Excalion

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
mayhem-for-all
Excalion

Post by mayhem-for-all » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:39 pm

There was no Topic for them and they definately deserve one so...

Excalion is a young Finnish band playing Melodic / Power Metal.
Their first album Primal Exhale was just some demos and such re-recorded but the second album Waterlines was pure metal masterpiece. They left out the power metal cliches and developed more their own sound.
In result the songs were a lot better.

They all (exept the guitarist) come from Konnevesi (even a smaller place than Lappajärvi where Kotipelto comes from)

Unfortunately for the fans the first album is no longer avaivable because of the label that released it, Sound Riot Records.
They removed their sites and contacts and stopped publishing records. They just vanished.
Now they are propably somewhere warm enjoying an early retirement.

Waterlines however was released through Limb music so it is still avaivable and easy to locate.

The band issued an update a short time ago that they will soon reveal their new label and tell more about the next album that was composed last year.
The guitarrist tells in his myspace blog that the album is ready and they will enter studio anytime soon.

I Have been listening to Waterlines a lot lately and I have to say that it is my favourite album of all times and Excalion is my definate favourite band along with Strato.

the Whole Waterlines album is avaivable on youtube by a certain user. You can find all the songs by searching with the name of the song. Just Excalion won't find the songs.

My favourite songs are Soaking Ground, Losing time and the Wingman.
But really any song they have made is good.
The early stuff from the first album is good too if you find some of it somewhere but it just takes more time to grow.

At the moment I have a feeling that this topic won't get much response but this band really would deserve a lot more attention than it gets.

I hope things will go better in the future.

icecab21

Re: Excalion

Post by icecab21 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:34 pm

They left out the power metal cliches
what do you mean by this?

I love them but I can't say I think anything they do it outside the realm of melodic/power/symphonic/ classical metal.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:11 pm

They're okay. I don't understand the hype about them but they're okay.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:12 am

icecab21 wrote:
They left out the power metal cliches
what do you mean by this?

I love them but I can't say I think anything they do it outside the realm of melodic/power/symphonic/ classical metal.
Less double bass and such.
The next one was just more like melodic metal.
The songs had huge variety.

Well the songwriting progressed a lot.
For example there was no suh ballad as Heart&Home on the first album. There was Delta Sunrise and I failed you instead which both are really powerful power ballads.

But yes they are not out of the genre.
The first album just wasn't very original.
Second was a lot more.

Fuuso

Post by Fuuso » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:57 pm

I really like their music. Their keyboard player Jarmo used to work in my hometown. I'm not sure if he still is...

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Fuuso wrote:I really like their music. Their keyboard player Jarmo used to work in my hometown. I'm not sure if he still is...
You mean Jyväskylä right?
They play a lot of gigs there as it is the closest "big town"

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:10 pm

They avoid power metal cliches by using rock drums instead of power metal drums?

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:33 pm

icecab21 wrote:
They avoid power metal cliches by using rock drums instead of power metal drums?
No I meant it became more melodic and less power.
Power it is.
And Between the Lines has quite fast double bass at times.
They are not overusing it thats how I meant less cliches.

And they say themselves that Waterlines had more of their own sound as Primal Exhale was early demoes.
Only Dire Waters was written especially for the album.
Thats why it lacks the originality Waterlines had.

They prefer themselves to be called Melodic Metal yet

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:12 pm

I don't really understand you. I really don't see what is suposed to be so special about them. They're not a bad band in any case, but I don't get it. They're your standard Power Metal band. And the lack of double-bass drumming doesn't change that fact.

Chris P. Bacon

Post by Chris P. Bacon » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:18 pm

escsalion!!! why dat deys like dems frenchies eat right!! dems escalion escargots!!! i reckon i wanneda find one o dems escalators jacob's always talkin bout at sundy church down der in da city an i asked if i could try some escalatas an they gayme dem snails!! stinkin frenchman i gavem a whuppin he aint soon gonna fahget i reckon!!! you rememba wataloo!?!? i'll wata you loo right dat deys over again!! threw thems champaigns right innis face!!! dat'll teach dem city boys gi' a good southan man bugs fa dinna!!

