Gonna See Stratovarius for the Third Time - This Year Alone

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!
Gonna See Stratovarius for the Third Time - This Year Alone

Post by Intiaani » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:53 pm

Mmh. I've been pretty active Strato follower this year. I went to their Sauna Open Air gig, that little Lappeenranta show between two big Central European shows that turned out to be extra good IMO, and yesterday I bought tickets to the Pakkahuone concert here in Tampere on November 7th. As normally, I can't freaking wait! :D Also, Dreamtale is their opener. They're local very quality power metal band, and my friend and I are enthusiastic about seeing them as well.

At first I thought of making some general Strato gig topic as normally I skip these kind of one show topics myself. It might become too confusing though, but I still wanted to start this thing. :D This will be my fourth Strato gig overally, third in this year alone. :)

Still, so that this won't become a basic "Wow, have fun dude!" topic, you could also tell something of your Strato concert life or concert life in general - do you have such? Have you seen Stratovarius live and how many times? What are your coolest and least cool gig experiences? Etc.

My dream came true in Tuska Open Air 2007 when I saw Stratovarius live after being five years very much into their music. :) That's about my best experience (although Blind Guardian was awesome in the same Tuska festival too, Helloween and Gamma Ray were awesome, and Heaven & Hell were great this year - Dio is still just unbelievable!).

My least cool experience is from this year's Sauna. I was watching a young Finnish, dunno, melodeath metal group Tracedawn... it was horrible. They couldn't contact the small crowd there at all (even though they tried), their performance was bad, and the drummer even didn't hit his cymbal a few times. :( I was ashamed for the band. :)

Here's something. Feel free to write anything you want about going to gigs. Mostly I'm interested in your Stratovarius moments. At this point some surprises like Hold on to Your Dream and Visions, when I heard it the first time live, have blown me away. There's Destiny left to experience still, my first ever Strato song... :( I hope we'll hear it after a month! ^_^ But, what of you? Have has the tour greeted you? :)
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

raattori

Re: Gonna See Stratovarius for the Third Time - This Year Alone

Post by raattori » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:44 pm

I also bought the tickets for the show in Tampere.

Ive seen strato for like 10 times in Finland. My first Strato-gig was also in Pakkahuone 24.3.2000. I still have the ticket in my drawer, its been lying there from since :D. Support on that gig was Tunnelforce. Actually there was 2 supports but i cant recall the name of the first one. That gig was mindblowing as i remember it. They played the whole Infinite album in the beginning minus Celestial Dream wich the played from the tape as outro if i remember this right. Ever since Ive been trying to see every show in Tampere and i think i havent missed any :)

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:04 pm

My least cool experience is from this year's Sauna. I was watching a young Finnish, dunno, melodeath metal group Tracedawn... it was horrible. They couldn't contact the small crowd there at all (even though they tried), their performance was bad, and the drummer even didn't hit his cymbal a few times. Sad I was ashamed for the band. Smile
Shit, I'm gonna see Tracedawn within two weeks, in first part of Ensiferum, alongside Metstatoll! :(

Well, my main preocupation is still Ensiferum but sad if the first part isnt that good!
Through the storms we've wandered
Many mountains we have climbed
But all the bad times are behind
The road is free - I'm coming home

foerg

Post by foerg » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:08 pm

cool! same plan here... saw them at the wacken rocks, planning to go to bochum and munich in january! ok, not really three times this year, but within a year (and hopefully more to come!)

other great gigs were:

- at the very first balingen bang your head
- on my birthday in munich in 1999 (shown briefly on infinite visions)
- few years later at bang your head
- tour with sonata arctica and rhapsody (great!)
- wacken open air (with timos accident)
- tour with thunderstone and symphony x
- wacken without accident
- tour with hammerfall

(don´t know if thats the right order...)

Infinitestrato

awesome

Post by Infinitestrato » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:19 pm

Well i wasn't so lucky like you guys, Strato didn't come to NA till 2005 =( so i saw them there during the 'Monster Metal Madness North America 05', then they came back in 06 with the 'Tour of the Americas 06' in which they played only classics! (Visions, Legions, The Abyss...,Hunting...Black Diamond...ya know the classics!) and recently i saw them on 19/09/09 with the 'Polaris 09 Tour'...so only 3 times here but they were all awesome!
-.-

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:55 pm

Havent seen them yet so far, I'm gonna see them in January here in France.

