New album "Elysium", Jan 12 2011. Single on Nov 26

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
foerg
Re: New album "Elysium", Jan 12 2011. Single on Nov 26

Post by foerg » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:38 pm

wow... had to hear it several times... could´t get all that beauty at once...

valo_666

Post by valo_666 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:59 pm

The title track "Elysium" is just godly. The word EPIC turns senseless when it comes to the end of that song! Those keyboard and guitar solos and emotional melodies are incredible, in the level of Destiny/Visions/ETC

Balu

Post by Balu » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:01 pm

valo_666 wrote:The title track "Elysium" is just godly. The word EPIC turns senseless when it comes to the end of that song! Those keyboard and guitar solos and emotional melodies are incredible, in the level of Destiny/Visions/ETC
Agreed. I can only name one 'long' power metal song that can compete with it (Theocracy - Mirror of Souls).

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Indeed, "Elysium" is just one of the greatest melodies our ears will ever experience. I just hope the band play segements of it at the live shows :)
|StratoFan Forever|

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:03 pm

Lauri's bass stands out on this album, and Jens has some cool sounds aswell.

valo_666

Post by valo_666 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:42 pm

I already pre-ordered the 2CD edition with the T-shirt at Record Shop X : )

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:59 am

I can't describe the album in words. I'd say it's probably better than Polaris...hmmm and perhaps Elements 2. I think it's probably on par with Elements 1 somewhere IMO. But for me the greatest thing about this album is that I can really hear an evolution from the discography, especially in 'Elysium' song. Polaris didn't achieve this factor completely. I think the second half of the album is when it starts to get really good. Some songs might takes some getting used to - Not so keen on the techno keys on 'Lifetime In A Moment' but I quite like the rest of the song. Some of the song names could be more 'memorable' if you get what I mean. I absolutely love 'Under Flaming Skies' and 'Move The Mountain'. I can say the quality really enriches the songs and makes them enjoyable. Cheers to another good Strato album! I feel like some beer :D

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:18 am

^ nice description!

Polaris has grown on me a lot! I think all the songs are good, but I really like the compositions by Jens and Lauri on Polaris; every song is a crescendo of music epicness, I love it! Can't wait to buy Elysium and hear what you guys are describing!

Sumerian

Post by Sumerian » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:59 am

I have, out of some morbid curiosity, listened to recent Stratovarius "album". In this case it is quite clear they cannot fool the fans, and the reviews I read reflect this. :wink:

What a fucking horrible 3rd rate strato clone. :lol: The songs are missing Stratovarius "magic", and Kotipelto sounds like shit.

Now it is clear band is just one big joke. And maybe its time I learned to laugh a little bit. Ha-ha. :)

Just my opinion. :)

Cheers and greetings from Egypt,
Sumerian

TheLegendaryDreamer

Post by TheLegendaryDreamer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:18 am

Sumerian wrote:I have, out of some morbid curiosity, listened to recent Stratovarius "album". In this case it is quite clear they cannot fool the fans, and the reviews I read reflect this. :wink:

What a fucking horrible 3rd rate strato clone. :lol: The songs are missing Stratovarius "magic", and Kotipelto sounds like shit.

Now it is clear band is just one big joke. And maybe its time I learned to laugh a little bit. Ha-ha. :)

Sumerian
With the course Stratovarius has taken, it is understandable that there are going to be people who have opinions like this. Of course I respect your opinion, but this is a forum for the fans.

I also like Tolkki's music, and I would love to support Symfonia by buying their future albums too but...
*points to the door* :x :x :x

On topic:
This album should be up there with the classics IMO. Polaris to me was more of a tryout for Matias, but now he's fully integrated with Elysium.

... Just listen to the title song... FUCK that's epic!

gazinwales

Post by gazinwales » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:56 am

I agree that Polaris was a steaming turd.
The new one is a vast improvement.
Koto always sounds shit with Strato, listen to Cain's Offering, to hear how good he can be.

BBBBBBBBBB

Post by BBBBBBBBBB » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:20 am

Sumerian wrote:I have, out of some morbid curiosity, listened to recent Stratovarius "album". In this case it is quite clear they cannot fool the fans, and the reviews I read reflect this. :wink:

Sumerian
YOU NEXT TO DIEEE!!!!!! :x :x :x :x :pissed4: :pissed4: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :pissed5: :pissed5: :pissed5: :pissed5: :pissed5: :pissed5: :pissed5: :pissed5: :pissed5: :pissed5: :pissed5: :pissed5:

BBBBBBBBBB

Post by BBBBBBBBBB » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:21 am

gazinwales wrote:I agree that Polaris was a steaming turd.
The new one is a vast improvement.
Koto always sounds shit with Strato, listen to Cain's Offering, to hear how good he can be.
AAAAARRRGGHHHH!!!!! :splat: :splat: :splat: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :stfu:

AAAAAAAAAAAA 3.0

Post by AAAAAAAAAAAA 3.0 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:27 am

Sumerian
Keep your thoughts and opinions locked inside of your shitty head you son of a bitch!

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:04 am

Burning Reflection wrote:^ nice description!

Polaris has grown on me a lot! I think all the songs are good, but I really like the compositions by Jens and Lauri on Polaris; every song is a crescendo of music epicness, I love it! Can't wait to buy Elysium and hear what you guys are describing!
Well I hate making comparisons like earlier :lol: ...I think this album is in a league of it's own actually in the same way E1 had a new peak. It's kinda took the Stratovarius sound and send it packing to the fifth dimension. Polaris was great but it didn't have as much emotion. I think this album will get a lot of good reviews about it, they sound more diverse than ever :)

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:14 pm

Where did the poll thread go?

I wanted to put into words what I’m feeling after two and a half days of constant listening. It’s the first time I felt the urge of doing something like this, I wonder why :? Whatever, here’s what came into my mind while listening:

Darkest Hours
The track with the most “pop” feeling, with a nice sing-along chorus and “in your face”-lyrics. Personally I think it’s the weakest track of the album.
Under Flaming Skies
A song full of power, great melody and a catchy chorus. I like it more everytime I listen to it, the song went around in my mind the whole yesterday evening.
Infernal Maze
Great beginning, turning unexpectedly into a totally different, powerful and fast song with a SICK guitar solo!
Fairness Justified
Heavy chorus, outstanding guitar solo full of feeling accentuated by a nice bass melody. Truly “divine“ :)
The Game Never Ends
Jens at his best, great sing-along song! Not sure what to think about the lyrics, should I laugh or should I think about the deeper meaning?
Lifetime In A Moment
And now for something completely different… Lauri, that’s why I love you so much, always good for a surprise! Absorbing beginning, transitioning into a great guitar riff, massive bassline. Dark, heavy, impressive chorus, somehow aetherical, different style than usual. Oh wow. Turned into my favourite one during the days.
Move The Mountain
I’m not very much into ballads, and I can’t say this one would make a difference. But still good, wonderful beginning and chorus, kind of melancholic lyrics.
Event Horizon
That’s how Power Metal should be, from beginning till the end :headbang: Impressive guitar-keys-duel.
Elysium
Wonderful changes of fast and slow, powerful and calm, dark and light. Every member of the band has his highlights. Lots of little masterpieces bound together impressively in a great overall composition. TK’s singing like an angel somewhere, outstanding drumming.
Overall:
Very good and balanced, but still distinct production and tones, great melodies and compositions, vocals well pitched/not too high overall (had been one of my fears after having heard Infernal Maze). More balanced and sophisticated than Polaris, evolving the good ideas from there into a higher level. Wonderful guitar parts, Matias developed his very own style, and if anyone tries to deny his playing is full of feeling, the only reason I could imagine are prejudices and preformed opinions.
My expectations were damn high already, but the guys managed to exceed them by far. The worst I could imagine would have been if they would have made a step back trying to copy the Tolkki era as some fans would like them to do. Thanks to all of the band members they didn’t, but instead applied themselves and their own styles into something new and fresh. I can understand if someone mourns over the “good old days”, you have the right to do so cause this is different to the things made before, but personally I’m more than glad and proud that they had the balls to evolve and create their own masterpiece, instead of trying to copy old ones. Thanks to all of you for creating such godly music. Can’t wait for the CDs to arrive to hear it in better quality from my better speakers.

