New Stratovarius drummer (your thoughts or preferences)

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Koskenkorvasieni
Re: New Stratovarius drummer (your thoughts or preferences)

Post by Koskenkorvasieni » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:43 am

Peter Wildoer seems like a really talented musician and based on the clip in the first post also a really easy-going and friendly guy. He'd be a good choice.

Don't know about Mirka Rantanen, I think he's too busy playing childrens music. :D

Anders Johansson is with Hammerfall.

So my guess is either Peter W, or a young unknown talent. 8)

I just hope that whoever they get is the right choice for THEM, cause in the end it's the band's decision, not the fans.

foerg

Post by foerg » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:21 am

Koskenkorvasieni wrote:cause in the end it's the band's decision, not the fans.
that has never kept us away from discussing about something...

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:27 am

foerg wrote:
Koskenkorvasieni wrote:cause in the end it's the band's decision, not the fans.
that has never kept us away from discussing about something...
:lol: True.

Yeah, as I said these are just our thoughts or preferences. That's all. Maybe...even they know yet who the new drummer is gonna be.

Do you think they'll announce it after of before Jörg's farewell tour?
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:51 am

Again: Peter WIldoer is way good for this band, he needs something challenging and the drumming in Stratovarius is not challenging at all.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:09 am

eternity_strato wrote:Again: Peter WIldoer is way good for this band, he needs something challenging and the drumming in Stratovarius is not challenging at all.
I saw what you posted and yes, I agree. I knew that, but if you see for example Elysium (the song), it is more challenging that the same speed double bass over and over again. If the new direction is a bit more complex, then you have it, but well who knows...
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:23 am

RazielSR wrote:
eternity_strato wrote:Again: Peter WIldoer is way good for this band, he needs something challenging and the drumming in Stratovarius is not challenging at all.
I saw what you posted and yes, I agree. I knew that, but if you see for example Elysium (the song), it is more challenging that the same speed double bass over and over again. If the new direction is a bit more complex, then you have it, but well who knows...
I completely agree. And I think I said it when Elysium was released: that the drum parts in Elysium were the first that surprised me, because in stratovarius, drumming was meaning endless double kick drum at full speed or some regular beat. (maybe except Season of Change). Even the drumming made by Lassila was more interesting but not that "spectacular".

foerg

Post by foerg » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:45 am

Rebel wrote:On a more serious note, what would Tolkki do if Alex Landenberg upgraded bands?
that would definitely heat up the whole situation...

but alex really did a good job during the first part of the tour!

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Some prog-oriented Finnish drummer who can compose some Progressive Symphonic Power Metal would definately be apreciated. (Finnish because of geographical reasons)

foerg

Post by foerg » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:56 pm

not agree!
there must be some german influence in the band...!

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:55 pm

foerg wrote:not agree!
there must be some german influence in the band...!
Thomen Stauch?
I'm a Blind Guardian fanatic, so I'm only half joking. :D He's style may have too much thrash metal influence for Stratovarius..?

Aquiles Priester is a fantastic drummer, but I'm not sure if his style being so different from Jörg would sit well with the band and/or the fans.

Peter Wildoer I only know from the DT audition videos, but I think he is my favourite of all the suggestions here so far.

ClauVille

Post by ClauVille » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:19 pm

there are a lot of amazing drummers but I want MIRKA RANTANEN !! I like ALEX LANDENBURG too :)

Raven

Post by Raven » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:28 pm

browneyedgirl wrote: Wasn't he in an orchestra? Doing percussion? That's a pretty classy job!
As far I've heard, he has also played at the "Metal Gods" cover band.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/252/26895471.jpg
picture is taken at 2009.

RckteerGZ

Post by RckteerGZ » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:51 pm

Koskenkorvasieni wrote:Peter Wildoer seems like a really talented musician and based on the clip in the first post also a really easy-going and friendly guy. He'd be a good choice.

