Helloween Guitarrists

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.

Who's the best Helloween Guitarrist of all times

Kai Hansen
53%
Michael Weikath
18%
Roland Grapow
13%
Sascha Gerstner
16%

Total votes: 62

Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!
Re: Helloween Guitarrists

Post by Intiaani » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:15 pm

Well, let's take part of this discussion as well. I had to go with Weikie for a couple of reasons.

1) I don't know whether Michelle (or so Andy says anyway :E) Weikath is the best guitarist overall, but he has some awesome solos. As for a comping guitarist, that's not bad. Also, can do his job extremely well, too. Looks mainly bored live, even when tapping some extremely hard parts. That's all showmanship to me. :)

2) As a founding member the only (non-bass) guitarist who's been there all the way. Arguably the co-"founder" of power metal with Kai Hansen with songs such as Oernst of Life, Guardians and How Many Tears. Although there were power metaly songs for example on British Steel (Priest) and Balls to the Wall (Accept) already.

3) After all, he's the one who's written some all-time best songs. While especially Hansen has written a lot kick-ass material, actually way more than Weiky himself, he's never reaches the level of the song Keeper of the Seven Keys, a true masterpiece.

4) Has a lot of wider music composing ability than the rest of the guys. A really wide span from hit-quality songs such like First Time, I Can and Sole Survivor to rapid power metal anthems such as Falling Higher, All over the Nations, Born on Judgment Day (a lot of those) to the very varying "big songs" such as Revolution Now!, Nothing to Say, How Many Tears and Keeper of the Seven Keys. Also can write good ballads such as Windmill and A Tale That Wasn't Right.

Not written nearly as much material as Hansen, but I think he's, if not technically best, at least the most creative and most experienced guitarist of _Helloween_. Hansen might go ahead of him if we talked about melodic metal guitarists overally. Or I don't know, Keeper's (the song) just that good...

<EDIT>
Ralf Scheepers is a 100 times better then Kai Hansen will ever be. Kai made a big mistake when he let Scheepers go in 1994.
Still have to comment on the singer issue as well. I don't think Kai is a good singer. He's become better. In the WoJ/Guardian era he sounded awful, while we already sang Land of the Free pretty well. I think he's become even better from those days. Still, he isn't a good singer in a traditional way. BUT, his snotty voice fits Gamma Ray like a fist in the eye. His shrieks are also awesome; a death metal singer would be proud. His style is so unorthodox I think he overcomes Mr. Scheepers any day. And, speaking of Scheepers, I think he's become even better, too. While his Kiske-like heights have come down for the last ten years, he's compensated that with power and aggression. I love how his singing sounds very painful these days, like he spilled blood and lungs. I very much like that kind of Eric Adams / "Ripper" Owens style he has nowadays. Just brutal. Still goes pretty high if he has to, though. The same goes with Kai, but he's just so unique. Awesome with Gamma Ray, but not a good singer at all in a Freddy Mercury way. :)

lcecab21

Post by lcecab21 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:02 am

who are you to say ralh sheepers is good ralph sheepers is bad you like ralp sheepers i like sheep ralphers we all like what we like no point changing it discussing it there is no purpose no meaning you just like music just makes people happy you like and i like and comparisons are stupid and we should stop

why should we stop?
what should we stop?
why are we here?
why should we drink beer?
to what should we adhere?

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:33 am

You lost me after "who"
metal feeds the beast

AAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAA » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:23 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Who here has the energy to argue with a clueless Neanderthal?? :(

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:30 pm

Intiaani wrote:3) After all, he's the one who's written some all-time best songs. While especially Hansen has written a lot kick-ass material, actually way more than Weiky himself, he's never reaches the level of the song Keeper of the Seven Keys, a true masterpiece.
I totally agree there. It's hard for me to pick a favorite Helloween song, but it's probably between Keeper Of The Seven Keys and King For 1000 Years.

Florian

Post by Florian » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:35 pm

My favorite Helloween song is Halloween, after it's I'm Alive, Save Us, March Of Time, I Want Out, Twilight Of The Gods, Ride The Sky... So at least my 7 favorite songs are written by Kai.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:36 am

Every album has a ton of songs I like, the only exception being chameleon, I think I only like about 5 songs on that whole album.
metal feeds the beast

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:43 am

Chameleon I don't like at all...Well...that isn't completly true...I always thought "When the Sinner" and "Windmill" were nice songs...kill me...

Mehida

Post by Mehida » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:41 am

My favourite tracks from Chamaleon are: Giants, Crazy Cat, Music, Windmill, Longing and I Believe (try to listen to it while reading the lyrics, it gives you some inner strenght, no matter if you believe in anything or not).
So (to my taste) 6 songs out of 12, not that bad, but still far from perfection.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:58 pm

Chameleon was good but just way too experimental, plus you can tell from the video of that album that Weikath,Grapow and Grosskopf clearly are not enjoying themselves.
metal feeds the beast

Florian

Post by Florian » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:19 pm

From Chameleon, I like Giants, I Believe and another song but I don't know anymore...

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:24 pm

I thought the song First time was hilarious
metal feeds the beast

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:38 pm

First Time is weird.

And please, how can you tell that they were not enjoying themselves? I know the tour promoting the album was a disaster and there were tensions and that there were 2 groups. Weikath and Grapow on the one side, Kiske and Ingo on the other and Markus in the Middle who tried to keep the band together. But I don't think you can tell that they were not enjoying themselves just by listening to the music.