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:46 pm

mocobhc wrote:Where did the poll thread go?

I wanted to put into words what I’m feeling after two and a half days of constant listening. It’s the first time I felt the urge of doing something like this, I wonder why :? Whatever, here’s what came into my mind while listening:

Darkest Hours
The track with the most “pop” feeling, with a nice sing-along chorus and “in your face”-lyrics. Personally I think it’s the weakest track of the album.
Under Flaming Skies
A song full of power, great melody and a catchy chorus. I like it more everytime I listen to it, the song went around in my mind the whole yesterday evening.
Infernal Maze
Great beginning, turning unexpectedly into a totally different, powerful and fast song with a SICK guitar solo!
Fairness Justified
Heavy chorus, outstanding guitar solo full of feeling accentuated by a nice bass melody. Truly “divine“ :)
The Game Never Ends
Jens at his best, great sing-along song! Not sure what to think about the lyrics, should I laugh or should I think about the deeper meaning?
Lifetime In A Moment
And now for something completely different… Lauri, that’s why I love you so much, always good for a surprise! Absorbing beginning, transitioning into a great guitar riff, massive bassline. Dark, heavy, impressive chorus, somehow aetherical, different style than usual. Oh wow. Turned into my favourite one during the days.
Move The Mountain
I’m not very much into ballads, and I can’t say this one would make a difference. But still good, wonderful beginning and chorus, kind of melancholic lyrics.
Event Horizon
That’s how Power Metal should be, from beginning till the end :headbang: Impressive guitar-keys-duel.
Elysium
Wonderful changes of fast and slow, powerful and calm, dark and light. Every member of the band has his highlights. Lots of little masterpieces bound together impressively in a great overall composition. TK’s singing like an angel somewhere, outstanding drumming.
Overall:
Very good and balanced, but still distinct production and tones, great melodies and compositions, vocals well pitched/not too high overall (had been one of my fears after having heard Infernal Maze). More balanced and sophisticated than Polaris, evolving the good ideas from there into a higher level. Wonderful guitar parts, Matias developed his very own style, and if anyone tries to deny his playing is full of feeling, the only reason I could imagine are prejudices and preformed opinions.
My expectations were damn high already, but the guys managed to exceed them by far. The worst I could imagine would have been if they would have made a step back trying to copy the Tolkki era as some fans would like them to do. Thanks to all of the band members they didn’t, but instead applied themselves and their own styles into something new and fresh. I can understand if someone mourns over the “good old days”, you have the right to do so cause this is different to the things made before, but personally I’m more than glad and proud that they had the balls to evolve and create their own masterpiece, instead of trying to copy old ones. Thanks to all of you for creating such godly music. Can’t wait for the CDs to arrive to hear it in better quality from my better speakers.
I agree 99% with this review. Only thing which is different is that for me Infernal Maze is the weakest song on the album instead of DH.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:04 pm

One thing I'm still amazed is the keyboard solo at "Move The Mountain". I think this is the first time I hear a solo from Jens with a different style we are all used to listen. In fact, one of the best ballads in years Strato has made :)
|StratoFan Forever|

TheLegendaryDreamer

Post by TheLegendaryDreamer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:24 pm

They put the poll thread in Flames & Chaos, BTW.

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:32 pm

ggonza43 wrote:One thing I'm still amazed is the keyboard solo at "Move The Mountain". I think this is the first time I hear a solo from Jens with a different style we are all used to listen. In fact, one of the best ballads in years Strato has made :)
+1

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:39 pm

Infernal Maze was the best song Stratovarius made in over a decade. Until I listened to Elysium. That 18-minute-song is THE BEST stratovarius has ever written.

Simply perfect!

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:10 pm

I just love the chorus of the part 2 from Elysium: "I can hear you calling my name, from the distant skies" :music:
|StratoFan Forever|

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:52 pm

Yeah, and the riff half way into the song is the most metal i've had in my headphones since Phoenix \m/

EDIT: 5 minutes and 10 seconds into Elysium

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:58 pm

stratodan1990 wrote:Yeah, and the riff half way into the song is the most metal i've had in my headphones since Phoenix \m/
Fuck yeah!! I'm dying to see this reborn Strato live :headbang:!
|StratoFan Forever|

WinterBlack

Post by WinterBlack » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:40 pm

I'm dreaming about this:

Castaway (EP)

Release Date: 28 January 2010
Label: Victor/Edel Music
Tracklisting

01 Castaway
02 Last Shore
03 Hallowed
04 Castaway (demo)
05 Last Shore (demo)
06 Hallowed (demo)

IT WOULD BE A DREAM TO ME!!! :luv1: :luv1: :luv1:
WinterBlack

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:53 pm

Unless it leaks 2 weeks before :buh:
|StratoFan Forever|

mmarton88

Post by mmarton88 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:41 am

I don't really like the so called "Strato clone" bands. Thunderstone, Sonata Arctica, Cain's Offering, etc. They are good but Stratovarius was much more better. An other dimension.

This album... is just not enough Stratovarius. For me it is as good as a great Sonata album can be. I miss something in it's atmosphere and in the melodies. This something was essential part in the music of this band since 4th Dimension (to Elements Pt. 2) and Elysium misses it. :S

BUT. Despite it, it's cool. It's a great power metal album, with some really good songs, tunes. :)
7.5-8/10

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:51 pm

mmarton88 wrote:I don't really like the so called "Strato clone" bands. Thunderstone, Sonata Arctica, Cain's Offering, etc. They are good but Stratovarius was much more better. An other dimension.

This album... is just not enough Stratovarius. For me it is as good as a great Sonata album can be. I miss something in it's atmosphere and in the melodies. This something was essential part in the music of this band since 4th Dimension (to Elements Pt. 2) and Elysium misses it. :S

BUT. Despite it, it's cool. It's a great power metal album, with some really good songs, tunes. :)
7.5-8/10
Hmmm, i'd rate the album a bit higher than that (IMO). I'd give it an 8.0-8.5, for the fact I think this album is less safe...but I like that alot. Thats what I always liked about the old Stratovarius, it made risks, it was chaotic, it was neoclassical brutality. And I feel like that's coming back in this album. Also the calmer parts have nostalgia, Polaris didn't quite get there but Elysium took it alot further imo.

Some examples 'Move The Mountain', 'Elysium', 'Under Flaming Skies' have the 'atmosphere' back -I mean just listen to them in headphones!! they are just total ear candy. I expected the sound to become something different...but considering it I think they hit the nail on the head. And i'm more excited than ever to hear future material :D

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:24 pm

After TT's departure and MK's arrival, the band with "Polaris" took a more progressive direction, with songs like "Deep Unknown", "Falling Star", "King Of Nothing", and the "Emancipation" suite. After 2 years, and a bit more work from Matias (composing almost every song and apporting more guitar than the previous album), "Elysium" combined the new direction the band took, but going back to their origianl power metal roots; with song like "Under Flaming Skies", "Infernal Maze" and "The Game Never Ends", one can confuse the guitar playing with anything TT has done at his best period.

With this being said, Elysium is like a re-mastered version of Polaris, only in a faster, right-in-your-face way :D!
|StratoFan Forever|

Balu

Post by Balu » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:46 pm

ggonza43 wrote:After TT's departure and MK's arrival, the band with "Polaris" took a more progressive direction, with songs like "Deep Unknown", "Falling Star", "King Of Nothing", and the "Emancipation" suite. After 2 years, and a bit more work from Matias (composing almost every song and apporting more guitar than the previous album), "Elysium" combined the new direction the band took, but going back to their origianl power metal roots; with song like "Under Flaming Skies", "Infernal Maze" and "The Game Never Ends", one can confuse the guitar playing with anything TT has done at his best period.

With this being said, Elysium is like a re-mastered version of Polaris, only in a faster, right-in-your-face way :D!
I have no idea why you think more guitar is good on an album. I really loved the keyboard-based sound of Polaris. In fact, I'd love a Strato album only composed by Jens...