...Favourite Stratovarius forum POLARIS song...

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.

Your favourite Polaris song.

Poll ended at Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:15 pm

Deep Unknown
13%
Falling Star
3%
King of nothing
18%
Blind
11%
Winter Skies
12%
Forever is today
23%
Higher We Go
5%
Somehow Precious
2%
Emancipation suite: I Dusk
6%
Emancipation suite: II Dawn
2%
When Mountains Fall
4%

Total votes: 94

Rage1979
Re: ...Favourite Stratovarius forum POLARIS song...

Post by Rage1979 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:26 pm

Eugenia wrote:Forever is Today!!! It is a mixture of no turning back and legions with a positive message. I simply love it! It's powerful and it has all the ingredients to be a classic strato song.
Agree. But there can maximum be 2 of those kind of songs on an album.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:43 pm

I disagree. More of those songs and less of those boring, tedious ballads/slow balladic songs.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:14 am

i kind of like a 40/30/30 or 40/40/20 ratio of speed, midtempo, and slow. i think that allows for rest and variation

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:34 am

Ragehead91 wrote:I disagree. More of those songs and less of those boring, tedious ballads/slow balladic songs.
Just to piss you off, I voted for Winter Skies, which is also my favourite song on the album :D
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:32 am

I voted Winter Skies too, it is my favourite.

Anyway I think it would be better to change Somehow precious for another epic, fast or mid tempo song. Higher we go and Somehow precious should be bonus tracks imo.

And I have to say that musically I like a lot Somehow precious, the guitar work is excellent, but the lyrics...If you try to connect that with Stratovarius... :roll:... :shock: ... :? ...

"...what have I said...what have I done....can I have another chance..."...

...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

shg

Post by shg » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:44 am

Raziel: Perhaps the word refers only to ordinary life ... Sometimes things like that happens. There will be said and done all kinds of ill-considered. :(

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:55 am

shg wrote:Raziel: Perhaps the word refers only to ordinary life ... Sometimes things like that happens. There will be said and done all kinds of ill-considered. :(
c'mon dude...

And today
I still feel the same
Even though you are so near
I try to talk
my lips are whispering now your name
but the words have seem to disappear

All the bad things that I said
Will not leave me be
Once again I'm all alone in my bed

That's a love song, a typical love song.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

shg

Post by shg » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:59 am

I know it very clearly. I love that song, it is very meaningful to me.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:05 am

Ok, but not very meaningful for Stratovarius if you see the discography.

EDIT: I mean, if somebody broke your heart, I understand that is gonna be helpful to you. (maybe)

But Stratovarius always talked about trascendental things. I know that was TT's creations and we will never see lyrics like Visions, Eternity, Infinity again, but in Polaris we have another very very good lyrics and meaningful and with a lot of feeling. In Somehow precious we have the typical man crying because the woman broke his heart...

shg

Post by shg » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:11 am

Maybe this is the case. I can not think the songs, aggregated band. I listen only to the individual songs. :) I have not even heard all Stratovarus songs. I'm not so fan.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:14 am

shg wrote:Maybe this is the case. I can not think the songs, aggregated band. I listen only to the individual songs. :) I have not even heard all Stratovarus songs. I'm not so fan.
Nothing more to say, thanks :lol:

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:26 am

Songs are going to mean different things for different people. Part of this depends on what context a person is coming from and how they process the song and connect it with other ideas. For me somehow precious is a big idea song about relationships in many senses. I guess someone can reduce it to something they consider small, but there is more to it than that. The easiest thing in the world is to not allow something to really have an impact.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:40 am

Yes, I agree icecab, completely. But Somehow precious just have one context if you read the lyrics...

But I suppose you agree with me that a love song in a Stratovarius album is not very...I don't know...Do you identify Stratovarius with love songs? Songs like "What can I say" never appeared in a studio album (even not having that direct lyrics SP has). I suppose it was because of TT's vision. I don't want love songs in Stratovarius albums, that's all. Stratovarius is something more than a personal relationship with a woman. Or at least it was.

Or if some personal relationship is covered in some Stratovarius previous songs, it is in a way that you can't identify so directly and you could just take with another interpretation.

As a song? It is a good song, of course. But, do I want the song in the album? No, I prefer it as a bonus track.

nefertari

Post by nefertari » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:51 am

Winter Skies and King Of Nothing are now my favourites, after listening Polaris for...I don´t know how many times :crazy2:

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:55 am

I have to say that there's a song that is surprisingly wonderful for me now: Falling Star. It is now one of my fav songs. I love that song and the first times I listened to it, I said...meh...

Fantastic song.

shg

Post by shg » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:16 pm

Raziel: "EDIT: I mean, if somebody broke your heart, I understand that is gonna be helpful to you. (maybe)" That is the point! And SP is the song where I can understand allmost the words. :lol:

I like Blind, but I can not understand the meaning of the words. :)

Stefanfortmann

Post by Stefanfortmann » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:57 am

definately Winter Skies
Hold on to your dream