Celestial Dream

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Xelrog T. Apocalypse
Celestial Dream

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:27 am

Maybe I'm just a pussy, but was anyone else disappointed by how ridiculously short this song was? :( I thought it had the potential to be the next Fantasia or Infinity had it been dragged out a bit. Fantastic melody.

eternity_strato

Re: Celestial Dream

Post by eternity_strato » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:29 am

How would it be the next fantasia when it was released before? :lol:

It's a nice closure for (personally) the best album of the band.

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:46 am

I wasn't speaking literally, lol. :P It was the only song of theirs off the top of my head with a similar feel to it.

I just think it was underrated is all... wasn't thrilled with the lyrics, but the opening to it was brilliant. I can't compose a usable, much less pleasurable guitar riff for my life, and I certainly wouldn't mind hearing an extended version. ^^

Who was behind the music/lyrics? It doesn't sound too much like Tolkki's usual fare, but it wouldn't surprise me either way.

fernandotcl

Post by fernandotcl » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:08 am

I also think Celestial Dream had a great unfulfilled potential. Don't get me wrong, I also think it's a brilliant "Goodbye" song, a nice closure, but I think a "complete" version would be a big hit.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:09 am

Here in the Universe
I find some things that are so hard to understand
The vastness of space just takes my breath away
I see through history
The years they come and go
The seconds that will shape my destiny
The time that we spend here
Is precious, that I see so clear

What is our place in here?
What is the meaning of the pain we feel?
Where did all this come from?
The galaxies, the moon, the stars, oh I don't know
I really want to know what is the meaning of evolution
They say that we are the crown of all creation

So let's break free from these chains
Of fear, hate and greed
And join together singing our Celestial Dream

Freedom is awaiting
For those who take the path less traveled
And in the end we'll all sing our Celestial Dream

the song is so tolkki. one of my favorite lyrics in stratovarius

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:34 am

... by the way, does anyone know where Soldier's Prayer and Phantom of the Opera are from? I didn't see them on the discography...

There's also something called Scorpions that I haven't listened to and two different versions of Greensleeves labeled Stratovarius, but I have my doubts.

emperor_black

Post by emperor_black » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:36 am

i like it as it is... the song carries a message, that it's perfectly delivered in its 2 and half minutes.

It sounds like an arranged version of a song that a street performer would perform in the subway

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:53 am

Xelrog T. Apocalypse wrote:... by the way, does anyone know where Soldier's Prayer and Phantom of the Opera are from? I didn't see them on the discography...

There's also something called Scorpions that I haven't listened to and two different versions of Greensleeves labeled Stratovarius, but I have my doubts.
Soldier's Prayer was a song from Tolkki's first single album. However I don't know about Phantom of the Opera. Where do you have it from?

And about the Scorpions thing. I only know that they covered Black Out from the german band "Scorpions" but I dunno about a song called scorpions.

Syren.S

Post by Syren.S » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:00 am

Ragehead91 wrote:
Xelrog T. Apocalypse wrote:... by the way, does anyone know where Soldier's Prayer and Phantom of the Opera are from? I didn't see them on the discography...

Soldier's Prayer was a song from Tolkki's first single album. However I don't know about Phantom of the Opera. Where do you have it from?

And about the Scorpions thing. I only know that they covered Black Out from the german band "Scorpions" but I dunno about a song called scorpions.
Greensleeves is also from Tolkki's Classical Variations and Themes.
Phantom of the Opera - no idea. I know the song "Lord of Rings" though. :lol:
++The way that I feel is the way that I heal++

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:22 am

Unlabeled Strato songs I pirated from Limewire:
(Forgive me, Strato, I'll buy out all your albums. :cry:)

Soldier's Prayer (Love it)
Two variations of Greensleeves
Phantom of the Opera
Lord of the Rings
Daemon Church
Guitar Concerto

I was just curious which ones were Stratovarius and which ones were misnamed. I was pretty confident about Soldier's Prayer and Phantom of the Opera, LotR and Guitar Concerto sound Strato enough. And apparently one of the two Greensleeves was just confirmed. I can upload any of the others if anyone's curious though.

And I just listened to Scorpions - it's just another copy of Blackout. Some halfwit must have misnamed it, but it happens. >> To be honest I'm glad to hear that was taken from another band, though. It's always been my least favorite Strato song.

fernandotcl

Post by fernandotcl » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:09 am

Phantom Of The Opera could be the Nightwish song, though that's hardly comparable to anything Stratovarius has ever done.

There are a lot of mislabeled tracks in those shitty networks (FastTrack, Gnutella, etc.). If you're going to pirate those albums, at least do it right (with BitTorrent or an ed2k client)! :lol:

Be sure to buy TT's Classical Themes And Variations, it's an amazing album.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:09 am

*deletes Phantom of the Opera*

The voices are pretty similar, which is why I wasn't sure. But I didn't want to believe the music was theirs. :(

Anyway, here's the other, better-quality Greensleeves, and here's Daemon Church. Since integrity isn't all that reliable around the net at this point, I can't much say if either one is theirs. Daemon Church sounds a bit too Symphony X to be Stratovarius but a bit too Stratovarius to be Symphony X. No idea where it's from.

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:48 am

No idea. I'll take your word for it, though.

(And by better quality I just meant the sound file, as compared to the YouTube video and my own copy. Personally I like the two equally.)

Inventariado

Post by Inventariado » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:57 am

Xelrog T. Apocalypse wrote:Who was behind the music/lyrics? It doesn't sound too much like Tolkki's usual fare, but it wouldn't surprise me either way.
Tolkki 100%!
emperor_black wrote:It sounds like an arranged version of a song that a street performer would perform in the subway.
Totally agree. Even I tried!
Mariano

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:50 am

... oh wow. I'm impressed. Really. I might just download your version in addition to theirs.

Is that piano intro part of the original song, or did you play that? If it is I must not have the full version. :cry:

Tero-75

Post by Tero-75 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:58 am

fernandotcl wrote:Phantom Of The Opera could be the Nightwish song, though that's hardly comparable to anything Stratovarius has ever done.
Phantom Of The Opera was only (well) covered by Nightwish. It's originally from Andrew Loyd Webber's same named musical.

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:03 pm

... isn't... that kind of a given? =P

DayDreamer

Post by DayDreamer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:45 pm

I love Celestial Dream the intro with the orchestra is just.....too good to be true

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:56 pm

Celestial Dream is THE Relaxing song

I have great memories of it.
Walking home watching the birds flying back to North and Plants growing again and the whole nature being reborn and awaiting the Summer.
And listening to Celestial Dream

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:02 pm

Forever and Keep the Flame are pretty nice in that respect, too. At least I think so.

Celestial Dream feels almost noble to me, though. Like something you'd hear in the final cutscene of a game as it fades into the credits, if you'll excuse the rather blatant simile.

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:06 pm

I don't like Celestial Dream at all. I mean, everything sounds nice, but the actual song just doesn't do anything for me. And frankly, it's boring.

After thinking more and more about Infinite, the more and more it feels like wonderful, yet random ideas just thrown together. Truly great songs can flow from beginning to end without really having the listener adjust to the new sound. They just flow naturally, like the song "Destiny."

A lot of the music in Infinite, particularly the longer pieces, just don't flow very nicely. They may have amazing parts (like the solos and ending to "Mother Gaia", or the chorus to "Infinity"), but the entire album feels disjointed.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:46 pm

so we have
have great memories of it.
Walking home watching the birds flying back to North and Plants growing again and the whole nature being reborn and awaiting the Summer.
And listening to Celestial Dream
from one person and

boring.
from another

love to see the verity of ways that songs affect people

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:08 pm

Star_Ocean wrote:I don't like Celestial Dream at all. I mean, everything sounds nice, but the actual song just doesn't do anything for me. And frankly, it's boring.
Agreed. This is actually one of my least-favourite songs from Stratovarius. Well, actually, the only Stratovarius Ballad I've ever liked was Forever. The other ones don't really do anything for me.

Fuuso

Post by Fuuso » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:58 pm

I guess Celestial Dream could have been a bit longer, but it's still a beautiful song

foerg

Post by foerg » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:24 pm

keep the flame is one of my favourites...

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:04 pm

For me it's a “I like the lyrics more than the song" kind of song. I think someone would have to be rather cold to have the lyrics do nothing for them.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:42 pm

I really like celestial dream and it's a great song however if we're talking about ballads I always liked mother gaia a lot more.

Just my opinion by the way
metal feeds the beast

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:02 am

icecab21 wrote:For me it's a “I like the lyrics more than the song" kind of song. I think someone would have to be rather cold to have the lyrics do nothing for them.
That's me. <:3

The lyrics just seem played-out to me. Stereotypical. Like a street performer, as someone said before... at least the chorus, anyway. The introduction stunned me, though - it's one of those simple, yet magnificent and melodic tunes that you have to wonder why nobody thought of it before now, like Destiny and Visions.

Personally, Mother Gaia never did anything for me. In fact I never really cared for it, personally. With Phantom of the Opera and Blackout out of the picture though, I'm not sure I can pick any one least favorite Strato song. Those were the only two listed that I actually disliked. I'm surprised at how varied the opinions on this song are, too, though.

Oh, I just remembered one. The Land of Ice and Snow, I thought, was also fantastic. I have a hard time deciding between the two but I think Celestial Dream just barely beats it out in my book. A Drop in the Ocean was another nice one.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:31 am

Ah, I forgot about "Land of Ice and Snow". This and Forever were the only 2 ballads that "did" anything for me. I really like them. And that "A Tale that wasn't right" rip-off Keep The Flame alive was also pretty good (If you count it as Stratovarius song).

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:02 am

And that "A Tale that wasn't right" rip-off Keep The Flame alive was also pretty good
the rythem, melody and chord progressions of those songs are completly different.