New Food Thread

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
miditek
New Food Thread

Post by miditek » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:53 am

I can't seem to find the original Food thread- so here is another one.

I had lunch with some friends this weekend, and must admit that a lot, if not all of this stuff was kind of new to me. It was actually pretty good- let's see if anyone else here has had food similiar to this- or if anyone recognizes this.

Pork Chops

Stuffed Peppers

Sausage- a different type than I've had before

Salad

Bread

Beverage- (Guess the label is a dead giveaway of the ethnicity! =) )

Dessert- my contribution to the feast!
Κύριε ἐλέησον

NeonVomit

Re: New Food Thread

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:22 pm

Here's a recipe for a modified version of harira. We get loads of different kinds of food in Cyprus and it all mixes up wonderfully.

Eaten during the Ramadan fast after sundown, harira is an incredibly delicious and nutritious soup made with lentils and vegetables (anything eaten during Ramadan fasting must be vegetarian).

This version contains lamb shanks - it is therefore not vegetarian and completely contradicts the entire point of fasting for Ramadan. Making this soup will not only fill your hungry belly, it will aid in bringing about the downfall of all world religion. Two birds, one stone.

Soak half a cup of chickpeas and half a cup of borlotti beans (any other bean is fine) overnight in water.

Start cooking by browning 3 lamb shanks that have been pre-seasoned with sea salt flakes in a large pot. Take out the shanks, and reduce the heat. Now add three chopped cloves of garlic and a finely chopped onion. Cook for a few minutes, then add the spices:

1 tsp cumin
0.5 tsp cinammon
0.5 tsp caraway seeds
0.5 tsp corander seeds (ground)
0.5 tsp crushed black pepper
1 pinch saffron threads

Stir through, and then add 3 chopped celery sticks, a chopped celeriac root, and 2 chopped carrots, Cook for 5-6 minutes. Then add:

1 chopped can tomatoes
2 litres (quarts, whatever) water
1 beef stock cube
Browned lamb shanks
Beans and chickpeas
1/2 cup red lentils
1/2 cup pearl barley

Add a little salt, and cook on very low heat for about 5 hours, covered.

After this time, remove the shanks from the soup. The meat should fall off the bone when poked with a fork. Shred the meat into bite-sized pieces and return to the soup.

Add one cup of frozen peas and allow to cook for a couple of minutes. Shred equal portions of parsley, mint and coriander. Adjust seasoning of soup at this point.

To serve place soup in a bowl and top with shredded herbs. Stir through. Add a dollop of sheep’s milk yoghurt and a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir again before eating.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:28 pm

Penne with braised vegetables

In a pan, put enough extra virgin olive oil so that it is about 0.5 cm (1/4 inch) thick. On a low heat, add 4 chopped anchovies and a 1/2 tsp of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the anchovies basically dissolve. Now throw in 2-3 cloves of finely sliced garlic (sliced, not chopped - remember the cooking sequence from Goodfellas, that's how the garlic must be sliced. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go and watch Goodfellas right now, as this is the most important part of the recipe). The garlic shouldn't overlap too much, and each slice should be sizzling away lying flat in oil. ALlow to cook for a couple of minutes.

Now, add two shredded zucchinis, some small cauliflower florets and some broccolini sliced into 1 inch lengths. toss to coat in oil, and add extra oil if necessary. Add more salt to taste. The vegetables then need to braise in the oil for about 20 minutes (cover the pan).

Cook your penne 'til it is al dente. I mean it. Cook for 1 minute less than what the pack says. Drain and toss through your pasta.

Now, douse with grated parmigiano reggiano cheese and eat immediately. It doesn't keep well, so eat it while its fresh and hot.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:33 pm

NeonVomit wrote:remember the cooking sequence from Goodfellas, that's how the garlic must be sliced.
Maaaan, I haven't got the patience for that.

sanichi

Post by sanichi » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:08 pm

A food thread! Awsome idea, I love trying new recipes every now and then :D

@Neonvomit:
The pasta sounds delicious indeed, think I'm gonna cook this sometime the next days! Though that garlic slicing thingy sounds bit like a mystery to me :lol:

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:29 pm

sanichi wrote:A food thread! Awsome idea, I love trying new recipes every now and then :D

@Neonvomit:
The pasta sounds delicious indeed, think I'm gonna cook this sometime the next days! Though that garlic slicing thingy sounds bit like a mystery to me :lol:
It's not a mystery at all. Watch Goodfellas, when they're cooking in jail. It shows you perfectly clearly.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:38 pm

What I had today. One of my favs.

And, Penne macaroni is very versatile, as Macaroni&Cheese or as Spaghetti.

Who else likes Shrimp? :D

I dip shrimp in egg&milk, roll in a seasoning mix, then bake in a 325° oven turning every 8-10 minutes until done. Simple.
I serve them with coleslaw&hushpuppies.
At ALDI foodstore the frozen Jumbo shrimp is only $3.99 a pound. Not bad.
Oh, :oops: if using frozen shrimp, thaw them first&pat them dry.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:23 am

browneyedgirl wrote:
??? spaghetti is a different type of pasta... you mean cooked in that way?

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:37 am

NeonVomit wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:
Yes, just cook the Penne as Spaghetti pasta--boil it, drain it, then top it with the Spaghetti Sauce&Meatballs.

Maybe I can find a pic....:D

Just visualize the meatballs on it. :D
The thing about Pasta(any kind) is that a person cannot eat it too often if they are watching their weight! But, Pasta dishes are delicious, and quite economical, too.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:40 am

browneyedgirl wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:
Yes, just cook the Penne as Spaghetti pasta--boil it, drain it, then top it with the Spaghetti Sauce&Meatballs.

Maybe I can find a pic....:D
Yeah I get what you meant heh. Well I prefer penne with tomato sauces, bolognaise and spaghetti with things like pesto or Carbonara. I made a mean Carbonara the other day using Chorizo instead of bacon... it was amazing.

Random fact I discovered recently: Spaghetti and meatballs is considered an American dish, just like Chop Suey :D

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:26 am

Miditek wrote:I had lunch with some friends this weekend, and must admit that a lot, if not all of this stuff was kind of new to me.
Yes my friend introduced bread to me last week as well. What a mind-numbing, head-spinning experience!

The best part is, as I slowly become accustomed to the white-man food he will soon unveil the magic and splendor of, what is it you call it, "Pohrq-Chaup"? In my youth I exclusively ate fried yak and boiled buffalo hind, so this should be a pleasant change.

sanichi

Post by sanichi » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:26 pm

BEG wrote:
Who else likes Shrimp? :D
I do ;-), I like sea food a lot in general, though I try not to eat too much of it...draft is pretty cruel imo, but then again, you wouldnt be allowed to eat anything...

The ALDI you're talking about, is it some kind of supermaket chain in USA? We also got Aldi in Germany...just wondering wether it's the same one :)

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:35 pm

The Aldi in Kempten has suffered greatly at our hands. Aldi has started invading the UK as well now.

DayDreamer

Post by DayDreamer » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:09 pm

I love em sooooo much :luv1:

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:55 am

I'm not a big fan of chicken wings, but I DO like some other stuff from a chicken. Instance, its beak :>
:shock:
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

NightScreamer

Post by NightScreamer » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:20 am

omfg im so hungry