Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Stratovarius
Administrator
Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Post by Stratovarius » Thu May 29, 2008 7:15 pm

A thank-you statement posted today:
A thank you

Open letter to Timo Tolkki from three remaining Stratovarius members.

Dear Timo, we thank you for the waiver of your rights dated May 20, 2008 in the name Stratovarius, and the gift of your share of the income from the back catalog.

Technically and morally none of us was in the position to alone give or withhold the name Stratovarius. So, this certainly clarifies the situation, and we three thank you for that.

Good luck with your projects in the future!

Jörg Michael, Jens Johansson and Timo Kotipelto
Discuss here if you desire.

Plisken

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Post by Plisken » Thu May 29, 2008 8:03 pm

Thats pretty cool so you guys are going to continue together making music and you can use the name you have become known by. One thing though its not signed by Lauri Porra, that mean he wont be with you guys anymore? or he didnt agree with using the name Stratovarius?

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu May 29, 2008 8:03 pm

"Be careful of Greeks bearing gifts."

Good luck to you guys. :) I think a large portion of us fans support you, and are looking forward to the next Stratovarius album.

:headbang:
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Special A

Post by Special A » Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

OH MY FIRST CORRECT reply!!!!! YIPEEE!!!
well....i hope Strato's new album will be very awesome! :D!
oh and im really touched about Lauri not being there anylonger, is there's reasons, then we are all ears!!

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

OMFG.
:fail:
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Plisken wrote:One thing though its not signed by Lauri Porra, that mean he wont be with you guys anymore?
No, Lauri is still involved in what come may.

Neither Lauri nor Jari were mentioned in TT's waiver/transfer document, that is the only reason.
Jens.

================================
"Koskenkorva is very good."
-Ronald Reagan

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu May 29, 2008 8:27 pm

And when are you gonna say something about your future guys?

Any songs! something!
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Plisken

Post by Plisken » Thu May 29, 2008 8:29 pm

ah that makes sense i guess. well good luck man! I cant wait to hear you can come up with =)

PS. Gloy to the World is awesome!

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Thu May 29, 2008 8:34 pm

RazielSR wrote:And when are you gonna say something about your future guys? Any songs! something!
Well, when there is something concrete to tell, and preferably when there is some good news.

( I realize this looks a bit silly .. I'm very clearly posting in a forum about the fact that there is nothing really to post about yet :) )
Jens.

-Ronald Reagan

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu May 29, 2008 8:39 pm

JensJohansson wrote:
RazielSR wrote:And when are you gonna say something about your future guys? Any songs! something!
Well, when there is something concrete to tell, and preferably when there is some good news.

( I realize this looks a bit silly .. I'm very clearly posting in a forum about the fact that there is nothing really to post about yet :) )
Oh no...I thought when Lauri and all of you said in the statement "more info coming soon" it was because u were recording or something... :cry:

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Thu May 29, 2008 8:39 pm

JensJohansson wrote:

So what are you waiting for? Time is like gold and we cannot wait any longer...!!!

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Thu May 29, 2008 9:20 pm

I'm not sure if I should do this...
But this is what TT posted in the RR forum:
It is not a thank you. Funny how quickly "Tolkki's motivation was greed/Narcistic greedy Faust" turned to "Thank you". And of course no comment about my statement. Only about the money and
about exploiting the name Stratovarius.

StratoArwen

Post by StratoArwen » Thu May 29, 2008 9:46 pm

exe knight wrote:I'm not sure if I should do this...
But this is what TT posted in the RR forum:
It is not a thank you. Funny how quickly "Tolkki's motivation was greed/Narcistic greedy Faust" turned to "Thank you". And of course no comment about my statement. Only about the money and
about exploiting the name Stratovarius.
Wow, he sounds bitter still

Why would they have bothered making this statement if not to say thank you? To me it look like an olive branch or peace pipe

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Thu May 29, 2008 9:55 pm

mmmm...

I'm thinking they could never have been able to continue with the band, unless it launches a media rumor ( "apparently continue as Stratovarius"). This means that could be an excellent move, or a big trap. If this is so, they deserve applause. :lol:

Good winds, continue as Stratovarius! you can do it now

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu May 29, 2008 10:23 pm

Eeeedeeeeeeeeen is buuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrniiiiinnnnnnnnnnng

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu May 29, 2008 10:39 pm

Nobody is indispensible in the music industry. There have been big name bands in which half the band gets killed, dies, or leaves, and the band survives---successfully, I may add.
IM without Steve? :shock: Oh, the horror! :eek:
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Thu May 29, 2008 10:50 pm

OK, but here we don't have to do with such a case. Tolkki is alive. But since you referred it I also consider it unrespectful for some people to continue touring as Thin Lizzy when the founder of the band is not alive. It's how one thiks of a situation and the criteria that may have.
Have to remind you that some years ago Tolkki refused to continue with Strato if Kotipelto, Michael, Johansson weren't in the band. I believe that these guys should do the same now. The big difference is that then Tolkki decided that even T.K, J.M, J.J weren't original members. And he did the same now. Having all the rights to keep the band on his own, he preferred to quit, unfortunately the other members don't respect that. It's a pitty..

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Thu May 29, 2008 10:58 pm

More stuff from RRforums...
Two things on the statement make me think that it's hironical:

1. "Open Letter" -this is way too small to be an "open letter"-

2. "read 3922 words Tolkki's statement here": the number of the words on TT's statement is there for a reason ;-)

EDIT:

And this: "Hungry ki$$e$ May 20, 2008".

Well, i think that we haven't reach the bottom yet. Too sad situation.
Good that you noticed that "read 3922 words Tolkki's statement here" because that really is there
for a reason. Also why publicice an "open letter" about the waiver of rights and "thanking me" about
that openly if not to get points from fans?Don't you think that the transformation from "greedy Faust"
to "Thank you for the money" in just 3 weeks says something?
As I explained in my statement, my reasons for giving up all that was because the act of continuing as Stratovarius without me is evil to me. And that I don't want to have anything to do with evil and especially the money it generates. And here you find a corporate thank you from that very same evil:)
When you think about this "thank you" in the light of what I wrote in my recent statement, it has nothing to do with a warm hearted thank you. It is more like fuck you. Sad but true.
(note, the one above is by member...I think it was Season of Change, and the second post is by TT, and TT quoted SoC)

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu May 29, 2008 11:01 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:
Maniac wrote:I hope you guys understand at some time, that there cannot be Stratovarius without Timo Tolkki in the band, and stop this madness. Just imagine Iron Maiden without Steve Harris...
Nobody is indispensible in the music industry. There have been big name bands in which half the band gets killed, dies, or leaves, and the band survives---successfully, I may add.
IM without Steve? :shock: Oh, the horror! :eek:
Yeah, they'd have to steal Lauri Porra to fill that void
XD

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Thu May 29, 2008 11:08 pm

The thing that actually proves that this is NOT a "thank you" is when you click this link

http://strato.jens.org/tolkki-statement-2008-05-20.php

then in the small title down of the Stratovarius pic it says "Hungry ki$$e$ May 20, 2008".

You can't say "THANK YOU" and at the same time writing "Hungry ki$$e$".

Anyway, i think that the current Strato-situation is sick. At the end there will be no fans at all.

EDIT: Right now someone erased this "hungry ki$$es" and changed that title... Of course What a coincidence!!! :-)
And more interesting stuff (not by TT, by SoC.)

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Thu May 29, 2008 11:12 pm

*censored* weird. He may be right with this: "At the end there will be no fans at all. "
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

StratoArwen

Post by StratoArwen » Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 pm

exe knight wrote:
The thing that actually proves that this is NOT a "thank you" is when you click this link

http://strato.jens.org/tolkki-statement-2008-05-20.php

then in the small title down of the Stratovarius pic it says "Hungry ki$$e$ May 20, 2008".

