statements topic

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)
Re: statements topic

Post by IceBreaker » Sun May 11, 2008 5:14 pm

cliff wrote:I know many people thing that Kotipelto doesn't write good songs, but I think he does... besides, his last album Serenity is MUCH better than any Stratovarius album made during the last 8 years.
These are just opinion things, cliff (you know I am one of those and totally bored of Serenity), but over to opinions I´d state you can´t compare an album like "Serenity" with album like "Elements pt1", they´re so different.

Nothing more to say now, but have fun. :wink:
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Sun May 11, 2008 6:26 pm

IceBreaker wrote:
cliff wrote:I know many people thing that Kotipelto doesn't write good songs, but I think he does... besides, his last album Serenity is MUCH better than any Stratovarius album made during the last 8 years.
These are just opinion things, cliff (you know I am one of those and totally bored of Serenity), but over to opinions I´d state you can´t compare an album like "Serenity" with album like "Elements pt1", they´re so different.

Nothing more to say now, but have fun. :wink:
SEEDS OF SORROW!!!, Sleep well, Serenity, Once Upon a Time, Evening's fall, Can You Hear the Sound...good songs, but maybe he is much better co-writing songs (Hunting High and Low, Father Time...).
Jens also is very good composer, remember GLORY OF THE WORLD?? great one!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun May 11, 2008 9:21 pm

Verdades Parias wrote: Jens also is very good composer, remember GLORY OF THE WORLD?? great one!
Hell yeah, Run Away is also a fantastic song. Glory is one of my fave stratosongs ever!
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sun May 11, 2008 10:54 pm

They don't need the name. Stratovarius, that was really Tolkki, Kotipelto, Jens, Jörg and Jari resp. Lauri. It REALLY would be the best to have competely new bands (like Revolution Rennaissance) and to leave the past behind, which is also concerning the band name.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun May 11, 2008 11:16 pm

stratohawk wrote:They don't need the name. Stratovarius, that was really Tolkki, Kotipelto, Jens, Jörg and Jari resp. Lauri. It REALLY would be the best to have competely new bands (like Revolution Rennaissance) and to leave the past behind, which is also concerning the band name.
Why should Jens, Kotipelto, And Michael have to start over? They made this band what it is, just because Kai Hansen left Helloween, the name didn't change.Same with when Michael Kiske left.
The name Stratovarius is something the three long time members of Stratovarius EARNED. It's respected, it's known, it sells, they deserve to keep using it.

dirge

Post by dirge » Mon May 12, 2008 12:31 am

Indeed, but, we shouldn't really give a toss about the name should we? After all it's the music that counts above all as fans.
Though I don't see why it can't used as a band name? I mean there are hundreds of bands out there with same names.

boswoth

Post by boswoth » Mon May 12, 2008 2:49 am

Rebel wrote: Why should Jens, Kotipelto, And Michael have to start over? They made this band what it is, just because Kai Hansen left Helloween, the name didn't change.Same with when Michael Kiske left.
The name Stratovarius is something the three long time members of Stratovarius EARNED. It's respected, it's known, it sells, they deserve to keep using it.
Stratovarius, is the name, band, members, everything which Timo Tolkki abandoned. He didn't want anything to do with Stratovarius. It makes sense.

Jens, Kotipelto, Lauri and Michael playing live will be 4/5 of the old Stratovarius, and looks like they have no problem with being "Stratovarius" or each other.

Tolkki playing live will be 1/5. And he already chose a new band name, "Revolution Renaissance", and new players.

It will be interesting to see what happens with both bands, because they will both be different from old Stratovarius :)

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon May 12, 2008 9:21 am

boswoth wrote:
It will be interesting to see what happens with both bands, because they will both be different from old Stratovarius :)
That won't be good. So, I don't want it.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon May 12, 2008 12:00 pm

RazielSR wrote:
boswoth wrote:
That won't be good. So, I don't want it.
Quite a simple and understanding statement. :D The problem is: It doesn't change anything. Second: Why won't that be good? Third: Personally I expect both (RR and "new" Stratovarius, if they really will exist) very much to sound like Stratovarius. :P

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon May 12, 2008 1:36 pm

still I'm the loooooooord
of theeeee wassssssteeeeeeelaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Mon May 12, 2008 4:35 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
cliff wrote: Great news! I'm really looking forward to hearing new material made by Kotipelto & Jens & Lauri & Jörg.
Lauri is a real genius, a real musician. You can check his solo stuffs to see what I'm talking about. Same thing about Jens. A couple of days ago I heard his Last Viking album, this is uncredibly good! Jörg is an amazing drummer, probably the best drummer ever. I know many people thing that Kotipelto doesn't write good songs, but I think he does... besides, his last album Serenity is MUCH better than any Stratovarius album made during the last 8 years.

