The Worst Album and Song?

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Polaris
Re: The Worst Album and Song?

Post by Polaris » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:11 am

Rage1979 wrote:Fright night is the worst album
I agree, I don't like that albun, neither sounds like Stratovarius!
It seems a trash metal band

Somebody

Post by Somebody » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:56 am

Fright Night: Night Screamer (the chorus reminds me too much of Future Shock and the lyrics are quite... :roll: )
Twilight Time: Metal Frenzy (a rather boring instrumental, fortunately it's just 2 minutes long)
Dreamspace: Atlantis (a short instrumental, nothing special)
4th Dimension: Winter (I just don't care about this song)
Episode: Episode (just like Atlantis, it's ok but nothing special)
Visions: Coming Home (a basic ballad, nothing more)
Destiny: Years Go By (same reason as for Coming Home)
Infinite: Mother Gaia (it's an ok song but the ending instrumental part could have been a bit shorter)
Elements 1: A Drop in the Ocean (I agree with Intiaani on this)
Elements 2: Luminous (same reason as for Coming Home and Years Go By)
Stratovarius: Back to Madness (a quite dull song)
Polaris: Emancipation Suite 2 (same reason as for Winter)

Worst album: Fright Night (this album doesn't sound like Stratovarius)
Worst song: Full Moon (this song is creepy, fortunately it's just in the Japanese edition of Dreamspace)

Hellovarius the Simp

Post by Hellovarius the Simp » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:20 pm

Polaris
Emancipation Suites and When Mountains Fall

Time will come when you realize Fright Night is a masterpiece.
Nothing to say.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:21 pm

Hellovarius the Simple wrote: Time will come when you realize Fright Night is a masterpiece.
+1

Babylonian

Post by Babylonian » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:34 am

Fright Night: Witch-Hunt
Twilight Time: Metal Frenzy
Dreamspace: There's no bad songs.
Fourth Dimension: There's no bad songs.
Episode: There's no bad songs.
Visions: There's no bad songs.
Destiny: There's no bad songs.
Infinite: There's no bad songs.
Elements Pt. 1: There's no bad songs.
Elements Pt. 2: There's no bad songs.
Stratovarius: Fight!!!

Worst album: Stratovarius
Worst song: Fight!!!

Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Post by Intiaani » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:38 pm

I don't know if Fright Night's ever gonna be a masterpiece. It's a loved album for me as the first Strato one, and a good album overall. And it's got that spirit and will to make the record. But the songs aren't that good mostly: Fright Night loans Halloween too much - another very important track from the very important band for me - and somehow the album lacks variety. And the songs may bee too repetative, i.e. Future Shock and Night Screamer are almost similar. So, not a masterpiece, just a really good raw work from the young enthusiastic musicians, trying to find their own thing. :)

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:48 pm

Worst album: very hard question - maybe Twilight Time
Worst song: Uncertanity (the only not-Tolkki song on Episode :/), Million Light Years Away, Drop in the Ocean - I just hate them

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:18 pm

I just hate them
Hate is such a strong word and you can't just "hate" you can just dislike but for hate there is always a reason.

AAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAA » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:32 pm

:(
Some things in life are bad,
They can really make you mad,
Other things just make you swear and curse,
When you are chewing on lifes gristle,
Don't grumble,give a whistle,
And this will help things,turn out for the best.

And...always look on the bright side of life,
Always look on the light side of life.

Life's apiece of shit...

A happy song... :o : :o (from Monty Python)

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:06 am

I like nearly every song from the time TK joined the band up to now, so most of the songs I dislike are from the era of Tolkki's vocals... but 030366 is absolutely the worst song for me.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:37 am

Empathica1928 wrote:I like nearly every song from the time TK joined the band up to now, so most of the songs I dislike are from the era of Tolkki's vocals... but 030366 is absolutely the worst song for me.
This is really sad. Tolkki wrote a few of his best songs when he was doing the vocals.

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:32 am

Ragehead91 wrote:
Empathica1928 wrote:I like nearly every song from the time TK joined the band up to now, so most of the songs I dislike are from the era of Tolkki's vocals... but 030366 is absolutely the worst song for me.
This is really sad. Tolkki wrote a few of his best songs when he was doing the vocals.
Well I don't dislike all of them. I agree that a few of his best songs were written during the time of him singing, but for me at the same time there were also a lot of 'bleh' songs.

supertonic

Post by supertonic » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:25 pm

Worst Album: Fright Night

Worst Song: Thin Ice

Iou1Soul

Post by Iou1Soul » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:28 pm

Out of the ones I actually have a song I really don't like on

Visions: The Kiss of Judas (too 80s hard rock for my liking)
Elements Pt. 1: Papillon
Elements Pt. 2: Awaken the Giant
Stratovarius: Back to Madness
Polaris: Falling Star

Tjabo

Negativity

Post by Tjabo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:11 am

So much hate. So much negativity.

There are so many positive things with Strato.

But then again: After sunshine comes rain!

/Tjabo
Alla Vill Ju Se
Knugens Kuk!

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:25 pm

Iou1Soul wrote:Out of the ones I actually have a song I really don't like on

Visions: The Kiss of Judas (too 80s hard rock for my liking)
Elements Pt. 1: Papillon
Elements Pt. 2: Awaken the Giant
Stratovarius: Back to Madness
Polaris: Falling Star
Although I have a different opinion about all of these, I can still find a pattern here, and I perfectly understand. Especially Back to Madness of these is very wrong in my mind, but I can imagine this song either strikes the first time you hear it, grows on you or just is the worst song of the album because of its huge absurdness... not that Stratovarius-material. I think that's my second favorite on the s/t, only second to godly United. :)

The Kiss of Judas is hard rockish, but I still think it's got that Visions arrangement and is actually one of the most atmospheric songs on the whole album. Still, if you're more into pure metal, this might not be your song.

Papillion is a bit of a miss in my opinion, too. Whilst it is a beautiful song, it just doesn't have that certain "it" in it. Although both the boy soprano's and Kotipelto's singing performances are absolutely great.

Awaken the Giant is a a rude, roughless blast song. I experience Leave the Tribe on the next record being pretty similar. Still not my cup of tea, not nearly as great as those Alpha & Omega, Liberty, I'm Still Alive and companions. :) One of the songs in the worse half on the album. Actually for me it's pretty easy to divide the album into better and worse parts. The better songs are Liberty, Alpha & Omega, I'm Still Alive, Season of Faith's Perfection. The songs in the middle are beautiful Luminous and a great keyboard track Know the Difference (thank you Jens!). The worse are the rest, the corny I Walk to My Own Song, Dreamweaver that's never really grown on me and ballsy Awaken the Giant that just lacks certain interest whatsoever, in my mind anyway.

And Falling Star is maybe too forcefully hit-quality stuff, not traditional Stratovarius at all. A cheap, easy hitty song by Lauri with a hook that works. Shame on you, Lauri. :twisted:

So yeah, I kinda can see where're you going to. :D

What I'd really like to know are the opinions of the band members themselves. What they feel are Stratovarius' best and worst songs. I'm not asking for any argumentation, just opinions. Music should be rated with what your heart says anyway. :)
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:26 pm

How is Kiss of Judas Hard-rockish? Someone please explain that one to me cause I don't get it.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:22 pm

I don't get falling star as being a hit, if we are starting a list. It’s not a song the band has been promoting at all or one that has fans jumping up and down for it.

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:44 pm

I didn't state Falling Star is a hit, it just has that traditional "hit song feel" in it. :P It's not a hit since it isn't promoted or even performed as far as I know.

The Kiss of Judas is a rock song by its time signature. I really can't give many reasons since I haven't ever studied musical theory - I wish I was - but it just is hard rock below its symphonic covering, I dunno exactly why. ;_; Rhytm, guitars, drums, melodies. Ask those who appreciate this genre stuff more. I only think that stuffing music into boxes might narrow our views radically, but it's the established way to describe music anyway. :D

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:42 pm

i just think of hit songs as the ones we the fans pick as standouts. forever is today is a example as its the most popular song from the album, even though the band has not promoted it for some reason. i'm still not sure why they don't play any lp songs in the concerts yet lp wrote half the album.

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:21 pm

icecab21 wrote:i just think of hit songs as the ones we the fans pick as standouts. forever is today is a example as its the most popular song from the album, even though the band has not promoted it for some reason. i'm still not sure why they don't play any lp songs in the concerts yet lp wrote half the album.
True, and the better half in my opinion. :)

Saying a song has hit-quality is different than stating it's a hit. I meant Falling Star sounds commercial. It's a simple song on a parts deep metal album, and it's easy to swallow even by the audience who normally don't listen to Stratovarius' most demanding stuff. A bit of same goes with The Kiss of Judas, I think it's "the hit song" type of song on the album even though Black Diamond is more popular and thus more of an actual hit.

I've always found that one more comercial song on every recent Strato album. Mostly they release the most simple one on single, too, but Polaris made an exception as Higher We Go nor Falling Star was the "hit" this time (although I believe HWG was the second track on DU single).

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:38 pm

Kiss of Judas and hit song? What are you talking about? Kiss of Judas is as demanding as any other Stratovarius song.

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:01 am

Ragehead91 wrote:Kiss of Judas and hit song? What are you talking about? Kiss of Judas is as demanding as any other Stratovarius song.
Easy to swallow. No structular surprises. "Normal" lenght (like, not 00:07 or 25:13 for example). It's clear to follow. Musically. All this, of course, musically. It's more "common" type of music, the one "hit-quality", "radio friendly", "commercial" song even the usually more demanding bands want to release every now and then. Other Strato songs like that, but to even larger degree, are HHAL, Eagleheart and I Walk to My Own Song. Catchy, pretty simple. Songs for the masses. You know what I'm talking about. >< The Kiss of Judas is similar style, only with a bit more keyboard harmonies on top of it. :P And of course lyrically it goes deeper than possibly any of the aforementioned "hit" trio.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:55 pm

I agree that songs like Eagleheart, Hunting High and Low and Higher We Go are hit songs. But not Kiss of Judas. To me Black Diamond is the hit-song of the Visions album.

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:20 pm

Song I dislike most in their entire discography: Tears of Ice from Dreamspace.

Yeah, and as for Fright Night, I disagree with alot of people, I feel it''s what started them, not to mention they basically began 'power metal' with this album (well, except Helloween and some others) but you get me.

I also think Twilight Time is a flawless album.

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:31 pm

stratodan1990 wrote:
Yeah, and as for Fright Night, I disagree with alot of people, I feel it''s what started them, not to mention they basically began 'power metal' with this album (well, except Helloween and some others) but you get me.
My thoughts exactly. When I can pretty easily say it's the worst album on Stratovarius' discography in general, I still like it. A lot. It's their first album, and they were only searching for their style. That's a pretty good first album if you ask me, a lot of balls and attitude. And about the first pretty familiar power metal album outside Germany, yes. :P That's definitely their Walls of Jericho or Heavy Metal Breakdown right there.

Still, there are times that when I listen to it, it feel the best Strato album at that time. Pretty much every Stratovarius album has that ability to become the best for the time I'm listening to it. If I know wanted to listen to Destiny, or Stratovarius, it would be THE music at that very hour or so. :D