The movie you hate, but everyone else seems to love

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
HinatAArcticA
The movie you hate, but everyone else seems to love

Post by HinatAArcticA » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:47 am

As a complement to the other topic :)

The Social Network

Really, when I heard they were going to make a movie about Facebook, I didn't understand why, and when I saw it in the movie, I didn't get it either. Acting was... ok, Andrew Garfield was the best to me, the plot was predictable, the characters as well, and overall, I just didn't understan the hype about the movie. Just because David Fincher directed it?

Then it wins golden globes and gets 8 nominations in the Oscars. The movie isn't bad, but It's not a masterpiece either. To me, it was nothing more than a BIG commercial for the theaters.

"Look, here's Facebook, it's awesome and if you don't have an account, what are you wating for?"

But.. everyone else seems to like it :lol:
I sure didn't

Mormegil

Re: The movie you hate, but everyone else seems to love

Post by Mormegil » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:19 am

I don't necessarily hate, but I don't share enthusiasm for:

-Woody Allen films
-Large portion of film noir
-Stalker
-The Hurt Locker

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:48 pm

The only one I can think of right now is Titanic.

There are movies that have a huge hype but I just can't understand why - The Dark Knight, Inception, Social Network ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:45 pm

How did you like the newest NC Hinata? 8)

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:38 pm

Kosmo wrote:How did you like the newest NC Hinata? 8)
I don't know... I don't like NC as much as befoere. Still I thought it was a good idea to steal these topics and bring them here from their forum :lol:

Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:28 am

Who is the greatest actor?

Arnold Layne

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:39 am

Eat, Pray, Love. I wanted to shoot myself in the face.

Juno. Jesus fucking christ, I almost had an aneurysm. Independent film-making, my ass.

The Butterfly Effect. 'Hey! Basically, I should never have been born at all! You just wasted 2 hours of your life!'

Forrest Gump. For perpetuating the belief that in America, the American Dream will come to you as long as you're honest, even if you're a complete moron. No, if you're honest but a complete moron you'll get eaten alive by the competition. I defy you to name me honest men who make it into the Forbes 500.

The Devil's Rejects. An exceptional effort at making the anti-heroes of the film the most irritating, annoying and dislikable characters in the whole story. An anti-hero is someone you identify with despite (or maybe because of) their questionable morals and alternative views of the world; Captain Spaulding's crew were just a bunch of disturbed freaks (i.e., not identifiable with) who deserved the most horrible endings imaginable. They didn't symbolise anything or represent anyone real, just sadistically tortured and murdered people for no apparent reason. And I fucking wanted to strangle Rob Zombie's wife for that grating, screeching cackle of hers. I actually felt happy when they all got shot to pieces at the end; I'm pretty sure that's not what Rob Zombie intended. House of a Thousand Corpses was a pretty fun, brainless horror film that worked because it didn't take itself too seriously, but with the sequel it seemed that Zombie was trying to make some sort of social commentary, and failed spectacularly. And as for playing Freebird during the final sequence? Oh fuck off.

The Passion of the Christ. Parker & Stone say it all better than I ever could.

Invictus. For anyone possessed of even the barest of knowledge about South Africa, just embarrassing to watch. Or as Matt Cale put it, South Africa for Dummies.

The Reader. What a load of shit.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:16 am

NeonVomit wrote: Forrest Gump. For perpetuating the belief that in America, the American Dream will come to you as long as you're honest, even if you're a complete moron. No, if you're honest but a complete moron you'll get eaten alive by the competition. I defy you to name me honest men who make it into the Forbes 500.
Very well said! :lol:

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:00 pm

The Butterfly Effect. 'Hey! Basically, I should never have been born at all! You just wasted 2 hours of your life!'
It's of the worst movies I've ever seen. I didn't mention it because it doesn't seem to be all that popular. It has no point and it has Ashton fucking Kutcher sucking the life from everyone else in the movie.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:49 am

Shurik wrote:
It's of the worst movies I've ever seen. I didn't mention it because it doesn't seem to be all that popular. It has no point and it has Ashton fucking Kutcher sucking the life from everyone else in the movie.
Well, then the movie was true to life---ask Demi! :lol:
Seriously, I thought The Butterfly Effect was kinda stupid, too. It was trying to go to places not often gone before and wound up sort of a mockery. Really weird. :err:

