Reviews of Elysium

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Balu
Re: Reviews of Elysium

Post by Balu » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:09 pm

Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
ggonza43 wrote:Both of you are saying bullshits 8)

(please be gentle)
I have a feeling Rebel might just be ignoring me. Anyway, I NEVER say bullshit. : D
Reading and Responding are two different things.
But not responding and admitting I'm right are quite similar.
You would have to say something correct before I could admit it.
Alright.
Buckethead is about the same level as a songwrite as Justin Bieber. Start admittin'.
Points for the gross irony, but I think you were trying to be serious, which is pretty pathetic.
Nah, not fully serious.
He is decent, but he is nowhere near the brilliance of Arjen Lucassen or Devin Townsend (the two greatest metal composers right now).

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:11 pm

Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:

(please be gentle)
I have a feeling Rebel might just be ignoring me. Anyway, I NEVER say bullshit. : D
Alright.
Buckethead is about the same level as a songwrite as Justin Bieber. Start admittin'.
Points for the gross irony, but I think you were trying to be serious, which is pretty pathetic.
Nah, not fully serious.
He is decent, but he is nowhere near the brilliance of Arjen Lucassen or Devin Townsend (the two greatest metal composers right now).
At least Arjen ;)

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:15 pm

Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:

(please be gentle)
Alright.
Like I said before, Buckethead's not a metal musician, he's an everything and anything musician

Nah, not fully serious.

Balu

Post by Balu » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:18 pm

Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:

(please be gentle)
Alright.
Like I said before, Buckethead's not a metal musician, he's an everything and anything musician

Nah, not fully serious.
Empty posts rock.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:35 pm

Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:

(please be gentle)
Alright.

Nah, not fully serious.
Empty posts rock.
Yeah, not sure what happened there, completely forgot what I was going to say too.

Balu

Post by Balu » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:40 pm

Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:

(please be gentle)
Alright.

Nah, not fully serious.
Empty posts rock.
Yeah, not sure what happened there, completely forgot what I was going to say too.
Meh, just try to respond now?: D

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:08 pm

Fine, but we're not having a quote pyramid.

There's actually no need for me to quote at all, obvious who I'm replying to.

Those are prog composers, and while I love prog, it's only one facet of music, what I love about Bucket, and have constantly stated, is his versatility.

Balu

Post by Balu » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:11 pm

Rebel wrote:Fine, but we're not having a quote pyramid.

There's actually no need for me to quote at all, obvious who I'm replying to.

Those are prog composers, and while I love prog, it's only one facet of music, what I love about Bucket, and have constantly stated, is his versatility.
Alright, Devin is mainly prog, but he has extreme metal and ambient/noise albums.
Arjen has experimented with ambient influences and classic rock too.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:22 pm

This topic is way off topic. Here's another Elysium review

http://blackwindmetal.blogspot.com/2011 ... ysium.html

Balu

Post by Balu » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:40 pm

Rebel wrote:This topic is way off topic. Here's another Elysium review

http://blackwindmetal.blogspot.com/2011 ... ysium.html
Yeah it is. Where should we diacuss it then?

Not a bad review, I don't fully agree with it though.

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:51 pm

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:45 am

Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:

(please be gentle)
Alright.

Nah, not fully serious.
Empty posts rock.
Ok
---...---

BBBBBBBBBB

Post by BBBBBBBBBB » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:38 am

AGAG wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Balu wrote:

(please be gentle)
Alright.

Nah, not fully serious.
Empty posts rock.
Ok
BULLSHIT!! :x :x

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:06 pm

|StratoFan Forever|

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:50 pm

My short review: THIS ALBUM FUCKING RULES!!!! AWESOME FROM THE BEGINNING TO THE END. The only thing that piss me off is the long intro for the astonishing Lifetime in a momemt.

YAY!!!!!!! AWESOME ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It have it all! Speed, proggie, ballad, atmospheric. Seriously, we need this whole fucking album LIVE!
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:51 pm

It looks that you liked Elysium :lol:
|StratoFan Forever|

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:20 pm

ggonza43 wrote:It looks that you liked Elysium :lol:
Man! I was not expecting the album to be that good! I thought It's gonna be amazing, but this is too much. WOW!

And I like a lot the tracklist order. I mean, you listen the album from the beginning to the end and it's amazing!
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:25 pm

I'm still thinking the last 3 songs are connected, and that the whole album is a semi-concept record :)
|StratoFan Forever|

Texidor

Post by Texidor » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:27 pm

ggonza43 wrote:I'm still thinking the last 3 songs are connected, and that the whole album is a semi-concept record :)
I agree....I think in someway every song is connected because the flow of the album works--- especially from Move The Mountain to Elysium!
SHINE ON!

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:28 pm

Texidor wrote:
ggonza43 wrote:I'm still thinking the last 3 songs are connected, and that the whole album is a semi-concept record :)
I agree....I think in someway every song is connected because the flow of the album works--- especially from Move The Mountain to Elysium!
...That's what I've just said! You need to read between lines a bit more :D
|StratoFan Forever|

Texidor

Post by Texidor » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:33 pm

ggonza43 wrote:
Texidor wrote:
...That's what I've just said! You need to read between lines a bit more :D

Oops- you did LOL! :lol:
SHINE ON!

