Show me your picture (Geography Edition)

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Stealth
Show me your picture (Geography Edition)

Post by Stealth » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:30 am

I love photography, especially when it comes to pictures of cities, towns, and landscapes. The purpose of this topic is to post pictures of your travels, your hometown, etc. So far I have not taken any photography courses, although I would really like to (all I need is money :D). Still, my old Sony DSC-S60 has done a very good job so far (compared to other cameras in the same category), but I want to switch to DSLR, so I will buy a Nikon D60 as soon as I get the chance (maybe never?!? :shock:). Oh well, my hope remains intact...
Here are some guidelines for this topic. I'm not trying to be a jerk by imposing rules (which I can't enforce anyways) but the guidelines should help keep this topic organized and at least somewhat interesting:

- Try not to post close-ups of flowers or things like that. Instead, show us a full landscape, a street scene, etc. The idea is to see new places, not close-ups of yellow flowers that don't say much about the surroundings.
- PLEASE don't post pics where people (you or anyone else) are the main subject. That's what the other "show me your picture" topic is for.
- The ideal size is 1024 x 768 pixels (neither too small nor too big), unless you post panoramic pics, which would probably be bigger. Please try to avoid pics that are smaller than 800 x 600.
- Avoid pics of very crappy quality.
- Following an unofficial rule used in many threads at the SkyscraperCity Forum (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/index.php), it would be good not to post more than three pics per member per day, in order to keep things interesting (in fact, members of SkyscraperCity usually agree to post only one pic per day, but for this forum, three would be better :)).
- Please include the name of the place above the pictures.

Yes I know, too many guidelines, but trust me, from my experience in the other forum, things work better this way. I wouldn't want to see low quality, thumbnail-sized pics of a doorknob...

Ok, enough about that. Let the fun begin! :).

I took the following pics during my visit to Argentina in November and December of last year (remember, it was springtime there).

San Martín de los Andes - Province of Neuquén - Argentina

Lake Nahuel Huapi as seen from Villa Tacul - Province of Río Negro - Argentina

Road of the Seven Lakes - Province of Neuquén - Argentina

If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

NeonVomit

Re: Show me your picture (Geography Edition)

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:02 am

Fira, Santorini on my recent trip there.

The sunset over the volcano. Obligatory cocktail glasses included.

The cliffs overlooking the beach at Exo Gialo on Santorini. Say it with me, geomorphology in action! [/geek]
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:25 am

@ NeonVomit: The first pic is great! :)

Please remember to post the location including the country. Don't take for granted that what is obvious for you will be obvious for everyone. Although I could have guessed, I didn't know for sure that Santorini was a Greek island until I looked it up.

Also, I don't want to start off on the wrong foot by complaining, but let's try to keep blurry pics to a minimum. Sorry, but better to stay on track from the beginning! :D
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

sanichi

Post by sanichi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:45 pm

The idea is great, Stealth. :) But if you're that picky concerning the quality, noone will dare to post anything :wink: :lol:

The second pic is awsome, Neonvomit, I especially like the angle of the sun together with those drinks in the front!

I took this one here a year ago in Malaysia, Kota Kinabalu Nature Reserve
(hope the quality and size are fine, I have quite a shitty slow internet connection, so photos bigger than 800x600 are a bit of a prob for me... :roll:, sorry)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:08 pm

You guys photos are so exciting I am almost ashamed to post mine! :lol: I mean, once you have saw one small Southern USA city you have seen them all! :D Actually, I live 30 miles from this little city(Florence, Alabama)in a small rural town. One of many in the area. :)

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:25 pm

sanichi wrote:The idea is great, Stealth. :) But if you're that picky concerning the quality, noone will dare to post anything :wink: :lol:
I'm really not that picky. :) These pics are all great; I'm just afraid of people posting pics of terrible quality. :D
Btw, your pic is awesome! Of course the quality is perfect! Really, when I say bad quality, I mean very, VERY bad quality. :D
You are lucky to have been in Malaysia. Many years ago I have read adventure novels that took place in Malaysia (maybe you have heard of Sandokan) and ever since then I've always wanted to go to Sarawak, in Malaysian Borneo.