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:06 am

eat pray love, is easily the worst chick flick ever.
passion of J.C. too intense.
the hurt locker break my ball, the americanysm is just too much to handle. the love of war and stuff, that is why that film got an oscar instead of AVATAR, can you believe that crap?

on the other hand. the dark knight is the best shit ever. classic.
A9

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:38 am

adrian9 wrote: the hurt locker break my ball, the americanysm is just too much to handle. the love of war and stuff, that is why that film got an oscar instead of AVATAR, can you believe that crap?
I can believe it.

Avatar's story was something a child would have come up with. It was so simplistic and predictable, but then again the audience didn't go to see Avatar because of its story, and James Cameron surely didn't make Avatar for the story. It was an impressive cinematic achievement and definitely pushed the boundaries of what we can expect in films, but not for some innovative plotlines or character development.

As for the Dark Knight, probably the best superhero film yet made, and will take some beating.

I don't think I need to dissect anything Twilight.

J.S. Bach

Post by J.S. Bach » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:59 am

I hate that Mozart Amadeus... the plot is so Carnivorous and Vapid. :x

Wolfgang Amadeus Moz

Post by Wolfgang Amadeus Moz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:20 am

J.S. Bach wrote:I hate that Mozart Amadeus... the plot is so Carnivorous and Vapid. :x
I have something else carnivorous and vapid for you.

FUCK YOU!!

-Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
or "WAM", for short

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:54 pm

Please do. Quality Twilight bashing never gets old :lol:

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:04 pm

Inception. :yuk:

I don't hate The Dark Knight, but I really don't understand what's so special about it. I'm more into Burton's Batman films.

J.S. Bach

Post by J.S. Bach » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:07 pm

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart wrote:
J.S. Bach wrote:I hate that Mozart Amadeus... the plot is so Carnivorous and Vapid. :x
I have something else carnivorous and vapid for you.

FUCK YOU!!

-Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
or "WAM", for short
:lol: :lol:

Easy tiger! :roll: You don't want to turn this into a blind-fold contest, do you? :roll:

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:32 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
adrian9 wrote: the hurt locker break my ball, the americanysm is just too much to handle. the love of war and stuff, that is why that film got an oscar instead of AVATAR, can you believe that crap?
I can believe it.

Avatar's story was something a child would have come up with. It was so simplistic and predictable, but then again the audience didn't go to see Avatar because of its story, and James Cameron surely didn't make Avatar for the story. It was an impressive cinematic achievement and definitely pushed the boundaries of what we can expect in films, but not for some innovative plotlines or character development.

As for the Dark Knight, probably the best superhero film yet made, and will take some beating.

yeah the avatar story is about the take james did to the old good vs evil stuff. but if you are not moved by the images and the pace of the history you are not alive. and in the end that movie leave you a nice message. what the fuck does hurt locker does, praise war and how great is the USA army....fuck that , the oscar belongs to AVATAR.
A9

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:12 am

Carcass wrote:Inception. :yuk:

I don't hate The Dark Knight, but I really don't understand what's so special about it. I'm more into Burton's Batman films.
Amen to that. Burton's films were classics and enjoyable ones at that. The latest Batman films are like particularly bad hangovers to me. Batman is supposed to be comedic escapism with a gothic flavour, not deluded grim "realism" (how realistic is a guy wearing a mask and a cape anyway?) I think the last two Batman films completely missed the mark. It was a chore to finish watching them.

Another film that really disappointed me was Lost in Translation. Everybody loved it, but I still don't see the appeal. Only one scene stands out, the one where Bill Murray is trying to sell Suntory whiskey. During the rest of the film I really felt like "Did I just buy a ticket for that?"

Oh yeah, the cinematography and music are fine... and Sofia Coppola seems to be a nice enough person; maybe that's it. I don't know, but it's almost an obsession for me. How can a film that everyone liked - and still likes - so much leave me cold in such an epic manner? Help me out here. What's the appeal of that film?

