Why exactly didn't the band like Stratovarius album?

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Rebel
Why exactly didn't the band like Stratovarius album?

Post by Rebel » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:00 am

And also, I heard from someone they weren't happy with some of Elements? I'm trying to educate a friend about Stratovarius, and if anyone has the info handy, what is the full story of the '04 breakup?

exe knight

Re: Why exactly didn't the band like Stratovarius album?

Post by exe knight » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:03 pm

It was all because of that bike thing Kainulainen spoke about in the bar :wink:

StratoTimo

Post by StratoTimo » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:21 pm

exe knight wrote:It was all because of that bike thing Kainulainen spoke about in the bar :wink:
Can you explain better...?
Meikä Ankka

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:28 pm

StratoTimo wrote:
exe knight wrote:It was all because of that bike thing Kainulainen spoke about in the bar :wink:
Can you explain better...?
I can't remember, I'll explain if I do. ... :D ...

Freedom Fighter

Post by Freedom Fighter » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:17 pm

the center of the black hole in the history of the band was the very deep maniac period of Timo Tolkki, i don't think that the music was the big factor of the departure of kotipelto........maybe for Jorg it was, he was tired of the double bass drum (i don't know if i wrote it well).
The Kotipelto thing was a bigger problem i think, a big Fight with Tolkki, but, again it was a result of the maniac thing of tolkki. Also, Kotipelto didn't like the voices of the albums, they were too high, and the simphony elements didn't like him very much.
This is a very shortened version, but in my opinion these were the problems they had
Don't give in to the hopelesness
Keep the innocence in your heart
And the end before your start
Be the warrior of the light
Don't give up without a fight

nepi

Post by nepi » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:29 pm

I don't know if Koti was not happy with the voices of Elements, but I know that Koti wanted to write more songs and Tolkki said no, because it was Tolkkis band....
Also Tolkki went to the hospital and the doctor got him well....
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:34 pm

If I've got the albums idea right to me it seems like this album is kind of a symbol of Stratovarius being together again, or "the symbol of unity".
That could explain the name Stratovarius, but to me something like United or something would have been better for it...

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:06 am

nepi wrote:I don't know if Koti was not happy with the voices of Elements, but I know that Koti wanted to write more songs and Tolkki said no, because it was Tolkkis band....
Also Tolkki went to the hospital and the doctor got him well....
Technically Tolkki isn't even an original member XD
Greatest fact about this band, there are no original members.

BTW, if Timo (either one really, or Jens or anyone in the band) reads this, do previous band members still keep in touch?
Has Staffan Stråhlman ever said much about the band or has it been so long he's just moved on.

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:42 am

Rebel wrote: Technically Tolkki isn't even an original member XD
But wasn't it TT who gave it the name Stratovarius? Doesn't that mean that he's original member of Stratovarius?

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:46 am

Yes, but he joined the band Tuomo Lassila made if I'm not mistaken.

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:43 am

Rebel wrote:Yes, but he joined the band Tuomo Lassila made if I'm not mistaken.
In 82 there was a band called Black Water that changed its name to Stratovarius I believe in 83. Staffan came up with the name. They played music that could be compared to Black Sabbath with Ozzy. I would not have even want to have been in that band:) Lassila was singing and playing drums. I came in 84 cause Staffan didnt want to tour. He then gave up playing completely which is a shame cause he was a really good guitarist. I doubt Strato would have evolved the way it did if I hadn´t joined. Staffan was a very different guitarist from me. He wrote their songs I think.
You write that "greatest fact about this band is that there are no original members" :D I think the greatest fact is that we have done 14 albums, sold 2 million records, got 3 gold discs and done 7 world tours and played over a 1000 shows and composed 160 songs. And all that pretty much makes me quite original member:)

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:01 am

TimoTolkki wrote:
In 82 there was a band called Black Water that changed its name to Stratovarius I believe in 83. Staffan came up with the name. They played music that could be compared to Black Sabbath with Ozzy. I would not have even want to have been in that band:) Lassila was singing and playing drums. I came in 84 cause Staffan didnt want to tour. He then gave up playing completely which is a shame cause he was a really good guitarist. I doubt Strato would have evolved the way it did if I hadn´t joined. Staffan was a very different guitarist from me.
So the classical influences were mostly your idea? What inspired you to bring those into metal music?
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:09 am

NeonVomit wrote:
TimoTolkki wrote:
In 82 there was a band called Black Water that changed its name to Stratovarius I believe in 83. Staffan came up with the name. They played music that could be compared to Black Sabbath with Ozzy. I would not have even want to have been in that band:) Lassila was singing and playing drums. I came in 84 cause Staffan didnt want to tour. He then gave up playing completely which is a shame cause he was a really good guitarist. I doubt Strato would have evolved the way it did if I hadn´t joined. Staffan was a very different guitarist from me.
So the classical influences were mostly your idea? What inspired you to bring those into metal music?
That was completely my idea since I started to write all the music after I joined the band. I always have listened to a lot of classical music. I played Bach´s: Toccata and Fugue in D minor in a church when I was 15:) Then there was of course Blackmore influences.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:39 pm

TimoTolkki wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
TimoTolkki wrote:
That was completely my idea since I started to write all the music after I joined the band. I always have listened to a lot of classical music. I played Bach´s: Toccata and Fugue in D minor in a church when I was 15:) Then there was of course Blackmore influences.
Timo Tolkki, in a church????

