Your story with Stratovarius !!

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
ADNAN
Your story with Stratovarius !!

Post by ADNAN » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:12 pm

- How did you know Stratovarius the first time ?
- what was the first strato's song which you listened ?
- The Song That You Love More ?

So everybody can add other thnigs about his story with stratovarius !!
With The Wings Of The Wind I Willl Fly

2 + 2 = 5

... I'm Coming Home !!!

browneyedgirl

Re: Your story with Stratovarius !!

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:15 am

ADNAN wrote:- How did you know Stratovarius the first time ?

I heard&saw them first in August, 2000 on a weekly metal music show called LOUD on MUCHMUSIC, a DirectTV Satellite channel(which is now gone--I think its called FUSE now). I still have the tape! :)
They played AGAINST THE WIND video.
I like so many of the songs I cannot make up my mind! :D Probably, Black Diamond or Infinity or Forever or Phoenix or Tears of Ice.......:)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:10 pm

I firstly listened to Strato in the year 2000 on a Greek TV Music Show Of MAD TV called TV WAR, which at that time was broadcasting the top 20 video clips of 2000. If I remember well Strato's video (Hunting High and Low) was ranked 10th.

dirge

Post by dirge » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:41 pm

I was downloading (naughty I know) covers of songs I liked at the time, mainly 80's rock stuff. I wasn't even aware of the genre of power metal! One of the songs I came across was Blackout. After a while I decided to check out a few more tracks by the artists of some of the covers I liked. I downloaded Nightfall, Coming Home, Forever, Dreamspace, Speed Of Light and Before The Winter. I loved these so much I went out and bought 14 cd's (I had just sold my house, so was on a bit of a spending spree!) I bought Kotipeltos Waiting For The Dawn, Tolkki's two solo albums and 11 of the stratovarius cd's! Now I know downloading songs is bad, but in my country there are no rock/metal radio shows and nothing on our terrestial tv, if there is then its always Iron Maiden, Metallica or that type of stuff. So I would never have found one of my fave genres if I had not done so and I would never have bought all of stratovarius' kotipeltos and tolkkis back catalogues! Thats not to mention all the other bands cd's I have bought since finding out about power metal! So downloding can be good sometimes. :?:

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:53 pm

Heard about them from a friend

First song I heard was Father Time

Can't pick a favourite song... way too many.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Plisken

Post by Plisken » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:08 pm

First time I knew about Stratovarius was from a Korena friend of mine in school. This was I think in 2003 one day almost every other day for lunch we would listen to music(metal only that guys knew so many bands) One day he finds out that I dont know Stratovarius and had this look on his face like it was blasphemy lol. First song he let me listen to was Black Diamond, them the rest of the visions album lol. Then my whole life changed lol.

A favorite song? that's impossible >.> I would be one of these. Learning to Fly, Twilight Symphony, Phoenix, Black Diamond, Fantasia, Anthem Of The World, Hold On To Your Dream,etc >.> lol i know that didnt narrow much down but w/e :P

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:17 pm

I read some newspapers about Strato being a Finnish band which has had a good reputation abroad.

The first song I´ve heard must be Black Diamond in a radio, but the first I listened properly was Hunting High and Low just after the CDS had released in 2000.

Definately Infinity. :music:
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

black death

Post by black death » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:16 pm

I know it's a bit funny, but I do NOT remember how I got to any of my fav bands, including Strato.

I really don't know where, when, how or from who I heard about them for the first time :roll: . I note many bands (usually when I'm downloading something or when somebody tell me :)), but sometimes it takes a long time before I hear something, sometimes I listen to not-the-best song of some band so I don't pay too much attention to the band, sometimes there's another unbeatable obstruction :D ...so the result is that I have no idea how I got to my fav bands ??? ??? ???

Anyway, I think the first album I've heard was one of the first three albums (who knows when it was), because I remember that later, when I was listening to something else (Infinite?), I remembered that I'd heard Stratovarius before, but I couldn't recognize the singer :lol:

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:21 pm

found out about stratovarius in about 1999-2000 right after Children of Bodom's hatebreeder album came out. I was obsessed with Bodom and I was reading what their top 5 favorite albums was and every member seemed to mention Stratovarius visions. So I downloaded a few songs and hated them. I just wasn't used to the high singing style, but then I realized who gives a shit if had high pitched signing and decided to get into them more. Now without a doubt, one of my favorite bands.

*Deni*

Post by *Deni* » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:53 pm

I knew them in a very strange way.

It was July, 14th 2006 and I was in Finland on vacation. The Rasmus was my favorite band, those time, and they were playing as headliner in Rockperry Festival, so I went there to see them (it was my 16th birthday).
The second group in the setlist was Stratovarius. That time I only knew them by the name, some friends told me that they were a great band but I had never listened anything of them. When I listened to them live, I found them excellent. Time after time, my passion grew stronger, and now I am a Strato-addict.
I didn't know their songs, so when I came back to Italy I searched for some Stratovarius' albums. I found the two Elements and I bought them. I liked both very much, but I wasn't obsessed with them. When I went to Austria on February 2007, I found there Destiny and Twilight Time. I enjoyed the second one immediately, but I didn't like Destiny very much. After some time, I found in Milan Infinite, Infinite Visions, Dreamspace and Fourth Dimension and I bought them. I really enjoyed Infinite, and started to appreciate Destiny, too. I didn't listen to Dreamspace and Fourth Dimension immediately, because I was trying to enjoy completely the other two (they sounded more catchy to me). Then I got Intermission and Stratovarius. At the beginning I didn't like the last one at all, but now it's one of my favorite albums. The only ones I couldn't find anywhere were Fright Night, Episode, Visions and Visions Of Europe. I still don't have Fright Night (I have to order it), but I found the other three in Milan few days after the Route to hell festival in Caserta (yes, I live in Northern Italy and I went there to Southern Italy just to see them in the only italian date in 2007!)
Now I'm waiting for some free time to go and order FN (I have downloaded it and I feel guilty about that!!!) and the spring to get the new one.
I can't really tell the first song I heard, maybe it was Hunting High and Low or Eagleheart.