Ciao,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:27 am

Damien Thorn wrote:How can a film that everyone liked - and still likes - so much leave me cold in such an epic manner? Help me out here. What's the appeal of that film?
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8590/asdoy.jpg

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:37 pm

Mormegil wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:How can a film that everyone liked - and still likes - so much leave me cold in such an epic manner? Help me out here. What's the appeal of that film?
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8590/asdoy.jpg
:lol:

Yes, certainly! But there are far better films for that kind of thing...

Cheers,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:16 am

Damien Thorn wrote: Amen to that. Burton's films were classics and enjoyable ones at that. The latest Batman films are like particularly bad hangovers to me. Batman is supposed to be comedic escapism with a gothic flavour, not deluded grim "realism" (how realistic is a guy wearing a mask and a cape anyway?) I think the last two Batman films completely missed the mark. It was a chore to finish watching them.
The new films take themselves a lot more seriously, and I think that's why they're cool - if you go into them expecting Adam West doing slapstick then you're bound to be disappointed. I don't think a story about a kid whose parents are murdered in front of him who then grows up to fight the Mafia, corruption and psychopathic mass-murderers can really be seen as comedic escapism.

Using the superhero movie genre as something more than a pure action fun-fest and to actually study characters and how they develop was a pretty brave thing to do and I think Christopher Nolan pulled it off really well. Also, don't forget a lot of the buzz was about Heath Ledger's performance which was pretty damn mindblowing.

Damien Thorn

Batman nowadays...

Post by Damien Thorn » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:10 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote: Amen to that. Burton's films were classics and enjoyable ones at that. The latest Batman films are like particularly bad hangovers to me. Batman is supposed to be comedic escapism with a gothic flavour, not deluded grim "realism" (how realistic is a guy wearing a mask and a cape anyway?) I think the last two Batman films completely missed the mark. It was a chore to finish watching them.
The new films take themselves a lot more seriously, and I think that's why they're cool - if you go into them expecting Adam West doing slapstick then you're bound to be disappointed. I don't think a story about a kid whose parents are murdered in front of him who then grows up to fight the Mafia, corruption and psychopathic mass-murderers can really be seen as comedic escapism.

Using the superhero movie genre as something more than a pure action fun-fest and to actually study characters and how they develop was a pretty brave thing to do and I think Christopher Nolan pulled it off really well. Also, don't forget a lot of the buzz was about Heath Ledger's performance which was pretty damn mindblowing.
Donald Duck is a single guy trying to score with that hot squeeze Daisy Duck whilst trying to bring up his three little orphaned nephews. That's hardly the Brady Bunch either. But wait, there's even something unconventional about the Brady Bunch, with Carol being single. Wasn't she a divorcée? Likewise, the murder of Bruce Wayne's parents is just there as a necessary precondition for the story. After all, there are no stories in a perfect world. Therefore, domestic bliss is always the first thing to be disturbed or disappear. Hell, that even happened on the first pages of The Hobbit and Harry Potter...

If Christopher Nolan pulled off character development so very well, then why is the protagonist himself still a character as flat as a pancake - or a pizza margharita? Central themes in Batman are justice and vindication, and those concepts are hardly even touched upon. All we get is a drab and obligatory psychological rationale for why Bruce Wayne became The Batman, which - effectively - renders the entire venture even more ridiculous than if the director had decided to dispense with such psychological archaelogy. Michel Houellebecq wrote about breaking the boundaries of fiction in his novel Elementary Particles, and I think Chris Nolan is guilty of that in the latest two Batman films. He is trying to make Batman "real", which is about as pointless as trying to make a realistic version of Peter Pan. Oh gee, I hope I didn't inspire anyone...

As far as Heath Ledger goes: he did a decent job playing the joker, but I can't help feeling that his status as an actor has been somewhat inflated by his untimely death. The same goes for Kurt Cobain. In a culture that is obsessed with sacrifice and death, we turn these people into contemporary religious icons, aka T-shirts. As a humanist, that never ceases to amaze me...

Cheers,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:46 pm

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QsogswrH6ck?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QsogswrH6ck?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:12 am

NeonVomit wrote:<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QsogswrH6ck?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QsogswrH6ck?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Okay, good one...

Cheerio,

Damien

PS: Excellent film, by the way... The Big Lebowski...
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane