Wikileaks bitch-slaps the world in the nuts...

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.

Are you ok with this?

Yes
65%
Go fuck yourself
35%

Total votes: 26

Just a Vampire
Re: Wikileaks bitch-slaps the world in the nuts...

Post by Just a Vampire » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:33 pm

JensJohansson wrote:
I stole a copy of die Welt yesterday in the hotel lobby in Langen so i could have something to read
So, you have stolen information :D

sorry, couldn't help my self thinking that.

Ontopic, I'm also waiting for the bank leaks. They must have a lot of really big things to cover up.

And about the diplomatic leaks, the ones I have known about are quite "light". Maybe because in my country's newspaper they have discussed the "Clinton thinks of X that....", rather than other things. I have also heard about the most relevant ones in other places and I think that those are things that we already suspected, but now we have evidence of that.

But, what I find most interesting is the way the governments have reacted. Very quietly, that's good, but I wonder what do they really think of the way the US government looks them... :roll:

------------
BTW, Jens, see you in Lund :D
"now he knows his father betrays
now his wings turns to ashes to ashes his grave"

Iron Maiden: Fligth of Icarus

György Cziffra

Post by György Cziffra » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:46 pm

I am amused by the reaction of people to this.. Come on! even we, fucking Hungarians, have more common sense than a lot of people in this forum. Use your head for god's sake! :x Hasn't it crossed your mind yet? that this whole wikileaks shit is a staged drama in order to give us, the pitiful public, some false sense of self-respect and a vague delusion of power against the supercower's government? COME ON! :x would you think that the government would be stupid enough to let some aussie piece of shit infiltrate all his embassies in the whole fucking world? just because they didn't install the last norton? maybe the HQ published what his last pets's name were on facebook? And they all would let this happen? Of course they would! They must give the dog something to chew on and about while they get to masturbate while we shake our tails.

Get over this people. We are heading to the point of no return... We need wars before it is too late, soon we will be powerless against our dictators and THEN, when your child has chips attached to his anus from birth, you will realize how stupid you were :x But it will be too late! haha! oh yes.. You'll already have a bar code on your right ass cheek that will reign your entire life.

I still have hope in mankind... don't go on me now goddamnit! :x :x

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:44 am

browneyedgirl wrote:I'm sure alot of those people who were inferred in those leaks would love to stick his feet in concrete! :lol: And dump him 20 miles out in the Atlantic, Soprano-style. :lol:
Haha that's right :D! But we have to admit that so far this guy is doing a great job, pissing off worldwide goverments and showing thei real face :)
|StratoFan Forever|

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:02 am

Last night the Wikileaks server totally crashed and the site was under denial of service attack from a so-called "zombie army". Even the service provider left wikileaks high and dry. But, I think they rerouted to another server housed in a hidden place in an underground bunker. So, its back up again, under a Finland domain name for one. .fi
Assauge is still hiding out somewhere, but his UK lawyer has talked with him, so he is still alive somewhere. :lol:

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:47 am

browneyedgirl wrote:Last night the Wikileaks server totally crashed and the site was under denial of service attack from a so-called "zombie army". Even the service provider left wikileaks high and dry.
He knew what was going to be the consequences of all, so he fled :lol:!
|StratoFan Forever|

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:41 am

ggonza43 wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:Last night the Wikileaks server totally crashed and the site was under denial of service attack from a so-called "zombie army". Even the service provider left wikileaks high and dry.
He knew what was going to be the consequences of all, so he fled :lol:!
http://wikileaks.fi
http://wikileaks.de

I think the information is no longer available openly. They are still being attacked.

bockrocker

Post by bockrocker » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:25 am

Shurik wrote:99% of what was published isn't new or particularly surprising, but it's still not OK to steal confidential documents. There's a reason why those documents are confidential ...
NeonVomit wrote:No documents were stolen.
I'm not sure if they count as "stolen", but pretty sure the act of giving them to Assange is considered criminal :) The documents were downloaded by an Army private who then uploaded them to wikileaks. The site's sole purpose is to expose secrets, and if Assange was only exposing the secrets of North Korea he would have been given the medal of honor or some shit. I appreciate the element of anarchy he has introduced into the news which, while now broadcasting for 24 hours a day instead of 1 seems to give us less information than ever.

I don't know what to think about the rape warrants. I saw Assange on several talkshows and he seemed pretty paranoid about being framed for things and taken offline and how he never slept in the same place and whatnot. If he is guilty he should certainly face justice, but the timing of these things is highly suspect. Here's a quote that made me laugh though:
Assange’s lawyers tell Aol News that prosecutors have told them he’s wanted not for rape but for “sex by surprise,” a minor crime punishable only be a fine.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:20 pm

Assange’s lawyers tell Aol News that prosecutors have told them he’s wanted not for rape but for “sex by surprise,” a minor crime punishable only be a fine.
He's wanted for surprise buttsex? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't restrain myself ...
The documents were downloaded by an Army private who then uploaded them to wikileaks.
This is the criminal part.
The wikileaks guy should've at least consulted with the authorities before allowing the whole world to read unsorted classified documents.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:54 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:http://wikileaks.fi

I think the information is no longer available openly. They are still being attacked.
It has nothing in it, it pops out the 404 message :?
|StratoFan Forever|

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:07 pm

ggonza43 wrote:

wikileaks.ch :)

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:22 pm

NeverendingAbyss wrote:wikileaks.ch :)
Still nothing, either it's my Internet or the site isn't available at all :D
|StratoFan Forever|

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:25 pm

ggonza43 wrote:

I got it last night, but not today. :(

Oh, you have to use the IP number!

http://213.251.145.96/cable/2010/02/10BAKU98.html

Where the Iran prez gets slapped! Did not see THAT on tv! :D

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:13 am

Now it's showing :). This guy is going to be "sleeping with the fish" really soon :lol:!
|StratoFan Forever|

miditek

Post by miditek » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:16 pm

Interpol apparently has an arrest warrant issued for this asshole. And a rapist is supposed to be funny? The U.S. should sent Tel Aviv a cashier's check for $250k and let the Mossad take this idiot out.

http://www.interpol.int/public/Data/Wan ... _52486.asp
Κύριε ἐλέησον

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:21 pm

miditek wrote:And a rapist is supposed to be funny?
Donno if "rapist" is the correct word.

https://www.flashback.org/sp25460248

I can't make sense of that even though I am a native Swedish speaker. Good luck to anyone if you try google translate... :lol:

And seriously, good luck to the police and prosecutors trying to figure out if / what crimes have been committed. It looks like a total mess, and i have a feeling the authorities are sometimes even more confused than the two women. Why didn't they just question him when he was in the country!?

A synopsis: It looks like he had some sort of wikileaks groupies hanging around for a few days in Sweden. He had sex with them separately, they later found out about each other. They accuse him of stuff like intentionally putting holes in a condom. Yes, you read right. Also, of not using a condom... or something. I don't know.. surprise buttsexks? It looks completely retarded. They want him tested for diseases.

So, it seems like a bit of he-said she-said. I'm a little reluctant to read conspiracy theories into everything because i know that sometimes a lot of people are just fucking idiots. The women, the cops, the prosecutor.. maybe Assange is an idiot as well, to make a perfect mix.. donno! From the text from the flashback forum, it sounds more like he should be a member of Steel Panther than running wikileaks .. :lol:

Then there was this:

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/assang ... -1.1157250

and then this

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/varlden/julian ... -1.1219325

So, if he's outside the EU they might not even arrest him based on that. Donno.
Jens.

================================
"Koskenkorva is very good."
-Ronald Reagan

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:07 pm

Before leaks came out: Case brought against him, dropped by district prosecutor for lack of evidence and credibility.

After leaks came out: Suddenly, case brought up again.

WHAT A COINCIDENCE :shock: :shock: :shock:

And they're using an army private as a scapegoat? Do any of you really believe that someone of the lowest rank in the army could be responsible for this and not maybe, oh I don't know, like someone at least around the Major rank who is actually privy to such things and (I know this is crazy, but stay with me here) leaked the info and then made it seem like someone else did to cover himself?

I know, I know, this is all super-crazy stuff I'm suggesting that no one would have ever considered and the type of thing you're used to hearing from Scientologists and alien abductees.

My whole point here is that if such sensitive information is that easy to access the world over, it really makes you think what people with sinister intentions can find out, which is far more scary than knowing what China really thinks of the current situation in Burma.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:11 pm

Shurik wrote: The wikileaks guy should've at least consulted with the authorities before allowing the whole world to read unsorted classified documents.
Yeah, because journalists always consult with authorities when they have an exclusive breaking story, right?

And besides, out of the following list of the big leaks, which do you really find surprising?

* Fears that terrorists may acquire Pakistani nuclear material (yeah, welcome to TEN YEARS AGO)
* Several Arab leaders urged attack on Iran over nuclear issue (the Arabs hating/fearing Iran? Whoever would've thought!)
* US instructs spying on key UN officials (as if no-one else does)
* China's changing relationship with North Korea (the only question here is 'what took them so long?')
* Yemen approved US strikes on militants (the only one I found vaguely unexpected)
* Personal and embarrassing comments on world leaders (Berlusconi is a buffoon and Prince Andrew is a twit. Stop press!)
* Russia is a "virtual mafia state" with widespread corruption and bribery (it would've been red hot info if there was any proof to be found of the opposite, really)
* Afghan President Hamid Karzai is "paranoid and weak" (the dude had best be on some serious meds to deal with that country)
* Comments on the extent of alleged corruption in Afghanistan (wow! I bet nobody saw that one coming!)

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:22 am

NeonVomit wrote:Before leaks came out: Case brought against him, dropped by district prosecutor for lack of evidence and credibility.

After leaks came out: Suddenly, case brought up again.

WHAT A COINCIDENCE :shock: :shock: :shock:
I can't add anything more intelligent to this conversation than "it appears even Assange's condoms have leaks"

:lol:

Here are some pictures of the women in question, and abit of text in English.
Jens.

"Koskenkorva is very good."
-Ronald Reagan

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:45 am

Ouch! This was below the belt.

I've started taking bets on this guy meeting with an unfortunate accident.

Also, a handy running chart of all the big issues released.

A useful guide on understanding the cable format is worth checking out if you're planning on trawling through this stuff unaided.

Does Julian Assange really look like a guy with a plan? You know what he is? He's a dog chasing cars. He wouldn't know what to do with one if he caught it! You know… he just does things. The Americans have plans. The Chinese have plans. Putin's got plans. They're schemers. Schemers trying to control their little worlds. Assange is not a schemer. He tries to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are. So he says that releasing this stuff to the press was nothing personal, you'll know that he's telling the truth. It's the schemers that put the diplomatic situation where it is. They were schemers, and they had plans. And look where that got them.

Assange just did what he does best. He took their little plans and turned them on themselves! Look at what he did to the international community with a few emails and a couple of envelopes. You know what he noticed? Nobody panics when things go "according to plan"… even if the plan is horrifying. If tomorrow he told the press that, like, a gang-banger will get shot, or a truck load of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all part of the plan. But when he says that one British royal is hated by US diplomats... well, then everyone loses their minds! He wanted to introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, then everything becomes…chaos. He's an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair.

Heads he lives, tails he dies. Now we're talking!

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:13 pm

* Fears that terrorists may acquire Pakistani nuclear material (yeah, welcome to TEN YEARS AGO)
* Several Arab leaders urged attack on Iran over nuclear issue (the Arabs hating/fearing Iran? Whoever would've thought!)
* US instructs spying on key UN officials (as if no-one else does)
* China's changing relationship with North Korea (the only question here is 'what took them so long?')
* Yemen approved US strikes on militants (the only one I found vaguely unexpected)
* Personal and embarrassing comments on world leaders (Berlusconi is a buffoon and Prince Andrew is a twit. Stop press!)
* Russia is a "virtual mafia state" with widespread corruption and bribery (it would've been red hot info if there was any proof to be found of the opposite, really)
* Afghan President Hamid Karzai is "paranoid and weak" (the dude had best be on some serious meds to deal with that country)
* Comments on the extent of alleged corruption in Afghanistan (wow! I bet nobody saw that one coming!)
Nothing here is new or surprising.
Yeah, because journalists always consult with authorities when they have an exclusive breaking story, right?
Depends on the sources, I guess. If tomorrow someone would steal the codes to nuke launchers or names of super-secret intelligence officers, will it be OK to publish it?

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:58 pm

bockrocker wrote:
Shurik wrote:99% of what was published isn't new or particularly surprising, but it's still not OK to steal confidential documents. There's a reason why those documents are confidential ...
NeonVomit wrote:No documents were stolen.
I'm not sure if they count as "stolen", but pretty sure the act of giving them to Assange is considered criminal :) The documents were downloaded by an Army private who then uploaded them to wikileaks. The site's sole purpose is to expose secrets, and if Assange was only exposing the secrets of North Korea he would have been given the medal of honor or some shit. I appreciate the element of anarchy he has introduced into the news which, while now broadcasting for 24 hours a day instead of 1 seems to give us less information than ever.

I don't know what to think about the rape warrants. I saw Assange on several talkshows and he seemed pretty paranoid about being framed for things and taken offline and how he never slept in the same place and whatnot. If he is guilty he should certainly face justice, but the timing of these things is highly suspect. Here's a quote that made me laugh though:
The documents definitely have been considered stolen by both the State Department, in addition to the U.S. Army's CID (Criminal Investigation Division):

Army Intelligence analyst PFC (Private First Class) Bradley Manning, 22 charged for Wikileaks leak

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02330.html

Here is the main link to the CID's page:

http://www.cid.army.mil/

Now what I don't understand is how such a low-level enlisted staff member could even have access to such sensitive information, particularly from the State Department, which in effect, is the Foreign Ministry of the U.S. government.

Shurik wrote:If tomorrow someone would steal the codes to nuke launchers or names of super-secret intelligence officers, will it be OK to publish it?
The latter of that has already been done during the Clinton administration. Word leaked out on who was spying for the U.S. in Russia, and of course, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what likely happened to those people.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:10 pm

miditek wrote:
Now what I don't understand is how such a low-level enlisted staff member could even have access to such sensitive information, particularly from the State Department, which in effect, is the Foreign Ministry of the U.S. government.
Of course he didn't have access. Someone higher up did, and he's taking the fall for it. What I don't understand is why everyone believes that he's responsible for this.

As for whether or not taking 'information' (i.e. not physical matter) can be considered as stealing is murky legal water. There will probably be some pretexts about national security found, but then again if such sensitive material was so easily accessed then who's really responsible, and was the material contained actually what was harming national security, and so forth. On the flipside, freedom of speech and information laws will come into play as well.

I want to lie, shipwrecked and comotoase,
Drinking fresh mango juice,
Goldfish shoals, nibbling at my toes,
Fun, fun, fun,
In the sun, sun, sun,
Fun, fun, fun,
In the sun, sun, sun.

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:51 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
miditek wrote:
Of course he didn't have access. Someone higher up did, and he's taking the fall for it. What I don't understand is why everyone believes that he's responsible for this.

As for whether or not taking 'information' (i.e. not physical matter) can be considered as stealing is murky legal water. There will probably be some pretexts about national security found, but then again if such sensitive material was so easily accessed then who's really responsible, and was the material contained actually what was harming national security, and so forth. On the flipside, freedom of speech and information laws will come into play as well.

I want to lie, shipwrecked and comotoase,
Drinking fresh mango juice,
Goldfish shoals, nibbling at my toes,
Fun, fun, fun,
In the sun, sun, sun,
Fun, fun, fun,
In the sun, sun, sun.
I know that non-coms (and higher ranks) get security clearance, but I'm not sure 100% how overall rank ties in with the Army's security clearance policies.

Also, it seems a bit strange that much of the leaks were State Department related (as opposed to the Defense Department) per se.

The PFC that was charged will likely face a courts martial, rather than a civilian trial- unless they kick him out of the Army, and then have him tried in federal district court as a civilian. Who knows where this fucking thing will lead to eventually.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:06 pm

what is wikileaks? :oops:
A9

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:48 pm

I know that non-coms (and higher ranks) get security clearance, but I'm not sure 100% how overall rank ties in with the Army's security clearance policies.
AFAIK, it's not about the rank, it's about the security clearance you have. If everything works right in the system, you can't have an access to the documents above your clearance. I also highly doubt that a simple soldier would have an access to the State Department documents, but with enough computer knowledge and a crappy security everything is possible. Hell, part of my army service was as a computer technician, and we knew every password to every system on the base and could get everywhere - including base commander's personal computer and human resources database with a data about every soldier on the base, no matter the clearance. I wasn't even an officer, I finished my service with a rank of staff sergeant.

So the guy who actually leaked the documents may have been working with someone above him but with enough determination he could've gotten to the documents by himself. As it looks, the computer security was really shitty.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:07 pm

miditek wrote: The PFC that was charged will likely face a courts martial, rather than a civilian trial- unless they kick him out of the Army, and then have him tried in federal district court as a civilian. Who knows where this fucking thing will lead to eventually.
Exactly. Some private goes down with nary a peep, and the person actually behind it will go on leaking stuff. Wonderful!

Another thought: Assange has probably got a pretty good 'insurance policy' in place. I.e, one of those 'anything happens to me and some SUPER dirty stuff gets released' type deals.

Any speculation on what that might be? Obviously, like in Dr Strangelove a doomsday device is only of any use if those concerned know it exists, so the heads of governments have probably been threatened with it already.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:45 am

NeonVomit wrote:Another thought: Assange has probably got a pretty good 'insurance policy' in place. I.e, one of those 'anything happens to me and some SUPER dirty stuff gets released' type deals.

Any speculation on what that might be? Obviously, like in Dr Strangelove a doomsday device is only of any use if those concerned know it exists, so the heads of governments have probably been threatened with it already.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... le1825922/

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:49 am

Is any code unbreakable? Even a '265-bit encryption key'?

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:50 am

I dunno...

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:00 am

And hang on, didn't he already disclose the whole lot to 5 newspapers?