Another school shooting in Finland

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Mormegil
Another school shooting in Finland

Post by Mormegil » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:41 pm

At least 11 people dead and some injured this noon in Kauhajoki, Finland.
The 22-year old killer, Matti Juhani Saari, shot himself in the head and died few hours ago at Tampere University Hospital.
This holds remarkable similarity to shootout in Jokela school last November:

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europ ... index.html
http://www.mtv3.fi/uutiset/kotimaa.shtm ... /09/719550

My sister studies in a similar school in the same region, so I was scared shitless when I heard about this.

browneyedgirl

Re: Another school shooting in Finland

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:06 pm

Finland school toll hits 11, including gunman - MSNBC Articles
http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/articl ... d=26849077

This is so terrible. :(
My prayers&condolences to all concerned. I know that does not really help, but at a time like this there is just no words to express that can lessen the pain.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:13 pm

I wrote such a long and heated reply to this thread and then deleted it all, finding it a bit difficult to go back to those buried thoughts I never wrote out after the Jokela incident. It's like complaining about our leaders, we voted for them... It's the same for the media: we read and watch their shit. We allow ourselves indulge into these indicents and let the sick minds here and there absorb the prospect of becoming famous by committing an act like this. The memes are so easily transferred not by one news agency, not by one sensational story, but the whole media circus centering around it, making a messiah of that poor idiot who killed some people and himself... And sure as hell, someone out there is looking up to him as we speak. Where's the responsibility of the journalist?

Some people die in car crashes, some die cracking their skulls at home falling down the stairs...

The difference is, of these things above only ONE is infectious and seems to attract success (more deaths) with more media attention, people tend to be a bit more careful if warned about stairs or traffic and the number of casualties goes DOWN, but when it comes to school shootings, more news can so easily lead to more shootings. And how can this happen? Because nobody is or can be made directly resposible.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:32 pm

Jaakko wrote:Some people die in car crashes, some die cracking their skulls at home falling down the stairs...
Those are accidents. Taking a gun to school and shooting fellow students is not. The fact that media makes this so big is for me only a good thing.

The fact that there are two school-shootouts in 10 months indicates something of the mental state of the youth in this country, not mentioning our huge suicide and alcoholism-rates. It should be discussed and maybe eventually someone might do something about it.
There are too many rednecks here (especially in the Finland's Bible-Belt, Southern Ostrobothnia were Kauhajoki is situated in) who think depression and social alienation are just something you should get over from.

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:36 pm

Mormegil wrote:
Jaakko wrote:Some people die in car crashes, some die cracking their skulls at home falling down the stairs...
Those are accidents. Taking a gun to school and shooting fellow students is not. The fact that media makes this so big is for me only a good thing.
Well you got my point. And I got yours too, I think. I just don't agree, I still feel these ideas spread before the sense behind the ideas.

Edit: I mean a simple slogan can make people crazy right now, but to really think about it takes time and life lived. I feel the media should have some responsibility and sense of decency (whatever that means, I'm not known for being "decent") in what they report and show to the minds that can be bent.

Paola

Post by Paola » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:05 pm

the people began to be crazy some years ago but nobody wanted see it, I guess, the people're lossing the faith and the hope on something better for the future, they don't find a razon to live easily and if some one bother to some guy he or she could loss her/his mind, the hatred will be stronger and he or she could think that he or she doesn't have nothing to loss.

I'm thinking that I said something obvious but some times we need to hear that
Official hobbit of the Stratovarius forum...Relax guys, I don't find a ring...:wink: :lol:

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:08 am

rule number one of suicide:
kill self first and only
rule number two of suicide:
look at rule number one

With suicide there are no rules and there is no reason.
Maybe there should be more time dedicated to making people happy and more discussion about life and its possibilities.

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:10 am

It's hard to hear stuff like this...
---...---

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:05 am

Heard it on the news on the radio when I came home for lunch this afternoon. This is awful =/

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:56 am

It's the other people's fault, leaving them alone and depressed.

Yes, the more "higher" the country gets, the more unhappy the people are.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:14 pm

There is no true correlation between material wealth and happiness. Reaction to circumstances is entirely up to an individual and that individual’s individual brain and the chemical balances and imbalances on the beam of brain.
Or do you mean like in the North Pole Santa and his elves are pissed off mother fuckers and in the South Pole there are happy little penguins bouncing all about?

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm

icecab21 wrote: Or do you mean like in the North Pole Santa and his elves are pissed off mother fuckers and in the South Pole there are happy little penguins bouncing all about?
Nono I meant the other way, though I'm pretty sure that the penquins around the world are really happy, no worries. :)

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:41 pm

Icecab, there are a lot more depressive people in northern areas than in southern areas.

Even in the same country, that happens. Here in Spain the people living in the north (Galicia for example) suffer a lot more depressions that the rest.

And the psychologist and psychiatrist found one of the reasons because of the lack of sun.

People have a lot more depressions in winter than in summer, for example.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

eagledreamr

Post by eagledreamr » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:46 pm

RazielSR wrote:
True.

But what happened is far beyond this fact...

It's always shocking to hear such news, I always think it could happen in my country, in my city...
Life's to short to cry
Long enough to try

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:48 pm

eagledreamr wrote:
RazielSR wrote:
True.

But what happened is far beyond this fact...

It's always shocking to hear such news, I always think it could happen in my country, in my city...

Yes, I agree.

