Last Albums you got

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
dirtclaw
Re: Last Albums you got

Post by dirtclaw » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:23 pm

The last album I got in the mail was "The Great Escape" by Seventh Wonder. Amazing album that lives up to their previous albums in ways I never imagined it could.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:31 pm

ggonza43 wrote:
Rebel wrote:Buckethead is the most talented human being to ever pick up an electric guitar.

We can argue the human being part, but that's about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsjYqm-2PDk
Well, to aport my opinion here, I honestly don't like Buckethead's style. He may be a great guitarrist and I'm not denying that, it's just that his playing is "weird" when compared with, I don't know, Vai or Straiani. Of course those are the ones at the top of my head and I know they aren't that similar, it's just that I don't feel that joy and emotion when listening to his riffs or solos the way I do with other guitarrists...

That and the fact that his bucket with the mask really creeps me out :lol:
I think Vai is the most wierd there is, not only is the fast stuff he does,also the selection of notes, and the patterns...some of his little black dots.
STEVE VAI wrote:It helps if they (his musicians) can read music or at least have an understanding of it. The opening song on the DVD is in a brisk 25/32 time signature. It’s an extremely complex piece but tremendously heavy. When I brought it into rehearsal the music for each part stretched close to 25 feet.
tempo metal "little example"
I dont even try to understand this, and how and where to apply it
STEVE VAI wrote:By writing out twenty-one units and grouping them in sevens, you can see where the beats fall. By dividing the units into seven groups of three, you make a triplet out of each of the seven attacks.
A9

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:34 pm

Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:Buckethead is the most talented human being to ever pick up an electric guitar.

I could EASILY name at least 10 better guitarists off the top of my head
Except you would be wrong on all 10 counts.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and we already know the list, Vai, Satriani, Becker, Friedman,Malmsteem,Gilbert., blah blah blah, all of them .............the same school buckethead went, and furthermore.....they rip off each other :lol:
I could say those, but metal has so many good ones... I could say anyone from Tolkki to Petrucci, or Romeo, or even my current favorite, Gary Wehrkamp.
Tolkki Petrucci and Romeo?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tolkki's guitar playing is an absolute joke compared to BH's

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:48 pm

Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and we already know the list, Vai, Satriani, Becker, Friedman,Malmsteem,Gilbert., blah blah blah, all of them .............the same school buckethead went, and furthermore.....they rip off each other :lol:
I could say those, but metal has so many good ones... I could say anyone from Tolkki to Petrucci, or Romeo, or even my current favorite, Gary Wehrkamp.

:lol: they got different approaches, romeo and tolkki are pretty similiar, maybe petrucci is more close to BH´s style, and in terms of strechin´abilities and songwriting...im gotta stay in the JP team on this one.
A9

Balu

Post by Balu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:50 pm

Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:

Already said it, but I guess your brain is a little unevolved to understand, guitar playing is more than about just skills. Tolkki's playing has a lot, lot more feeling in it that buckethead's.

And the other three guys I'd say surpass him in skills too.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:55 pm

Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:

Already said it, but I guess your brain is a little unevolved to understand, guitar playing is more than about just skills. Tolkki's playing has a lot, lot more feeling in it that buckethead's.

....."the other three guys" you dont even know of whom you are talking about...shut up.
A9

Balu

Post by Balu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:57 pm

adrian9 wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:

....."the other three guys" you dont even know of whom you are talking about...shut up.
Hey man. I thought I was ignored, but meh.
You had a problem with the part 'the other three guys', and while I'm not entirely sure, that neither had a sexchange operation and changed names, I don't see that as a possibility. What else was your problem there?

Stratowarius

Post by Stratowarius » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Stratowarius 2.0 wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:

But, but, it is the soul that counts isn't it? :)
:) Soulcounting jaja! My soulmental state is insane but my psysical is topnotch. Years of training have that effect... :wink:

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:19 pm

Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:

More feeling?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ3_-SbtOL0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKUYSl8c ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2oUPtNhcnE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mVjxCitVL0

your ignorance is so pervasive it hurts to read. The solo in Machete tops the feeling and emotion of anything any of those guitarists have ever accomplished, Buckethead is a great shredder, but his true ability is that he can capture absolute emotion with music.

Balu

Post by Balu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:24 pm

Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:

More feeling?

your ignorance is so pervasive it hurts to read. The solo in Machete tops the feeling and emotion of anything any of those guitarists have ever accomplished, Buckethead is a great shredder, but his true ability is that he can capture absolute emotion with music.
I think you linked that already in one of our countless buckedhead arguments, and I still can't feel as much emotion in it as any of the better Tolkki solos.