I can't also tell which song is my favorite because there are too much! But maybe Black Diamond, Paradise, Chasing Shadows, Twilight Time, Hold on to Your Dream, Speed of Light, Will the Sun Rise?, Season of Change, Forever and 4000 Rainy Nights

finnlandia

Post by finnlandia » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:43 pm

I saw a video once a music on a channel and since then . I Walk to this was My Own Song the title of the song.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:12 am

In my case there isn't really a story, I just like to hang out here.

Just a Vampire

Post by Just a Vampire » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:42 am

I knew them on 2002, when a friend of mine told me about them. since then, I'm imprisoned with this band (and no waiting to see'em live). The first album I got (by piracy) was Infinity, so the first song I heard was Hunting High and Low.

about the song I love the most, I just love all the songs. no comments
"now he knows his father betrays
now his wings turns to ashes to ashes his grave"

Iron Maiden: Fligth of Icarus

bmaires

Post by bmaires » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:05 pm

I listen first time "forever" in a radio station arround 1997.

Then in 1999 i bought my first cd "chosen ones". Now I have all CDs (some limited versions), some singles, a flag, a T-shirt, the dvd (well i spend a lot off money on that, but i still have looking for some more singles and off corse for some rare things.

My favourite music is Destiny

OutOfTheShadows

Post by OutOfTheShadows » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:07 pm

I guess it was year 97 when i saw "Kiss of Judas" on Finnish TV, and I liked it, and then my parents bought "Visions." Then i heard Forever Free, and i totally loved it. Since then, i have never stopped listening Stratovarius, = my fav band ever. I have been in few shows too in Finland.

Kiss of Judas

Out of the Shadows, as you can see my name. Some other almost as good; Visions (Southern Cross), Coming Home, Twilight Time, Wings of Tomorrow, Against The Wind, Season of Change, Father Time, 030366, Future Shock, A Million Light Years Away, Destiny.. uuh damn it, ALL.

*Deni*

Post by *Deni* » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:25 pm

OutOfTheShadows wrote: 030366
We are two of the few people who love that song!!! *Damn, I forgot to put it into my post!*

Tulikaarme

Post by Tulikaarme » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:35 pm

I heard about the band first time when I was, I think, 7 years old. I saw a commercial on TV about some Finnish summer festival. In that commercial a voice was yelling names of the bands that played on the festival and Stratovarius was one of those bands. I don’t know how but the name got stuck in my head for years, until I heard the band (its music) first time in 2003. In that time I was getting more into metal music (early teenage angst, probably) and via bunch of other similar bands I somehow found Strato. I bought Elements Pt. 1 that was already out, and the same autumn Elements Pt. 2 as soon as it was released. Unfortunately I saw the band first time live in 2005, because of the crisis we all know so well.

The first song I ever heard was probably Eagleheart which I heard in a clip on this site (when the mp3-section was still working…).

I can’t really name a favourite song, but I still set a high value on both Elements because of the personal memories of the time.

dirge

Post by dirge » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:23 am

*Deni* wrote:
We are two of the few people who love that song!!! *Damn, I forgot to put it into my post!*
+ Me!

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:11 pm

I heard some songs from my brother when I was young, in time I started liking it, first they didn't feel like anything more special than the random pop, rap etc songs. :roll:

and so it got on...I indepenced more with it and so on and now I think I know a lot about music and fuck I'm too tired I'll just end at this point.

*Deni*

Post by *Deni* » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:32 pm

dirge wrote:
*Deni* wrote:
+ Me!
We must found the 030366 fan club!!! :lol:

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:58 pm

*Deni* wrote:
dirge wrote:
*Deni* wrote:
+ Me!
We must found the 030366 fan club!!! :lol:
It's not that weird that people like it... it IS weird but most people who listen to Strato also like to some degree prog music.
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:50 am

*Deni* wrote:
I like that song, too. Its not one of my favs, but I like its unique sound.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:59 am

browneyedgirl wrote:I like that song, too. but I like its unique sound.
Same here, also like the bass in the intro and both TT solo and the kinda drum solo.
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

MikeReiner

Post by MikeReiner » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:27 am

The first song I ever heard was Destiny. Loved it to death.

Unfortunately, it was in a music video that DID NOT credit the music. Shame considering the song was the only good aspect of the whole video.

A friend of mine later identified it as stratovarius.

I really can't place a favorite, I love so much of their material, but I will tell you that I'm currently listening to Maniac Dance.
I absolutely love the solo in that song.

As for 030366, I like it, but I hate how it has that 'thump' going on the right side. It's not so bad when I'm listening on speakers, but It's just horrible on a headset. I just end up skipping it every time because of that.
But other than that, it's a good song.

ADNAN

Post by ADNAN » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:55 pm

I Didn't Talk About Me !!!

1-So i Knew Stratovarius By A Friend :) in 2004 i think
2-hunting high and low
3-i love all the stratovarius's songs but i Coming Home is the best one for me !!

Rock N'Peace !!
With The Wings Of The Wind I Willl Fly

2 + 2 = 5

... I'm Coming Home !!!