Sad Stratovarius Music Passages...

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
HinatAArcticA
Sad Stratovarius Music Passages...

Post by HinatAArcticA » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:29 am

Well, I've never seen something like this here, so came up with the idea the other day.

What passages from any Strato song do you find the most sad?

I think it's not easy to really find these, since it's not just like "Oh, Forver" or... "The Land of ice and Snow", since I don't mean only songs, but parts from songs that are not totally sad, but that have certain passages that make you feel the sadness in the music.
Some examples, and what I've found would be:

Chasing Shadows - 3:10 to 3:37
<object width="250" height="100"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BGTGeKk5AjM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BGTGeKk5AjM&hl ... 2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="250" height="100"></embed></object>

I don't know what was TT going through when he wrote this, but what I know is that such simple notes made in me a great impression... I find that part of the solo really so deep and with a sense of sadness that I find hard to describe. You might disagree with me in this one, but to me is really a very interesting little deep moment in the song. I hope that Return to Dreamspace... if it ever happens, has more like these passages.

Back to Madness - 2:31 to 3:30
<object width="250" height="100"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e9AuKN85M7c&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e9AuKN85M7c&hl ... 2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="250" height="100"></embed></object>

I think we all know REALLY well what was going on back then, but I think TT's sad feelings are expressed better than ever in that very specific part of the song. Whenever I feel deepresed or anything, I truly feel that part of the song really as a hammer. The load of sadness I find is really big and very strong. Truly defines the meaning of what song's tittle. It's just amazing to me.

Winter Skies - 2:48 to 4:00
<object width="250" height="100"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vW_orEE_VFU&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vW_orEE_VFU&hl ... 2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="250" height="100"></embed></object>

Unlike "Back to Madness", the type of sadness I feel here is not like a mad sadness, but more like a melancolic sadness. I guess Jens got inspired by winter, snow, and finnish sky itself (correct me if I'm wrong Jens o.O) But I find this (to me) to be the most emotional piano passage in a Stratovarius song. So simple, yet so deep... How can something like that happen? Only through music I think.

Well, those are just a few.
Has anybody found more from other songs I'm missing?
I'd also love to know how did it felt to play those songs (To Jens), ignoring Chasing Shadows because that was a different band, but I'd like to know If I got the right feeling for each song...

Oh, and as a bonus (has really nothing to do with the topic but...) check "Against the Wind" chorus and then listen to "Goodbye"'s minute 0:22 to 0:45 and you will find something interesting :wink:
<object width="250" height="100"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Udlw0BV_Ro&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Udlw0BV_Ro&hl ... 2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="250" height="100"></embed></object>

<object width="250" height="100"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zs_lX0Ggrao&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zs_lX0Ggrao&hl ... 2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="250" height="100"></embed></object>

Had you ever noticed that? :D

Thoughts? :)
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

palarmux

Re: Sad Stratovarius Music Passages...

Post by palarmux » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:12 pm

I konw that sounds a bit same :)

There was many songs where are sad parts, but at the moment I am just too lazy to search them... :P maybe some times... :oops:

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Regarding Stratovarius, the saddest songs for me are Forever, Lord of the wasteland and Season of change.

The saddest part for me is the final chorus of Season of change, including the music, the lyrics, the sound, the atmosphere (minute 5 to the end)
The carousel is spinning fast
better enjoy while it lasts
Every moment is like gold
you'll remember when you're old
And the meaning of this life
is to live and is to die
Make the best out of your dreams
they're the world where you are free
All the sorrow and the pain
will be washed away by rain
An eternal joy will come
it can be found by everyone
Though the end is drawing near
I'm not feeling any fear
I have found the truth inside
after all the tears I've cried
Perfection is the best word I find for this song. Well, for me Timo Tolkki is the best regarding emotions in a song. That lyrics are terribly beautiful.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:51 pm

inspired by winter, snow, and finnish sky itself (correct me if I'm wrong Jens o.O)
I am no Jens but if I recall correctly it was being homesick or home (which really I think the Piano melody represents very well)

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:55 pm

RazielSR wrote:Regarding Stratovarius, the saddest songs for me are Forever, Lord of the wasteland and Season of change.

The saddest part for me is the final chorus of Season of change, including the music, the lyrics, the sound, the atmosphere (minute 5 to the end)
The carousel is spinning fast
better enjoy while it lasts
Every moment is like gold
you'll remember when you're old
And the meaning of this life
is to live and is to die
Make the best out of your dreams
they're the world where you are free
All the sorrow and the pain
will be washed away by rain
An eternal joy will come
it can be found by everyone
Though the end is drawing near
I'm not feeling any fear
I have found the truth inside
after all the tears I've cried
Perfection is the best word I find for this song. Well, for me Timo Tolkki is the best regarding emotions in a song. That lyrics are terribly beautiful.
It took time to really fully enjoy Season of Change but it really is for me one f the most important songs even if I don't listen to it too often.

It also awakened my Philosphical thinking and now I can't get enough of studying it.

Ricardo1701

Post by Ricardo1701 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:59 pm

I just love that part in Winter Skies, I even learned to play it by ear, but I can't pass the emoction that the original song does, I need to pratice it..

Jude

Post by Jude » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:29 pm

Im a quite emotional person and thats one of the main reasons why i love to listen music so much, because it helps me to carry on when im having hard times. Stratovarius is one of those kind of bands for me that has soul and meaning in their music.

I have to agree with previous comments, for me the most saddest songs are: Chasing Shadows, Eyes Of The World, Season of Change, Mother Gaia and Back To Madness.

The saddest song of those is Back To Madness, everything in that song is just sad in a good way, lyrics work veeeery well, deep emotions from Mr. Tolkki. When im sad and i listen that song, it always gives me tear in my eye.

The ending on Season Of Change gives me goosebumps too, always. So epic.

Also Mother Gaia has to be mentioned here, i love how Kotipelto sings this particular part:

The tears of pain
I see in your eyes
How can we change for the better?

Hate and greed's getting stronger day by day
Injustice rules the world
Killing the lungs of the Earth
How far are we prepared to go?

So, here's enough things to prove the fact how amazing emotional songs and lyrics Stratovarius really has made, its not always that typical "Eagle will fly to the rainbow, and the mankind is free again" type of power-metal. If you know what i mean here. Tolkki has always amazed me with those emotional lyrics, thats one of his best abilities to me, and i will always miss this part of Strato after he left the band. Hopefully he reads this topic, so much respect to TK!

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:18 am

HinatAArcticA wrote:Winter Skies - 2:48 to 4:00

But I find this (to me) to be the most emotional piano passage in a Stratovarius song. So simple, yet so deep... How can something like that happen? Only through music I think.
Yes, that piano part is just awesome. It sounded perfect when they played that song live.

gnurt_gp

Post by gnurt_gp » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:23 am

HinatAArcticA wrote: Oh, and as a bonus (has really nothing to do with the topic but...) check "Against the Wind" chorus and then listen to "Goodbye"'s minute 0:22 to 0:45 and you will find something interesting :wink:
<object width="250" height="100"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Udlw0BV_Ro&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Udlw0BV_Ro&hl ... 2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="250" height="100"></embed></object>

<object width="250" height="100"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zs_lX0Ggrao&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zs_lX0Ggrao&hl ... 2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="250" height="100"></embed></object>

Had you ever noticed that? :D

Thoughts? :)
nice find, so that the chorus of "Against the Wind" has some similar melody to 0:22 - 0:45 of "Good Bye", is that right? :D

I have also find out that one song, in Destiny album if I don't get it wrong, has a short keyboard part similar to the beginning part of "Anthem of the World". Just listen and notice it,now I can't remember which song :oops:

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:20 am

Well I am sure we all know it but Destiny album tried to redo all the old Strato hits:

Venus in the Morning = Season of Change
S.O.S = Black Diamond
No Truning Back = Legions / Speed of Light
Destiny = Visions (Southern Cross)

And you might notice (I guess most of you have) the similarity of the Aaaawesome and Incredible solo of Night Time Eclipse to the Intro of Anthem of the World.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:07 pm

Tears of Ice is one of the saddest songs I have ever heard.