And my ignorance? You're just a fanboy, nothing more.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:29 pm

Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:

More feeling?

I think you linked that already in one of our countless buckedhead arguments, and I still can't feel as much emotion in it as any of the better Tolkki solos.

And my ignorance? You're just a fanboy, nothing more.
And the others? I'd say it's more likely that you're just biased, nothing more.

Buckethead's prolificness, versatility and technical prowess are unmatched by any living guitarist.

Balu

Post by Balu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:40 pm

I've seen them too, I've had lots of similar arguments before.
How the hell am I any more biased than you?

What is that if not pure fanboyness?

No matter how much you love him, you must at least admit, that there are people with far better songwriting abilities.

Karlheinz Stockhausen

Post by Karlheinz Stockhausen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:45 pm

:( Huh! And what do you say about the dead guitarrarist with their skeletonfingers? Huh? Hah?They don't need plectrums at least butt do they have some soul..?

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:49 pm

Balu wrote:I've seen them too, I've had lots of similar arguments before.

No matter how much you love him, you must at least admit, that there are people with far better songwriting abilities.
Buckethead puts out an average of 6 albums a year over his career (Solo and with bands), and has written brilliant songs in Funk, Jazz, Rock, Ambient, Noise, Metal, Prog, and Avant Garde, among several others.

I think that's about as good as it gets for songwriting

Balu

Post by Balu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:59 pm

Rebel wrote:

Buckethead puts out an average of 6 albums a year over his career (Solo and with bands), and has written brilliant songs in Funk, Jazz, Rock, Ambient, Noise, Metal, Prog, and Avant Garde, among several others.

Quality>quanity. Any Arjen Lucassen album (with special focus on Human Equation) probably kicks the asses of the buckethead albums.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:06 am

Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:

Quality>quanity. Any Arjen Lucassen album (with special focus on Human Equation) probably kicks the asses of the buckethead albums.
Except Buckethead doesn't release bad albums.

Balu

Post by Balu » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:15 am

Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:

I doubt that, but releasing the best progmetal album ever is a bigger thing that releaing 50 just good ones.

Stratowarius 2.0

Post by Stratowarius 2.0 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:28 am

Soulcounting jaja! My soulmental state is insane but my psysical is topnotch. Years of training have that effect... :wink:
It appears like some maneuver or drill carried out for training and discipline? ???

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:33 am

Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:

I doubt that, but releasing the best progmetal album ever is a bigger thing that releaing 50 just good ones.
Progmetal is a pretty restrictive genre, kinda betrays its name, prog rock is the much more respectable genre, but I'd rather hear someone who can master any genre they set to, than just being very good at one.

Kecos

Post by Kecos » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:08 am

a
Last edited by Kecos on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:33 am

Kecos wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:

Progmetal is a pretty restrictive genre, kinda betrays its name, prog rock is the much more respectable genre, but I'd rather hear someone who can master any genre they set to, than just being very good at one.
I wouldn't say that. There's a lot of variety in the prog metal that I've heard. And, not necessary prog metal but prog in general, if you want to hear versatile, listen to Alex Lifeson play. He's mastered every genre he's set to.
Prog rock is a completely different monster, prog metal just takes things prog rock has already done and metallizes them.

Stratowarius

Post by Stratowarius » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:51 am

Stratowarius 2.0 wrote:
Soulcounting jaja! My soulmental state is insane but my psysical is topnotch. Years of training have that effect... :wink:
It appears like some maneuver or drill carried out for training and discipline? ???

Well err! I had to talk with the others and we would be willing to pool our money together to get the best bowflex we can afford for training our micromacromedios on the weekend... :banana1: :banana2:

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:49 am

dirtclaw wrote:The last album I got in the mail was "The Great Escape" by Seventh Wonder. Amazing album that lives up to their previous albums in ways I never imagined it could.
Really?? I'm waiting to receive The Great Escape. Mercy Falls is an absolute masterpiece.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Stratowarius 2.0

Post by Stratowarius 2.0 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:59 pm

Stratowarius wrote:
Stratowarius 2.0 wrote:

Well err! I had to talk with the others and we would be willing to pool our money together to get the best bowflex we can afford for training our micromacromedios on the weekend... :banana1: :banana2:
You have maybe got a touch of anorexia. YOU needs a bowflex...if you remember what that was. :roll:

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:06 pm

RazielSR wrote:
dirtclaw wrote:The last album I got in the mail was "The Great Escape" by Seventh Wonder. Amazing album that lives up to their previous albums in ways I never imagined it could.
Really?? I'm waiting to receive The Great Escape. Mercy Falls is an absolute masterpiece.
Well, as I just started to listen to this band, maybe I should give you my impression of them: First of all, I decided to listen to "Become"; nice album, with some arrengements in the songs I found pretty interesting (so far I like "Day By Day", "The Damned" and "The Secret"). Still haven't found what I was expecting of this kind of band, so I then heard "Waiting In The Wings"; similar to the previous release, although the bass sounds damn good (so far, "Star Of David", "Taint The Sky" and "Banish The Wicked"). Until now I thought it was a good band, but still haven't found that spark I was waiting for, so I decided to give it a last chance with the next record, "Mercy Falls". After giving to it a whole listen, I was like "Holy shit!!"; the album is so well made, great story, awesome sound - I haven't heard anything like this since DT's "Scenes From A Memory"; just a pure masterpiece. With this, I decided with no doubt to get their latest record "The Great Escape": Very powerful and solid release, with the title track being just wonderful (it seems that 30 minutes isn't enough for them :lol:)

Overall, great band. And "Mercy Falls", indeed Raziel, is THE absolute masterpiece :D!
|StratoFan Forever|

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:19 pm

is there is a guitar god in prog rock, that has to be Alex Lifeson, not to metion geddy on bass and the master neil peart in drums.....I would never ever doubt of the greatness of this band
A9

Stratowarius

Post by Stratowarius » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:45 pm

Stratowarius 2.0 wrote:
Stratowarius wrote:
Stratowarius 2.0 wrote:

You have maybe got a touch of anorexia. YOU needs a bowflex...if you remember what that was. :roll:

Nonono!No bowflex. I need MULTIPLE sandwiches. Tell me, do you also suffer from societal castigation on account of your lackluster physical? appearance. :roll: :roll:

Balu

Post by Balu » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:35 pm

ggonza43 wrote:
RazielSR wrote:
Well, as I just started to listen to this band, maybe I should give you my impression of them: First of all, I decided to listen to "Become"; nice album, with some arrengements in the songs I found pretty interesting (so far I like "Day By Day", "The Damned" and "The Secret"). Still haven't found what I was expecting of this kind of band, so I then heard "Waiting In The Wings"; similar to the previous release, although the bass sounds damn good (so far, "Star Of David", "Taint The Sky" and "Banish The Wicked"). Until now I thought it was a good band, but still haven't found that spark I was waiting for, so I decided to give it a last chance with the next record, "Mercy Falls". After giving to it a whole listen, I was like "Holy shit!!"; the album is so well made, great story, awesome sound - I haven't heard anything like this since DT's "Scenes From A Memory"; just a pure masterpiece. With this, I decided with no doubt to get their latest record "The Great Escape": Very powerful and solid release, with the title track being just wonderful (it seems that 30 minutes isn't enough for them :lol:)

Overall, great band. And "Mercy Falls", indeed Raziel, is THE absolute masterpiece :D!
Agreed pretty much, but Mercy Falls >>>>> Scenes From A Memory.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:04 am

adrian9 wrote:is there is a guitar god in prog rock, that has to be Alex Lifeson, not to metion geddy on bass and the master neil peart in drums.....I would never ever doubt of the greatness of this band
You seem to have a penchant for jizzing all over whatever is overplayed on classic rock radio.

This man knows how its done, he's surpassed Pink Floyd in my book of Prog awesome.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:02 am

Rebel wrote:
adrian9 wrote:is there is a guitar god in prog rock, that has to be Alex Lifeson, not to metion geddy on bass and the master neil peart in drums.....I would never ever doubt of the greatness of this band
You seem to have a penchant for jizzing all over whatever is overplayed on classic rock radio.

This man knows how its done, he's surpassed Pink Floyd in my book of Prog awesome.
:lol: :lol: whatever dude, Rush and Pink Floyd are on the Pantheon of Prog Metal...if you like it or not doesnt change a damn thing,there may be newcomers all the time, they borrow stuff for the people who came before them, is an undeniable thing and is also very natural, only a hadful of them will pass the test of time who is always the one with the last word on everything. Rush and Pink Floyd have already surpassed; by far the test of time.
also I dont know what radio are you talking about because where I live there is not such a thing like classic rock radio :?
A9