Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
browneyedgirl
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:09 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:JAJAJAJAJA that movie was the scariest! Especially how JigHammer used the bowflex for sadistic purposes. :crazy2:
You mean Jigsaw? :lol:
hahaha, thats one thing the writers of Saw have not thought of: using exercise equipment to torture people. But, isnt using those things tortue enough anyway? :lol:
I guess Jigsaw could have a game where a person has to do a certain number of repetitions or get decapitated, or something equally disgusting and gory. ???

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:55 pm

ET

I still remember the first time I saw this film at the cinema in 1982, I was just a child, I remember that I laughed and cried, and still after all these years I still have the same feelings when I watch ET, is a movie that always makes me laugh and cry! :)

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:45 pm

Batman - The Dark Knight
The best movie of the century, EVER!!
|StratoFan Forever|

phoenix666

Post by phoenix666 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:24 pm

well, I'll try to check "Michael Jackson's This is it" at the cinema on saturday, if it ain't too crowded.... :D

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:42 pm

"Tzar" by Lungin. Very hard movie about Ivan the Terrible and his realtions with the metropolitan Filipp. Mamonov plays in his style. Hope that this movie will be seen abroad.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:32 pm

Morgana wrote:"Tzar" by Lungin. Very hard movie about Ivan the Terrible and his realtions with the metropolitan Filipp. Mamonov plays in his style. Hope that this movie will be seen abroad.
I sure hope so too. I've been waiting to see this film ever since I heard they're making it.

Haven't seen any movies lately, but I just finished watching seasons 3 & 4 of House. My favourite show on TV without a doubt.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:42 pm

I've been watching the remake of Battlestar Galactica lately. When a friend recommended it I was really sceptical, I thought it would be some kind of cheesy Star Trek clone. How wrong I was. Really thought provoking stuff.

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:53 pm

Mormegil wrote:
Morgana wrote:"Tzar" by Lungin. Very hard movie about Ivan the Terrible and his realtions with the metropolitan Filipp. Mamonov plays in his style. Hope that this movie will be seen abroad.
I sure hope so too. I've been waiting to see this film ever since I heard they're making it.
You should see "The Island" by the same director. It's about monk's life and about their realtions in monastery. Very interesting movie.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:45 pm

Mormegil wrote:

Haven't seen any movies lately, but I just finished watching seasons 3 & 4 of House. My favourite show on TV without a doubt.
Aren't you getting bored by exactly the same story every episode? :) Hugh Laurie is the only reason I still watch this show.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:35 pm

Explain how it is the same show every episode? Explain in detail, not just some broad thing like "they look at a patient" since that’s pretty much the degree that I found the episodes alike. I would like to know how the story of the army veteran with his hand blown off is the same as the story of the dictator that gets killed by the doctors for example?

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:12 pm

icecab21 wrote:Explain how it is the same show every episode? Explain in detail, not just some broad thing like "they look at a patient" since that’s pretty much the degree that I found the episodes alike. I would like to know how the story of the army veteran with his hand blown off is the same as the story of the dictator that gets killed by the doctors for example?
I think what he talks about is the "patient with an extremely rare disease comes into the hospital, nobody knows what's going on, House and company try to figure out how to cure the patient, fail the first 2 or 3 times, then house gets a flash of genius, cures the patient, episode is over" routine. And yes, while nearly all house episode have this routine, there is a lot more going on. They always keep it interesting somehow.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:44 pm

That’s the premise of the show. Each one has a different story and there are many subplots as well.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:49 pm

icecab21 wrote:That’s the premise of the show. Each one has a different story and there are many subplots as well.
Especialy in the later episodes from Season 3 onwards.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Morgana wrote:You should see "The Island" by the same director. It's about monk's life and about their realtions in monastery. Very interesting movie.
I'll keep it in mind.
Shurik wrote:Aren't you getting bored by exactly the same story every episode? :) Hugh Laurie is the only reason I still watch this show.
Sometimes. But Hugh Laurie precisely and some really interesting characters and subplots keep me coming back to it. ;)

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:47 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
icecab21 wrote:Explain how it is the same show every episode? Explain in detail, not just some broad thing like "they look at a patient" since that’s pretty much the degree that I found the episodes alike. I would like to know how the story of the army veteran with his hand blown off is the same as the story of the dictator that gets killed by the doctors for example?
I think what he talks about is the "patient with an extremely rare disease comes into the hospital, nobody knows what's going on, House and company try to figure out how to cure the patient, fail the first 2 or 3 times, then house gets a flash of genius, cures the patient, episode is over" routine. And yes, while nearly all house episode have this routine, there is a lot more going on. They always keep it interesting somehow.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. There's no tension when you know what will happen at any moment of the episode even without spoilers.
Again, the only thing that keeps the ratings high for this show is Hugh Laurie's acting. He is a better actor than the rest of the cast combined and squared.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:24 am

Describe next 5 episodes in detail before they air from issues involved to subplots involved and if you are correct I will believe you. Describe all the who, what, why, when, and how before it happens and, ok, ill believe you. To me it seems like you are making very board generalizing and not even thinking about details. Seems like going “omg the murder mystery includes a murder, and a mystery, how predictable I better not read it”.

The point of this kind of show is to be character based and have some common themes from show to show. Its details that make the show. one knows that some things will happen, it's about the details of how they happen

What should they do to mix it up? An episode without a patient? A episode without the docters?

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:21 am

I was hoping House and Cuddy would get married, and then she could have the baby she wanys!
My fav TV show at the moment is Legend of the Seeker. The new season started tonight and it followed the books a bit closer than usual.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:24 am

icecab21 wrote:Describe next 5 episodes in detail before they air from issues involved to subplots involved and if you are correct I will believe you. Describe all the who, what, why, when, and how before it happens and, ok, ill believe you. To me it seems like you are making very board generalizing and not even thinking about details. Seems like going “omg the murder mystery includes a murder, and a mystery, how predictable I better not read it”.

The point of this kind of show is to be character based and have some common themes from show to show. Its details that make the show. one knows that some things will happen, it's about the details of how they happen

What should they do to mix it up? An episode without a patient? A episode without the docters?
Episode without a patient - they sort of did that in season 6 premier.
Episode without the doctors - that would be fun, especially if they'll get rid of Foreman and his girlfriend for good.

The subplots don't really interest me because most of characters are really really dull and therefore their antics are not that exciting. The only ones who are sort of interesting are Cuddy and Wilson. Taub was getting interesting but he left. Kutner too, but he killed himself. There was one potential doctor in season 4, the one who learned medicine from books and never actually studied anywhere, who could be interesting, but he left too.

I have seen only 2 first season 6 episodes, so some of the stuff I'll predict might've already happened or will never happen if the actors left for good. Foreteen soap opera will continue. Wilson and Cuddy will watch over House so he won't slip into Vicodin abuse. House will continue to see the psychiatrist from the season opener. Cameron/Chase will appear for a couple of minutes per episode each and will probably get into some sort of marriage problems. There will be patients with really whacky symptoms but House and Co' will cure them at the last possible moment.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:30 am

Nice to see that you are able to predict that a show will continue it's premise and follow up on storylines as well as make predictions where you have a at least a large chance of being correct since there are only a few events that can take place. There are patient deaths on house and the only other option from death is life. The only options they have with life are to leave a cliffhanger that they resolve later, move on to another patient, follow around a patient with a resolved issue, or create something that they never resolve.

What about the part of the story about what the patient has and how the interaction with the patient affects the cast?

What are some shows that are unpredictable to you?
Are you suggesting a show with?
Random premise
Randomly continuation of a storyline
Randomly have a random conclusion
Randomly jump from take to take

Maybe you could generalize again and call it all the same since its random every time

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:28 am

What are some shows that are unpredictable to you?
I don't expect the show to be completely unpredictable and just throw random stuff at me (like True Blood does, for example). I expect it to be interesting. I expect to like/hate the characters because of what they do in the show and not because I find them uninteresting and want them gone.

Dexter, for example, also has a pretty predictable basic premise - as long as the show runs, most chances he won't get caught and people who know about his little hobby usually don't survive to tell the tale. But what makes this show infinitely better than House is that most of the characters there are really strong. And it can throw unexpected stuff at you - like who is the Trinity killer in the current season.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:05 am

ill have to watch some dexter. that show premise is too cool for national broadcast.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:23 am

icecab21 wrote:ill have to watch some dexter. that show premise is too cool for national broadcast.
A couple seasons ago Dexter was aired on CBS a few times. It was a watered down version, though. ;)

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:00 pm

Have tosee it in all its glory. While I think its damm weak of someone to think "people are what they are", it would be nice of those that just want to give in to their urges to it on others that prey on the innocent. If only we could just quarantine them all and have a nice party. Sounds like a cool anti hero story with some soap twists from the summaries that I read.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:16 pm

icecab21 wrote:ill have to watch some dexter. that show premise is too cool for national broadcast.
Currently it's probably the best thing on TV. Don't try to watch any watered down version though, you'll lose half the fun, like Dexter's sister's creative uses of the word "fuck". There are also nude scenes few times per season. Surprisingly, for a show about a serial killer there's not much blood and gore, it's about the same or even less than on a regular police show like CSI and such.
While I think its damm weak of someone to think "people are what they are", it would be nice of those that just want to give in to their urges to it on others that prey on the innocent. If only we could just quarantine them all and have a nice party. Sounds like a cool anti hero story with some soap twists from the summaries that I read.
The main point of this story is that Dexter is not a hero or anti-hero. He's a deeply disturbed individual with a complete lack of emotions and feelings (at least in the beginning of the story) who has to kill something in order not to go completely insane. He kills criminals who escape justice because his father taught him to do so in order to satisfy his urges and not to end up killing random people and get caught and executed. His father left him the whole code of how to live in the world of normal people, how to pretend to be normal and not get discovered and there are few moments in the show where he questions that code.

In short - watch it.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:01 pm

As long as it has a nice amount of dark humor this should be in my top list once I watch it. I still stand by shows for the stories of each one episode character and how they relate to the cast rather than some general premise of a show, if this one can do it like house can, cool, but I can’t imagine a show like this going through all the different characters that get healed on house. House also seems more personal to me since it deals with a wider verity of people than just scum, if the summary of Dexter that I read it correct. Genre wise, Dexter is a lot more open than a hospital drama, unless they want to make house some Indiana Jones dr. I think both kinds of stories have their advantages.

sanichi

Post by sanichi » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:23 pm

District 9

Woah, this movie is just sick, imo. Maybe it's because I've missed the beginning, but I doubt it. I think the idea of this movie is not the worst, but it's the way the plot is developed and the way the main character is acting that makes it... weird.

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:24 am

Paranormal activity

If I wanted to get scared, I went to watch this with the wrong company. Kept laughing in a few scenes. Towards the end it could get scary, but it didn't. Not worth the hype for me, I guess.
Also, it had a similar feel to blair witch project, but again not as scary as that. (Maybe because I was 14 when I watched it, I'm not sure if that has anything to do)

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:36 am

-Dorothy
- American History X

GuiHunter

Post by GuiHunter » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:50 am

Hope to see 2012!!
Tolkki to Kotipelto:
- I talked with GOD and He said that I am the best in this band...
Kotipelto:
- I don't remember I said that...
( Fear No Beer !!! )

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:54 am

Shurik wrote: The main point of this story is that Dexter is not a hero or anti-hero. He's a deeply disturbed individual with a complete lack of emotions and feelings (at least in the beginning of the story) who has to kill something in order not to go completely insane.
This little guy?!?

NEVER!