Havent been to many concerts, actually, but all starts this year.

So far, my best concert is a famous, here in France at least, French grindcore band with completly crazy lyrics such as "I collect living dukes"...called Ultra Vomit.
Through the storms we've wandered
Many mountains we have climbed
But all the bad times are behind
The road is free - I'm coming home

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:40 pm

Luckily I can finally look into Metsatoll as my friend loaned me their Hiiekoda album. :D I hope though that Tracedawn have improved and/or have a better show this time. And I so envy you guys who have seen Strato like 10 times and heard Infinite live and seen them with Thunderstone and whatnot. :(

Great experiences! Moar! Let them all cum here! :E

Well, yeah, and HammerFall was great this year, I have to admit. ^^ After a first couple of pretty disappointing times, I've also really grown liking their new album as well!

Gossimoto

Re: Gonna See Stratovarius for the Third Time - This Year Al

Post by Gossimoto » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:48 pm

Intiaani wrote:Dreamtale is their opener. They're local very quality power metal band, and my friend and I are enthusiastic about seeing them as well.
The Stratovarius show on 9/16 in NYC was my first Strato show but certainly not the last if they come back. I'll see them everytime they are in the NYC area. I'm sort of new to this kind of metal (listening for about a year).

Tomorrow I will be at the Dragonforce/SA show at the Fillmore here in NYC. I'm excited.

Dragonforce was the band that actually got me into this kind of music. I honestly never knew it existed since we don't get much exposure here in the US. About a year ago I got on Pandora which finds music similar to any bands you might input into their system and after inputting Dragonforce they threw some Stratovarius and other bands at me and I've been hooked like crack ever since.

Dreamtale has this really awesome song called Dreamland. If you get to hear that in concert I envy you. :)

Oceansoul324

Post by Oceansoul324 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:59 pm

Well the one in Montreal (Sept 20th) was my first stratovarius show (Only really got into metal in 2004/2005, and even then, not that many bands). My first actal metal concert was when Kamelot came in 2006, and I've been hooked since :P.

Have fun dude ;), and everyone else that's going. How was Heaven and Hell? (They didn't come to my neck of the woods yet. :()

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:42 am

First ever was my Cleveland show. Stratovarius was the first metal band, but certainly not the first metal concert (CoB/In Flames was the first, then Alice Cooper, Dream Theater, and Cooper again)

Tero-75

Post by Tero-75 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:02 pm

I've seen Stratovarius five times now, after every album since Visions (except Destiny-tour, missed the gig beacuse they chanced the day at last call). Last time I saw them in Sauna, so I've also seen both Hammerfall gigs in Finland :)
Now I have a problem with coming Stratovarius gigs.
The gig in Tampere is on Saturday, the place is familiar to me etc, and it would be about 2 hour drive per direction, tickets 25€.
However there's also a gig in my hometown Turku, but that gig is on Thursday and I'm working nightshift that day, tickets 15€.
So, which gig should I go to, or should I go to them both... :P

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:45 pm

There's one problem with Dreamtale though, and that is the line-up. It's, like, the most unstable I know from a band even that popular. I actually heard a long time ago from a musician that I know that their very talented multi-instrumentalist-playing-keyboard-there, Akseli Kaasalainen, has also left the band, although there's no mention of it in Wikipedia at least. Also, they have made four studio albums, each with different singer. :D Just look at their former members list anyway... it's huge. Too huge. :/ I wish the band well though - they can produce great music at best! I need to listen to the song Dreamtale now to remember it. ;)
Tero-75 wrote:So, which gig should I go to, or should I go to them both... :P
Both, if you want to hear the supposedly same set twice in a very short period of time. Depends... take a, whatever it's called, rokuli from work if by any means possible! :D
Oceansoul324 wrote:How was Heaven and Hell? (They didn't come to my neck of the woods yet.)