Ah, I wish I could see Porra in his clinic.
I just hate that Musamaailma store, I think they're just a bench of incompetent sellers.
Ah I dunno, I really love Elements pt.1 and think it's way better than Serenity, but other than that I agree with all you wrote. Lauri really is something special, a rare talent and it will be interesting to hear what his effect on the songwriting of the band would be like. I want to go to his clinics too! But it's like, way up to the north and stuff. Jorg and Jens are also amazing and well TK has 'the voice' that could only ever be Stratovarius.

I guess a real big question is what will happen to the name 'Stratovarius', TT owns the rights to it. Will the other guys form a new band then if he doesn't agree to let them use it? Like use one of the many common misspellings? :lol:
So, the 4 horsemen could use the name of Stratovarious... :lol: Like that, no legal problem with StratovaTolkki... :D
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon May 12, 2008 10:43 pm

What if we aren't alone here?...

....there's a clone of everyone sooomeeewheeeere

boswoth

Post by boswoth » Tue May 13, 2008 12:33 am

stratohawk wrote: Third: Personally I expect both (RR and "new" Stratovarius, if they really will exist) very much to sound like Stratovarius. :P
This "Revolution Renaissance New Era" CD is for sure not sounding like Stratovarius, it seems it has almost no keyboards for example. It's more pop songs than epic metal songs.

Next "Revolution Renaissance" CD after that, if there even is one, maybe different because Tolkki is now getting a proper band together.

Next Stratovarius (or whatever the band will be called) CD will probably sound like old Stratovarius since so many of those members are involved, especially Kotipelto

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Tue May 13, 2008 2:10 am

boswoth wrote: This "Revolution Renaissance New Era" CD is for sure not sounding like Stratovarius, it seems it has almost no keyboards for example. It's more pop songs than epic metal songs.
I never realized that, and it's true, I can hear Stratovarius there, but something is missing, anyway, listening 2 songs entirely, nobody can review nothing, but the first impressions are like that. "Not so Stratovarius"

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Tue May 13, 2008 3:38 am

boswoth wrote:[ It's more pop songs than epic metal songs.
Of course...with the new POPking singing...what you would expect?

Kiske fucked up the shit.
Churrasqueiro Reinassance!!!

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Tue May 13, 2008 5:41 am

StragOvariuS wrote:

:lol: well the only reason I'd be interested in listening to RR is because Michael Kiske sings on the album. Well, matter of opinion, I guess. Metal or not, one of the best voices ever.

Totally agree with Cliff also about Serenity being better than anything Strato released in the past 8 years. To me it just sounds fresh and straight forward. My problem with the album "Stratovarius" was that it seemed like TT was trying too hard to write epic, complicated songs. Anyhow, I do hope the other 4 members continue to make music together.

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Tue May 13, 2008 11:06 am

Personnally, I've just listened to the new songs on myspace and I must admit that I like the songs. But, there are not like the old Visions' style... :? The songs are just good. I'll maybe buy the album in order to have one more in my StratoTolkki collection and to discover it. I wait for the next RR album. :)
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Tue May 13, 2008 11:40 am

MetalAngel wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
cliff wrote: Lauri is a real genius, a real musician. You can check his solo stuffs to see what I'm talking about. Same thing about Jens. A couple of days ago I heard his Last Viking album, this is uncredibly good! Jörg is an amazing drummer, probably the best drummer ever. I know many people thing that Kotipelto doesn't write good songs, but I think he does... besides, his last album Serenity is MUCH better than any Stratovarius album made during the last 8 years.
Lauri really is something special, a rare talent and it will be interesting to hear what his effect on the songwriting of the band would be like.
Hm well, it's all a matter of taste... Concerning Jörg I shared your opinion some years ago. Nowadays I think he is not such a special drummer. He is fast, of course, and he always had a bombastic sound on the really good Stratovarius album productions. But listen e.g. to Jordan Mancino (As I Lay Dying), he is definitely faster and has more perfection in his play; technically he is definitely better. And for "normal" metal you can find tons of good drummers. E.g. Machine Head's Dave McClain has much more variation in his play than Jörg. No misunderstanding, Jörg has a very fast expressive drumming, I like that very much, but they are certainly better drummers than him.

