Going to my first metal concert!! :) - Have some questions

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
pimentel2
Going to my first metal concert!! :) - Have some questions

Post by pimentel2 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:09 pm

I'm going to my first metal concert (I'm 14) (teehee, of course, VIP tickets!) and it's a small gig (The Palladium) with Kamelot, Alestorm, Blackguard, and The Agonist.

So far 270 people have bought tickets, show is in less than two weeks - so, my questions:

Ear plugs? Are these necessary? I've been to a pop concert before (ugh, my mom dragged me) - sound wasn't even close to loud. And there was well over a thousand people!

Also, how bad will the moshing me, if any?

Here's a video of Epica playing at the venue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO1j86baNeM

Rebel

Re: Going to my first metal concert!! :) - Have some questions

Post by Rebel » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:18 pm

Bring Ear plugs, ALWAYS bring ear plugs, I never did and it destroyed my hearing. You don't have to use them, but have them, and know how to use them.

As far as moshing, it's power metal, I've never seen a power metal concert get rowdy, and I've seen Crimson Glory, Stratovarius, and Blind Guardian.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:52 am

Rebel wrote:Bring Ear plugs, ALWAYS bring ear plugs.
+1. Especially if you are standing right beside the amps.

Tero-75

Post by Tero-75 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:58 am

Like Rebel said, protect your hearing! They WILL play loud, or propbaly even louder so you will hear well enough even with ear plugs. The noise may be over 115dB!

I've been to over 100 gigs in past 4-5 years seeing bands like Stratovarius, Sabaton, AC/DC, Nightwish, Iron Maiden etc, both big stadion gigs and small club gigs. 99% of them have gone without any problems. There are always few drunken people who just have to push their way to the front row no matter what, but just step aside and that's it. People may also start jumping and moshing around when they get carried away but they mean no harm with it. Again, just step aside.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:41 am

Rebel wrote:Bring Ear plugs, ALWAYS bring ear plugs, I never did and it destroyed my hearing. You don't have to use them, but have them, and know how to use them.
I agree. Always use protection your first time. :)

pimentel2

Post by pimentel2 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:32 am

Thanks! What kind of earplugs? Will those jackhammer earplugs work? xD (my dad has a spare of those) - or will those $6 earplugs from the big chain Pharmacys work?

My parents have been to concerts, they think its unnecessary to wear ear plugs to this one :/ I'll be sure to buy earplugs for me though. I <3 my hearing

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:58 am

pimentel2 wrote:Thanks! What kind of earplugs? Will those jackhammer earplugs work? xD (my dad has a spare of those) - or will those $6 earplugs from the big chain Pharmacys work?

My parents have been to concerts, they think its unnecessary to wear ear plugs to this one :/ I'll be sure to buy earplugs for me though. I <3 my hearing
the pharmacy earplugs should work, but I recommend getting the foam earplugs, instead of the gel earplugs. Look for 25-30dB reduction.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:23 am

Actually, I recommend the "pull-out" technique. Its 100% effective, 30% of the time! :)

perv

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:25 am

Unless you want to bet on medical science advancing to the point of being able to restore your hearing for affordable price by the time you are old, then yeah, you should definitely bring earplugs. The cheap pharmacy earplugs work just fine, but if you want to get the best experience, music stores sell special earplugs that don't 'muffle' sound levels the wrong way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earplug#Mu ... 7_earplugs

I bought mine for 27€ (that's, uh... 38.8449 US dollars) but you can find cheaper ones too.

Violent moshpit isn't usually a problem at power metal gigs.

Tero-75

Post by Tero-75 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:43 am

pimentel2 wrote:Thanks! What kind of earplugs? Will those jackhammer earplugs work? xD (my dad has a spare of those) - or will those $6 earplugs from the big chain Pharmacys work?
I prefer these kind of shaped foam ear plugs, they're quite comfortable to use no one will accidentaly pull them away
pimentel2 wrote: My parents have been to concerts, they think its unnecessary to wear ear plugs to this one :/ I'll be sure to buy earplugs for me though. I <3 my hearing
Well obviously your parents have never been to heavy concert :D Like I said, the noise can be over 115dB (I've got this Nokia cell phone with dB meter with 115dB limit and it has often hit the top).

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:23 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Rebel wrote:Bring Ear plugs, ALWAYS bring ear plugs, I never did and it destroyed my hearing. You don't have to use them, but have them, and know how to use them.
But that ruins all the fun :twisted:
---...---

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:15 am

AGAG wrote:
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
I'm going to cut the crap and just say it: if you don't use earplugs, you risk pregnancy. :nervous:

Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:03 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
AGAG wrote:
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
I'm going to cut the crap and just say it: if you don't use earplugs, you risk pregnancy. :nervous:
That is a lye. You are a lye-er.

Arnold Layne

pimentel2

Post by pimentel2 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Thanks for the help everyone! :) My ears will be sure to thank you. Concert is tomorrow!!!!!

KAMELOT, ALESTORM, BLACKGUARD AND THE AGONIST! <33

Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:56 pm

Who is talking now? Your ears, or your ass?

Arnold Layne