Stratovarius to play Wacken, start work on new album in 2010

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
palarmux
Re: Stratovarius to play Wacken, start work on new album in 2010

Post by palarmux » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:02 am

Ragehead91 wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
life-l wrote:
Rebel wrote: Strato needs to organize their own festival ala Blind Guardian Open Air
heh... good idea, but... that's fantastic :( :roll:
If they do it in their homecountry, it would work. I think they have a bigger audience there as in any other country.
I on the other hand don't think so.
I guess they have bigger audiences in South America I guess.
This country may offer nice big shows for PM bands with an army of Fangirls (Sonata Arctica, Nightwish...) but Strato has a bit more quality fanbase (which isn't represented by this forum)

But Sonata did their own Open Air this year and filmed it for their DvD.
I have a question: Do Timo Kotipelto and other members of the band frequently appear in TV or other media in Finland? Are they considered to be a popular band by the media in Finland? Or are they seen as a mere afterthough of the 90s? A Band that had a few hits once and releases an Album every now and then? I'd like to know. When it comes to germany, the only bands that get mentioned relatively often are Scorpions, Rammstein and Oomph. I'd like to know how stratos status in the finnish media is.
Stratovarius was in end of 90' the most popular finnish band in worldwide. At those time 97-2003 Stratovarius keeped that place until Sonata arctica and Nightwish came famous. In those times stratovarius were much in media and such like that. Stratovarius's albums Episode, Visions, Destiny and infinite have sold gold in Finland. There is how popular they are. They aren't so popular anymore. Maybe because of these problems there were inside band 2004-2008

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:59 am

palarmux! But, they can rise again!!
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

palarmux

Post by palarmux » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:39 pm

RazielSR wrote:palarmux! But, they can rise again!!
Of course they will! If sun will rise, Stratovarius will too! :lol:

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:11 pm

The next album should be the confirmation and I'm sure it's gonna be fantastic and better than Polaris, and Polaris was a great album. Now the band is without pressure, without strange things happening around.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:04 pm

RazielSR wrote:The next album should be the confirmation and I'm sure it's gonna be fantastic and better than Polaris, and Polaris was a great album. Now the band is without pressure, without strange things happening around.
+1. Although it is a good album they can do it a lot better and squeeze their talent much more. Polaris is a good album I like, especially King of Nothing which is may favourite one, but it is an album of transition.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:38 pm

palarmux wrote:
After the horrible "The Days of Greys" they should kick Sonata from the throne they never deserved anyway. I can't stand Sonata Arctica. And I don't see what is supposed to be so great about that Tony Kakko fellow.

Kecos

Post by Kecos » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:49 pm

a
Last edited by Kecos on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:22 pm

Kecos wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
palarmux wrote:
After the horrible "The Days of Greys" they should kick Sonata from the throne they never deserved anyway. I can't stand Sonata Arctica. And I don't see what is supposed to be so great about that Tony Kakko fellow.
You seem to be very hostile to a lot of things and eager to ruin it for everyone else. And maybe you don't recognize what's so great about Tony Kakko, but apparently Stratovarius thinks something of him, because he's done some backing vocals on their albums. And if SA wasn't that great, why would Stratovarius hang out with them, as shown in the Tour in Progress video? :P
I'm not talking about his charakter. I don't know him in person. I'm talking about his voice. I don't get what is supposed to be so great about it. To me it just sounds very, very thin. And I don't get why they're still so highly regarded by so many fans. Yes, their first 4 Albums were okay, but in my opinion Unia just blows and The Days of Grays is just a big back of mediocrity with only one good song.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:25 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
Kecos wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
palarmux wrote:
You seem to be very hostile to a lot of things and eager to ruin it for everyone else. And maybe you don't recognize what's so great about Tony Kakko, but apparently Stratovarius thinks something of him, because he's done some backing vocals on their albums. And if SA wasn't that great, why would Stratovarius hang out with them, as shown in the Tour in Progress video? :P
I'm not talking about his charakter. I don't know him in person. I'm talking about his voice. I don't get what is supposed to be so great about it. To me it just sounds very, very thin. And I don't get why they're still so highly regarded by so many fans. Yes, their first 4 Albums were okay, but in my opinion Unia just blows and The Days of Grays is just a big back of mediocrity with only one good song.
I'll actually agree with Ragehead for once, however, I was more of a fan of the first two albums, and Unia.
I really think Jani brought a lot of aspects of the band together for them, and since I'm a fan of darker music, Unia seemed very moody, it had a very distinct tone and some great songs.
DoG just sounded like noise.

palarmux

Post by palarmux » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:25 pm

actually i agree with ragehead, but i nmy opinion unia is only good album and the newest one is really booring. I really hope strato will get more fans, because they are so great in tecnical and in music sections. :)

sheryl1

Post by sheryl1 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:13 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
palarmux wrote:
I agree! Though I don´t think that TK - I mean Tony Kakko - is an unworthy dude without talent as you do, but in my opinion Sonata Arctica is sooo much overrated band and that they do not deserve the position of "the best Finnish metal band nowadays" at all... After The Days of Grays was released, there was an article about them and Kakko was "crowned" a music genius, LOL...

I am not sure if here, at Strato forum, are many Sonata fans...but I don´t want to start a new argument, so in one breath I add that I am still kind of Sonata´s fan and that all the guys are really nice (I mean personally - I spent a day with them), but they´ve had more luck than talent :wink: If there had been no problems inside Stratovarius and the band would have continued at its killer speed, I am quite sure, SA would not became so popular...

And I hope that Stratovarius will kick their ass totally !!! :D

sheryl1

Post by sheryl1 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:25 pm

Palarmux,

If I could, I´d like to ask how it´s with the status of Nightwish nowadays in Finnland, couple of years after Tarja is out :) Are they still that "cool" as a band or her solo career music is more popular? Thanks :wink:

(I´m sorry for being kinda much off topic)

palarmux

Post by palarmux » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:19 pm

They are now in highest peak of their fame. Wikipedia says they have sold the most amount of albums worldwide for finnish band with over 7million discs sold.

You can check it from Ebglish wikipedia:

"Nightwish is Finland's most successful band with more than 7 million albums & singles sold worldwide, 1 silver award, 11 gold awards and 30 platinum awards"

I hope the stratovarius's new album will have platinium album in finland :D why not in USA :lol:

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:55 pm

sheryl1 wrote:I agree! Though I don´t think that TK - I mean Tony Kakko - is an unworthy dude without talent as you do
I've never said this. He has certain talent as a composer since most of the early Sonata Arctica stuff, aside from being Stratovarius-worship, sounds pretty good. But I don't understand what is supposed to be so great about his voice. A lot of people told me he is their favourite singer. How? To me his voice sounds just very, VERY thin. I don't think he is an undworthy dude with no talent. I just think that his voice isn' as great as everyone makes it out to be.

palarmux

Post by palarmux » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:18 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
sheryl1 wrote:I agree! Though I don´t think that TK - I mean Tony Kakko - is an unworthy dude without talent as you do
I've never said this. He has certain talent as a composer since most of the early Sonata Arctica stuff, aside from being Stratovarius-worship, sounds pretty good. But I don't understand what is supposed to be so great about his voice. A lot of people told me he is their favourite singer. How? To me his voice sounds just very, VERY thin. I don't think he is an undworthy dude with no talent. I just think that his voice isn' as great as everyone makes it out to be.
1+

sheryl1

Post by sheryl1 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:42 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
I´m sorry then... I just got the impression that you think so based on what you wrote - that you do not understand what is so great about him...
SO don´t kill me for what I wrote :roll:

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:11 pm

sheryl1 wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
I´m sorry then... I just got the impression that you think so based on what you wrote - that you do not understand what is so great about him...
SO don´t kill me for what I wrote :roll:
Okay, maybe I should've written "I don't understand what's so great about his voice" instead. Sorry.

sheryl1

Post by sheryl1 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:27 pm

to Ragehead91, I think I´m the one who didn´t get your thought, no need for you to apologize :)

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:37 pm

Maybe I'm weird, but I find DoG much more interesting that first 4 CD (except Silence) of Sonata. I can't stand their booorking fast tempo and horribly keybords and all the same-like melodies and the same structure of songs from i.e Winterheart. And now... it's quite cool. But still it's not as good as Strato :)

Kecos

Post by Kecos » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:02 am

a
Last edited by Kecos on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sheryl1

Post by sheryl1 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:57 am

Rebel wrote:Wacken shows would be too short.
Strato needs to organize their own festival ala Blind Guardian Open Air
How much time do they get for wacken show usually? Are they getting less and less or?

Because in the other topic "you have to do new dvd !!! " someone said that there were actually two wacken shows (´03 and ´07) being considered for a dvd...

Irinia

Post by Irinia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:51 pm

Oooooooh! Both Strato AND Sonata Arctica at '70,000 tons of metal"?? I wanna be there!
I am a huge fan of Sonata and I also like their latest album (after a few listens) and found their concert in Norway fantastic!
Tony Kakko's voice is my favourite alongside Timo Kotipelto, I can never chose between them because they sing so differently and have very different voices.

Great news, thanks for the update Jens!

Iou1Soul

Post by Iou1Soul » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:11 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:When it comes to germany, the only bands that get mentioned relatively often are Scorpions, Rammstein and Oomph. I'd like to know how stratos status in the finnish media is.
I imagine their status has been boosted by Kotipelto's recent reality tv thing.

Side note. Oomph! are fantastic...but judging by their chart positions, their number one time is over. But then what do I know all the way from England?

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:57 pm

Iou1Soul wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:When it comes to germany, the only bands that get mentioned relatively often are Scorpions, Rammstein and Oomph. I'd like to know how stratos status in the finnish media is.
I imagine their status has been boosted by Kotipelto's recent reality tv thing.

Side note. Oomph! are fantastic...but judging by their chart positions, their number one time is over. But then what do I know all the way from England?
While they aren't nearly as succsesful as Rammstein (even when Oomph! had thir no. 1 hit with "Augen Auf" they weren't nearly as big as Rammstein) they're still rather popular and get invited into pop-music events like the Dome everytime they have a new Album out. But yes, they aren't the new big thing anymore.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:05 am

palarmux wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
1+
+2
He is good but I never ever would announce him to be the best.

palarmux

Post by palarmux » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:54 am

Rammstein is really popular in finland. Their newest album sold platinium before it got released. And their gig in hartwall-arena sold out in 6minutes. :lol:

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:31 pm

with tony it's his tone that people like.

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:09 pm

I would love to go on the '70,000 tons of metal' Caribbean cruise :twisted:

Can't wait for the next album :D

lalodrums2

Post by lalodrums2 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:09 am

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you've got it!, you are the best band ever!!!!!

Cheers !!

Higher we goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D:D:D:D

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:31 am

Ragehad91 wrote: After the horrible "The Days of Greys"...
Deathaura is an AMAZING song ¬¬
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko