U.S. Supreme Court Rules on 2nd Amendment Interpretation

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.

What is the status of private firearms ownership in your country?

Private Firearms Ownership is permitted
13%
Private Firearms Ownership is restricted
38%
Private Firearms Ownership is prohibited
13%
Private Firearms Ownership is permitted w/ concealed weapons permits available
25%
Private Firearms Ownership is permitted w/ concealed weapons permits prohibited
13%

Total votes: 8

miditek
U.S. Supreme Court Rules on 2nd Amendment Interpretation

Post by miditek » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:31 pm

Aftermath of U.S. Supreme Court Ruling on the Second Amendment
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... aftermath/

Freedom loving Americans can rest a bit more easy for the moment, but this battle is far from over yet. I have posted a poll asking about the current laws on private firearms ownership in your own country.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

eagledreamr

Re: U.S. Supreme Court Rules on 2nd Amendment Interpretation

Post by eagledreamr » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:12 pm

I couldn't say exactly but I think it is highly controlled.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:07 pm

I didn't know such a ruling was being debated by the Supreme Court. ??? Seriously, I don't think the Supreme court would ever overturn the Second Amendment. I mean, if they did it would be such an uproar, it would be downright scarey. Even most of the Liberals I know own guns, and would fight tooth&nail to be able to own them.
I would. ;)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:58 pm

Prohibited, as far as I know. You have to be either policeman, soldier, security worker or such in order to have a permit to hold a gun.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

The Enigma

Post by The Enigma » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:47 pm

Permitted, but on conditions

In order to acquire and possess a firearm ... the applicant must have a justifiable purpose for its use. The applicant must also fulfil the application requirements for acquisition permits.

A firearm acquisition permit may be granted only if it is to be acquired for an approved purpose.

[The only seven] Approved purposes of use are:
1. shooting of animals as permitted by hunting legislation
2. shooting competitions and other target shooting
3. work in which a firearm is necessary
4. demonstration, filming or other similar presentation
5. keeping in a museum or collection
6. keeping as a memento
7. signalling.

A proof or indication of the chosen purpose must be presented with the application.

More information from the Finnish Police website in English:
How to apply apermit and what it takes to have licence(s).
The 1st rock thrown again
Welcome to hell, little Saint
Mother Gaia in slaughter
Welcome to paradise, Soldier

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:56 pm

So gun ownership is regulated.

How is that a bad thing? Car ownership is regulated (you need a license/insurance/etc.) so I don't see what everyone is complaining about.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

black death

Post by black death » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 pm

Permited if you have a gun licence and only for some types of guns.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:18 am

Anyway, over here firearms ownership is permitted for certain types of weapons, with applicants needing a clean criminal record and having to take a gun safety course in order to obtain a license.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:13 pm

I like to fire a gun at a piece of paper as much as the next person, but:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
There you have it. Well regulated. Militia.
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:23 am

HvyMtlClickWitch wrote:I like to fire a gun at a piece of paper as much as the next person, but:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
There you have it. Well regulated. Militia.
The army, in other words. :)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:48 pm

I think that at the time, the founding fathers' idea of a militia was a lot different than what the US is doing now. So many things have changed, it's no wonder that otherwise patriotic people find it easy to not be proud of the United States these days. :(
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.

miditek

Post by miditek » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:24 pm

HvyMtlClickWitch wrote:I think that at the time, the founding fathers' idea of a militia was a lot different than what the US is doing now. So many things have changed, it's no wonder that otherwise patriotic people find it easy to not be proud of the United States these days. :(
I think that many people have forgotten why that there was a revolution against George III to begin with- and that was of course, governmental tyranny, courtesy of Parliament and the Crown.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

The Bill of Rights specified the right to firearms ownership as being second only to article I. So it's my interpretation that the Founding Fathers considered the people being able to defend themselves against governmental tyranny as being second only to that of freedom of speech, expression, and religion.

Too many lives were sacrificed during the revolution, and they were not about to permit a new, more insidious form of government to take root here. The Second Amendment does not guarantee rifles for hunting or for sport, as many latter day political interpretations would lead one to believe, but specifically for self-defense against the government, and it would not be a stretch to say that self-defense against criminal elements and savages is strongly implied there.