And I also don't see what is THAT special about Lauri. His solo work is interesting. But "something special, a rare talent"? Well... :) IMO he is one of a lot very good bass players and he has a wide musical horizon. But not more.

Concerning "Serenity", I have to listen to that album again. I very much liked "Coldness", though it wasn't that special album to me; I still don't have "Serenity". Listening to it at the first time didn't give me any special impression.

On the point concerning Jens I absolutely agree with you. I don't know a technically better, crazier, more creative keyboard player than him. 8)

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Tue May 13, 2008 4:28 pm

stratohawk wrote:
MetalAngel wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
cliff wrote: Lauri is a real genius, a real musician. You can check his solo stuffs to see what I'm talking about. Same thing about Jens. A couple of days ago I heard his Last Viking album, this is uncredibly good! Jörg is an amazing drummer, probably the best drummer ever. I know many people thing that Kotipelto doesn't write good songs, but I think he does... besides, his last album Serenity is MUCH better than any Stratovarius album made during the last 8 years.
Lauri really is something special, a rare talent and it will be interesting to hear what his effect on the songwriting of the band would be like.
Hm well, it's all a matter of taste... Concerning Jörg I shared your opinion some years ago. Nowadays I think he is not such a special drummer. He is fast, of course, and he always had a bombastic sound on the really good Stratovarius album productions. But listen e.g. to Jordan Mancino (As I Lay Dying), he is definitely faster and has more perfection in his play; technically he is definitely better. And for "normal" metal you can find tons of good drummers. E.g. Machine Head's Dave McClain has much more variation in his play than Jörg. No misunderstanding, Jörg has a very fast expressive drumming, I like that very much, but they are certainly better drummers than him.

And I also don't see what is THAT special about Lauri. His solo work is interesting. But "something special, a rare talent"? Well... :) IMO he is one of a lot very good bass players and he has a wide musical horizon. But not more.

Concerning "Serenity", I have to listen to that album again. I very much liked "Coldness", though it wasn't that special album to me; I still don't have "Serenity". Listening to it at the first time didn't give me any special impression.

On the point concerning Jens I absolutely agree with you. I don't know a technically better, crazier, more creative keyboard player than him. 8)
Jordan Rudess is more creative. I like Jens' style more though
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

nefertari

Post by nefertari » Tue May 13, 2008 5:54 pm

For those guys/girls who doesn´t believe that this May 7-statement is signed of all the others here ( from the blog of Jörg Michael :
"

Stratovarius/Tolkki

Hi everybody!
So, that is Stratovarius statement and all that is the truth, we have proof for everything! It's sad, but we have to defend ourselve!