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:33 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:I don't really understand you. I really don't see what is suposed to be so special about them. They're not a bad band in any case, but I don't get it. They're your standard Power Metal band. And the lack of double-bass drumming doesn't change that fact.
Well.
Waterlines didin't blow me away at first but slowly.
The singer is so unique and talented like all of them.

But mostly I think it is because I just am this kind of person liking things others dont.
I was just telling on Rhapsody forum that I prefer their more recent creations to their debut and they were like "the first person to say that" and "how is that possible"
I Liked AoA very much.
I just Love Sonata Arcticas Unia.
I like Dragonforce and Power Quest style metal too.
I like Elements a lot.
I like bands others consider as clones or nothing special.
I just find the "special" in those bands.

They just are very good.
Wingman for example offers incredible guitar solo and great instrumentla work throughout the song mixed with the increidble high notes by the vocalist.

I just like good music period

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:02 pm

Still don't see what is suposed to be so good. The singer isn't anything special IMO and the music too. Nothing on both albums is really outstanding. It is good but nothing special.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:15 pm

it's music, everyone will have personal favorites.

how are you supposed to see what is so special about a band when you don't think the singer is anything special and seeing the singer as something special is the reason other people see the band as special?

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:22 pm

Exactly.
one thing for sure has made me a bigger fan.
Being in conact with the band and following their carreer.
Through the hard times and now when we are about to get a newsletter about the next album everything seems so bright again.
They are just normal people and have normal lives.
This is like a hobby for them.

And for the most biggest reason I simply love their music.

Fuuso

Post by Fuuso » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:53 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote: You mean Jyväskylä right?
They play a lot of gigs there as it is the closest "big town"
Saarijärvi, actually.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:21 am

Great band, great singer. They recorded their second album at the same studio as us with the same producer, so they're kind of kindred spirits, if you will :D

I really like their songs.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:10 am

Well, as I've got older I've just found it more difficult to get into new bands and Excalion for sure got my attention. I think they sound really fresh and I know what you mean about them not being "standard power metal".... I don't think they are even power metal at all! Anyway, I don't like labels, to me it's either I like it or not... whatever the hell you wanna call it.

First song I heard by them was The Wingman and I absolutely loved the vocals, very unique. I think both albums are great. Waterlines was in my car stereo for many, many days :D

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:02 am

Babylon wrote:Well, as I've got older I've just found it more difficult to get into new bands and Excalion for sure got my attention. I think they sound really fresh and I know what you mean about them not being "standard power metal".... I don't think they are even power metal at all! Anyway, I don't like labels, to me it's either I like it or not... whatever the hell you wanna call it.

First song I heard by them was The Wingman and I absolutely loved the vocals, very unique. I think both albums are great. Waterlines was in my car stereo for many, many days :D
There you go Ragehead.
another one confirming my opinions :D

Valkyrie Lycan

Post by Valkyrie Lycan » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:05 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:There was no Topic for them and they definately deserve one so...

Excalion is a young Finnish band playing Melodic / Power Metal.
Their first album Primal Exhale was just some demos and such re-recorded but the second album Waterlines was pure metal masterpiece. They left out the power metal cliches and developed more their own sound.
In result the songs were a lot better.

They all (exept the guitarist) come from Konnevesi (even a smaller place than Lappajärvi where Kotipelto comes from)

Unfortunately for the fans the first album is no longer avaivable because of the label that released it, Sound Riot Records.
They removed their sites and contacts and stopped publishing records. They just vanished.
Now they are propably somewhere warm enjoying an early retirement.

Waterlines however was released through Limb music so it is still avaivable and easy to locate.

The band issued an update a short time ago that they will soon reveal their new label and tell more about the next album that was composed last year.
The guitarrist tells in his myspace blog that the album is ready and they will enter studio anytime soon.

I Have been listening to Waterlines a lot lately and I have to say that it is my favourite album of all times and Excalion is my definate favourite band along with Strato.

the Whole Waterlines album is avaivable on youtube by a certain user. You can find all the songs by searching with the name of the song. Just Excalion won't find the songs.

My favourite songs are Soaking Ground, Losing time and the Wingman.
But really any song they have made is good.
The early stuff from the first album is good too if you find some of it somewhere but it just takes more time to grow.

At the moment I have a feeling that this topic won't get much response but this band really would deserve a lot more attention than it gets.

I hope things will go better in the future.

I actually have got their first album "Primal Exhale" and absolutly loved it. The band definatly deserves some attention. Finland has produced some awesome Metal bands and Exalion is definatly a band to watch out for, there is a lot of room for growth. If you like Exalion then you might also want to check out two further Metal bands from finalnd: Requiem and Ghost Mashinery :) they all 3 were signed by Sound Riot records, which was the label that released "Primal Exhale" - which is how I came across those three bands - all definatly worth a listening to. and to watch out for in the future. :)

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:29 pm

I actually have got their first album "Primal Exhale" and absolutly loved it. The band definatly deserves some attention. Finland has produced some awesome Metal bands and Exalion is definatly a band to watch out for, there is a lot of room for growth. If you like Exalion then you might also want to check out two further Metal bands from finalnd: Requiem and Ghost Mashinery they all 3 were signed by Sound Riot records, which was the label that released "Primal Exhale" - which is how I came across those three bands - all definatly worth a listening to. and to watch out for in the future.
Lucky you

it is not available anymore anywhere.
Sound Riot has no emails or pages exept myspace that is hardly working and updated like five years ago.

I hate that record company for taking Primal Exhale away from me.

Dire Waters and Heart&Home are really good songs but atleats at the moment there is no way to get the record and believe me I have tried.

I asked form finnish distributor and they said well... less nice things about sound riot and told that even they don't have any.

Valkyrie Lycan

Post by Valkyrie Lycan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:38 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:
I actually have got their first album "Primal Exhale" and absolutly loved it. The band definatly deserves some attention. Finland has produced some awesome Metal bands and Exalion is definatly a band to watch out for, there is a lot of room for growth. If you like Exalion then you might also want to check out two further Metal bands from finalnd: Requiem and Ghost Mashinery they all 3 were signed by Sound Riot records, which was the label that released "Primal Exhale" - which is how I came across those three bands - all definatly worth a listening to. and to watch out for in the future.
Lucky you

it is not available anymore anywhere.
Sound Riot has no emails or pages exept myspace that is hardly working and updated like five years ago.

I hate that record company for taking Primal Exhale away from me.

Dire Waters and Heart&Home are really good songs but atleats at the moment there is no way to get the record and believe me I have tried.

I asked form finnish distributor and they said well... less nice things about sound riot and told that even they don't have any.

I am intruiged there, because it was Sound Riot records which contacted labels, including me to offer the rights to those albums. A list was send according to labels genre's. I asked for power metal and prog metal lists. Those three bands where part of the list with the albums - however since I never heard of the bands and I was unable to find anywhere to listen to samples I asked for a sample of those three bands.

So Sound Riot did send me Primal Exhale of Exalion, two albums of Requiem and the first release of Ghost Mashinery - all of them are damn good albums.

Exalion was already resigned, so was Requiem, the rights to those albums however were still on offer. I was unable to proceed at the time, due to problems on family side, my mum was just diagnosed with terminal cancer - so that took priority.

So I restructured at the moment to stay flexible if needed, my parents live in Germany and I am in the UK, I just never persued it at this point.

But that is how I came to the album, I still got the contact though and can see if he would put remaining issues of the release up for sale with other labels - not sure, but worth a shot. I try and get back to you asap, if i get a reply though, then again I might.

Will try my best, wish they had send two copies though, as they will be in rotation of the playlist though. Also got the contact to the band, if I don't get any joy out of Sound Riot I ask the guys themselves, they might have an idea where to get it from or have a spare copy.

Nice to see someone who also appreciates young and upcoming bands and they are definatly one of them.

