 2 minutes. :shock:

It was 4 hours ago and I'm still scared. Eight more earthquakes shook us in these 4 hours (from 5 to 6 richter), the last one 2 minutes ago. I don't want to go to bed 'cause I'm afraid another big one catchs me in my sleep.

Many old houses had fallen down, the phone services are collapsed and in some places there are blackouts. A 3 hundred-years church fell down and killed 17 people.

Fortunately me and my family & friends are safe, only some objects fallen at home. It caught me at my job at the 19th floor, it was the scariest moment in my life, I couldn't even walk because of the shaking. A lady passed out while going down the stairs and people had to carry her down. Many people trapped in the elevators (one fell but the emergency breaks stoped it 5 floors down)...

Shit, another "replica" while I'm writing this. I hope it ends really soon. :( Check the link in the first post of this topic and see what I'm talking about...

I'm going to watch the news on TV now, to know what is the real damage of this. :cry:
Drugs aren’t metal. Beer, however, can be served in all kinds of true metal ways. :D

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:01 am

Oh no! I hope everyone's ok. It was a pretty big one but from news reports I can see the damage wasn't as severe as it could be.

Let us know how everything is.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Dawn_is_Here

Post by Dawn_is_Here » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:05 pm

Fortunately neither of my family and friends got hurt, and our houses are strong enough to resist. The poor people that lives in wood houses got the worst part, as well as old buildings from the spanish colony era. Lima hasn't got the worst part as almost all buildings and houses are new and well constructed (bricks and concrete), but 3 towns in the south were devastated, one town is isolated because the only 2 bridges that goes there are collapsed. Most of the deaths and hurts are from those southern towns, about 200km south. There are about 400 dead people now, and more than 1000 injured, but still counting.

We've been having strong replicas almost every 20 minutes, I hate it :(

And it also was a "little tsunami", with waves of 6 meters that get into some houses near the coast line, but no victims there, only their houses got damaged with the water, but not destroyed.

The 3 southern towns are the biggest worry now, another old chuchrch has fallen down and there are still people trapped below and the rescue teams are unable to get there yet. In Lima it was a big scary moment, but not many houses destroyed (only the really old ones and some of the wooden ones), modern buildings and houses are ok, but some has little cracks that must be chocked by experts to evaluate the damage. Fortunately the building where I live is ok, I've checked all the walls and didn't find a single crack.

There are still replicas, the last one 40 minutes ago.

nefertari

Post by nefertari » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:53 pm

This sounds so scaring :shock: . I´m happy to hear that you are ok and your family .

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:15 am

I think I counted 20 quakes on that chart occurring in Peru the past 24 hours? ??? Its really tragic, and I know it will be scary for many days.
Uli, I'm glad you&your family are safe, and that Lima did not suffer too much damage.
I hope those affected in those villages can try to pick up the pieces, its going to be so hard. I hope countries are sending relief efforts, because its Winter there, right, Uli?

Dawn_is_Here

Post by Dawn_is_Here » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:47 pm

Thanks Nef, Neon and Beg for your concern.

The count of deads is over 520 now, and saddly, one of them was my boss' father in law, who died from a heart attack out of fear during the quake :cry:

There are about 20000 houses destroyed in the south, and the Panam highway has two bridges fallen, which makes the access even more difficult, the help is arriving there by helicopters and small planes. People has no water as the pipes got broken, and in some places, no electricity either. There are tents for the people that lost their homes, but there are not enough, as there are 80000 homless people now :( And yeah, it's winter here, the temp at nights goes down there to 8C.

Many countries are sending help, mostly blankets, medicines, food and rescue teams.

The replicas are still happening, just 1 hour ago it was a strong and long one, and 10 minutes later a softer one (just when I was arriving to my job). We are not allowed to use the elevators at my job... I had to come up the stairs 19 floors... exhausting.

An ironic thing that happened, one wall from the local jail in one of the southern cities fell down, and 600 prisoners run away :?

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:59 pm

Very scaring what happens in Peru since yesterday! I've never heard before that it was possible that so much earthquakes could happen in few hours! :shock: :?

I'm happy that you're in good health with your friends and family anyway. :)
Olen tyytyväinen...Onpa kiva tavata...

Dawn_is_Here

Post by Dawn_is_Here » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:38 pm

Here we go again... 5.4 earthquake, it woke me up at 7:51am, almost fell off the bed :cry: Fortunately it seems there was no personal damages, only a few rocks falling down the hills.... I hope we don't find out sad news later.

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/zoom/events ... &lat=-12.1