Tolkki's main motivation was greed

Timo Tolkki published a statement » on on April 2 this year. The other members of Stratovarius would now like to set the record straight. You can't argue with someone's perception of things, you can just explain how you see things differently. The confrontations, fights, incompetence, tensions, negativity, bitterness, hostility, disinterest, bad musicianship, and unfriendliness that Timo described were never there. He constructed this alternate reality around these simple and for him painful facts:
1) The band's momentum has been slowing since 2004.
2) The media chaos of 2004 made him lose a lot of trust and respect both within and outside the band.
3) Stratovarius' label Sanctuary had severe financial problems from 2005 on. It forced us to start a legal process at the beginning of 2007.
If you live your life through other people's eyes, declining sales or a perceived loss of power are matters of deep, stinging personal humiliation.
Other sad facts remain. The legal fight left us without a way to make a new album, and financially strapped. Timo's main motivation for what he did was greed, not issues of friendship or art.
In the summer of 2007, he presented the Stratovarius/ Revolution Renaissance demos we had all financed and recorded to Frontiers Records, and signed a recording agreement for a solo project. Unbelievably, he promised Frontiers that he alone could (and would) stop Stratovarius from being active for the duration of the R.R. project, for marketing reasons. In exchange for this, Timo alone was paid 154,000 US dollars.
He did this behind our backs, as we were deep in pursuit of Sanctuary legally with a large legal bill. He still hasn't had the guts to tell us what he did. We pieced it together from various press releases of his and scattered email correspondence.
In October he sent us a mail saying he didn't want to continue, a quite impersonal way after having been in the same band for 12 years. He explained that he was tired of Stratovarius, and would concentrate on things like his opera. We had known for some time he really hated playing live.
He did not mention anything about his Frontiers deal, which placed the rest of us at great financial risk. He very clearly asked that we wouldn't contact him and try to talk him out of it, which we all respected. He would later make much of the fact that nobody tried to talk him out of it.
This year, Sanctuary agreed to settle, but Timo's announcement and Timo's announcement alone ruined that, leaving us with a debt of 54,000 US dollars. The total loss is around 346,000 US dollars. There was no reason for the timing of his announcement other than some foolish belief it would make the promotion of Timo's project record a bit easier. What he did to the rest of us was stupid, selfish and more than disappointing to us since we all stood shoulder to shoulder with him financially in 2004.
Then late January, surprisingly, he proposed us playing as hired guns on R.R. (turning it into a Stratovarius record), and doing a tour with Jari on bass. Apparently he again had financial problems due to his failed opera project. He then quickly dismissed the idea himself.
In short it's not so much a story of simmering discontent leading to a wise and respectable decision. It's definitely not a story of naivité. It's the story of Faust, the story of madness, of a band's natural and slow decline, but in the end something mundane: the story of a supreme narcissist going broke and betraying friends of 12 years who helped save him a few years earlier.
Hopefully this explains the situation a little bit. Sorry if it is long on business crap, and short on humor or music. This was a terrible, disaapointing blow to us.
We would like to thank our fans who make it all worth it, and despite it all, we would like to thank Timo for the past, the nice music and the good moments.
The rest of us want to make clear that we are doing great and that we will continue making music together, because we care about each other and we care about our fans. We have grand plans indeed, and we will have some very interesting news in the months ahead!
-TK JM JJ LP
the remaining members of Stratovarius

This statement is OFFICIALLY signed by Jörg, Jens, Timo K. and Lauri!"

and you can read it from here: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =393659605

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue May 13, 2008 6:36 pm

StragOvariuS wrote:

You make me a sad panda.
If you think Kiske's voice can't make song "epic," go listen Eagle Fly Free, I'm Alive and Keeper Of The Seven Keys.

If the songs aren't "epic" (I'm really getting tired of that word...), maybe it's because they weren't supposed to sound "epic."
There's more in metal / music than being "epic" or pop.

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Tue May 13, 2008 10:24 pm

Mormegil wrote:
StragOvariuS wrote:

You make me a sad panda.
If you think Kiske's voice can't make song "epic," go listen Eagle Fly Free, I'm Alive and Keeper Of The Seven Keys.

If the songs aren't "epic" (I'm really getting tired of that word...), maybe it's because they weren't supposed to sound "epic."
There's more in metal / music than being "epic" or pop.
If his voice were so "EPIC", then the supared shit is the MOST EPIC ALBUM ever, right? Or his U2-poo-cover solo albums maybe.

OOOR, if you MEAN, the song, not the voice, well...thanks Weikath or Hansen, not Popkiske. :wink:

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue May 13, 2008 10:56 pm

StragOvariuS wrote:If his voice were so "EPIC", then the supared shit is the MOST EPIC ALBUM ever, right? Or his U2-poo-cover solo albums maybe.
No, not SupaRed or his solo-albums.
Songs I was talking about were Helloween-song you know. I don't think he was trying to sound "epic" on SupaRed or his solo-albums.
What I meant was, he CAN sound "epic" when he feels like it. He has maybe the most "epic" voice in the history of metal.
Ergo, if Kiske's RR -songs were supposed to sound "epic" and they didn't, the problem is most likely in song-writing or something else. Not in the singer.
StragOvariuS wrote:OOOR, if you MEAN, the song, not the voice, well...thanks Weikath or Hansen, not Popkiske. :wink:
Sure the songs were "epic," but they wouldn't be anywhere near that "epic" without a singer like Kiske.
Just think about it: There's a reason why 99 out of 100 power metal singers (including our very own Kotipelto) imitate him to sound more... *sigh* "epic".

