Timo Tolkki's review of Polaris

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
jle52
Timo Tolkki's review of Polaris

Post by jle52 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:14 am

Not sure if anyone has read this. Totally disagree with this and I believe Polaris is much better then the 2 RR albums

http://www.revolution-renaissance.com/f ... f=11&t=339

Ragehead91

Re: Timo Tolkki's review of Polaris

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:41 am

Yeah, start some new drama again will ya? :roll:

ap3311

Post by ap3311 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:41 am

Not entirely surprising...

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:46 am

I'm not saying that Tolkki should've praised the album. He is entitled to have his opinion but the thing is as soon as he says something that is just a bit negative about Strato everyone who is "on his side" starts to bash Strato and create new drama. It is a weird situation.

CES

Post by CES » Wed May 20, 2009 2:49 am

Drama = Publicity
Publicity = Sales
Drama = Inane bullshit.

So, do Sales = Bullshit then? Something to ponder about while the kids argue.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Wed May 20, 2009 2:58 am

CES wrote:Drama = Publicity
Publicity = Sales
Drama = Inane bullshit.

So, do Sales = Bullshit then? Something to ponder about while the kids argue.
Let kids bite each others' fingers, I would say-
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_OBlgSz8sSM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_OBlgSz8sSM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

emperor_black

Post by emperor_black » Wed May 20, 2009 4:01 am

COME ON, WHEN IS THIS GUY GOING TO SHUT THE F*** UP? I bet TT gave the Stratovarius name in the heat of a moment. He's now out of Stratovarius, and he regrets this very much. and He doesn't stop talking about Strato instead of focusing in his own band. Oh, which band? ah yeah... RR... I almost forgot they existed as TT haven't published any information of it since the release of AoA.

It's funny to me to see how he credites an album or not to be from Stratovarius. So according to him, the first Stratovarius album is Twilight Time and the last is Elements Part I.

Well, as he has his opinion I have mine, and my opinion is that Polaris is a veeeery good album and that he's terribly hurt as IS A FACT that Stratovarius can continue without him. The question is: can HE continue WITHOUT Stratovarius? as it seems, he can't. He released New Era by himself and i'm glad he did, because it's painfully "so-so" and we fans deserved something better if it was going to have the Stratovarius name on it. Then he realeased AoA, which is certainly better, BUT WHERE IS THE BAND? is RR disbanded now or something? what about the SA tour of December 08? what about the SA tour of march 09? what about any gig somewhere in the world? silence.

Stratovarius is on the road again, and I foresee success for them.

grrr i'll stop it here. this thing made me so angry. I will just try from now on to avoid reading anything Timo Tolkki writes about Stratovarius to try to keep some respect for him.

emperor_black

Post by emperor_black » Wed May 20, 2009 4:09 am

Ragehead91 wrote:I'm not saying that Tolkki should've praised the album. He is entitled to have his opinion but the thing is as soon as he says something that is just a bit negative about Strato everyone who is "on his side" starts to bash Strato and create new drama. It is a weird situation.
my opinion is that he likes to generate this kind of dramas and forum-flames "innocently"

jle52

Post by jle52 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:15 am

Maybe Tolkki should have waited until he heard Polaris before writing the new RR album.

It might have inspired him to write something good and not such a boring album (apart from Into the Future which is an awesome track)

It would be interesting to see a Stratovarius member review Age of Aquarius.

I'm sure even if they did not like the album, the review would have some respect to it unlike Tolkki's review

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:22 am

Jens did give a review of AOA, he gave it a positive review found a lot more in it than the people that call it boring do.

emperor_black

Post by emperor_black » Wed May 20, 2009 4:25 am

jle52 wrote:Maybe Tolkki should have waited until he heard Polaris before writing the new RR album.

It might have inspired him to write something good and not such a boring album (apart from Into the Future which is an awesome track)
LOL xD well, I loved Sins of my Beloved and Ghost of Fallen Grace, apart from Into the Future
jle52 wrote:It would be interesting to see a Stratovarius member review Age of Aquarius.

I'm sure even if they did not like the album, the review would have some respect to it unlike Tolkki's review

Jens Already said that he considered it to be good, and of course you won't finds those levels of hatred on Stratovarius guys' words.

So... who is and who isn't carrying the legacy? this seems like a "good" question for a poll, but i'm definitely not going no waste my time making a thread of such a stupid matter

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:44 am

The whole thing about "legacy" is strange to me. I would be happy just knowing that the songs touched people in great ways. I don't think there needs to be a issue of taking credit. Both stratovarius and RR have people that really love the music. They both have comments about how the music is touching. I think music is made for the self and can be shared with those that enjoy it; it's not really about the people that don't care to find something in it.

Ricardo1701

Post by Ricardo1701 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:11 am

well, I feel that TT can't accept Stratovarius without him, even if unconsciously...

I just don't know why there has to be this competition from who is better, Stratovarius or R.R.

and, just a comment regarding the SA tour in the last year, it doesn't happened because the tour manager was occuppied with the Nightwish tour...I'm not defending TT, it's just a fact that happened

_Pepe_

Post by _Pepe_ » Wed May 20, 2009 6:02 am

DRAMA , DRAMA and more DRAMA. i'm very tired about this situation.

TT knows that,if he start to speak about "polaris" will generated more debate ...
why don't stop all this?

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Wed May 20, 2009 6:21 am

emperor_black wrote: Well, as he has his opinion I have mine, and my opinion is that Polaris is a veeeery good album and that he's terribly hurt as IS A FACT that Stratovarius can continue without him.
Totally agree with you there. I'm sure it's not easy, after all the time spent with the band, but he needs to move on and focus on his own thing now.

I think Polaris sounds awesome. I'm just liking it more each time I listen to it.

stonedphoenix

Post by stonedphoenix » Wed May 20, 2009 6:26 am

_Pepe_ wrote:DRAMA , DRAMA and more DRAMA. i'm very tired about this situation.

TT knows that,if he start to speak about "polaris" will generated more debate ...
why don't stop all this?
Maybe because he likes to be the bitch (?)

I don't really understand either..
I just read his review of Polaris and it seems like he wrote it with a little bit of anger or i dunno..[/albumandstatementfeelingreader]

Anyway, i do love both albums Polaris and AoA.

stratoleo

Post by stratoleo » Wed May 20, 2009 8:59 am

Enough of the drama of Mr. tolkki...
the new Stratovarius is the important thing now :)
Stratovarius is the best band in the world

The Enigma

Post by The Enigma » Wed May 20, 2009 9:30 am

Com'on, I don't think anyone has to take Timo's opinion as a personal attack. He is well entitled to say his view about Polaris like we all do. Actually he did not say anythng bad about the CD, mainly his message is that he would have done it differrently. Since he was over 20 years the leader of the band, the one who had a tight grip on every musical move and also on production of the albums, it's quite natural of him to comapare the Polarids outcome to his own visions how Stratovarius would have sounded in his hands.

Now the other guys can have their input on the CDs as they please, which naturally becomes something else than Timo's view. Such things as presence or lack of "soul" are subjective and debatable. We all have our own views about the "Stratovarius soul" which won't match too well together as has become obvious here on this very board during all the fights in past years's LOL

I'm happy to have both Timo and the rest of the band keeping on making music on their own instead of calling it quits. No need to start wars or take sides, here is plenty of room for the renewed Strato and Timo's RR as well. And there will never be enough good positive metalsongs in the world, so keep it coming guys.
The 1st rock thrown again
Welcome to hell, little Saint
Mother Gaia in slaughter
Welcome to paradise, Soldier

flyingdistantskies

Post by flyingdistantskies » Wed May 20, 2009 10:33 am

Well I think that Mr tolkki's ego has woken up one more time. It must me hard to realize that "his" band has survives without him.
In fact they can make strato without tolkki.
Maybe he realizes that he was the missing piece in strato and responsible for this past disaster.
And about his review, it's strange because it's exactly the same review that I would have made for new era :)

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Wed May 20, 2009 11:10 am

Of course Stratoforum is not the best place to say this, but anyways I will say. Polaris is a great album and it sounds in a new way. I would call it very successful. And I disagree with Tolkki. But IMO Tolkki's Age of Aquarius is much more emotional and finally better. And now you all can pelt me with rotten tomatoes. :roll: It's only my modest opinion.

lalodrums2

you are right

Post by lalodrums2 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:14 am

emperor_black wrote:COME ON, WHEN IS THIS GUY GOING TO SHUT THE F*** UP? I bet TT gave the Stratovarius name in the heat of a moment. He's now out of Stratovarius, and he regrets this very much. and He doesn't stop talking about Strato instead of focusing in his own band. Oh, which band? ah yeah... RR... I almost forgot they existed as TT haven't published any information of it since the release of AoA.

It's funny to me to see how he credites an album or not to be from Stratovarius. So according to him, the first Stratovarius album is Twilight Time and the last is Elements Part I.

Well, as he has his opinion I have mine, and my opinion is that Polaris is a veeeery good album and that he's terribly hurt as IS A FACT that Stratovarius can continue without him. The question is: can HE continue WITHOUT Stratovarius? as it seems, he can't. He released New Era by himself and i'm glad he did, because it's painfully "so-so" and we fans deserved something better if it was going to have the Stratovarius name on it. Then he realeased AoA, which is certainly better, BUT WHERE IS THE BAND? is RR disbanded now or something? what about the SA tour of December 08? what about the SA tour of march 09? what about any gig somewhere in the world? silence.

Stratovarius is on the road again, and I foresee success for them.

grrr i'll stop it here. this thing made me so angry. I will just try from now on to avoid reading anything Timo Tolkki writes about Stratovarius to try to keep some respect for him.
I totally agree with you.

In addition I think, maybe someone is looking for attention. :(

Go stratovarius, go !!! You rock!!! :)

Syren.S

Post by Syren.S » Wed May 20, 2009 1:31 pm

Morgana wrote:Of course Stratoforum is not the best place to say this, but anyways I will say. Polaris is a great album and it sounds in a new way. I would call it very successful. And I disagree with Tolkki. But IMO Tolkki's Age of Aquarius is much more emotional and finally better. And now you all can pelt me with rotten tomatoes. :roll: It's only my modest opinion.
Hmmm... you know, I actually agree with you. I like AOA more than Polaris, so let the rotten tomatoes come to both of us.
it's all personal music taste, and personal interpretation of "emotional" - or - "soul".
++The way that I feel is the way that I heal++

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed May 20, 2009 1:36 pm

Morgana wrote:Of course Stratoforum is not the best place to say this, but anyways I will say. Polaris is a great album and it sounds in a new way. I would call it very successful. And I disagree with Tolkki. But IMO Tolkki's Age of Aquarius is much more emotional and finally better. And now you all can pelt me with rotten tomatoes. :roll: It's only my modest opinion.
Perfectly fair opinion. I haven't heard AOA yet but I've read good reviews.

Of course people are going to compare the two. I'll post my own opinion when I get my hands on them.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Wed May 20, 2009 3:20 pm

I think I understand why Tolkki said there was no soul.
It is normal. Of course all the strato songs he wrote a lot more to him than anyone else. they were his creations straight from the heart and then some other people take over his name and start do the same stuff with the only exeption being that he no longer is involved in the songs. Of course they don't have the same feeling for him.

Yet he didin't say that the album was musically bad.

foerg

Post by foerg » Wed May 20, 2009 3:27 pm

i just read the interview...

i can´t understand what tt is talking about. i think polaris has more "soul" than any other stratovarius album since infinity...

i just like the "old ones" and i´m very glad that there are very "old-fashioned" songs on the album, higher we go, forever is today and so one...

i am also a fan of new era album, there are at least three, four great songs on it (ok, on polaris, there are a little bit more good songs, about 7 more). but i couldn´t find my way to AoA. i think the whole atmosphere of the album is too negative.

but just another personal opinion of a happy metal fan...

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Wed May 20, 2009 3:38 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:I'm not saying that Tolkki should've praised the album. He is entitled to have his opinion but the thing is as soon as he says something that is just a bit negative about Strato everyone who is "on his side" starts to bash Strato and create new drama. It is a weird situation.
This also works the other way around. Whenever I write something negative about Stratovarius, it seems like it's the end of the world for Stratovarius fans.
It's almost like a religious attitude towards something that cannot be criticized.
It's also a bit weird since the guys are playing songs I composed and most of you loved/love:)
Then again, if for example TK makes interviews bashing me or Jörg thinks I "sold the band", that's okay.
I do reserve the right to be wrong:) and right for expression of opinion without being attacked or called with names.

JavyMetal1092

Post by JavyMetal1092 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:30 pm

The Enigma wrote:Com'on, I don't think anyone has to take Timo's opinion as a personal attack. He is well entitled to say his view about Polaris like we all do. Actually he did not say anythng bad about the CD, mainly his message is that he would have done it differrently. Since he was over 20 years the leader of the band, the one who had a tight grip on every musical move and also on production of the albums, it's quite natural of him to comapare the Polarids outcome to his own visions how Stratovarius would have sounded in his hands.

Now the other guys can have their input on the CDs as they please, which naturally becomes something else than Timo's view. Such things as presence or lack of "soul" are subjective and debatable. We all have our own views about the "Stratovarius soul" which won't match too well together as has become obvious here on this very board during all the fights in past years's LOL

I'm happy to have both Timo and the rest of the band keeping on making music on their own instead of calling it quits. No need to start wars or take sides, here is plenty of room for the renewed Strato and Timo's RR as well. And there will never be enough good positive metalsongs in the world, so keep it coming guys.
+1
Stratofan forever, Long Life to the Metal! \m/

JavyMetal1092

Post by JavyMetal1092 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:37 pm

TimoTolkki wrote:
This also works the other way around. Whenever I write something negative about Stratovarius, it seems like it's the end of the world for Stratovarius fans.
It's almost like a religious attitude towards something that cannot be criticized.
It's also a bit weird since the guys are playing songs I composed and most of you loved/love:)
Then again, if for example TK makes interviews bashing me or Jörg thinks I "sold the band", that's okay.
I do reserve the right to be wrong:) and right for expression of opinion without being attacked or called with names.
well, we are fans :D it's normal in us, to defend to our favorite band and this it not badly, I also accept other opinions , but fight before :lol:
Stratofan forever, Long Life to the Metal! \m/

lalodrums2

Post by lalodrums2 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:16 pm

JavyMetal1092 wrote:
TimoTolkki wrote:
well, we are fans :D it's normal in us, to defend to our favorite band and this it not badly, I also accept other opinions , but fight before :lol:
I just can't get it. Let it go. What's the point? Let's talk about RR in RR forum. And let's talk about "positive things" of stratovarius here, don't you guys think? :)

Polaris = Positive album, great collaborations, a result of a BAND sharing ideas. Five stars. Period.

I wish them the best on this succesful tour, and I respect and admire them due to the fact of being together as a band (besides all the things that this envolve).

P.S. Like it or not :( What really matters are the facts, not the words. I wonder how many albums are going to be sold of this album "polaris" ;)

P.S.2. STRATOVARIUS, HIGHER THEY GO!! :)

CES

Post by CES » Wed May 20, 2009 5:24 pm

TimoTolkki wrote: This also works the other way around. Whenever I write something negative about Stratovarius, it seems like it's the end of the world for Stratovarius fans.
It's called the "The Fans are Complete Morons" effect. First observed in the mid-1980's with the rise of the NWOBHM and Metal's ever increasing popularity, insecure fans felt threatened by a differing opinion. Since then it has became intertwined with the "Elitist Idiots" effect (more commonly known as "I've been a fan since they were indie") which has created a previously unknown level of stupid.

Really, it makes for a fascinating study on the pettiness of music fans though I'm sure any musician is more than familiar with that.