Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
browneyedgirl
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:23 am

dirge wrote:The Evil Dead 3 : Army Of Darkness

Still as funny as ever! :lol:
I love that movie, I have it on tape!
Have you saw Evil Dead 2? Its hilarious in a dark, sick way. :lol:
Bruce Campbell is a very good actor!
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

dirge

Post by dirge » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:31 am

Yea, i'm not so fussed about the other two films, they're good I suppose, but there is something about this one that makes me :lol: everytime! :D

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:39 pm

Last night watched End Of The Spear, about the guys who died trying to preach to the Waodani tribes of Ecuador. Pretty kool movie 8)
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

dirge

Post by dirge » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:36 am

htcdude wrote:Last night watched End Of The Spear, about the guys who died trying to preach to the Waodani tribes of Ecuador. Pretty kool movie 8)
New film out or? Sounds interesting!

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:49 am

2006 as far as i know, i can only find a Region 1 version for £6 on Amazon :)
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:16 am

Tom Hanks e Ron Howard a Roma per 'Angeli e Demoni' - Multimedia - Trovacinema - Repubblica
http://trovacinema.repubblica.it/multim ... 318132/1/1

Shots from the filming underway of Angels&Demons movie.
Pic captions are in Italian.

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:48 am

No Country For Old Men
Finally released as DVD so I can see it too. This is amazing! I'm not surprised it won the Oscar for best picture 2007. Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem) is the greatest and scariest movie-bad-guy I've seen in a long time. The Big Lebowski still remains as my favourite from Coen-brothers, but this was really something.

Stardust
Really a positive surprise. Even in his old days Robert De Niro apparently agrees to do anything... :lol:

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:51 pm

I just saw a pretty good film of The Merchant of Venice that had Al Pacino as Shylock.
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:54 pm

HvyMtlClickWitch wrote:I just saw a pretty good film of The Merchant of Venice that had Al Pacino as Shylock.
Al Pacino was the reason why I bought it on DVD. :P

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:57 am

He stole that show. His performance was absolutely amazing.
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:10 pm

That's what Pacino does. I haven't honestly seen one bad performance from him.
Last night watched:

Contact
An ok scifi-movie starring Jodie Foster. I'd like to know who thought hiring Matthew McConaughey to male-lead was a good idea. With more fitting actor this would've been so much better.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:37 pm

The classic Thriller "THE PRISONER"
Is going to be remade by the AMC Channel.
Jim Caviezel is going to play #6, and Ian McKellen will play #2.

Yeah, the song by Ironmaiden that was inspired by the first movie back a few decades ago. :D

WOW! Jesus&Gandalf(God) in one movie! :D

This should be a good one.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:53 pm

Mormegil wrote:That's what Pacino does. I haven't honestly seen one bad performance from him.
Last night watched:

Contact
An ok scifi-movie starring Jodie Foster. I'd like to know who thought hiring Matthew McConaughey to male-lead was a good idea. With more fitting actor this would've been so much better.
I read somewhere that this couple was based on a real couple that Sagan actually knew. Even the discovery Channel showed the lady in a segment once. The husband was a down-to-earth minister, and the wife was a dedicated astronomer who was agnostic. They were so different, yet, loved each other so much in spite of their different life philosophies. And, Carl thought it would be good to weave the story with this lesson in mind.
Actually, I gather that was the point Carl was making in this story: tolerance&acceptance of each others beliefs. I have CONTACT on tape, and I like the movie, too. And, considering the based on real-life guy I think Matthew was perfect for the part!

BTW, anyone see the Batman movie? Please report if you did!

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:12 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:BTW, anyone see the Batman movie? Please report if you did!
I second this. Everywhere I look, the magazines, the messageboards, etc. people are calling it a masterpiece and the greatest superhero-movie of all time.
Of course I was sure it would be that good ever since I saw the picture of Heath Ledger's creepy-as-hell Joker for the first time. ;)
Finnish magazine Episodi even went as far as calling his performance "Oscar-worthy" which would be unheard of for a summer-blockbuster-comic-book-movie.

Reviews in IMDb after the previews:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/

Not likely to stay as #3 movie of all time for long, but still impressive.

