Recommend Me: Amorphis

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
mayhem-for-all
Recommend Me: Amorphis

Post by mayhem-for-all » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Another recommedn me thread of the new wave.
I have really been impressed by this stuff.
I have heard a few songs of each of their albums with the new singer and I like what I am hearing.
This time around as the band has many different eras I would like you to introduce me into each one of them separately so I will know which era albums to buy first.

and as usual songs, introductions, opinnions, recommendations.

mayhem-for-all

Re: Recommend Me: Amorphis

Post by mayhem-for-all » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:59 am

:shock: nobody replied!
Come on I know most of you people know or like this stuff. Tell me something!

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:03 am

The loathed Tuonela and AM Universum are the best. Saxophone metal FTW. Elegy has it's moments. Tales from the Thousand Lakes was cool as hell way back in the way back, nowadays it sounds funny.

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Without any doubts... The best album from Amorphis is Am universe.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:44 am

Anything to add?
Any last words?

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:51 pm

Oh and one question.
What is so different about Am Universum.
It is rated with the lowest score in Metalstorm so it divides opinnions but why?

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:48 pm

The band tried to do something different. Metal fans tend to be conservative dickheads.

Babylonian

Post by Babylonian » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:12 pm

Carcass wrote:Metal fans tend to be conservative dickheads.
I don't think, that it's a bad thing at all. There is some bands/persons, who are trying to make metal music more poppy. Metal was originally alternative music and it should never be mainstream. I'm not writing about Amorphis thing, but I'm writing about metal commonly.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:34 pm

Metal, especially in Finland, is already mainstream.

Fuuso

Post by Fuuso » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:44 pm

I must say I really like Skyforger. I'm quite new to Amorphis and that was my first album by them. But I'm somewhat aware of the changes in their music throughout the years. I also think that Tales From the Thousand Lakes is an awesome album.

Babylonian

Post by Babylonian » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:01 am

Carcass wrote:Metal, especially in Finland, is already mainstream.
Afterall it's hard to say what is mainstream and what isn't mainstream. It's true that metal is more mainstream in Finland, than in the other countries. Example in Finland there was metal in Eurovision Song Contest and Kuorosota. I think, that it's not good thing for metal.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:22 am

I think it's great that metal is more presentable today. Opeth headlined Ruisrock couple of years ago, which is one of the biggest rock (not metal) festivals in Finland. That couldn't have happened when I was a teenager. I think it's fantastic that all these great bands are getting the appreciation they deserve. That satanism scare and general hysteria some years back (maybe you are too young to remember, check this out) was retarded beyond description. And boy did I get the looks the first time I grew my hair long. I'm not a teenager anymore, but I don't think parents are that paranoid about metal nowadays. At least my brother could listen to Children of Bodom at the age of 10. Had I put on a Sepultura tape at that age I would've gotten my ass whipped. Now even my father has started to appreciate some stuff by Iron maiden.

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:02 am

That's an interesting video. It would be awesome if I could understand it though. I just wish one day we'll here become a bit more open musically and stop discriminating people because of their looks or what they hear... here every person with long hair is either a druggie or a homeless guy. No exception. Metal of course is for heathens and we'll all burn in hell. I want to move to finland.
---...---

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:18 pm

well my opinnion on this is that in Finland it is not that metal would have become mainstream but mainstream has just become more metal if you know what I mean. I am just trying to say that with a few exceptions the music is still the same in here even if it was underground or not. It is the music that matters afterall and if you want to listen to metal just to raise your status you are on wrong trails.

Still the metal mainstream in Finland does not give the right image of the actual musical direction of metal. People think of the genre as a very narrow and shallow way of music for the mindless even though there is a lot of great progressive and neoclassical metal bands out there.

It is good that people are aware of the existance of the genre. Thats how there is a way for anyone who is interested to get introduced with the music unlike in some cultures where suc thing as metal music does not exist.

Babylonian

Post by Babylonian » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Carcass wrote:I think it's great that metal is more presentable today. Opeth headlined Ruisrock couple of years ago, which is one of the biggest rock (not metal) festivals in Finland. That couldn't have happened when I was a teenager. I think it's fantastic that all these great bands are getting the appreciation they deserve. That satanism scare and general hysteria some years back (maybe you are too young to remember, check this out) was retarded beyond description. And boy did I get the looks the first time I grew my hair long. I'm not a teenager anymore, but I don't think parents are that paranoid about metal nowadays. At least my brother could listen to Children of Bodom at the age of 10. Had I put on a Sepultura tape at that age I would've gotten my ass whipped. Now even my father has started to appreciate some stuff by Iron maiden.
That "MOT" video spreads wrong stereotypes about metal listeners. Nowadays satanists aren't majority of metal listeners (even half of Black Metal fans aren't satanists). Majority of Tuska visiters (what is Finnish metal festival) aren't satanists. That document says, that Tuska's listeners adores violence. There's lot of pacifists in metal scene. And Black Metal is not same thing, than metal commonly. Are there any Power/Melodic Metal bands, which adores Satan or violence?

Btw, that "MOT" program seems to be spreading stereostypes. They have also program, what spread stereotypes and prejudices about immigrants.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:38 pm

Back on topic:
1.How would you rate the different vocalists of Amorphis?

2.Are there some re-releases, limited editions or some other versions of the albums with bonus material I should go for.
I have tried to look for these myself but I would really like some guide.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:17 pm

Why don't you give the albums a spin yourself? Here:

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/album/A ... sum/374518

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/album/Tuonela/374522

I like the albums with Pasi Koskinen, technically speaking he's not good, but his voice fits the mood of Am Universum and Tuonela. He sucks live.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:19 pm

Babylonian wrote:Nowadays satanists aren't majority of metal listeners (even half of Black Metal fans aren't satanists).
0,01% of black metal fans are 'satanists'.

Babylonian

Post by Babylonian » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:25 pm

Carcass wrote:
Babylonian wrote:Nowadays satanists aren't majority of metal listeners (even half of Black Metal fans aren't satanists).
Yeah. I underestimated. ;)

Babylonian

Post by Babylonian » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:39 pm

Babylonian wrote:
Carcass wrote:
Yeah. I underestimated. ;)
Sorry, I meant that I overestimated, not underestimated.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:35 am

mayhem-for-all wrote: 2.Are there some re-releases, limited editions or some other versions of the albums with bonus material I should go for.
I'll re-ask.

Somebody

Post by Somebody » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:07 am

mayhem-for-all wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote: 2.Are there some re-releases, limited editions or some other versions of the albums with bonus material I should go for.
I'll re-ask.
There are reissues of the first 3 albums. The Karelian Isthmus has Privilege of Evil EP as a bonus, Tales from the Thousand Lakes has Black Winter Day EP and Elegy has a few live tracks. I'd recommend you to buy one of their albums with Tomi Joutsen first (Eclipse, Silent Waters, Skyforger).

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:46 pm

Somebody wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote:
I'll re-ask.
There are reissues of the first 3 albums. The Karelian Isthmus has Privilege of Evil EP as a bonus, Tales from the Thousand Lakes has Black Winter Day EP and Elegy has a few live tracks. I'd recommend you to buy one of their albums with Tomi Joutsen first (Eclipse, Silent Waters, Skyforger).
Thanks!

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Got Eclipse and it is great!

Somebody

Post by Somebody » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:04 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:Got Eclipse and it is great!
Nice to hear! Silent Waters and Skyforger are even better! :)