Helloween Guitarrists

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.

Who's the best Helloween Guitarrist of all times

Kai Hansen
53%
Michael Weikath
18%
Roland Grapow
13%
Sascha Gerstner
16%

Total votes: 62

Ragehead91
Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:12 pm

hiro23 wrote:Ragehead:it seems to me what you like is when a band doesn't turn too much away from it's root sound, if that's the case I agree.
100%
For example Edguy with Hellfire Club. For that albums they changed their sound a bit. It was heavier than anything we had seen before from Edguy but it was still Edguy. Rocket Ride and Tinnitus aren't really Edguy for me. It is just Heavy/Hard Rock Crap. And If I want to listen to Heavy/Hard Rock or Hair Metal I listen to Deep Purple, UFO, The Scorpions, Michael Schenker Group, Led Zepplin, Whitesnake, Thin Lizzy, Mötley Crue, Quiet Riot, Skid Row, Twisted Sister and what not, but not Edguy.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:01 pm

Ragehead:and that's fine if that's what you like, I just personally find it a little boring if a band does the same thing over and over. I mean I don't like 180's either but I think a little expermintation can help a band to not become stale
metal feeds the beast

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:42 am

Ragehead91 wrote:It seems to me like they get their motivation from Sonic Syndicate. Another Swedish Melo Death Metal band that had one decent album and then turned into Metalcore/Emocore crap.

Yes. If you overlock the Chameleon, Helloween has yet to dissapoint me. Yeah, I said I didn't really like PBGA and RDCE, but they're both not as bad as Chameleon IMO.
I know a lot of people didn't really like RDCE, but I love it. It is not my favorite, but some great songs on there: Open Your Life, The Tune, Just A Little Sign, Sun 4 The World, Hell Was Made In Heaven, Liar..... Ok now I wanna listen to it :P

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:50 am

Actually, the album is okay. What hurts the album so much for me is that "The Dark Ride" was released before it. And "The Dark Ride" is by far my favourite album of Helloween. And in comperisson RDCE is weak IMHO,

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:03 pm

Got ya. Yea I like The Dark Ride better too, and the title track is one of my favorite Helloween songs ever, it is just brilliant.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:11 pm

When I saw them last year half the set list was keepers 1/2. I wonder if later they will change the mix. It makes me wonder if they feel obligated to play so many keepers or if they just love the albums so much. The songs did get the best fan reactions from the venue.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Babylon wrote:Got ya. Yea I like The Dark Ride better too, and the title track is one of my favorite Helloween songs ever, it is just brilliant.
The title track is amazing, but Immortal is my personal favourite from the album. In fact, I might actually be the only Helloween-fan who thinks Immortal is one of their greatest songs.
Then of course there are Mirror Mirror, Escalation 666 and The Departed, which for me are among the worst songs Helloween ever made.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:29 pm

icecab21 wrote:When I saw them last year half the set list was keepers 1/2. I wonder if later they will change the mix. It makes me wonder if they feel obligated to play so many keepers or if they just love the albums so much. The songs did get the best fan reactions from the venue.
I think it is the first 1. I'm sure that they like the albums too, but a lot of the fans want to hear that stuff and they will be disappointed if they don't get to hear it. So yeah, I think they feel obligated somehow. Although I'm very disappointed about that. They should stop beating a dead horse and move on, so to speak. 1 or 2 Keeper songs are okay but PLEASE not the half setlist. They wrote awesome stuff with Deris and I'm getting sick of the Keeper Overkill. I know these are the songs the band is most known for but still.
Mormegil wrote:
Babylon wrote:Got ya. Yea I like The Dark Ride better too, and the title track is one of my favorite Helloween songs ever, it is just brilliant.
The title track is amazing, but Immortal is my personal favourite from the album. In fact, I might actually be the only Helloween-fan who thinks Immortal is one of their greatest songs.
Then of course there are Mirror Mirror, Escalation 666 and The Departed, which for me are among the worst songs Helloween ever made.
WOW! The Departed among the worst Helloween songs? I know I have to respect your opinion, but dude, what are you smoking? That song is awesome and I wish that they play it live again! Maybe my favourite Helloween song of all time and the reason why I love Uli Kusch so much!

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:46 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:WOW! The Departed among the worst Helloween songs? I know I have to respect your opinion, but dude, what are you smoking? That song is awesome and I wish that they play it live again! Maybe my favourite Helloween song of all time and the reason why I love Uli Kusch so much!
I thought Departed was just way too simple and "emo" for a Helloween song. Many people seem to like it though, so what do I care.

And thanks for reminding me about smoking, like this quitting -thing wasn't hard enough already. :lol: Two days without a cigarette. FFFFFFUUUUUU...

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:50 pm

Mormegil wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:WOW! The Departed among the worst Helloween songs? I know I have to respect your opinion, but dude, what are you smoking? That song is awesome and I wish that they play it live again! Maybe my favourite Helloween song of all time and the reason why I love Uli Kusch so much!
I thought Departed was just way too simple and "emo" for a Helloween song. Many people seem to like it though, so what do I care.

And thanks for reminding me about smoking, like this quitting -thing wasn't hard enough already. :lol: Two days without a cigarette. FFFFFFUUUUUU...
Departed and Emo? WHAT? This song is a masterpiece! I agree that they aren't any great flashy riffs or a long guitar solo, but the song doens't need that. It is awesome as it is. A very dark, atmospheric song that is to me the highlight of "The Dark Ride" together with the titel track.

And about smoking: Well, I never started smoking although my parents smoke. My father quit though.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:32 pm

I like all of the helloween albums in different ways, I don't really think they've ever come out with a bad album.
metal feeds the beast

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:33 pm

As I said, to me both Chameleon (because of the new direction I hate) and Walls of Jericho (because of Kai's voice) are bad releases to me.

Florian

Post by Florian » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:58 pm

The 2 worst albums are in my opinion Chameleon and The Dark Ride.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:38 am

How is The Dark Ride bad? I never understood why so many don't like it. It is my favourite Helloween Album together with Keeper I and II and Gambling with the Devil.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:20 pm

Ragehead:probably because it was a very different approach from previous albums, many complained it had too much industrial influence in it. I do not agree with this however those were the complaints that I have read about it.
metal feeds the beast

Florian

Post by Florian » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:41 pm

I can't hear Helloween's music in The Dark Ride, excepted in a few songs: Mr Torture, All Over The Nations and The Dark Ride.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:02 pm

I think you can clearly hear that it is a Helloween Album. I love the dark approach and I wish that they'd continued in that direction. Well, they somehow did with Gambling but that was more "Better than Raw" dark than "The Dark Ride" dark.

Florian

Post by Florian » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:39 pm

I like Better Than Raw, but The Dark Ride hasn't got Helloween's sound in my opinion.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:49 pm

I disagree. I think it has the Helloween sound. It is much darker than the other albums but it has the Helloween sound.

Florian

Post by Florian » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:54 pm

So we definitely have a different opinion about this album. Perhaps I will chock you... I like much better Chameleon to The Dark Ride. :lol:

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:11 am

Well, that actually is a shock since Chameleon is from the both albums I don't like the one I dislike the most.

Florian

Post by Florian » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:33 am

Many people think Chameleon is the worst album. But to me, Chameleon is a little better than The Dark Ride, which is (in my opinion) the worst.

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:17 am

icecab21 wrote:When I saw them last year half the set list was keepers 1/2. I wonder if later they will change the mix. It makes me wonder if they feel obligated to play so many keepers or if they just love the albums so much. The songs did get the best fan reactions from the venue.
I know! I agree with Ragehead, I think they feel obligated to play those songs. For me, one of the best set lists was the one from the RDCE tour, very well balanced. Wish they would do something like that again. I would love to hear more stuff The Time Of The Oath or Better Than Raw.

Mormegil wrote: The title track is amazing, but Immortal is my personal favourite from the album. In fact, I might actually be the only Helloween-fan who thinks Immortal is one of their greatest songs.
I like Immortal, Mirror Mirror (love the riff) and The Departed a lot. Escalation 666 is definitely not among my favorites but I wouldn't say it's one of the worst. A matter of personal taste :) Although I have a friend who says he doesn't like to ask my opinion about any Helloween stuff because "you're a fangirl" :lol:

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:24 am

The people who know me know that when they ask me something about one of these bands that I will give them a war and peace book of answers.
metal feeds the beast

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:47 pm

Babylon wrote:
I know! I agree with Ragehead, I think they feel obligated to play those songs. For me, one of the best set lists was the one from the RDCE tour, very well balanced. Wish they would do something like that again. I would love to hear more stuff The Time Of The Oath or Better Than Raw.
And The Dark Ride. And I'm not talking about "Mr. Torture" or "If I Could Fly". I want to hear "The Departed" and the titel track.

Florian

Post by Florian » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:55 pm

They won't play the title track again I think, because this song was written by Roland Grapow.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:57 pm

So what? They still play songs written by Kai Hansen nowdays. So why not songs by Grapow?

Florian

Post by Florian » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:13 pm

Kai's songs were not played until... 2001 (excepted Future World). Michi's songs were not played since he was fired from the band, so... And Roland is not Weiki's friend, so I think Helloween will never play again one of Roland's songs.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:24 pm

And that is a fucking shame. (for the Kusch and Grapow songs at least. I don't give a shit about Michis songs since they were normaly the worst songs apart from A Little Time and Kids of the Century).

Florian

Post by Florian » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:25 pm

I really like We Got The Right but I think this song is really too difficult to sing for Deris.