Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Carcass
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Carcass » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:30 am

Just saw Transformers. Fucking crap film.

StratoTimo

Post by StratoTimo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:48 am

Carcass wrote:Just saw Transformers. Fucking crap film.
I knew that- That's why I'm not going to see that :P
Meikä Ankka

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:04 am

WOLF CREEK

I was reminded why I hate hardcore horror! :sick:
2 morals, though: Never trust anyone, and never talk to strangers, no matter what the situation or how old you are!

Wasn't this movie based on a true crime case? ???
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

dirge

Post by dirge » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:07 am

I Am Legend.

Good film I thought, though the zombie type things could have been better cgi's.

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:50 pm

stratohawk wrote:
miditek wrote:
stratohawk wrote:Schindlers Liste

I saw it for the first time. Well, you cannot compare this movie to other ones. It deserves its place in cinema historyy. Shocking and touching.... And mankind still has not learned.
This is one of my favorite films of all time, and was indeed both shocking and touching. Schindler deserves his place as named "Righteous Among Nations" for his efforts to save the Schindlerjuden.

All of the cast was very strong, I felt, but I also think that British actor Ralph Finnes stole the show with his portrayal of Hauptsturmfuhrer Amon Goeth, the diabolical Commandant of the Cracow labor camp.
I agree, Finnes' acting is really awesome in this movie.

Hey I just read a story about John Raabe, the "good Nazi" that saved thousands of Chinese civilians in Nanjing 1937, when Japanese troops started one of the most brutal massacres mankind ever had seen so far. It's an interesting ambivalence that in that region the German swastika was a symbol for humanity. Raabe was called "the Oskar Schindler of Nanjing" afterwards.
Heard that the story will be picturized soon also.
Director Spielberg had said in an interview that Finnes pretty much stayed "in character" throughout the production, and that his presence terrified many of the cast, crew, and particularly Holocaust survivors that served as technical consultants.

I have not heard of Herr Raabe before, but it sounds like another candidate for Righteous Among the Nations. There were many very brave Germans that not only risked, but in many cases sacrificed their lives in order to oppose Hitler and his policies. Claus von Stauffenberg, Erwin Rommel, and Hans Speidel were three very good examples of this from the German military.

Churchill described the "Rape of Nanking" in great detail in his wartime memoirs, and what happened there was completely shocking.

One other interesting movie that I recently saw was "Shadowlands" starring Anthony Hopkins as the author C.S. Lewis and Debra Winger as his American wife, the author Joy Gresham. It's a very bittersweet story, where Lewis, a lifelong bachelor actually experienced true romantic joy for the first time in his life. In a cruel twist of fate, Gresham was diagnosed with terminal bone cancer, although she did live for about four more years after the initial diagnosis.

For those that are interested in this film, I would also like to recommend "A Grief Observed" by C.S. Lewis, in which he recounted the joy of true love, and then how his faith in God was shaken (but eventually restored) after the loss of his beloved wife.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

Paola

Post by Paola » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:58 pm

Official hobbit of the Stratovarius forum...Relax guys, I don't find a ring...:wink: :lol:

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:00 pm

Simpsons - The Movie

well, not bad, but somehow too long. The best size for Simpsons is really 20-25min. Nevertheless, it had some hilarious jokes. :D

StratoTimo

Post by StratoTimo » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:49 am

Autot Pleffa
Meikä Ankka

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:18 am

Good action movie based on a real historical battle.

Persian: Spartans, lay down your weapons!
King: Come and take them!

:D

I read that near Thermophyae there is really a monument with the King statue&that famous line engraved on a plaque. I saw a pic of it. Cool!

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

StratoTimo

Post by StratoTimo » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:11 pm

Akseli ja Elina... Very interesting movie
Meikä Ankka

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:17 pm

The Devil's Advocate
Surprisingly good, actually liked it a lot. Movie can be bad, but I still enjoy it if there's Al Pacino in it. :P

Kuutamosonaatti / The Moonlight Sonata
Finnish 80's horror (kind of...) movie. Still waiting to see: a good finnish movie. :roll:

Today: The Bridge On The River Kwai, Transformers
Tomorrow: Aliens Vs. Predator - Requiem

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:19 am

ONE NIGHT WITH THE KING

The Biblical love story between King Xerxes&Esther, a slave girl he made his queen. Pretty good movie&one of the most famous(and true) love stories in the Bible. But, for goodness sake, why do movies seem to always portray King Xerxes as a nice-looking, well built young dude--he was, in reality, an old geezer with a beard, for Petes sake!!! :D

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:51 pm

Long time no see, I'll just post a couple of movies I've seen since my last visit (mainly the worst ones that I've something to tell you about):

Transformers
Even for a Michael Bay -directed summer blockbuster, pop corn -movie this was bad. Is it really that hard to write at least a decent screenplay for a movie, even if it's all about gigantic fighting CGI robots?

Hannibal Rising
What a miserable piece of... Without the similarly named protagonist, I would've never thought this movie had something to do with dr. Hannibal Lecter. Just a plain old story about revenge with nothing new to add. And what the hell was that samurai-crap all about and what did it have to do with cinema's greatest madman?

Aliens Vs. Predator - Requiem
Beginning was rather promising. Finally we could see these two bad-ass alien-species fighting in an urban scenery. But, after the first half, the movie just lost it. Nothing really made any sense. Just people dying randomly while aliens and predators fighted.

