Symphony X - Iconoclast

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
RazielSR
Symphony X - Iconoclast

Post by RazielSR » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:26 pm

During a brand new interview with DJ JC Green of Metal Messiah Radio's "Heavy Metal Thunder" show, vocalist Russell Allen of New Jersey's progressive metal masters SYMPHONY X revealed that the band has set "Iconoclast" as the title of its eighth album, due later this year via Nuclear Blast Records.

When asked what stage of the recording/mixing process the new CD is in, Allen replied, "We are in post-production, so the album is pretty much almost done. At this point, mixes are being wrapped up and finalized and it's off to mastering and should be ready for release in a few months — definitely first quarter of 2011. We've got the artworks all done, we're taking pictures next week... all that good stuff. So everything's on track for release pretty soon."

Regarding the sound of "Iconoclast" and how it compares to that of 2007's "Paradise Lost", Russell said, "Sonically, it's in the realm of that one in a way, in terms of the sound of things; the guitar sound is a little different. Basically, the album is pretty intense — probably the most intense record we've ever done; it's chock-full of riffs — tons of great riffs. It's heavy, the music, but the singing is very melodic in terms of its... the choruses are real strong, the verses are real strong, but I'm singing aggressively — a lot of that going on — 'cause the topic is, again, very dark; you know, that's what we do. So the album's very powerful. And, of course, we do have one song that's like a little mini-epic, so to speak, and it's the lightest — a light, light, light song. So there is a contrast on the record of that one song that has that sort of 'Paradise Lost' feel to it; it's a ballad, I guess, if you wanna call it that."

He continued, "This album will contain a good body of work that harkens back to a lot of early metal — some early metal — and a lot of SYMPHONY X standards that you guys know already, and a little bit of a newer sound, too, here and there — just a newer direction. Some of the singing parts, I tried some more rhythmic things that I was hearing that sounded pretty cool, and some different things that I'm doing with my voice now that are a little more looking to the future of what we hear the music going. It's just the next progression for us, where we are as writers and stuff, but it's pretty intense — it's way more intense than 'Paradise Lost', if you can believe that."

When asked about the "Iconoclast" lyrical concept, Russell said, "It is basically just the idea of machines taking over everything and all this technology we put our society into pretty much being our demise. It's a story we were all familiar with, but we put our own spin on it. It's not a linear story in terms of... This is just the theme of the record, so all the songs are in that theme, but they're not connected in any sort of story way — there's no characters of any of that stuff — it's just a theme. Like [PINK FLOYD's] 'The Dark Side Of The Moon', it's really just a theme of the dark side of the moon — one song deals with death, the other one deals with time... You know what I mean?! So it's the same kind of thing. I'm not comparing the two albums by any means — don't misunderstand me — but in terms of the idea of a concept, so to speak, the concept is there, but it's not a story record — not like [2002's] 'The Odyssey', where the song 'The Odyssey' is that story."

The entire interview will air on "Heavy Metal Thunder" in the next couple of weeks.

SYMPHONY X will embark on a North American headlining tour in April/May. Support on the trek will come from Seattle's NEVERMORE, Sweden's SOILWORK, Boston's POWERGLOVE and Montreal's BLACKGUARD. The trek will launch on April 21 in Philadelphia and wrap on May 22 in West Springfield, Virginia.

SYMPHONY X's last album, 2007's "Paradise Lost", has sold over 60,000 copies in North America.

Formed in 1994 in New Jersey, SYMPHONY X has seven studio albums and one live album to its credit.
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... adlines%29

YES!!!!!!!!!! The return of one of my fav bands!!!
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

AAAAAAAAAA

Re: Symphony X - Iconoclast

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:45 pm

When asked about the "Iconoclast" lyrical concept, Russell said, "It is basically just the idea of machines taking over everything and all this technology we put our society into pretty much being our demise.
:tired: :tired: :tired: :tired: :tired: :tired: :tired: :tired:

Uh..I think the Unibomber's manifesto already covered that topic pretty well.

I am getting so tired of these tremendous cliches. :repuke:

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:17 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
When asked about the "Iconoclast" lyrical concept, Russell said, "It is basically just the idea of machines taking over everything and all this technology we put our society into pretty much being our demise.

Would it be less worst if they talked about hippos?
---...---

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:54 pm

AGAG wrote:
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:

Would it be less worst if they talked about hippos?
Point well taken. :eyes

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:22 pm

YEAH MAN EARLY METAL!! It always seems when bands make new albums they have to say it's "A LOT LIKE OUR OLD ALBUMS!!!".
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Symphony X. Does anybody else see a pattern with what bands say nowadays? =P =P =P =P

PS
It looks like I should get some tickets for April 21 for Philly. :P :P :P :P

AAAAAAAAAAAA 3.0

Post by AAAAAAAAAAAA 3.0 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:26 am

robocop656 wrote:YEAH MAN EARLY METAL!! It always seems when bands make new albums they have to say it's "A LOT LIKE OUR OLD ALBUMS!!!".
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Symphony X. Does anybody else see a pattern with what bands say nowadays? =P =P =P =P

PS
It looks like I should get some tickets for April 21 for Philly. :P :P :P :P

Look Ray...alot of bands now days say the ol' "this album is just like the old stuff" or they will say "this is the best /heaviest/aggressive/complete/awesome album we have ever made!!!!" and they say the same thing every time a new album is released. :x :x

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:29 am

:winknudge: :spin3: :spin2: :spin1:
Well played Charles! Well played! March 1st: FINNTROLL/Ensiferum / Rotten Sound / Barren Earth. Finnish metal madness this year. AGAIN!!! Praise the lord!