Things like this are different, but I see finland as a very calm and peaceful country, so I just can't understand things like that.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

nefertari

Post by nefertari » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:57 pm

If you want to light a candle for the victims of Kauhajoki, you will find the link here :
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =435607780

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:59 pm

That's really nice.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:31 pm

Those .22 calibre pistols should be banned right away, two shooting incidents within a year should convince the decision-makers. They are nothing but dangerous toys and serve no real purpose.

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:45 pm

Carcass wrote:Those .22 calibre pistols should be banned right away, two shooting incidents within a year should convince the decision-makers. They are nothing but dangerous toys and serve no real purpose.
But in spite of the fact that pistols were banned people would find other means to kill, harm or whatever. I think it's like all those advances in technology, science, biology...They shouldn't be forbidden because they can be used to improve things and for our sake. If some things happen is not because all these advances exist. The problem is what WE use all these things for. Human's mind is sometimes really really evil and twisted. If all those efforts we make to do evil were invested in doing good deeds this world would be a very different place. But we'll never change.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:30 pm

Lurdi wrote:
Carcass wrote:Those .22 calibre pistols should be banned right away, two shooting incidents within a year should convince the decision-makers. They are nothing but dangerous toys and serve no real purpose.
But in spite of the fact that pistols were banned people would find other means to kill, harm or whatever. I think it's like all those advances in technology, science, biology...They shouldn't be forbidden because they can be used to improve things and for our sake. If some things happen is not because all these advances exist. The problem is what WE use all these things for. Human's mind is sometimes really really evil and twisted. If all those efforts we make to do evil were invested in doing good deeds this world would be a very different place. But we'll never change.
Banning these toys is not a definitive solution, but it's a good place to start. .22 calibre (=small bullets) handguns that were used in both school-shooting incidents in Finland are not useful for anything, except shooting pigeons and... well, people. They are not accurate enough to be used for target shooting. Handguns that are designed for that come with longer barrels.

One could argue that these handguns should be available for self-protection, but in Finland very few people buy a gun for protection. Despite these two incidents, streets in Finland are safe and gun-related crimes rare.

miditek

Post by miditek » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:40 am

This was a terrible thing, and my prayers and thoughts go out to all Finns. Very sad. :cry:
Κύριε ἐλέησον

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:51 am

By the way, it was nothing that small such as mind illness or depression or something.

He had planned it since 2002.

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:33 am

I've read on some internet pages that he didn't die at the scene, they say that he shot himself but survived and that he's being treated in Tampere, is this true?
---...---

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:37 am

AGAG wrote:I've read on some internet pages that he didn't die at the scene, they say that he shot himself but survived and that he's being treated in Tampere, is this true?
He died some hours after he shot himself in the head.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:43 am

exe knight wrote:By the way, it was nothing that small such as mind illness or depression or something.

He had planned it since 2002.
Thats a long time to hold a grudge. :buh: IMO, I think something was terribly wrong with him. Didn't any of his family or friends notice his thinking? I mean, obviously. People this ill send out signals long before they do something this horrid.

An interesting article:
Could this be possible, or just speculation? ???

Finnish massacres 'may be linked'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/europe/7634937.stm

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:38 am

Very sad :( My thoughts go to the families of the victims and those recovering in hospital.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:12 am

Our politicians are incredibly short-sighted, all they keep talking about is restrictions on gun ownership. I agree that they should be in place, but this is not the root cause. More welfare officers and nurses in schools, and more money allocated to mental health treatment. Should not be a problem, the government will cut taxes by 800 million euros in the budget for next year. It took two shooting-incidents before the government started to seriously discuss tightening gun laws, and still no talk about serious measures.

Also, the Finnish education system is very efficient. Too efficient, I would say. Compared to other Nordic Countries schoolchildren in Finland are not feeling well at all. Other European countries that intend to reform their education systems in the wake of the Pisa study should think twice. I know that at least Spain is very keen on looking at Finland as an example on educational issues.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:23 pm

Carcass wrote:Also, the Finnish education system is very efficient. Too efficient, I would say. Compared to other Nordic Countries schoolchildren in Finland are not feeling well at all. Other European countries that intend to reform their education systems in the wake of the Pisa study should think twice. I know that at least Spain is very keen on looking at Finland as an example on educational issues.
More about this here.

It's in Swedish, though. According to Stakes (National Research and Development Centre for Welfare and Health) 150 million euros would be sufficient for a comprehensive mental and physical school health care.

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:10 pm

I was reading the pisa study some days ago, and I was surprised to see finland on the first place, but you said that the finnish educational system is Too efficient, how come? shouldn't this level of education be a model for the other countries to follow?? or would this somehow cause problems in the future for the students? ???
---...---

Just a Vampire

Post by Just a Vampire » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:22 am

exe knight wrote:It's the other people's fault, leaving them alone and depressed.

Yes, the more "higher" the country gets, the more unhappy the people are.
not only in the geographical sense, but also in the social and economic sense. In some studies, we the people in developing countries are happier than the people in developed countries. I think it's because of that living here is not so easy, so our mind is centered in enough things to feel unhappy. I'm not saying that we don't have depression and mental illnesses, but it don't reveal and affect the population as deep as it happens in more developed (and northern) countries.

My good wishes to the victims of this tragedy, and for the poor cop that is in the hospital.
"now he knows his father betrays
now his wings turns to ashes to ashes his grave"

Iron Maiden: Fligth of Icarus