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Tue May 13, 2008 11:11 pm

Mormegil wrote: Ergo, if Kiske's RR -songs were supposed to sound "epic" and they didn't, the problem is most likely in song-writing or something else. Not in the singer.
Not defending the songwriter, but to me he sang really, really bad on the RR album. Like "just another boring project from my rec. company to sing and earn some $$$".
Like, in the Place vendome album, he did it better, maybe he felt more comfortable singing AOR than TT's heavy metal, he hates that.
Mormegil wrote: Sure the songs were "epic," but they wouldn't be anywhere near that "epic" without a singer like Kiske.
Depends...victim of fate, ride the sky and how many tears were recorded by Hansen and its its fooockin epic! :lol:
Mormegil wrote: Just think about it: There's a reason why 99 out of 100 power metal singers (including our very own Kotipelto) imitate him to sound more... *sigh* "epic".
Ah, i know...even the vocalist of my ex-band wanted to sing like him. but still annoying to me.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue May 13, 2008 11:37 pm

StragOvariuS wrote:Not defending the songwriter, but to me he sang really, really bad on the RR album. Like "just another boring project from my rec. company to sing and earn some $$$".
Like, in the Place vendome album, he did it better, maybe he felt more comfortable singing AOR than TT's heavy metal, he hates that.
Oh well, now we get to the point where it's just a matter of opinion. I thought he, for example, sung Last Night On Earth way better than Kotipelto.
I understood he is some sort of a friend of Tolkki, so I don't he did RR only for money, like I'm guessing Avantasia and/or Edguy.
StragOvariuS wrote:Depends...victim of fate, ride the sky and how many tears were recorded by Hansen and its its fooockin epic! :lol:
Very true, but I usually prefer the Kiske versions of Helloween EP and Walls Of Jericho -songs (ones in Live In The UK and The Best, The Rest, The Rare, etc.)
Didn't really like Hansen's singing on Helloween. I think he improved a lot on Gamma Ray.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Wed May 14, 2008 12:47 am

Mormegil wrote: Didn't really like Hansen's singing on Helloween. I think he improved a lot on Gamma Ray.
Definitely. Hansen really improved with GammaRay, he fits perfect into that band, and the band is working perfectly, which is underlined by the fact that after changing the lineup with every album in the beginning they are now playing with the same formation for more than 10 years.

Getting off-topic... But at least we have some civilized discussion here. :P

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed May 14, 2008 2:37 am

stratoplayer wrote:
stratohawk wrote:
MetalAngel wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:

Jordan Rudess is more creative. I like Jens' style more though
Jordan Rudess also has John Myung, John Petrucci, and Mike Portnoy to feed off of.
Rudess isn't more talented though.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed May 14, 2008 2:39 am

Mormegil wrote:
StragOvariuS wrote:Not defending the songwriter, but to me he sang really, really bad on the RR album. Like "just another boring project from my rec. company to sing and earn some $$$".
Oh well, now we get to the point where it's just a matter of opinion. I thought he, for example, sung Last Night On Earth way better than Kotipelto.
I understood he is some sort of a friend of Tolkki, so I don't he did RR only for money, like I'm guessing Avantasia and/or Edguy.
StragOvariuS wrote:Depends...victim of fate, ride the sky and how many tears were recorded by Hansen and its its fooockin epic! :lol:
Very true, but I usually prefer the Kiske versions of Helloween EP and Walls Of Jericho -songs (ones in Live In The UK and The Best, The Rest, The Rare, etc.)
Didn't really like Hansen's singing on Helloween. I think he improved a lot on Gamma Ray.
I thought Andi Deris' performance on The Dark Ride was the best Helloween Vocal Performance.
The title track was fucking amazing.

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Wed May 14, 2008 4:44 am

Mormegil wrote:Oh well, now we get to the point where it's just a matter of opinion. I thought he, for example, sung Last Night On Earth way better than Kotipelto.
Hmm, friend$ lets say.
StragOvariuS wrote: Didn't really like Hansen's singing on Helloween. I think he improved a lot on Gamma Ray.
In studio yes, but live isnt thaaaat good thing yet and never will be. I think he knows that.

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Wed May 14, 2008 5:04 am

StragOvariuS wrote:
Mormegil wrote:Oh well, now we get to the point where it's just a matter of opinion. I thought he, for example, sung Last Night On Earth way better than Kotipelto.
Hmm, friend$ lets say.
StragOvariuS wrote: Didn't really like Hansen's singing on Helloween. I think he improved a lot on Gamma Ray.
In studio yes, but live isnt thaaaat good thing yet and never will be. I think he knows that.
I don't know where you get that but I just saw both Helloween and Gamma Ray last saturday, and the KICKED FUCKING ASS, Hansen sung beautifully and Deris didn't miss a note to my hearing. Plus they know how to work the crowd.
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends