Server move (<7 days)

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
JensJohansson
Administrator
Server move (<7 days)

Post by JensJohansson » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:20 am

Got the text below by mail from the hosting company. So if the site or some functionality abruptly goes offline for some reason you have a possible explanation.

I don't know if I have any hard coded server paths hidden somewhere. Don't think so. We were moved once before and I think i fixed everything then. Also this will be 64-bit to 64-bit. Etc etc. (I have built myself a 64 bit microemacs already last move :) ) But you never know.

Happy midsummer everyone!

/j

This is just a note to let you know that we will be moving your account to a new server some time within the next 7 days!

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE MESSAGE as it may help you fix (or avoid) any problems that come up as a result of the move.

We have also created a wiki article that explains everything you will need to know about why we are moving you, steps you can take before the move to prevent problems and solutions on how to fix things that may break after the move:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Server_Moves

Below is a brief summary of the more common problems we're seeing after customers are moved to their new server. You can get more detailed information at the wiki article above though.

DOMAINS:

Server Paths:

Please make sure you don't have anything like "/home/.SOMETHING/username" or /mnt/local/home/username
as the path in any of your sites' scripts. Instead, it should just be "/home/username". In most cases, this path is listed somewhere in your sites configuration files. You should check all of your sites main files to make sure that the path is correct (including any plugins you may have installed).

Custom DNS:

If you run your own DNS outside of DreamHost (i.e. you're not using ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com and ns3.dreamhost.com as your domains nameservers) you'll need to update your records after your account has been moved. Once you have received the email letting you know that your account has been moved, go to the 'Manage Domains' section of your web panel and click on the 'DNS' link for your domains to see what the new IP is for that domain.

Custom PHP

If you built your own custom PHP (or php.ini), it may break from this move. This is because the old servers used a 32bit architecture and the new servers are 64bit. Unfortunately, this isn't something we can help you troubleshoot, but you'll just need to rebuild your custom php (or php.ini) again using the new servers libraries.

FTP:

If you are using your server name (server.dreamhost.com) as your FTP hostname, be sure to change that to your domain name (domain.com). The domain name will always point to the correct server in the event that it is changed again in the future. If for some reason you can't use your domain name, you can find the name of your new server under the 'Manage Account' section of your web panel.

That's it really.. and we really apologize for the abrupt nature of this move!

Thanks! The Happy DreamHost Moving Team

Carcass

Re: Server move (<7 days)

Post by Carcass » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:23 am

Happy midsummer everyone!
oooh yesss! haven't been this pissed in a while,

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:59 am

You should get dedicated servers instead of switching to a new host :roll:

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:17 pm

NeverendingAbyss wrote:You should get dedicated servers instead of switching to a new host :roll:
What do you think... we're a rock band, or the Sultan of Brunei?! :lol:

Yeah sure we should get a dedicated server.. and a maybe a couple of Ohio class Submarines ($2,000,000,000 each), and maybe a Death Star as well (estimated cost $15,602,022,489,829,821,422,840,227)

Unless the next record has the next "Stairway to Heaven" on it by chance, I suspect we'll be on a lowly shared server for a little while still. It's the same hosting company, they sometimes just move accounts between machines when they run out of spae/CPU power. Question is just.. which server are we on. They wrote a mail just now saying the move was complete and we should be on "monaco.dreamhost.com". But sometimes it still uses the old machine (slippy.dreamhost.com). Go figure!

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:28 pm

JensJohansson wrote:
NeverendingAbyss wrote:You should get dedicated servers instead of switching to a new host :roll:
What do you think... we're a rock band, or the Sultan of Brunei?! :lol:

Yeah sure we should get a dedicated server.. and a maybe a couple of Ohio class Submarines ($2,000,000,000 each), and maybe a Death Star as well (estimated cost $15,602,022,489,829,821,422,840,227)
So is that a yes, or a no on the dedicated host? :lol:

PS: What's the IP of the Stratovarius quake server again? :roll:

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:07 pm

JensJohansson wrote:Yeah sure we should get a dedicated server.. and a maybe a couple of Ohio class Submarines ($2,000,000,000 each), and maybe a Death Star as well (estimated cost $15,602,022,489,829,821,422,840,227)
Holy father of everything that is finnish in this fucked-up world!! That's a number of a price I'd never say in my entire life :lol:!
|StratoFan Forever|

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:44 am

Still, it won't be annoying as this-

(If you can make it smaller, by all means do.)

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:29 am

While we're on the topic of nerdy things...I couldn't resist sharing this one :lol:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/fzza- ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/fzza- ... en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:07 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
---...---

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:08 pm

:lol: Through SOAP! :lol:
|StratoFan Forever|

Chang

Post by Chang » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:12 pm

Chinese server not connect direct to web. I cannot access server from china until move. I new here from GUANGDONG region china. I love METAL!!! I love chinese traditional. And martial art.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:22 pm

Chang wrote:I love chinese traditional. And martial art.
With that nickname, I couldn't imagine the contrary :lol:
|StratoFan Forever|

Chang

Post by Chang » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:27 pm

ggonza43 wrote:
Chang wrote:I love chinese traditional. And martial art.
With that nickname, I couldn't imagine the contrary :lol:
not all do martial arts of course. Also gymanstics champions...but me and friend do martial arts every weekend. Very good back!

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:30 pm

Then I should better watch my back ;)
|StratoFan Forever|