[SPOILER]
And the ending... Frame to frame rip-off of Resident Evil 2. Hell, if you absolutely, positively have to steal the ending from another movie, at least steal it from a good one. :P
[SPOILER]

Conclusion: worst Alien, Predator or AVP movie to date. And that's really saying a lot. :P

And let me just add:
R.I.P. Heath Ledger (4.4.79-22.1.08) The man who portrayed the creepiest super villain ever to be seen on screen. And I'm saying that only after seeing trailer.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:31 pm

Eastern Promises

Very good movie. Different from what is made in Hollywood besides. The story is narrated in a special way. Calm, soulfully, not every part of the story is shown, some parts are left open. And the actors are very, very good, especially Viggo Mortensen and Armin Mueller-Stahl.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:29 am

Shoot 'Em Up

1.5 hour of Clive Owen shooting people, with soundtrack featuring Motorhead and Strapping Young Lad. One of the coolest movies in recent years ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:23 am

MEET THE SPARTANS

A funny parody of the movie 300&others.

Another 300 parody-301-supposed to be out in a few months.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:58 pm

Shurik wrote:Shoot 'Em Up

1.5 hour of Clive Owen shooting people, with soundtrack featuring Motorhead and Strapping Young Lad. One of the coolest movies in recent years ...
I saw it recently, too. Yeah, definitely a cool movie, but on the other hand soooo exaggerated, I mean they really push it too hard, I was laughing all the time, but in the end, compared to e.g. "Crank", it's definitely worse. Nevertheless, Clive Owen rocks!!! 8)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:33 am

Clive Owen was great in CHILDREN OF MEN&so was Michael Caine who played his aging "hippie" father. CHILDREN OF MEN was kinda depressing&dark, but a great study in what could be the things to come if, as a world, we all don't start working together to change things.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:47 am

browneyedgirl wrote:Clive Owen was great in CHILDREN OF MEN&so was Michael Caine who played his aging "hippie" father. CHILDREN OF MEN was kinda depressing&dark, but a great study in what could be the things to come if, as a world, we all don't start working together to change things.
Michael Caine was playing his friend, not father :)

Children Of Men was a great movie, beautiful, brutal and depressing ... Definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:22 am

"La concha de la lora"

A great story of triumph in the face of adversity.
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:24 am

browneyedgirl wrote:2 morals, though: Never trust anyone
Blah, this is BS.
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:56 am

Shurik wrote: Children Of Men was a great movie, beautiful, brutal and depressing ... Definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen.
Really? Oh, that one is still missing in my list. 8) Gotta change that...

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:59 pm

stratohawk wrote:Eastern Promises

Very good movie. Different from what is made in Hollywood besides. The story is narrated in a special way. Calm, soulfully, not every part of the story is shown, some parts are left open. And the actors are very, very good, especially Viggo Mortensen and Armin Mueller-Stahl.
Mortensen got an Oscar nomination for that role. I'd like to see it. I've always loved mafia-movies and I've heard Eastern Promises is good.
Next week: American Gangster. Can't wait. 8)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 am

Stealth wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:2 morals, though: Never trust anyone
Blah, this is BS.
Of course not everyone is a serial killer! :lol: but, in past true cases many victims were the killer's acquaintance, or even friend. :)

Oh, that WOLF CREEK movie was based partly on the "down under" serial killer, Ivan Malat.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:05 pm

Blue Velvet
What the hell is wrong with David Lynch? :D I never fully understand his movies (if that's even possible), but there's something there that makes me fall in love with them. Features the most fucked-up sex-scene (if you can even call it that) ever.
9/10

Epic Movie
Whoa. I've seen some bad comedies, but this is the first one that didn't have a single even remotely funny moment. I didn't laugh or even smile one single time. I can't believe someone actually went through all the effort of actually filming this steaming pile of... :roll:
1/10 (there are probably 2-4 other movies that deserve this rating from me)

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:52 am

The Punisher

crap.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:28 pm

No Country For Old Men

Interesting thriller with excellent style, atmosphere and acting. I must admit that I did not understand everything, as I watched the original version and this "texas English" is simply horrible and very hard to understand for me. :P

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:11 pm

stratohawk wrote:I watched the original version and this "texas English" is simply horrible and very hard to understand for me. :P
I can translate or interpret for you, if you'd like. :lol: Are Texans similar to Swabians, in that regard?

P.S. Even though I am from the South, as a product of private schools, I have no discernible Southern accent. :D It's more, Continental than anything.

Yee haw!
Κύριε ἐλέησον

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:24 am

miditek wrote:
stratohawk wrote:I watched the original version and this "texas English" is simply horrible and very hard to understand for me. :P
I can translate or interpret for you, if you'd like. :lol: Are Texans similar to Swabians, in that regard?
Well, I'll first watch it again and try harder. :-)

The comparison of Texans and Swabians concerning the dialect is interesting! :D In fact, you might be right. But I can't tell, as I'm Swabian myself. 8) Des isch holt ed oifach, iberall schwätzed se onderschiedlich. :wink:

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:36 pm

But the question does remain: was Rommel a Schwab or a Schwob? :) We need an authoratative answer! :D
Κύριε ἐλέησον