Mike Portnoy left Dream Theater!

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
RazielSR
Re: Mike Portnoy left Dream Theater!

Post by RazielSR » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:36 pm

JensJohansson wrote:
RazielSR wrote:Interview with MP about the departure
What happened seems a bit familiar for some odd reason.

I think I can sum up the general psychological interplay within a rock band with these emoticons:

:bandit: :yum: :poke: :twak: :omg: :bandit: :yuk: :bounce2: :beer: :bandit: :poke: :square: :rvd: :red: :cry: :( :pissed2: :yum: :omg: :yum: :yum:
True, it's really familiar...and sad.

What it's clear is that if somebody wants to leave, then bye bye. And if the others want to continue, is great. :)
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:46 pm

JensJohansson wrote:

I think I can sum up the general psychological interplay within a rock band with these emoticons:

:bandit: :yum: :poke: :twak: :omg: :bandit: :yuk: :bounce2: :beer: :bandit: :poke: :square: :rvd: :red: :cry: :( :pissed2: :yum: :omg: :yum: :yum:
Surprisingly, that made a lot of sense :lol: 8) Imagine if during Strato's situation if each member explained their situation using emotcons! It'd be a lot funnier than all of those "statements"

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:21 pm

JensJohansson wrote:

I see the recurrence of the emoticon ":yum:" in the described interplay. Sexual tensions between the members are that remarkable? :shock: I might just start gathering my own crew.. :)
---...---

TimoToikki

Post by TimoToikki » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:14 pm

Sometimes a split is like a divorce. There is nothing you can do...

My friend who is very close to the band, sent me a demo of their new material. Very different. Sounds like Stratovarius...almost power metal.

Anyway, Dream Theater guys will surely decide to carry on with a new name and that is best for everybody. :)

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:10 am

TimoToikki wrote:Sometimes a split is like a divorce. There is nothing you can do...

My friend who is very close to the band, sent me a demo of their new material. Very different. Sounds like Stratovarius...almost power metal.

Anyway, Dream Theater guys will surely decide to carry on with a new name and that is best for everybody. :)
Ok, I have a couple of questions that you, Mr. Tolkki might have an answer for:

-When you said, "sounds like Stratovarius" . . . are you referring to "divorced" Stratovarius or the old one?
-"Carry on with a new name"? I know what that combination of words means, but, Dream Theater with a new name just because Portnoy left? Really?

(I know, more than ONE question, but . . .)
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

TimoToikki

Post by TimoToikki » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:36 am

Equinox wrote: -When you said, "sounds like Stratovarius" . . . are you referring to "divorced" Stratovarius or the old one?
The samples I hear, like quite classic Stratovarius sound at its best. :) Totally different style. It is clear Mike Portnoy was the heart of the band, since he wrote probably 95% of the songs and most of the lyrics. If the band continues without this guy it it just for the money. The guys know better than that.

I listen to the songs from James Labrie solo albums and I do not like it. The problem with the others is they are trying too hard to write "dream theater" songs.
-"Carry on with a new name"? I know what that combination of words means, but, Dream Theater with a new name just because Portnoy left? Really?
Yes. Dream Theater always was and always will be- John Petrucci, James Labrie, Mike Portnoy, Jordan Rudess, and the other guy.

The guys will soon realize it is morally wrong to continue as Dream Theater and they will change their name and bring the saga to a peaceful end.

Hubble86

Post by Hubble86 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:05 am

All I have to say is that I didn't like your post. What is the point? Music should be uninhibited and artistically free. So you are a real asshole and quite a jerk. :x

warrencurrymetal

Post by warrencurrymetal » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:22 am

Just throw this guy behind the set. Problem solved!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/40vnWTfNot4?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/40vnWTfNot4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:24 am

Equinox wrote:
TimoToikki wrote:Sometimes a split is like a divorce. There is nothing you can do...

-When you said, "sounds like Stratovarius" . . . are you referring to "divorced" Stratovarius or the old one?

He is just a bad troll (look at his name)
Just ignore him.

Balu

Post by Balu » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:47 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:
Equinox wrote:

Just ignore him.
Actually, he isn't that bad of a troll.
Kudos!

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:37 pm

Ah! I fell for it.
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

Hubble86

Post by Hubble86 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:54 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Me too!

TimoToikki

Post by TimoToikki » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:47 am

Balu wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote:
Equinox wrote:

Just ignore him.
Actually, he isn't that bad of a troll.
Kudos!
Look around and see who are trolls :x

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:49 am

Yes. Dream Theater always was and always will be- John Petrucci, James Labrie, Mike Portnoy, Jordan Rudess, and the other guy.
and the other guy???????? hahahah oh my fucking god, if you dont know the band/history/band members/ what the hell are you doing posting"??? fuck sakes.
Dream theaters core, is, since their berklee days back in 85. Jhon Petrucci, Jhon Myung and Mike Portnoy, Then James Labrie and THENNNNN jordan rudess.

and one other thing,... mike portnoy did wrote a lot of stuff but that was Metropolis pt 2 onwards, all the other band members did wrote a lot of stuff (including the late Charlie Dominicci and Kevin Moore) so..95% of the band catalogue??? :lol: youre funny// real funny.
A9

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:53 am

This kind of things are overrated, berkleee of course.
---...---

TimoToikki

Post by TimoToikki » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:06 am

adrian9 wrote:
and the other guy???????? hahahah oh my fucking god, if you dont know the band/history/band members/ what the hell are you doing posting"???
Easy. John Myung was never an important member like Petrucci, Portnoy, Labrie, and Rudess. Bass players don't get the attention like other members.
adrian9 wrote:and one other thing,... mike portnoy did wrote a lot of stuff but that was Metropolis pt 2 onwards, all the other band members did wrote a lot of stuff (including the late Charlie Dominicci and Kevin Moore) so..95% of the band catalogue??? :lol: youre funny// real funny.
Portnoy produced albums and wrote 95% of the songs and most of the lyrics. He did let the others write some songs occasionally. In retrospect he really did this out of pity. :)

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

Post by ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:58 am

:wink: Somehow I think somebody hit the nail quite well here... :wink:

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:55 am

I thought everybody here knew that Toikki is a troll and that is just playing and having fun with the words/data that once said the real Tolkki . But I see that people like adrian9 don't know it.

Anyway, as I said in the first page, Portnoy wrote or had the idea of these songs:

"A Change of Seasons"
"The Mirror"
"New Millennium"
"Burning My Soul"
"Just Let Me Breathe"
"Raise the Knife"
"Strange Deja Vu"
"Home"
"Finally Free"
"Never Enough"
"Constant Motion"
"Honor Thy Father"
"The Best of Times"
"The Glass Prison"
"This Dying Soul"
"The Root of All Evil"
"Repentance"
"The Shattered Fortress"

The most important about Portnoy, apart from his style and that is one of the founding memberss of DT, was the support for the band. He was always into band promotion, editing dvd, deciding which song here and which there, producing with Petrucci, etc, etc. That was the most important part, and what he represents live, etc, etc. it's gonna be difficult, but now the others have more to say in the future albums. Let's wait and see. 90% of the people thinks this is gonna revitalize the band (anyway the band was selling more than ever, but that's not the most important). He wanted a break, the others no, both decisions are easy to understand. So, now he have his break and the others don't have the man that is burned out and tired of DT. The best for both parts.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:36 am

And there's a reference thread in DT forums where you can follow with details the whole thing: http://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/board ... ic=16501.0

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:08 pm

it all sounds like he will go back in a few years after he has had his break. just means a extra dream theater album and some touring inbetween

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:23 pm

icecab21 wrote:it all sounds like he will go back in a few years after he has had his break. just means a extra dream theater album and some touring inbetween
Yeah, that would be cool. But maybe, in the futre, the rest will not want that to happen...I mean, the rest could think that MP was always thinking in his own interest. But I suppose that if Portnoy says in two years that he'd like to return, the others won't say no. And they talk about it in the Q&A and the interview.
We'll see, at least they still being friends as always, that's the best.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:36 pm

RazielSR wrote:
icecab21 wrote:it all sounds like he will go back in a few years after he has had his break. just means a extra dream theater album and some touring inbetween
Yeah, that would be cool. But maybe, in the futre, the rest will not want that to happen...I mean, the rest could think that MP was always thinking in his own interest. But I suppose that if Portnoy says in two years that he'd like to return, the others won't say no. And they talk about it in the Q&A and the interview.
We'll see, at least they still being friends as always, that's the best.
Yeah I got the same impression and I hope it all plays out as I hope it does.
And the others DID say the door is open.
(I believe they did say that somewhere)

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:13 am

TimoToikki wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
and the other guy???????? hahahah oh my fucking god, if you dont know the band/history/band members/ what the hell are you doing posting"???
Easy. John Myung was never an important member like Petrucci, Portnoy, Labrie, and Rudess. Bass players don't get the attention like other members.
adrian9 wrote:and one other thing,... mike portnoy did wrote a lot of stuff but that was Metropolis pt 2 onwards, all the other band members did wrote a lot of stuff (including the late Charlie Dominicci and Kevin Moore) so..95% of the band catalogue??? :lol: youre funny// real funny.
Portnoy produced albums and wrote 95% of the songs and most of the lyrics. He did let the others write some songs occasionally. In retrospect he really did this out of pity. :)
well maybe is you that doesnt pay attention , because (as the other members of DT) Myung is a GOD at his instrument. he is very humble and shy, but that doesnt mean he is not important.