@ beg: You are always a mystery in this forum. We have never seen a pic of you or your town, but we are getting close. This is a stratoforum exclusive; we are seeing a city 30 miles from where you live. I think that's the closest we've gotten to seeing you! :lol: We'll have to search all of the towns around Florence in Google Maps. :D Next pic should be 15 miles from your town...

DawnIsHere

Post by DawnIsHere » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:19 pm

I love this idea!

I was in Finland in june for Sauna Open Air, and I really loved Tampere!

I took this beautiful pic in the countryside, outside the cabin I was staying:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:D

Seriously, Tamperrrrre is awesome! Now a couple of pics I took of the lake by the cabin:

Took at midnight

Same location, took at 10am.

I also had the chance to wander around some other countries, I took this pic on the sea from Oslo to Copenhagen:

And as for my own city, Lima capital of Peru, I don't have pics taken by myself at hand right now, but I can show you a couple of pics from my neighborhood Miraflores (taken from random websites):

I live about 5 blocks away from where those pics were taken :)

I'll come back later to post some other Peru pics.
Wanna travel cool & cheap? Visit <url>here</url>

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:17 am

DawnIsHere wrote:I took this beautiful pic in the countryside, outside the cabin I was staying:

Damn it!!! :lol:

Ok, I'll start posting some panoramic pics now.

Barrancas de Belgrano - City of Buenos Aires - Argentina

Villa La Angostura - Province of Neuquén - Argentina

View from Cerro Campanario in Bariloche - Province of Río Negro - Argentina

(The natural light didn't help me with this one)

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:23 am

Stunning.

From my trip to Finland, the warehouse I woke up in was in some sort of industrial slum/estate. Lovely.

Bogota, Colombia, taken from Monserrate.

Ruined temple of Zeus, in Athens. Yes, in Greece. To the best of my knowledge there is not a temple of Zeus in Athens, Georgia.

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:27 am

As there is no Buckingham Palace in London, Ontario.

Sarcasm aside, you know that Santorini was as obvious to us as Bragado is to you. :wink: Now Athens is a different story. 8)

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:54 am

I haven't had coffee yet and there was no milk for my Coco Pops. Sarcasm is my natural outlet.

Stratowarius

Post by Stratowarius » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:35 am

:lol: Neon, Neon. I will never forget the pics you showed us from the earthquake in Tampere They were great... :lol: :lol:

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:51 am

Oh you mean this?

Bonus picture - inside of a post-rave warehouse, Tampere, Finland.

Yes, it was quite an evening.

sanichi

Post by sanichi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:49 am

Stealth wrote:
DawnIsHere wrote:I took this beautiful pic in the countryside, outside the cabin I was staying:

haha, that's probably not what Stealth wanted :lol:

Thanks Stealth, Malaysia is indeed a fascinating country! I recommend staying in Kuala Lumpur a few days (impressive city!!) and then flying on to Borneo. But don't forget your umbrella, hehe, when I was there it was raining like hell for at least one hour every afternoon :wink:.
And those panorama pics you posted are truely stunning :shock:!!

DawnIsHere

Post by DawnIsHere » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:59 pm

sanichi wrote:
Stealth wrote:

haha, that's probably not what Stealth wanted :lol:

Thanks Stealth, Malaysia is indeed a fascinating country! I recommend staying in Kuala Lumpur a few days (impressive city!!) and then flying on to Borneo. But don't forget your umbrella, hehe, when I was there it was raining like hell for at least one hour every afternoon :wink:.
And those panorama pics you posted are truely stunning :shock:!!
Yeah, I know, I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist to post it when I read his rules and I actually had a close up pic of a yellow flower taken on my last trip to Tampere :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry Stealth, just teasing you :wink:

Anyway, those panoramic pics are beautiful, I've been at the same place (Cerro Campanario, Bariloche, Villa la Angostura and San Martín de los Andes in summer time) in 2003, but I had the cheapest and crappiest roll-film camera you can think of :cry: My pics look good at their 10 x 15cm size in my little album, but I scanned them and the quality is horrible, I could make them digital in a pro-lab, but I don't know where the original films are :cry:
Wanna travel cool & cheap? Visit <url>here</url>

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:37 pm

Thanks sanichi and Dawn. :)

Kuala Lumpur must be really nice, but I would like to explore Borneo, maybe hang out with the Dayaks, buy a parang as a souvenir. :D Too bad the island of Mompracem doesn't really exist. :( I would love to visit the island of Labuan though!!

I'm posting some more pics before my internet gets disconnected. I will be close to ten days with no internet at home... I don't know how I will survive! Oh well, I'm just happy I'm switching companies! :D

Halifax - Province of Nova Scotia - Canada

Quebec City - Province of Quebec - Canada

View from CN Tower - Toronto - Province of Ontario - Canada

Montreal - Province of Quebec - Canada

sanichi

Post by sanichi » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:06 pm

Hehe, buying a parang would certainly be an awsome idea, Stealth :D! I presume the island of Mompracem appears in the books you were talking about, I also haven't heard of Sandokan before, is it an author?!

This is the view from our backyard at dusk, small village nearWeiden, North of Bavaria, Germany

And this one here I took in spring 2008 in Paris, Jardin des Tuileries

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:09 pm

Very cool pictures everyone!

Here are some of Mexico City (where I'm from)

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:19 pm

And some of Guadalajara, where I live.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:09 pm

These are too small, too fukken bad. Both are taken in Barcelona, Spain. Carretera de les Aigües to be more specific.

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:04 am

I have internet again. :) The fun continues.
sanichi wrote:I presume the island of Mompracem appears in the books you were talking about, I also haven't heard of Sandokan before, is it an author?!
Yes, Mompracem is a fictional island off the coast of Malaysian Borneo, near the island of Labuan, in the province of Sarawak. Sandokan is the main character,
also nicknamed "the tiger of Malaysia". The Sandokan saga consists of 12 novels (they are not that long though). About half of them take place in Malaysia and
the other half in India. The books were written by Emilio Salgari, an Italian author who wrote LOTS of adventure novels. Just like in Alexander Dumas' adventure
novels, some of the action revolves around real historical facts and characters. In Malaysia, for example, Sandokan's main antagonist is James Brooke,
"the white rajah of Sarawak", who was a real historical figure.
There's a famous Italian TV mini-series from the late seventies where the character of
Sandokan is interpreted superbly by actor Kabir Bedi. Salgari's books are what (at least initially) got me into social and cultural anthropology. :)

The following pics are from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Salgari's second most famous saga (The Black Corsair) took place in the Dominican Republic
and surrounding Caribbean locations during the 1650's. While I was there, I imagined what it must have been like during that time, with ships passing by and
colonial towns. Too bad I didn't get to see the island of Tortuga, a historical pirate stronghold. :D

Stratowarius

Post by Stratowarius » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:28 am

NeonVomit wrote:Oh you mean this?

Bonus picture - inside of a post-rave warehouse, Tampere, Finland.

Yes, it was quite an evening.
Thank you! :)

:) It was an enchanted evening! A Bella Notte :) The Stars were twinkling! The Moon was
smiling! The Wind was whispering! The Earth was trembling!

Stratowarius

Post by Stratowarius » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:42 pm

:) I feel a bit responsible for destroying your ambition to show beautiful pics, so I like to beam up this thread, so folks can start come here with pics ,that is not from the eartquake in Tampere.

But I maintain that it was a very wonderful night even if Neons pics has another message. :cry:

warrencurrymetal

Post by warrencurrymetal » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:58 pm

These was taken on a site visit where I live here in Nebraska.

Whoops!

Me standing in the 9 mile prarie, untouched grassland of Nebraska

The city of lincoln is visible, the capitol built by Goodhue, Bertram

This deer has seen better days.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:30 pm

warrencurrymetal wrote: Image
Someone should tell Mr. Tolkki to lay off the deer :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :)
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

AAAAAAAAAA 2.0

Post by AAAAAAAAAA 2.0 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:07 pm

NeverendingAbyss wrote:
warrencurrymetal wrote: Image
Someone should tell Mr. Tolkki to lay off the deer :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :)
YOU STOLE MY JOKE!!! :x :x :x

sanichi

Post by sanichi » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:37 am

Stealth wrote:I have internet again. :) The fun continues.
sanichi wrote:I presume the island of Mompracem appears in the books you were talking about, I also haven't heard of Sandokan before, is it an author?!
Yes, Mompracem is a fictional island off the coast of Malaysian Borneo, near the island of Labuan, in the province of Sarawak. Sandokan is the main character,
also nicknamed "the tiger of Malaysia". The Sandokan saga consists of 12 novels (they are not that long though). About half of them take place in Malaysia and
the other half in India. The books were written by Emilio Salgari, an Italian author who wrote LOTS of adventure novels. Just like in Alexander Dumas' adventure
novels, some of the action revolves around real historical facts and characters. In Malaysia, for example, Sandokan's main antagonist is James Brooke,
"the white rajah of Sarawak", who was a real historical figure.
There's a famous Italian TV mini-series from the late seventies where the character of
Sandokan is interpreted superbly by actor Kabir Bedi. Salgari's books are what (at least initially) got me into social and cultural anthropology. :)
Well then, I'll keep my fingers crossed and with a bit of luck you'll get to see Malaysia in no time :)

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:24 am

sanichi wrote:Well then, I'll keep my fingers crossed and with a bit of luck you'll get to see Malaysia in no time :)
Thanks for the wishes. If only it were that easy (by easy I mean cheap :lol: ). Who knows, maybe in the distant future. :)
Stratowarius wrote: :) I feel a bit responsible for destroying your ambition to show beautiful pics, so I like to beam up this thread, so folks can start come here with pics ,that is not from the eartquake in Tampere.
No worries. :) I gave up on this thread. Maybe it was naive of me to think that it would be possible to stay on topic. And NO, the sizes were not a problem! :)
The idea was to post pics of landscapes (urban and non-urban) taken by stratoforum
users
as opposed to pics found elsewhere on the internet (e.g. google, tourism sites, etc.). And things like carcasses hardly qualify as landscapes,
but hey, feel free to post whatever you want.
Oh well, better luck next time.

sanichi

Post by sanichi » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 am

Stealth wrote:
sanichi wrote:Well then, I'll keep my fingers crossed and with a bit of luck you'll get to see Malaysia in no time :)
Thanks for the wishes. If only it were that easy (by easy I mean cheap :lol: ). Who knows, maybe in the distant future. :)
Yeah, well, that was my problem also, I've been starting to save money about one year before I left and if my parents hadn't paid the flight I couldn't have afforded to go there. Anyway, I'm pretty sure you'll get there one day, wishes like that are to be accomplished! :)
Stealth wrote:
Stratowarius wrote: :) I feel a bit responsible for destroying your ambition to show beautiful pics, so I like to beam up this thread, so folks can start come here with pics ,that is not from the eartquake in Tampere.
No worries. :) I gave up on this thread. Maybe it was naive of me to think that it would be possible to stay on topic. And NO, the sizes were not a problem! :)
The idea was to post pics of landscapes (urban and non-urban) taken by stratoforum
users
as opposed to pics found elsewhere on the internet (e.g. google, tourism sites, etc.). And things like carcasses hardly qualify as landscapes,
but hey, feel free to post whatever you want.
Oh well, better luck next time.
Don't give up that easily on your "geographie - thread- ideals" :lol:

sanichi

Post by sanichi » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Well, I thought I might revive this topic :)

So, this is the first snow around here, not that much yet, but looks like it'll keep on snowing over the weekend.