Do they still tour? I only know that Dio starts / has started a tour with his band too. Anyway, they were great! Dio was as good as humanly possible in is age. It should not surprise that Tony and Geezer were top-notch too. :D Their set was unbelievably good. All the old favorites, plus the new songs Fear, Bible Black and Follow the Tears. FtT was, like, one of the most popular songs of the gig, and so was I from Dehumanizer. Songs like that really surprised and were far more splendid live than from the album. The dream-come-true for me was of course that Heaven and Hell spectacle, lasting almost half an hour. It was just unblievable! My arm hair muscles were greatly strenghtened with constant goose bumps caused by that song. :D Basicly the same set as on the DVD but no new songs from The Dio Years and three songs from The Devil You Know. No Sign of the Southern Cross whatsoever. :(

Gossimoro, I never found melodic metal from the airwaves, either. I just... accidentally bumped at it (Stratovarius). People should search and find good music anyway if they're not satisfied with popular supply, now that it's possible via internet. As for me, though, this has lead to oversupply - "I SHOULD buy their album and actually listen to it some months / years later when I'll have time for it".

<E> You were right about Dreamtale. O_O A short song, but epic and great! I didn't remember it though - it seems the album Beyond Reality is so good all-round that separate good songs don't even step out of the outstanding mass. :P

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:14 pm

I have two Dreamtale albums, Beyond Reality and Ocean's Heart. I haven't given either of them many listens, but I LOVE the songs Memories of Time, Fallen Star, Dreamland, and the intro that leads into Memories of Time. Great music.

foerg

Post by foerg » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:37 pm

Tero-75 wrote: So, which gig should I go to, or should I go to them both... :P
Sure both of them! :wink:

Seppänen

Post by Seppänen » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:31 am

Intiaani wrote:I actually heard a long time ago from a musician that I know that their very talented multi-instrumentalist-playing-keyboard-there, Akseli Kaasalainen, has also left the band
Well that is just not true. Akseli has never left us, and as far as I know, has never even considered it. As for our lineup changes, well, shit happens! :P Personally, I think it's good that people, who aren't interested in the band's music and its welfare, leave the band. In any case, see you in Pakkahuone, Tampere.

Erkki Seppänen, vocalist of Dreamtale (since 2007)

Axl

Post by Axl » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Intiaani wrote:I actually heard a long time ago from a musician that I know that their very talented multi-instrumentalist-playing-keyboard-there, Akseli Kaasalainen, has also left the band, although there's no mention of it in Wikipedia at least.

I don't really know who have told you so, but it ain't true. As Erkki told you I have never even considered it.

Akseli Kaasalainen,
keyboard player of Dreamtale (2006-)

Gossimoto

Post by Gossimoto » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:41 pm

Axl wrote:I don't really know who have told you so, but it ain't true. As Erkki told you I have never even considered it.

Akseli Kaasalainen,
Posts from the band members are excellent. Thanks for the clarification.

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:39 pm

Oh cripes dudes! :D Well, it's good we got this rumor out of the way once and for all...
Axl wrote:I don't really know who have told you so, but it ain't true. As Erkki told you I have never even considered it.

Akseli Kaasalainen,
I can PM you the name if you wish though. I don't want to spread it on the forum. Not that anyone would know the guy anyway as I'm not sure if he's even that much of a musician... enthusiastic anyway. :P

Looking forward seeing you guys live! It will be awesome! 8)

Axl

Post by Axl » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:33 pm

Yeah. I think this line-up won't break for a while :p
Here is some samples from our new promo demo "Angel of Light":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCiWHUiXOP0

Gossimoto

Post by Gossimoto » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:57 pm

I need to move to Finland for the awesome metal shows.

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:14 am

So I guess we can hear the song Angel of Light live then? ^^ At least I hope so because, according to that sample alone, those songs were very great! I've thought Dreamtale has been a downhill band after their first album. Or not actually a downhill band because every album's as solid as its predecessor, although Beyond Reality is just the best by far. :) If you can top that one day, you surely are great!

Anxiously waiting for the show. It's only a little over a week away. :o~