When Moutains Fall - Like it or not?

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.

What do you think of WMF?

Love it, amazing, made me cry!
67%
Awful, I hate it, one of their worst songs!
19%
Dont really care, ya know, man...
14%

Total votes: 63

Arkash
When Moutains Fall - Like it or not?

Post by Arkash » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:08 am

Because many people seem not to like it, so I was curious to see what you would think of this song, which is for me one of their best!

Edit: shit, there was an option "Nice but too much of "Forever" in it" but it disapeared! :(
Through the storms we've wandered
Many mountains we have climbed
But all the bad times are behind
The road is free - I'm coming home

Florian

Re: When Moutains Fall - Like it or not?

Post by Florian » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:09 am

This song is annoying I think. It tries to be a Forever-like, but fails. Lauri wrote one of the best songs from the last album (Forever Is Today), but I really don't like When Mountains Fall.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:10 am

I like it when you're in love!
:luv1: :w00t:
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

NightScreamer

Post by NightScreamer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:12 am

It's ok

stonedphoenix

Post by stonedphoenix » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:43 am

It's a great song but it didn't make me cry :lol:

Eruaistaniel

Post by Eruaistaniel » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:25 am

I love the song. Music is beautiful and lyrics are really touching :)

Noxica

Post by Noxica » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:38 am

There's a lot wrong with it, but it just about gets through on its charm. Only just though.
Tin coffepots, iron coffeepots
They're no use to me
If I can't have a proper cuppa coffee from a proper copper coffeepot
I'll have a cuppa tea!

Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Post by Intiaani » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:39 am

For the third time on these forums: too soft after too much greatness that is the Emancipation Suite. Also impersonal, since it's too much of a Forever's little brother. A lousy little brother, that is, a one that won't get a job even though his mommy says he should.

Malteada

Post by Malteada » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:39 am

who has the balls to vote for the second option? D:

i think it's a good song.
i really like the entire album.
My grandmother don't let me see Chabelo.

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:32 pm

It's lamost my favourite on the new album. Really, really great song.
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

lalodrums2

Post by lalodrums2 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:35 pm

It's a good one but nothing original, I think it's a copy of "forever" there are better songs on polaris (with the new stratovarius style).

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:10 pm

stonedphoenix wrote:It's a great song but it didn't make me cry :lol:
I agree. I think it would make me cry if my relation would end.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:11 pm

Let me repeat myself again:
I hate the song. From all the songs on Polaris this is propably the worst although I still think "Winter Skies" is a bit more atrocious. This song tries very, very hard to be the next "Forever" but fails completly. The story that the song tells might be heartbreaking, bit it doesn't touch me at all. And Kotipelto's voice sounds as forced and strained as on the rest of the album. And most importantly: 1 OUT OF 4 FUCKING BALLADS/SLOW BALLADIC SONGS! Do we really need that many of those? I know this is mainly my problem since I dislike most of the Strato ballads but come on! Speed it up a little next time!

shg

Post by shg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:29 pm

Again, the difficult choices. The song is ok, but not special for me.

Comparison Forever, I do not understand at all. After all, the songs does not sound like each other! The only unifying factor is a slow tempo?

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:31 pm

They're both orchestrated ballads with a acoustic guitar and you can't deny that WMF was at least inspired by Forever.

shg

Post by shg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:36 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:They're both orchestrated ballads with a acoustic guitar and you can't deny that WMF was at least inspired by Forever.
Did you ask Lauri Porra about this?? There is plenty of ballads orchestrated with a acoustic guitar. :)

nefertari

Post by nefertari » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:22 pm

I like it a lot, this song is like an old Finnish folk-song/ballad. It would be cool if Lauri would make Finnish lyrics into it.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:36 pm

shg wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:They're both orchestrated ballads with a acoustic guitar and you can't deny that WMF was at least inspired by Forever.
Did you ask Lauri Porra about this?? There is plenty of ballads orchestrated with a acoustic guitar. :)
Listen to Forever and then listen to WMF. Don't tell my that there aren't any similaritys. Anyway, I hate WMF and I hope they NEVER EVER will take Forever out of the setlist to play this shitty ballad.

shg

Post by shg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:38 pm

nefertari wrote:I like it a lot, this song is like an old Finnish folk-song/ballad. It would be cool if Lauri would make Finnish lyrics into it.
A great idea! It would be really nice to hear it in Finnish.

shg

Post by shg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:40 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
shg wrote:
Listen to Forever and then listen to WMF. Don't tell my that there aren't any similaritys. Anyway, I hate WMF and I hope they NEVER EVER will take Forever out of the setlist to play this shitty ballad.
Calm down my friend! :)

Inventariado

Post by Inventariado » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:48 pm

Not in my fave ones.
Can't even think of comparing to Forever, even I guess it tries to go in that direction.
I love strato ballads but this one is not in my personal likeness.
Mariano

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:18 pm

It is one of their worst songs ever.

palarmux

Post by palarmux » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:02 pm

I like that song, but it's copy of forever. It will be good on album but no for tour. :)

Florian

Post by Florian » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:22 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
shg wrote:
I agree, Forever is in my opinion far better than When Mountains Fall.

LauriPorra

Post by LauriPorra » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:53 pm

Ragehead91 wrote: Anyway, I hate WMF and I hope they NEVER EVER will take Forever out of the setlist to play this shitty ballad.
Sorry dude, i didn´t mean to spoil the album for you :(

I didn´t really knowingly set out to write a Forever knockoff when i wrote that song, it was just a song that was in my head. Naturally i understand that people want to compare it to Forever, i guess that is the fate of every single ballad that Strato will ever put out as it is such a great masterpiece. It is definately one of my all time favourites. The lyrics in WMF are somewhat in paraller to the song Forever is today, but from a different perspective.

We all are influenced by everything we hear, these influences come out in our music. Sometimes knowingly most times we don´t even know it when we write it.

btw. are you familiar with the chorus of this song (starts around 1:03) from the 70´s. Finnish version of it by Taiska called "Moi moi vaan" was quite popular in finland...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GEk0xO2u1YA&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GEk0xO2u1YA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

We are all influenced by something.

Gilles

Post by Gilles » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:58 pm

This song is one of my favorite..

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:19 am

The lyrics in WMF are somewhat in paraller to the song Forever is today, but from a different perspective.
Well, I dont even see how. WMF is a heartbreaking love story and (but that's personel), the first song I ever cried on, and Forever is more like a Freedom cry (didnt use "Call", that would have looked like another great power metal band), Forever makes me dream of wildlands, freedom, nature...so even in the lyrics, there are no really parrallel, but, well, cant really go against the words of Lauri... :D

Edit: Shame on me, I read to fast, Lauri was talking about Forever is Today and I jumped on Forever, well, we were talking about it, but, sorry...but yet, it allowed me to make a point I had in mind for a while when I see WMF always compared to Forever!
Through the storms we've wandered
Many mountains we have climbed
But all the bad times are behind
The road is free - I'm coming home

maxicura

Post by maxicura » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:15 am

It´s an amazing song, it really touched me. It didn´t make me cry, but almost. And is it like forever? I don´t think so... If anybody doesn´t like ballads just say "I don´t like ballads", don´t say that it seems "forever". :?

Aldaron

Post by Aldaron » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:13 am

maxicura wrote:It´s an amazing song, it really touched me. It didn´t make me cry, but almost. And is it like forever? I don´t think so... If anybody doesn´t like ballads just say "I don´t like ballads", don´t say that it seems "forever". :?
I like it too, though it doesn't make me cry and I'm not sensing as strong a similarity to "Forever" as some here do. It's a very pretty ballad, though not my favorite. I'm not a big fan of ballads anyway. I was more touched by "Somehow Precious" on this CD - for personal reason, I guess.
Let's Rage!

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:35 am

LauriPorra wrote:btw. are you familiar with the chorus of this song (starts around 1:03) from the 70´s. Finnish version of it by Taiska called "Moi moi vaan" was quite popular in finland...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GEk0xO2u1YA&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GEk0xO2u1YA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

We are all influenced by something.
So this is where the chorus from Forever comes from. I already thought it was familiar to me. My mother used to play this song over and over again when I was vey young!