You can't say "THANK YOU" and at the same time writing "Hungry ki$$e$".

Anyway, i think that the current Strato-situation is sick. At the end there will be no fans at all.

EDIT: Right now someone erased this "hungry ki$$es" and changed that title... Of course What a coincidence!!! :-)
And more interesting stuff (not by TT, by SoC.)
It was Tolkki who wrote "money hungry kiss of judas" not Stratovarius

StratoArwen

Post by StratoArwen » Thu May 29, 2008 11:17 pm

IceBreaker wrote:*censored* weird. He may be right with this: "At the end there will be no fans at all. "
Did you get censored here??

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Fri May 30, 2008 12:21 am

Maniac wrote:I hope you guys understand at some time, that there cannot be Stratovarius without Timo Tolkki in the band, and stop this madness. Just imagine Iron Maiden without Steve Harris...
This band is not TIMO TOLKKI's RISING FORCE!!!! For God sake, let the guys do their stuff!!!. Timo tolkki is what it is, thanks to these guys, you're talking about people who have played with Saxon, Malmsteen, DIO!, Rage, Grave Digger, Running Wild, Axel Rudi Pell. And you say they can't do it?

Tolkki was part of Stravarius, the biggest undoubtedly, but it was not everything, that's a fact, the level of these musicians is really high. So stop idolizing!!!

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Fri May 30, 2008 1:00 am

If someone gives you a gift irrevocably and with no strings attached, surely not at least saying "thank you" would be a bit rude? :)
Jens.

-Ronald Reagan

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Fri May 30, 2008 1:00 am

StratoArwen wrote:Did you get censored here??
No, just wrote that instead of the well-known word. :wink:

By the way, there´s added a couple more "how many words" figures links to the Thank you statement.
Tolkki's 3,922 word statement of May 20 can be read here » Mirror »
The actual waiver of rights can be seen here » Mirror »
Tolkki's 549 word statement of May 9 can be read here » Mirror »
Tolkki's 1,391 word statement of May 7 can be read here » Mirror »
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

miditek

Post by miditek » Fri May 30, 2008 1:10 am

Verdades Parias wrote:
This band is not TIMO TOLKKI's RISING FORCE!!!! For God sake, let the guys do their stuff!!!. Timo tolkki is what it is, thanks to these guys, you're talking about people who have played with Saxon, Malmsteen, DIO!, Rage, Grave Digger, Running Wild, Axel Rudi Pell. And you say they can't do it?

Tolkki was part of Stravarius, the biggest undoubtedly, but it was not everything, that's a fact, the level of these musicians is really high. So stop idolizing!!!
+1 (!) Although Tolkki was certainly the primary songwriter and producer, it also seems that he was also the primary source of trouble and drama as well. He should, of course, be given credit for his contributions to the band, and equally important, for seeking treatment for his illness, but in no way should be lionized or put up on some sort of pedestal.

I believe that each of these guys will do fine as they continue on their respective careers, and I agree with you @Verdades_Parias that this idolatry has gotten just a wee bit out o' hand! ;)
Κύριε ἐλέησον

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Fri May 30, 2008 1:12 am

Verdades Parias wrote:

Seems that you got into Stratovarius with albums like Destiny & Infinite, and so I can get your point. I appreciate Jorg's & Jens participations but that doesn't mean anything about who is the history of Stratovarius. As you have the right to say that, I also have the right to say that there cannot be Stratovarius without Tolkki, since here is supposed to be a democratic forum..

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Fri May 30, 2008 1:20 am

Well I guess you guys have to negotiate with Sanctuary first, then can you concentrate on writing songs. That's quite some times (several months at least).
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri May 30, 2008 1:49 am

JensJohansson wrote:

Well yeah, I imagine finding a guitarist is top of your list of priorities for the moment!
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!