Wow.
(Could you anwser my question though?)

Exner

Post by Exner » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:58 pm

TimoTolkki wrote:That was completely my idea since I started to write all the music after I joined the band. I always have listened to a lot of classical music. I played Bach´s: Toccata and Fugue in D minor in a church when I was 15:) Then there was of course Blackmore influences.
I've kinda wondered for some time how it comes that the first albums (that you also where a member on) sounde more like 80's metal? I kinda think that it's more like from Episode that you REALLY can hear the classical influences. Well, Fourth Dimensions have them too but not as much as Episode I think. I also wonder it the change of keyboard player made you think more of the guitar vs. keyboard duell thing as it became much more clear when Jens joined on Episode...?

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:36 am

Exner wrote:I've kinda wondered for some time how it comes that the first albums (that you also where a member on) sounde more like 80's metal? I kinda think that it's more like from Episode that you REALLY can hear the classical influences. Well, Fourth Dimensions have them too but not as much as Episode I think. I also wonder it the change of keyboard player made you think more of the guitar vs. keyboard duell thing as it became much more clear when Jens joined on Episode...?
I second that.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:45 am

Rebel wrote:
TimoTolkki wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
TimoTolkki wrote:
Timo Tolkki, in a church????

Wow.
(Could you anwser my question though?)
Hey, I attended church regularly till I was about 16, when my parents told me I was old enough to make up my own mind about such matters.

But there's a whole other thread for that :)

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:50 am

I never really attended church much, and my parents never really talked about it. I was raised "Christian" but never really grew into a faith until I had some personal experiences.
And no, It wasn't:
Church manipulation.
Parental manipulation.
Desperation for hope.
Making something out of Nothing.
I just grew into a faith strong enough to voluteer 3 weeks two years in a row to clean toilets at a christian camp for no pay, and I'll be there 6 weeks next year, 3 on the toilets, and 3 training to be a counselor.

But that's for another thread.

I thought Timo claimed he never believed in the Christian God.

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:32 pm

Rebel wrote:I thought Timo claimed he never believed in the Christian God.
Maybe he got paid?

Neorave

Post by Neorave » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:39 pm

:tired: ...how did all of a sudden we get into talking about Christianity?
Somehow I still have an account...yay...?

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:43 pm

Neorave wrote::tired: ...how did all of a sudden we get into talking about Christianity?
Because (atleast someone said that:) TT said that he never believed in christian god, but now he said that he has played quitar on a church.

Neorave

Post by Neorave » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:59 pm

exe knight wrote:
Neorave wrote::tired: ...how did all of a sudden we get into talking about Christianity?
Because (atleast someone said that:) TT said that he never believed in christian god, but now he said that he has played quitar on a church.
I'm not surprised. I just find it weird that people are surprised about that.

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:00 pm

I don't see the problem in that. He did not play for spreading the word of God, but for the sake of playing the quitar, making music.
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:20 pm

Beast_Pete wrote:I don't see the problem in that. He did not play for spreading the word of God, but for the sake of playing the quitar, making music.
That's something like my point, I don't think that anyone (expect scholars when they have to) that doesn't absolutely believe in god would go to church, so I quessed that propably he got paid for playing there. He could like have played at home or something.

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:57 pm

exe knight wrote:
Beast_Pete wrote:I don't see the problem in that. He did not play for spreading the word of God, but for the sake of playing the quitar, making music.
That's something like my point, I don't think that anyone (expect scholars when they have to) that doesn't absolutely believe in god would go to church, so I quessed that propably he got paid for playing there. He could like have played at home or something.
You guys got to be kidding. I mean are you putting me on or are you serious? You really make me lose even the last hope I have for mankind.
That if a guy plays a guitar in a church, it means he believes in God?
There are many artists, who play/sing in churches, but not because of their faith. I was 15, it was an event organized by a local music school that had nothing to do with the church. Churches have great acoustics many times.
It was a bit of a miracle that they let me play with such a BLASPHEMOUS instrument than electric guitar in a church. The only thing at that time in my mind was guitar and pussy. And in this order.(I guess these days it´s the other way..)

Neorave

Post by Neorave » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:59 pm

TimoTolkki wrote:
exe knight wrote:
You guys got to be kidding. I mean are you putting me on or are you serious? You really make me lose even the last hope I have for mankind.
There are many artists, who play/sing in churches, but not because of their faith. I was 15, it was an event organized by a local music school that had nothing to do with the church. Churches have great acoustics many times.
It was a bit of a miracle that they let me play with such a BLASPHEMOUS instrument than electric guitar in a church. The only thing at that time in my mind was guitar and pussy. And in this order.(I guess these days it´s the other way..)
See? This is why I said I wasn't surprised.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:11 am

TimoTolkki wrote:
exe knight wrote:
Must have something to do with the different continetns or something, I mean, we have some uptight churches in america, but far more very loose, relaxed churches.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:15 am

Yes. Anyway! Off topic.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:24 am

Indeed offtopic, but when I look at the introducing post of this topic, I read "what was the reason of the '04 breakup", IMO it's really better to get offtopic. Why digging out that story again? Completely unnecessary.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:12 am

True. It was a difficult time. No need to go through it again.