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:37 pm

I'm AMAZED!

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:56 pm

Chill out a little man, you look as if you were on something :lol:
|StratoFan Forever|

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:07 pm

I have to say that this album has exceeded all my expectations. I was sure that this album would be better than Polaris, cause Polaris was released in a strange environment with a lot of pressure and now, with the guys together just letting the art appears, the album would be really good.

But wow! This album is better than I thought! I'm really happy with this album cause it has a lot of variations in the whole album, it is well constructed, perfect arrengements, wonderful solos, a lot of guitar, a lot of bass, a lot of drums, a lot of keys and TK sing just like he just can, I like a lot the tone in the whole album and the variations he have in his voice for this album. In Polaris the voice sounded a bit forced in some songs, not being bad, just a bit strange. Now it's all really polished and perfectly mixed.

Soon to say, but I think that, having in mind that i have listen to the album so many times, I'm able to say that it is in my Top 3, with Episode, Visions and Fourth Dimension. I can't say that Destiny of Infinite for example are better than this album, I can't cause I don't feel it.

Darkest Hours: is the typical single. I think it is more a kind of single than Deep Unknown was. Anyway I think DU is better as a song, but not for a single. A new Stratovarius single with a catchy chorus, nice melodies and fantastic solo. a song that makes you feel good. The message is very very good.

Under Flaming Skies: is the best song composed ever by TK with difference. I think the improvement in TK comes thanks to Matias too, cause from the very beginning this two guys fits really well while composing.

Infernal Maze: is like the typical Stratovarius song but with that new elements Matias have. It is a relly enjoyable song and powerful. It reminds me a bit the way TK sings to Find your own voice.

Fairness Justified: a slow song that fits perfect at that part of the album. It is maybe the "weakest" song for me, but I can't say this song is weak, it is just because I have to find something weak in the album :) . Anyway, the solo is amazing and it is one of the best in the whole album. Reminds me a bit of the kind of song The abyss of your eyes is.

The Game Never Ends: (or here comes Jens). Faster than light! :) A really fast and technical song with a lot of energy thanks to the Jens keyboard. It is a song that makes you think inmediately with Jens getting mad with the keys. The lyrics are a bit strange sometimes, but they are cool and have a lot of meaning. A song that all keyboards player should listen.

Lifetime In A Moment: one of my favourites songs from the album. Lauri, it is Lauri. Atmospheric song with really cool riff and amazing bass line and with a lot of versatility with TK vocals. Maybe one of the best works while singing from TK in the album. some kind of midtempo-atmospheric-slow-strong song. The only think I hate is the intro, cause it is too long.

Move The Mountain: I would lie if I say that I have not cried a bit with the song. It is a precious ballad. I like a lot what Jens try to say and here comes Jens again, the other side of Jens, that side similar to Winter Skies. I just can't believe how Jens has never composed more for Stratovarius. Well, I'm sure he did, but we know the rest. I just hope this man never stop making music, cause it is part of my life. The solo is amazing and different, that's innovation by Jens, it is different and shows the wide spectrum of ideas he have. How I love this song. The atmosphere is just oneiric.

Event Horizon: or how to release a modern song without losing your identity. Kind of frantic and speedy song with a lot of intrincate melodies and wonderful lyrics/vocals. Another song that all keyboards player should listen. The solo in the middle is just frantic, it is :shock: :shock: . Man I don't know how the Jensokeyboard can exist today after playing that :lol: .

Elysium: Matias, what have you done, man? I hope to see you and tell you congratulations. It is the first time that Stratovarius "plays" with a long song like this. Prog elements, speed, variations, changes, place for all the instruments to shine, TK singing with new kind of melodies and arrengements...
The whole song is A MASTERPIECE. Matias demonstrate that it is a monster while composing. He has composed a song that could have been a disaster cause it is a new part of Stratovarius discography. On the contrary, people loves the song cause is not boring at all. It is amazing and makes your feelings flow through the whole song. The solo at the end is tremendous. Man, you have been a perfect choice for this band, a perfect choice. Just be yourself, that's all, dude.

This is a wonderful album. How happy I am. I'm really happy with the work from all the members this time. They have done a great work together. The artwork is beautiful too.

I think this album is a classic with just two days from the release date.

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ALBUM :D :D :D

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:19 pm

The thing this album taught me is that Tolkki was a much more better ballad writer than the guys now:
Forever, Before the winter, Coming Home, 4000 rainy nights, Mother Gaia, Keep the flame, The land of ice and snow...

All those songs are pure beauty and I must say that the new ballads doesnt reach'em. Winter Skies is the best ballad of Strato new era and can compete with the oldest but, When Mountains Fall, Move the Mountain and the little ballad parts in the new songs are not of the same level, I dont find the same magic as in the oldest ballads, except in Winter Skies.

But apart from that, the new Strato is as awesome as it was with Tolkki when it comes to heaviest songs, even better sometimes!!!!!