One Million Lightyears Away is also very touching, and 4000 Rainy Nights is very sad.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:27 am

mayhem-for-all wrote: I am no Jens
Thanks for the tip :roll: :roll: :roll:

Inventariado

Post by Inventariado » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:20 am

The shadow falls on me today
Oh why can't it fade into the distance?
Mariano

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:35 pm

As some of you have already said, I agree with that part of Winter Skies. One of the most beautiful passages on Polaris, and seeing it live was even better.

Lately I was thinking about this same thing, actually, and right now, my favorite is in Somehow Precious:

"I try to talk; my lips are whispering out your name
But the words all seem to disappear
All the bad things that I said will not leave me be
Once again I'm all alone in my bed"

That part has always been very powerful to me ever since I first heard it. Following it up with the powerful orchestral hits and that awesome chorus, it really gets me into the song. Very sad, very beautiful.

Skyggeboy

Post by Skyggeboy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:14 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote: I am no Jens
Thanks for the tip :roll: :roll: :roll:
And then i lolled :lol: :lol:

But seriously. Season of Change and Night Time Eclipse are one of the touching songs from Tolkki. Night Time Eclipse is so beautiful and listen the lyrics. They fit perfectly for this song. :) And I would say same about Season Of Change.

Winter Skies is very good song from Jens. Maybe best from him. Keyboard solo is sooo beatiful. I've always said that Jens is amazing composer. :twisted:

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:26 am

Comin Home always makes me cry.

Without you I am like
A ship without its sails
Calling the wind to save me

Soon I'll see the familiar door before my eyes, and you...
Then the solo, I have no words...

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:49 am

mayhem-for-all wrote:Well I am sure we all know it but Destiny album tried to redo all the old Strato hits:

S.O.S = Black Diamond

And you might notice (I guess most of you have) the similarity of the Aaaawesome and Incredible solo of Night Time Eclipse to the Intro of Anthem of the World.
Yeah, but Anthem of the World was AWESOME

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:31 pm

Rebel wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote:Well I am sure we all know it but Destiny album tried to redo all the old Strato hits:

S.O.S = Black Diamond

Yeah, but Anthem of the World was AWESOME
It sure is :D

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:56 pm

I think the sadest (and maybe most romantic) lyric ever is the final bit of "Destiny"

It's time to say goodbye
I know it will make you cry
You make your destiny
I know you'll find the way
And outside sun is bright
The things will be alright
I will be back one day to you
So please wait for me

And also the chorus of "Tears Of Ice"

Baby you should see what you did to me
now I am crying tears of ice
Baby you should feel like I felt in those days
now I am crying tears of ice
(but now I'm thinking, I guess the whole song is pretty sad :?)
|StratoFan Forever|

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:16 pm

ggonza43 wrote:I think the sadest (and maybe most romantic) lyric ever is the final bit of "Destiny"

It's time to say goodbye
I know it will make you cry
You make your destiny
I know you'll find the way
And outside sun is bright
The things will be alright
I will be back one day to you
So please wait for me
Yeah it is awesome.
Second only to Season of Change I guess...

fernandotcl

Post by fernandotcl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:03 am

I'm surprised nobody posted this yet.

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T3tErqxl9Y8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T3tErqxl9Y8&hl=pt_BR&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

2:55 - 3:45

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:54 pm

Lurdi wrote:Comin Home always makes me cry.

Without you I am like
A ship without its sails
Calling the wind to save me

Soon I'll see the familiar door before my eyes, and you...
Then the solo, I have no words...

Oh, yes, that song is so touching.
Also, Soldier's Prayer on the CVAT album is a very touching song. Sounds as if Tolkki is reliving his days in the army, perhaps?

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:40 am

My saddest strato song is probably Tears Of Ice. The music reminds of sounds like a wartime disaster of some kind.

"There we're times, when all I did was cry out your name,
and now, all I feel.. is pain"

In fact, the whole of Dreamspace is sad sounding alot of the way through - musically speaking as well as lyrics. A bit like the self titled Stratovarius, but I thought the saddest parts of that album was more to do with the lyrics than the music itself.