AAAAAAAAAAAA 3.0

Post by AAAAAAAAAAAA 3.0 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:23 am

robocop656 wrote::winknudge: :spin3: :spin2: :spin1:
Well played Charles! Well played! March 1st: FINNTROLL/Ensiferum / Rotten Sound / Barren Earth. Finnish metal madness this year. AGAIN!!! Praise the lord!
Thanks Ray Z.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:54 am

:user:
:sex1: :sex1:

WHAT'S YOUR LAST NAME?

AAAAAAAAAAAA 3.0

Post by AAAAAAAAAAAA 3.0 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:03 am

robocop656 wrote::user:
:sex1: :sex1:

WHAT'S YOUR LAST NAME?
Well I wouldn't tell you that you silly goose!! :) :) :lol:

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:05 am

Kecos

Post by Kecos » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:31 am

a
Last edited by Kecos on Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:07 pm

YEEEEEEEEES! :D SX kicks so much ass.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Instead of mythologies and ancient epics, SX now goes all futuristic and scifi? Could be interesting. This band has yet to let me down. :)

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:21 pm

I didnt like the last Symphony X album......there was nothing new on it. now this one sounds interesting.., different guitar sound? it was about time dude.
A9

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:41 pm

I agree with Adrian9, I really liked V; The New Mythology Suite, the last one was without ideas, very very fast riffs (faster than Rage) and radio choruses and more than half of those songs were ended with a fade out, not coda.

If they want to write concept albums, they should learn from DT, Pink Floyd or Porcupine Tree.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:09 am

There are no rules to music buddy!! NO BOUNDARIES. Fadeout, coda, meow mix, it's all MUSIC.

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best..."
-Frank Zappa :~(

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:46 am

Ok, ok, it was just my opinion. IHMO music is connected to emotions (more or less), and I don't see any emotional sense of using fade out in metal, maybe at the and of the concept album, which could suggest that the story not ends.
For me fadeout it's the easiest way for a band to end a song.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:06 pm

last one was without ideas, very very fast riffs (faster than Rage) and radio choruses and more than half of those songs were ended with a fade out, not coda.

Those are pretty broad categories.
fast riffs, as supposed to what? slower riffs?
radio chorus, as supposed to what? dissonance or no chorus? no sense of melody or rhythm?what is a radio chorus anyway?

TwilightEagle

Post by TwilightEagle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Fade out is very common in Power/Melodic Metal in these days. For me it doesn't matter how the song ends. If the song is good or bad, the fade out or coda doesn't make it any better or worser.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:06 pm

pneumonia wrote:Ok, ok, it was just my opinion. IHMO music is connected to emotions (more or less), and I don't see any emotional sense of using fade out in metal, maybe at the and of the concept album, which could suggest that the story not ends.
For me fadeout it's the easiest way for a band to end a song.
yeah I see what you mean bro´.
but then again, how that makes bad an album or a song?.
maybe is a no-brainier, and I dont like it so much myself....but listen to eagleheart!! :lol:

I didnt like SYMX "paradise..." because it was more of the same stuff they being doing for years...I already have Olympus and V ...why should I listen another copy of yourself? ..shit.
A9

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:46 pm

so what other symphony x song has the lyrics and chorus melody to set the world on fire? if nothing is new, there should be another song with the same melody and lyrics in the least. if there was really nothing new, the song would be the recorded song of a previous album. why do people not count variation as new?

KupiainenItaly96

Post by KupiainenItaly96 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:13 am

Symphony X is the greatest band of the world with Rhapsody and Strato (in a virtuoso scale the best with Malmsteen and Rhapsody).
4 years for an album, is very strange, especially after Paradise Lost, but I expect the album in April or March and I think that is similar to V:The New Mythology Suite, but more lectronic and with more effects and sperimentation in the guitar sound, also Domination (Paradise Lost song) has riffs, solos and other guitar parts with different sound foor the effects.
So can't wait!

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:23 am

Why did I put a period after an exclamation point? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Where's victor when you need to know the catalog number for this CD?

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:02 pm

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8czvj8PEwJM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8czvj8PEwJM?fs=1&amp;hl=es_ES" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

:) :) :) :) :)
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:34 pm

This is maybe the cover of the album: Image

I like it a lot.

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:26 pm

I like that song. :)

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:23 pm

RazielSR wrote:<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8czvj8PEwJM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8czvj8PEwJM?fs=1&amp;hl=es_ES" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

It's always been hard to believe these guys are from the shithole known as New Jersey. :lol:
The song sounds more promising than symfartia......IMHO. :x :x :x :x

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:39 pm

robocop656 wrote:
RazielSR wrote:<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8czvj8PEwJM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8czvj8PEwJM?fs=1&amp;hl=es_ES" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

It's always been hard to believe these guys are from the shithole known as New Jersey. :lol:
The song sounds more promising than symfartia......IMHO. :x :x :x :x
What's wrong with NJ? :lol:

I love this band. Allen has been always for me the best singer out there by far, technically. Damn, when he sings his notes are really loud even having the microphone 1 meter away.

This album is gonna kick ass, like all their albums. This band is amazing and play in another league.
My fav band with Strato and DT.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:55 pm

Most of New Jersey smells and looks like a huge garbage dump REALLY bad like most big cities here and is populated with scumbags. 'MURRICUUUH.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x0d0pQgLNws?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x0d0pQgLNws?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>