Anyway, like Raziel really good review, I'm gonna try to express what I feel about each song:
But I keep in mind that I've listened to the album only 5 times and that it's quite a "first impression review":

Darkest Hours: Despite what a lot of people say, I truly love this song: especially the chorus, catchy, entertaining, "sing-along" type. Great intro!!

Under flaming skies: Honestly, I find it kinda weaker than DH, a really good song but not my favourite of the album.

Infernal Maze: Not a fan of the beginning: too cliché. But then it explodes and it's fucking orgasmic, pure heavy beauty!!!

Fairness Justified: At this moment, it is my favourite of Elysium because of the chorus, despite being catchy, there is a certain nostalgic grandeur and magical and dark feeling I cant explain about it that really touched me.

The Game Never Ends: Thanks Jens! Fucking heavy, amazing chorus, great lyrics, yeah! I just dont understand why the two Jens songs don't have any capital letters in the booklet.

Lifetime in a moment: Great lyrics Lauri, and the creepy vocals are some of the bests I've ever heard. Those are the two greatest points of the song, but I'll need some more time about this song.

Move the Mountain: Like I said, I'm missing the old Strato ballads. MtM is good, indeed, the lyrics are great, but there is not the magic of songs like Forever or Before the Winter or the truly masterpiece: Coming Home.

Event Horizon: The typical song that needs time to aprehend. A lot of things I love about it, some I still dont understand. I love the final countdown and all the "spaceship alert vocals", that completely fit the song and Strato, and the keyboards and guitars duet are truly stunning!!!

Elysium: Too early for me to say anything about it.

All in all:
Favourite song of the album at the moment: Fairness Justified.
Least favourite at the moment: Move the Mountain.

16/20.

But with a lot of chances that it increase considerably within some time.

Then, to be complete about an album, let's talk about the artwork: it took me time but now I think it's my favourite ever, alongside Polaris'.
I love the aspect of the spaceship that has crashed on what I feel being a complete mankind-free planet, nobody survived the crash, and now the spaceship stays there forever, slowly eaten by the vegetation of the planet, a strange and foreign monument in a world of nature and beauty. The end of "Event Horizon" confirms my ideas.
But I have to admit that the Polaris artwork was the hell of a painting too.

About the booklet: I love it's composition, the paradisiac seas and vegetation pictures on all the pages, the police used to write the text. Just, too much photoshop on the band-members picture: they seem, like in all booklet of the world, too plastified.

And in the booklet, is what you call the "Teuton Choir", the creepy vocals of "Lifetime in a Moment"?

Still, my top 3 Strato album remains:

- Visions.
- Infinite.
- Episode.
Through the storms we've wandered
Many mountains we have climbed
But all the bad times are behind
The road is free - I'm coming home

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Forum was down for a little earlier.

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:55 pm

robocop656 wrote:Image

Forum was down for a little earlier.
That man is handsome :)
---...---

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:56 pm

Well, that's the Dude!!!
Through the storms we've wandered
Many mountains we have climbed
But all the bad times are behind
The road is free - I'm coming home

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:41 pm

RazielSR wrote:Under Flaming Skies: is the best song composed ever by TK with difference. I think the improvement in TK comes thanks to Matias too, cause from the very beginning this two guys fits really well while composing.
Plus the chorus is so damn catchy I can't understand why every single morning I get up with that "You're Under Flaming Skiieeess" thing on my head resounding all day long :lol:
RazielSR wrote:Move The Mountain: I would lie if I say that I have not cried a bit with the song. It is a precious ballad. I like a lot what Jens try to say and here comes Jens again, the other side of Jens, that side similar to Winter Skies. I just can't believe how Jens has never composed more for Stratovarius. Well, I'm sure he did, but we know the rest. I just hope this man never stop making music, cause it is part of my life. The solo is amazing and different, that's innovation by Jens, it is different and shows the wide spectrum of ideas he have. How I love this song. The atmosphere is just oneiric.
By far one of the best ballads I've heard in a long time: With this and "Winter Skies" Stratovarius totally proves how well the new line-up can handle ballads
RasielSR wrote:Event Horizon: or how to release a modern song without losing your identity. Kind of frantic and speedy song with a lot of intrincate melodies and wonderful lyrics/vocals. Another song that all keyboards player should listen. The solo in the middle is just frantic, it is :shock: :shock: . Man I don't know how the Jensokeyboard can exist today after playing that :lol: .
That solo/duet/solo/duet is just so fucking eargasmic that everytime I listen to it I can't help smiling, and that's something it happens when a song really (and I mean really!) gets into me
|StratoFan Forever|

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:48 am

ggonza43 wrote:
RazielSR wrote:Under Flaming Skies: is the best song composed ever by TK with difference. I think the improvement in TK comes thanks to Matias too, cause from the very beginning this two guys fits really well while composing.
Plus the chorus is so damn catchy I can't understand why every single morning I get up with that "You're Under Flaming Skiieeess" thing on my head resounding all day long :lol:
Maybe there's something wrong with your cockleas.
---...---