Sonata Arctica Second DVD Recorded

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
pneumonia
Re: Sonata Arctica Second DVD Recorded

Post by pneumonia » Sat May 07, 2011 9:19 pm

Are you kidding??!! The Days of Grays is the only SA I listen with pleasure! Unia it was an experiment like "Twist in the Myth" BG which I approve but don't listen :) Those early album sounds like an average copy of Stratovarius&early Nightwish

I only agree with those opinions that TDoG has a lack of good guitar, but I think next SA will kick all asses

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Sun May 08, 2011 10:50 pm

I seriously don't see that big of a similarity between Strato and Sonata. Ecliptica has some songs and parts which resemble Strato but that's it.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:30 am

Kosmo wrote:I seriously don't see that big of a similarity between Strato and Sonata. Ecliptica has some songs and parts which resemble Strato but that's it.
are you deaf?

visions, ecliptica and oceanborn are almost the same shit. the same period also.
A9

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Mon May 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Then i must be deaf. I just can't for example hear Strato playing something like 8th Commandment.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:09 pm

Kosmo wrote:Then i must be deaf. I just can't for example hear Strato playing something like 8th Commandment.
the equivalent of 8th commandment can be heard on songs like phoenix, or father time, of course is not exactly the same,but you can hear a formula there.
A9

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon May 09, 2011 8:53 pm

adrian9 wrote:
Kosmo wrote:Then i must be deaf. I just can't for example hear Strato playing something like 8th Commandment.
the equivalent of 8th commandment can be heard on songs like phoenix, or father time, of course is not exactly the same,but you can hear a formula there.
Speed of Light anyone?

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:33 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Speed of Light anyone?
hell yeah!! there you have it "the blueprint".
A9

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:25 am

i would not confuse a tollki solo for a jani solo or a mikko solo for a jens solo. the lyrics are a huge difference between the two and the lyrical themes.
there is not anything that was not already there in the 80s or even the 1700s that the two bands use. tk never sings the way kakko sings and kakk0o writes different types of melodies and uses his own backing vocals differently. stratovarius does not have a song form like full moon or the use of piano like fullmoon or san sebestain.
with ballads like letter to dana or replica, i really have not heard stratovarius do anything like those

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:17 pm

icecab21 wrote:i would not confuse a tollki solo for a jani solo or a mikko solo for a jens solo. the lyrics are a huge difference between the two and the lyrical themes.
there is not anything that was not already there in the 80s or even the 1700s that the two bands use. tk never sings the way kakko sings and kakk0o writes different types of melodies and uses his own backing vocals differently. stratovarius does not have a song form like full moon or the use of piano like fullmoon or san sebestain.
with ballads like letter to dana or replica, i really have not heard stratovarius do anything like those
of course brother, but you are talking about the details that make each band unique. we are talking about the structure and the overall sound of certain power metal songs from that period (late 90s)
if you check those albums (oceanborn, visions, ecliptica, edguy´s vain glory opera) you can hear a certaing type of songwriting, and on the overall they sound pretty much the same.
A9

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Music IS the details.
the song form and instrumentation of full moon is structure.
i thought people were talking about albums, an album need to be taken as a whole, not just pick a song or two. you have to give bands something without just clumping them into groups and saying they just copied one without recognize what they added or subtracted or the bands own personality. otherwise lions and tigers just become "cats" rather than different species and Siberian and Bengals just become "tigers".

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:40 pm

icecab21 wrote:Music IS the details.
the song form and instrumentation of full moon is structure.
i thought people were talking about albums, an album need to be taken as a whole, not just pick a song or two. you have to give bands something without just clumping them into groups and saying they just copied one without recognize what they added or subtracted or the bands own personality. otherwise lions and tigers just become "cats" rather than different species and Siberian and Bengals just become "tigers".
did I wrote the word "copy" somewhere?....no!
yes we are talking about the album as a whole, the hapsicord sound that is almost omnipresent in any of this records I mentioned. the same progressions, the same drum sound, the same guitar sound, etc etc.
im not talking that full moon in on G# and black diamond is in C# or the lyrics like letter to dana is like black diamond is like scarlet rose......etc
what im trying to say is that in that particular period of time, the albums that were released in the late 90s , had a particular same sound !...i would not explain the same shit again.

A9

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue May 10, 2011 7:41 pm

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:17 am

they don't use the same equipment or patches or mixing or mastering or production

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Wed May 11, 2011 5:02 pm

Lyrics were also the first thing that popped into my mind, but yeah i guess you can hear it in the basic song structure. Guess i latch onto the smaller details and miss the big picture.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:14 pm

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LF65kLQqm1A?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LF65kLQqm1A?ve ... p;hl=es_MX" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:44 am

Got the DVD today and only listened for a few min, butt...

The band is sloppy, Tony Kakko can't sing live, and it sounds like the Blank File vocals (at least) are overdubbed. :buh:

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:03 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Got the DVD today and only listened for a few min, butt...

The band is sloppy, Tony Kakko can't sing live, and it sounds like the Blank File vocals (at least) are overdubbed. :buh:
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:06 am

YAWN. What band is this? Sounds like a bunch of Mexican jumping beans.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LAGL2Ab5yAk?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LAGL2Ab5yAk?ve ... p;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:56 am

The band is playing just fine, I wouldn't say they were sloppy, but For the Sake of Revenge was a lot better I think. Especially the setlist. Sure you can never please everybody, but not a single track from Silence?
The documents from South American and Finnish tours were a pain to watch though (except for the masterpiece Train of America), they were shot with cell phone cameras and edited by drunken metal musicians and that's what they look like. :lol:

Derrick Rose

Post by Derrick Rose » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:23 am

There is video of Tony Kakko singing the same song from this year, very well! Dubbing might have been since it is a live DVD, but this is nothing compared to some Megadeth concerts recently, believe me! :lol:

Derrick Rose is not a fan of this MIX, how a DVD mix can be bad I don't know! :?

CCCCCCCC
Location:I had 4 biscuits, then I ate one, now I only have 3

Post by CCCCCCCC » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:12 am

Derrick Rose wrote:

There is video of Tony Kakko singing the same song from this year, very well! Dubbing might have been since it is a live DVD, but this is nothing compared to some Megadeth concerts recently, believe me! :lol:

Derrick Rose is not a fan of this MIX, how a DVD mix can be bad I don't know! :?
Oh yea nigga daves vocals on the rust in peace live are overdubbed.The whole sound of that dvd sounds muffled vocals are too loud drums sound shitty and muffled etc. :) :) :) :? :? :shock: :shock:

GAGAGO

Post by GAGAGO » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:28 am

And to little ACCORDIONS. HUH!