Portnoy and Petrucci produced DT albums from Metropolis pt onwards.
producers include , Kevin Shirley and David Prater

All the music of DT was always credited to the band on all his records, exceptions to this rule can be found on "Awake" where Kevin Moore wrote "Space Dye Vest" entirely.

on the Lyrics side, as I said before the most prolific songwriter is Jhon Petrucci followed by Portnoy and Kevin Moore, in fact the first album when you can find mike lyrics is on "Awake" that song "The Mirror" and guess who wrote the two singles of that record.....yes you guessed Kevin Moore (6:00 and Lie)

Last but not least, there is no point in argue with you since is clear you dont know the band and the people who "was" and is "in" the band . so stop writing no sense.
A9

TimoToikki

Post by TimoToikki » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:45 am

adrian9 wrote: Last but not least, there is no point in argue with you since is clear you dont know the band and the people who "was" and is "in" the band . so stop writing no sense.
Why so serious suddenly? :wink:
The Camelot is in smithereens...

Susie

Post by Susie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:57 pm

Adrian, te fuiste, viejo :lol:

*We''ll just have to get over it already!* :)

Let's face it, we are kids with divorced parents hahahaha ^_^*

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:02 pm

adrian9 wrote:
TimoToikki wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
well maybe is you that doesnt pay attention , because (as the other members of DT) Myung is a GOD at his instrument. he is very humble and shy, but that doesnt mean he is not important.

Portnoy and Petrucci produced DT albums from Metropolis pt onwards.
producers include , Kevin Shirley and David Prater

All the music of DT was always credited to the band on all his records, exceptions to this rule can be found on "Awake" where Kevin Moore wrote "Space Dye Vest" entirely.

on the Lyrics side, as I said before the most prolific songwriter is Jhon Petrucci followed by Portnoy and Kevin Moore, in fact the first album when you can find mike lyrics is on "Awake" that song "The Mirror" and guess who wrote the two singles of that record.....yes you guessed Kevin Moore (6:00 and Lie)

Last but not least, there is no point in argue with you since is clear you dont know the band and the people who "was" and is "in" the band . so stop writing no sense.

I love when newbies get all pissed off about the clan. This is what makes strato-forum better than any other metal forum on the internet. Deal with it

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:03 pm

I dont get pissed of too often, and in fact I rarely post to argue with somebody, but the comment of toikki was a "world trade center size shit" and was impossible for me not to write something.
from now on I gonna keep it cool.

@susie agregame en msn valeeeee :lol:
Let's face it, we are kids with divorced parents hahahaha ^_^*
no se como supiste eso pero es asi:P
A9

TimoToikki

Post by TimoToikki » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:07 am

adrian9 wrote:I dont get pissed of too often, and in fact I rarely post to argue with somebody, but the comment of toikki was a "world trade center size shit" and was impossible for me not to write something.
Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy is like Iron Maiden without Kai Hansen. They will not last two weeks.

The bottom line is that Mike Portnoy was the heart of Dream Theater and the other members can be changed like socks. It was his band. He wrote 95% of the songs and most of the lyrics. The other guys are pissing on his art by playing his extremely personal songs without him, like Space Dye Vest, Wait For Sleep, and Hollow Beers, which he wrote about his alcohol problems.

You do not know what you are talking about :)

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:45 am

TimoToikki wrote:
adrian9 wrote:I dont get pissed of too often, and in fact I rarely post to argue with somebody, but the comment of toikki was a "world trade center size shit" and was impossible for me not to write something.
Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy is like Iron Maiden without Kai Hansen. They will not last two weeks.

The bottom line is that Mike Portnoy was the heart of Dream Theater and the other members can be changed like socks. It was his band. He wrote 95% of the songs and most of the lyrics. The other guys are pissing on his art by playing his extremely personal songs without him, like Space Dye Vest, Wait For Sleep, and Hollow Beers, which he wrote about his alcohol problems.

You do not know what you are talking about :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:40 am

Hansen and Maiden! I knew it!! :x
---...---