A good keyboard/synthesizer to get

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
pimentel2
A good keyboard/synthesizer to get

Post by pimentel2 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:33 am

Alright, so lemme say some background information first. I'm 14, I used to play the clarinet in a marching band (the marching band broke up a few years ago), and I've decided that I'd like to learn the keyboard this summer, and after that, perhaps get a keytar.

Anyone recommend a good keyboard/synthesizer?

I'm thinking of this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Roland+-+AX ... &cp=1&lp=1

My friend who recommended that to me (he's in a Prog band)

So, any one actually have that?

Broccoli

Re: A good keyboard/synthesizer to get

Post by Broccoli » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:46 pm

Melodica or Synthaxe or midi wind controller.

pimentel2

Post by pimentel2 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:04 pm

Broccoli wrote:Melodica or Synthaxe or midi wind controller.
You can't be serious xD

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:30 pm

It depends. If you're gonna play in a band, buy the keytar.

If it's just as a hobby. Don't spend too much money on it.

Most of the time distributers sell them for half the price as opposed to retail. They don't generally sell to the public, though. You can always ask by sending an email or giving Roland a call. I used to work at Eastman Strings and we shipped stuff for free. Most of the instruments were shipped to schools or retail stores.

The company moved, and I got a free 3/4 cello. Not in the best condition, but playable. :)

pimentel2

Post by pimentel2 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:00 pm

NeverendingAbyss wrote:It depends. If you're gonna play in a band, buy the keytar.

If it's just as a hobby. Don't spend too much money on it.

Most of the time distributers sell them for half the price as opposed to retail. They don't generally sell to the public, though. You can always ask by sending an email or giving Roland a call. I used to work at Eastman Strings and we shipped stuff for free. Most of the instruments were shipped to schools or retail stores.

The company moved, and I got a free 3/4 cello. Not in the best condition, but playable. :)
Thanks for the advice! I'm planning on playing in a band, there's a crapload of 'em here! Haven't seen any Prog bands yet, so I met consider forming one...

Anyway, I'll ask Roland via email. Hopefully they have better support than HP....

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:19 pm

That Roland is good. Another one to look at is the Korg m50.

http://www.korg.com/product.aspx?pd=413

Either one will do it's job perfectly.

CES

Post by CES » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:54 am

Slight necrobump here but my main MIDI device died earlier on in the week and I figured "well, why not try something a bit different" so I went out and bought the RB3 keyboard. As it turns out, it's a rather fun little device. About the only irksome part is that the ribbon is natively mapped to modulation, not pitch which is a complete dick move.

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:12 am

CES wrote:Slight necrobump here but my main MIDI device died earlier on in the week and I figured "well, why not try something a bit different" so I went out and bought the RB3 keyboard. As it turns out, it's a rather fun little device. About the only irksome part is that the ribbon is natively mapped to modulation, not pitch which is a complete dick move.
Dismantle it and piss inside so the ribbon makes an automatic connection with the pitch controls. It is actually a matter of your piss' pH level.
---...---

CES

Post by CES » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:24 am

AGAG wrote:
CES wrote:Slight necrobump here but my main MIDI device died earlier on in the week and I figured "well, why not try something a bit different" so I went out and bought the RB3 keyboard. As it turns out, it's a rather fun little device. About the only irksome part is that the ribbon is natively mapped to modulation, not pitch which is a complete dick move.
Dismantle it and piss inside so the ribbon makes an automatic connection with the pitch controls. It is actually a matter of your piss' pH level.
Tempting. Or I could just reassign it in the DAW I use.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:22 pm

How much are you willing to spend? A better first instrument will inspire you to practise and experiment more, so going for the cheapest option isn't always the best idea.

Over-complex stuff isn't always a good idea, but then again I am clueless when it comes to such witchcraft.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:03 am

True. Most parents won't buy you a better first instrument though. :)
In my case, drums. Really noisy for parents. I had to join the school band in order to fulfill the itch. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CES

Post by CES » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:46 pm

NeonVomit wrote:A better first instrument will inspire you to practise and experiment more, so going for the cheapest option isn't always the best idea.
I can't stress this enough. If you buy the absolute minimum you simply won't have fun playing and as such you're less willing to learn. That's not to say you should run out and drop a few thousand on an instrument, that's just stupid until you're sure you can commit to the instrument.

The other important part of learning is to not sit and think "Well shit, how could I ever play that?", a common statement when you listen to the music that we all enjoy. It's never as complicated as it sounds, when you play enough seperate songs you'll simply know what works well and what doesn't.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:09 pm

Through this short time that i have been playing keyboards i've learned that my eye hand cordination is fucking bullshit. But i'll keep at it.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:37 am

As long as you are willing to see yourself play in a band, and always have that image, you will go far. :)

I haven't picked up my guitar in months. Last week I started playing it again and I'm learning Are you Dead Yet? by cobhc.

Feels good man. :)

I do have a crappy amp, though. I'll try to find a better one when I begin working again. 8)

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:21 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:
I do have a crappy amp, though. I'll try to find a better one when I begin working again. 8)
What do you need the amp for? Playing live shows, jamming with friends or just practising at home?
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:42 am

Mainly practicing at home.

The amp came with the guitar. It's a Fender Frostman 15 G. I think it was that $150 combo? I don't remember. It was a gift. :lol:

It's not a bad amp, to be honest. But I want a more advanced gear. I still have the Fender Squier Strat. It still works perfectly fine, but I had it for almost 7 years now.

I also have a Casio keyboard (for beginners [also over 7 years]), so I'm not quite sure which instrument I should upgrade.