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:27 am

I think there are only two Helloween songs I don't like at all, both of them from Chameleon: Music and Revolution Now.

Giants, on the other hand, brilliant. BTW, here's a live version with Andi on vocals. I think it sounds great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt5nDrv7gS4

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:47 am

Wow, they did actually play songs from chameleon with Andi? I thought they never played anything from Chameleon live after Andi joined.

Post by Avatar Thief » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:39 am

Ragehead91 wrote:Wow, they did actually play songs from chameleon with Andi? I thought they never played anything from Chameleon live after Andi joined.
I remember a video that they played Giants. That is the only one I know of...

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:23 am

Ragehead:I'm talking about the video for "When the Sinner" I don't know to me it looks as if they aren't into it, but then again maybe it's just me.
metal feeds the beast

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:34 am

hiro23 wrote:Ragehead:I'm talking about the video for "When the Sinner" I don't know to me it looks as if they aren't into it, but then again maybe it's just me.
Well, I'm watching it right now. Kiske, of course, likes what he is doing. Grapow and Markus also don't seem to be bothered too much. Ingo also doesn't look like he's mad or anything. Weikath is rarely to be seen in the video but when you see him he also doesn't seem to be mad. And I think in those scenes in the court-room and with the record-lable manager they're suposed to look unhappy.

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:56 pm

o_O

I always thought they pretended Chameleon doesn't exist. It caused quite a loss of money and fans. :D

But yes, I like that album - a lot. Maybe least of the Helloween works, like everyone seems to, but still, very much. I Believe truly is a really beautiful, grandiose and strenght-giving song. :) I also like the rock-out energy in The First Time... the riff's unbelievable! Out there on the top of the mountain with the likes of Neon Knights! Another Helloween riff I think just ROCKS is Phantoms of Death, but it isn't a Chameleon song...

Also, Windmill is great, and When the Sinner, Giants, Longing, I Don't Wanna Cry No More and In the Night are all good. There are sadly a couple of those too long, too uninteresting pieces though. :(

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:37 pm

Nah Helloween aren't like Pantera in the fact that they do acknowledge their past. They may not like it but they do acknowledge it.

Where as the remaining Pantera members will still not admit to the fact that they released 4 albums as a glam metal band.
metal feeds the beast

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:52 pm

I actually like the album Power Metal. :) I also like those classic badass albums they did later. I have no problem with a band "evolving" so much, or at least changing their musical style pretty darn much.

Anyway, this is "Helloween Guitarists" topic, not necessarily about the best guitarists. So, who is the worst in your opinion? I want to answer Sascha. Did great work at Freedom Call and has played Helloween songs well overarly, but I don't like his style. He ain't metal enough somehow. :P Roland and Kai meant business, he doesn't. :( And hasn't composed anything near the level Kai or even Roland did (The Dark Ride, and of course Masterplan... and The Chance of course).

Florian

Post by Florian » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:09 am

Sascha is the one who I don't like so much. Ok, The Invisible Man is a kickass song, but I think Roland and Kai were better. That's just my point of view.

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:17 am

Intiaani wrote:Anyway, this is "Helloween Guitarists" topic, not necessarily about the best guitarists. So, who is the worst in your opinion? I want to answer Sascha. Did great work at Freedom Call and has played Helloween songs well overarly, but I don't like his style. He ain't metal enough somehow. :P Roland and Kai meant business, he doesn't. :( And hasn't composed anything near the level Kai or even Roland did (The Dark Ride, and of course Masterplan... and The Chance of course).
Well I don't know about "worst"- makes it sound like he sucks :P Different styles, I guess, but I think Sascha's pretty good live. Anyway, it all comes down to everyone's personal opinion. IMO, Helloween's never had a "worst" guitarist.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:19 am

I'm with babylon on this, it makes it sound as if Sascha sucks and Helloween should just pack it in, I'm not saying it is it just sounds that way.

Personally I think that Sascha is as good as all the guitarists they've had, I don't think they've ever had a bad member
metal feeds the beast

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:42 am

How is Sascha the worst guitarist? Have you listened to the last 3 albums? The guy is a great guitarist and a good song-writer. I don't think Helloween had a bad guitarist. Kai, Roland, Weiki and Sascha are all great.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:04 pm

I agree, I think that they all contributed different but still great songs to the band.
metal feeds the beast

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:51 pm

No, I don't think he's "bad", either. Maybe he's just too cute-guy for a metal band... or something. Someone said it somewhere on YouTube: a strawberry guitarist. :P I meant no offence, just threw in something to further wake some discussion. Of course he's as much a guitar player as those previous players are, by no means he plays badly! I just don't like his songs as much as I did like Kai's or "even" Roland's... Only that Sascha composes way more stuff than Roland ever did for the Weenies.

Off-topic from hell: sometimes I hope the city Vienna would be Wien in English, too, as the guys could go "HELLO, WIEEEEN!" at their concerts there. :evil:

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:21 pm

So basically it's more preference then anything, it's cool.
metal feeds the beast

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:49 am

Intiaani wrote:Maybe he's just too cute-guy for a metal band...
Nothing wrong with that :P

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:19 am

Look back to weikath’s pants, now that is metal!!!