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:57 pm

Mormegil wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:BTW, anyone see the Batman movie? Please report if you did!
I second this. Everywhere I look, the magazines, the messageboards, etc. people are calling it a masterpiece and the greatest superhero-movie of all time.
Of course I was sure it would be that good ever since I saw the picture of Heath Ledger's creepy-as-hell Joker for the first time. ;)
Finnish magazine Episodi even went as far as calling his performance "Oscar-worthy" which would be unheard of for a summer-blockbuster-comic-book-movie.

Reviews in IMDb after the previews:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/

Not likely to stay as #3 movie of all time for long, but still impressive.
Two friends of mine saw it, and yeah, they say Jack Nicholson has nothing on Heath Ledger's Joke, absolutley stunning movie.

Can't wait to see it :D
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:43 pm

Yes, I just read that Heath stands a VERY good chance of getting a very rare post-humous Oscar from this role. Only one other actor in history, Peter Finch in 1977's Network, has won this honor.

So far the reviews all said Heath stole the show! :rvd: And of all past Jokers: Jack Nicholson, Ceasar Romeo,.....Heath was THE best!

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:20 am

Better than Jack Nicholson's Joker? Well I'll be damned, apparently it IS possible to improve perfection. :o
On the other hand, I always thought Nicholson in Tim Burton's Batman wasn't really playing Joker. To me it seems he is just playing himself, over the top version of Jack Nicholson. What I've heard about Ledger's Joker, it is truly one fucked-up psycho you wouldn't want to meet. :D

All this talk about Joker, but no word about Aaron Eckhart's Two-Face? What was he like?

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:01 am

Heath was one of my favorite actors and it bugs me so much that one big mistake and no more mistakes or triumphs in his life. Yesterday I watch phantom of the opera and today I saw batman. Now that is quite the nice gothic pair of movies. Heath is one charismatic badass in this film. Heath makes magic out of the script and character. The movie brings those moral dilemma questions to life and can really be cause for a life time of great conversation with compare and contrast and the imagination. The role is dark humors best friend.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:33 am

Well, the X-FILES movie debuted tonight. Bet "Dark Knight" squashed it, unless the movie got viewers who already saw "Dark Knight".
"Hellboy2" got 1 good week, before "Dark Knight" blew it away. :D
"Dark Knigt" is going to be the "movie of the year", thats for sure! :bigok:

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:27 am

I'm going to watch Hellboy 2 too, because I really liked the first one and because of Guillermo Del Toro, the director of mind-blowing Pan's Labyrinth and forthcoming The Hobbit -movies.

miditek

Post by miditek » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:54 pm

Speaking of the late Heath Ledger, I just saw a film that he co-starred in several years ago. It was "The Patriot" with Mel Gibson, which is in all probability the best film that I've ever seen that deals with the American Revolution.

It's rather surprising that I had not seen this epic, but am glad that I did. Ledger, of course, did a great job as Cpl. Gabriel Martin, the eldest son of Gibson's Col. Benjamin Martin. In fact, it seems that the entire cast was, imho, very strong, with a standout performance by Jason Iassacs as the brutal Col. William Tavington of the British Green Dragoons, in addition to Tom Wilkinson as the cultured and cerebral Lord Gen. Cornwallis and Peter Woordward as Cornwallis' adjutant, Maj. Gen. Charles O'Hara.

The look and feel of the film, as I said was epic, and truly does a great job of transporting the viewer back to the Colonial period of the Revolution- but I did have at least some major complaints with this film- namely the scene where the Dragoons rounded up the townsfolk of an entire village, herded them into a church, and then burned them alive.

Director Roland Emmerich would do well to re-read his history books and he would learn that it was elements of the II SS Pz. Div. "Das Reich" that burned villagers alive in the church at Oradour-Sur-Glane in Normandy on 10 June 1944, as opposed to the Green Dragoons in South Carolina during the American Revolution. I found the inclusion of this glaring historical inaccuracy to be most distasteful, and a perfect example of blame shifting by from the vanquished to the victors in war- particularly with a crime as heinous as that.

In short, Col. Banastre Tarleton (on which Col. Tavington's character was based) may have been brutal, but he was certainly not inhuman like Sturmbannführer-SS Adolf Diekmann was at Normandy. After seeing that particular scene, I felt strongly enough to write this in an attempt to 'set the record straight', as it were, and I feel that in no way that defending overall British honor minimizes my own patriotism and love for my country.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:32 am

Gibson takes his liberties with historical fictions to make points that add power to the film. Not to be historically accurate. As long as one thinks of the movie as fiction and not a documentary meant to be accurate I think the portrayals can be accepted more. It’s safe to say the British would not have allowed such an action but the scene in this film creates a lot of power and I think its fits in that sense. The film also tells the story of the horrible things the colonials did with the Native Americans. This movie does not have a based on a true story and I don't think it's trying to say that a British would do that. Now in world war two there was a lot of complete moral lapse on all sides and in order to stop even more death the USA resorting to nuking whole cities. Of course it might be best to advertise the patriot as an alternative historical fiction to wipe out complaints like these since an alternative historical fiction would by definition not represent reality.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:17 pm

I have THE PATRIOT on both DVD&videotape.
A very sad movie. 2 of 4 Benjamin's sons died in the movie&Gabriel's wife was one that was burned alive along with her parents&the others in the town. Doesn't Jason Iassacs always play an asshole in movies? I think he did in Dragonheart&some others, but he really played the evil card in this movie! By the time Benjamin gave William his just desserts, I really hated that William character! :D So made up, or not, all the drama served its purpose. The war scenes were very realistic, and costumes were right for that era, too. IMO, a very well-made movie.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:42 pm

icecab21 wrote:Gibson takes his liberties with historical fictions to make points that add power to the film. Not to be historically accurate.
What's that? Did someone say Braveheart? :lol:

The great Jason Isaacs was the only good thing about The Patriot. I thought it was awful, as most over-patriotic (=fascistic) movies tend to be for me.
Also, movie about America's history with german director and two aussie-stars? :wink:

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:02 pm

Mormegil wrote:
icecab21 wrote:Gibson takes his liberties with historical fictions to make points that add power to the film. Not to be historically accurate.
I thought it was awful, as most over-patriotic (=fascistic) movies tend to be for me.
Such is the nature of Hollywood, many times!
Ridley Scott really butchered historically, Kingdom of Heaven. When you read about the real people depicted, and the events that were supposedly represented, anyone would know Scott took great liberties in that movie. :D
Still, it was a good movie. Quite violent, though. But the crusades&resultant Holy Wars during early medieval period were violent, and the living conditions, harsh.

@miditek, have you ever saw Kingdom of Heaven? And, what did you think of it?

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:17 pm

Movies are all by themselves neutral for people to take out of them what they want. How one watches a movie and what their value system is will be the only factors that determine what opinions of a film will be.
When I watch the patriot I view it for what to me are humor and philosophy questions about life and ethics. I think the movie is great for studying for humanity and choices and philosophy behind how we live our lives. I see the movie as being anti conflict and anti tyranny and about us finding value in each other and creating a society of consent that values human life. It’s a movie I would show toa class in humanities, just not a class of historical accuracy. The debate of good and bad is personal but the film brings a lot of purpose to it and I enjoy that.

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:54 am

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:26 am

Lurdi wrote:Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Is it good? It would be interesting to see this one, as I spent about two months in Barcelona last summer.

Last night I watched Predator with my brother, it's a prefect 'beer movie'. :) Also saw Werner Herzog's Encounter at the End of the World, a truly unique film maker. I heartilly recommend his works with Klaus Kinski and his documentaries, such as Grizzly Man and White Diamond.

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:58 pm

Carcass wrote:
Lurdi wrote:Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Is it good? It would be interesting to see this one, as I spent about two months in Barcelona last summer.

Last night I watched Predator with my brother, it's a prefect 'beer movie'. :) Also saw Werner Herzog's Encounter at the End of the World, a truly unique film maker. I heartilly recommend his works with Klaus Kinski and his documentaries, such as Grizzly Man and White Diamond.
Yeah, I recommend you to see it, I liked it, you'll enjoy it for sure. You'll tell me if you finally decide to watch it.
The whole movie takes place in Barcelona and you'll see a lot of typical places of the city, and if you spent some time there, you'll recognize some places for sure.
I think it represents very well our culture,our character, the clash between the American and Spanish culture in some aspects...but this is not only what the movie deals about.
Furthermore, Javier Bardem is a very good actor, so it is Scarlet Johansson, but Penelopez Cruz...IMHO she perfoms Ok here.
Well, just watch it and you'll tell me.

Thor_The_Hammer_God

Post by Thor_The_Hammer_God » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm

Glory road! great film! its for basketball fans especially!