If common people cannot defend their families, their homes, and their possessions that they have acquired through honest and plain old fashioned hard work against criminal elements, be it governmental or simply plain common thugs, then we are no better off, in fact we would be worse off, than the original colonists were at that time. In fact, we would be little more than serfs or slaves.

The Militia means the people, private citizens, and does not specifically mention the army. In fact, it means paramilitary or irregulars, and not standard military (or regular) forces. The Constitution specifically empowered Congress to raise an army and a navy for the sole purpose of national defense.

A common sense interpretation of a well-regulated militia would mean that the militia and it's members would not be permitted to go around trampling the rights of other citizens. The militia initially meant "all able bodied men", and that they could be called up at any time in the event of an emergency.

Washington itself had had a gun ban in force for decades, and yet it consistently had one of the highest murder and armed robbery rates in the nation. You can check the crime statistics on the FBI's website if you'd like to confirm this. It is positively a national disgrace that the nation's capital remained one of the most dangerous cities in the nation- and a crack cocaine smoking D.C. mayor caught on videotape notwithstanding. Yes, that is an event that makes it difficult to be proud of the country.

Criminals never pay any attention to gun laws, and the net effect is that honest, law-abiding, and innocent citizens are the ones that are disarmed, and quite often with tragic consequences. There are over 70,000 armed felons in the gangs of Los Angeles, and does anyone think that THEY pay any attention whatsoever to gun laws?

There are many good stories though of intervention by armed citizens- thousands of them, in fact, where lives are saved and crimes are prevented, due to the quick thinking of a bystander that had a concealed weapons permit, unfortunately, the mainstream media (MSM) rarely- if ever reveals any of these remarkable stories. Here is only of of them, for demonstrative purposes, from the June Edition of the "The Goblin Hunt Chronicles"

Police: Former Marine Shoots 2 Subway Robbery Suspects
Customer Kills 1, Wounds Another, Police Say

http://www.local10.com/news/13585335/detail.html

This 71 year old former Marine shot two armed suspects at a local Subway sandwich shop in Plantation, Florida during a botched robbery attempt. The former Marine had a concealed weapons permit, and according to police, he will not be charged with any crime. Of course, the dead robber's family actually complained that they cannot understand why the man will not be charged, and why he had to "shoot someone down". I suppose that they forget that the potential for getting blasted, particularly in this case be getting shot in the head by a former Marine, is merely an occupational hazard of being a thug, and is the risk that they chose to take.

I suppose that the dead thug's family appears to be completely ignorant of Florida's Castle Doctrine Law,

http://www.gunlaws.com/FloridaCastleDoctrine.htm

which originally was (Florida Code Annotated) SB-436 and passed in 2005 by a majority of both the senate and the house, and signed into law by (Republican) governor Jeb Bush. My home state of Tennessee passed a similar bill that was signed into law by (Democratic) governor Phil Bredesen back in 2007. This story is one of many and shows that the tide is beginning to turn against criminals.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

miditek

Post by miditek » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:02 am

Here is the verbiage of the recent Supreme Court descision:

District of Columbia v. Heller

Main article: District of Columbia v. Heller
In District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. ___, decided on June 26, 2008, the Supreme Court ruled that "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home," and "that the District’s ban on handgun possession in the home violates the Second Amendment, as does its prohibition against rendering any lawful firearm in the home operable for the purpose of immediate self-defense."

The Court held that the amendment's prefatory clause serves to clarify the operative clause, but neither limits nor expands the scope of the operative clause.[75]

The four dissenting Justices called the majority reading "strained and unpersuasive."

(Miditek comment: Of course the four Marxist 'justices' on the Supreme Court will side with the 'government', that being the city council of Washington, District of Columbia, in attempting to use a city ordinace to trump the letter and spirit of the Second Amendment- as it is clearly apparent that there was very little 'security' to be had by law abiding citizens that are currently residing in the district.

I suppose that the four dissenters wouldn't want to walk about in certain neighborhoods of the district itself- and only several blocks from where the work, now would they? I seriously doubt if any of the four dissenters even live within the city limits, and as judges, I am certain that one or more of them, if the truth were to be known, actually have a Virginia or Maryland concealed weapons permit. This hypocrisy is similiar to that of Senator Diane Feinstein, D- CA, who consistently votes against gun rights, and yet, of course, has a California concealed weapons permit herself!) ;)
Κύριε ἐλέησον