Valkyrie Lycan

Post by Valkyrie Lycan » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:52 am

Look what I found :

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXCALION---Primal-E ... 8003r38221

Exalion - Primal Exhale on ebay :) CD

and another outlet to buy the CD:

http://www.cmdistro.com/Review/Read/21983

http://www.bestmetalmusic.com/EXCALION- ... -5650.html

that's 3 places, on ebay two are available, so hope you can catch at least one copy. Found them after I written to Henri lolol Oh well, at least you got a good chance of getting your copy now. Ebay never fails, got my Kotipelto albums from there as I had trouble finding them anywhere else.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:07 am

Valkyrie Lycan wrote:Look what I found :

that's 3 places, on ebay two are available, so hope you can catch at least one copy. Found them after I written to Henri lolol Oh well, at least you got a good chance of getting your copy now. Ebay never fails, got my Kotipelto albums from there as I had trouble finding them anywhere else.
Well I have some few sites but I like amazon and one German online record store that have a few of them.

The propblem is I won't take the risk of paying with my credit card online.
I want to pay by cash always as I order online.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:14 am

Will try my best, wish they had send two copies though, as they will be in rotation of the playlist though. Also got the contact to the band, if I don't get any joy out of Sound Riot I ask the guys themselves, they might have an idea where to get it from or have a spare copy.
I have been in contact with the guys a lot and they don't have any idea.
They said themselves that is this going to be propably a rare collectable.

Their emails are on the official page but I usually like speaking with them public in the guestbook.
Yet it starts to feel like I'm filling it all alone.

I also looked out all Sound Riot Emails I could find.
Well nothing.

Valkyrie Lycan

Post by Valkyrie Lycan » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:24 am

mayhem-for-all wrote:

Well I have some few sites but I like amazon and one German online record store that have a few of them.

Ebay is pretty safe to order online - especially if you use paypal - the items are insured - I have never had any trouble ordering anything online. I mean Record Stores the selection is limited - so if I am really after a specific release, the only way I find them - is online, including shops abroad. Most accept paypal - depends how badly you want the album. It is available as the links show and that were results coming up within a few minutes.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:10 am

Valkyrie Lycan wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote:

Ebay is pretty safe to order online - especially if you use paypal - the items are insured - I have never had any trouble ordering anything online. I mean Record Stores the selection is limited - so if I am really after a specific release, the only way I find them - is online, including shops abroad. Most accept paypal - depends how badly you want the album. It is available as the links show and that were results coming up within a few minutes.
But with this case it is not up to me.

Valkyrie Lycan

Post by Valkyrie Lycan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:59 am

Then I don't know what to suggest. I doubt you find that album in any high street store, so online is the only way.

Can't wait for the new album, supposed to be released I think early next year :)

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:13 am

Valkyrie Lycan wrote:Then I don't know what to suggest. I doubt you find that album in any high street store, so online is the only way.

Can't wait for the new album, supposed to be released I think early next year :)
No I meant with cash.
Cash on Delivery.

Thats the only way I want to buy anything online.

Rebel_93

Post by Rebel_93 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:17 pm

Excellent band!Waterlines is prime material,i can't wait for their next album!My Favourite song from them is the wingman.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:02 pm

XCALION To Enter Studio In August - July 24, 2009
Finnish symphonic power metallers EXCALION will enter Watercastle studio in August to begin recording the follow-up to 2007's "Waterlines" for a 2010 release.

EXCALION filmed a video for the song "Wingman" in June 2007 with director Harri Pääkkönen. Watch the clip below.

"Wingman" comes off the group's latest album, "Waterlines", which came out in the U.S. on April 24, 2007 via Ryko Distribution. The follow-up to 2005's "Primal Exhale" was recorded and mixed at Watercastle studio by Arttu Sarvanne.

The band previously stated about the new CD, "The songs are very mature both musically and lyrically. The whole band has improved a lot since their debut album in 2005 and the vocals of Jarmo Paakkonen are more impressive than ever. The actual music is fully rich in the songwriting and playing; it isn't prog or power metal anymore; there are strong influences of Euro melodic metal and U.S. hard rock. We could say the band found their 'own sound' for now!"