Don't know about Mirka Rantanen, I think he's too busy playing childrens music. :D

I just hope that whoever they get is the right choice for THEM, cause in the end it's the band's decision, not the fans.
i mean WHAT!? Peter Wildoer a young/unknown talent? dude that's wrong! he played for Time Requiem, Richard Andersson's project, he played for PESTILENCE, he plays with Darkane, he recorded LaBrie's latest album (Static Impulse)... he had done SEVERAL recording sessions, and plus, he's OLD... i'm not saying he can't/won't play power metal, but... he's way recognized.

About Mirka Rantanen; that would be a quite nice choice, even tho he's with Warmen and Thunderstone already, but those bands aren't as active

Anders would be a great great choice, actually, he was called when Jörg was unable to play due to the chemotherapy, but he was recording HF's latest album (very good btw)

the BEST of choices would be Aquiles Priester, he's... the most powerful icon around in the power metal scene, plus, he's not only a powermetal drummer, he's the most versatile metal drummer.

or a new talent, why not?...

www.facebook.com/aesthesisofficial

thefreeone

Post by thefreeone » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:12 pm

RckteerGZ wrote:
Koskenkorvasieni wrote:Peter Wildoer seems like a really talented musician and based on the clip in the first post also a really easy-going and friendly guy. He'd be a good choice.

i mean WHAT!? Peter Wildoer a young/unknown talent? dude that's wrong! he played for Time Requiem, Richard Andersson's project, he played for PESTILENCE, he plays with Darkane, he recorded LaBrie's latest album (Static Impulse)... he had done SEVERAL recording sessions, and plus, he's OLD... i'm not saying he can't/won't play power metal, but... he's way recognized.

About Mirka Rantanen; that would be a quite nice choice, even tho he's with Warmen and Thunderstone already, but those bands aren't as active

Anders would be a great great choice, actually, he was called when Jörg was unable to play due to the chemotherapy, but he was recording HF's latest album (very good btw)

the BEST of choices would be Aquiles Priester, he's... the most powerful icon around in the power metal scene, plus, he's not only a powermetal drummer, he's the most versatile metal drummer.

come on, please read the post once again i know you'll do it fine this time!!!!! :lol: :lol:

RckteerGZ

Post by RckteerGZ » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:50 pm

excuse! i SUCK @Forum-ing sorry.

but Aquiles Priester, he's my choice i'd say.

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:54 am

AQUILES PRIESTER is the god damned beast!!...100% fits with the actual aproach of Stratovarius, Power metal with progresive influences, I mean just hear Temple of Shadows of Angra...you can't compete with that, also he's a headbanger, you can listen that with HANGAR wich is a traditional Heavy Metal band. If you are looking for more progressive stuff, check out FREAKEYS...YOU HAVE TO CONTACT HIM!!!

DON'T TELL THAT DOESN'T FIT, HE HITS THE SNARE LIKE HE'S PLAYING WITH A HAMMER:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDcdVfcPDaI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NNsInqa ... re=related

Invencible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lBxQ2k6 ... re=related

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:08 am

or Bruno Agra , :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:34 am

thefreeone wrote:
RckteerGZ wrote:

come on, please read the post once again i know you'll do it fine this time!!!!! :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:23 am

What?! Jorg is gone? I'm so sad to hear it. :(

Well, Mike Portnoy's out of a job. I wouldn't mind seeing him as Strato's new drummer. That would be kinda ironic at the same time, considering how Jens tried out for DT and didn't make the cut.

I realize they probably don't play exactly the same style of music, but a girl can dream, can't she? ;)

emperor_black

Post by emperor_black » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:51 am

I had forgotten Aquiles! yeah, he'd fit perfectly with Strato now... and I believe he could help the guys reach a whole new level... we'll see!

Jabi

Post by Jabi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:58 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:
Jabi wrote:Bring back Lassila!
Wasn't he in an orchestra? Doing percussion? That's a pretty classy job!
Yep, I think he still is. :)

I don't seriously believe he'll be coming back though. First off, he was fired because of musical differences as he never liked the modern Stratovarius style Tolkki was starting to develop. He was more into the sound of the first 4 albums.

Secondly, he's (apparently) involved in the Return to Dreamspace project.

RckteerGZ

Post by RckteerGZ » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:10 pm

this is why Aquiles Priester is more and more convincent everyday :oops: :ola:

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:35 am

My choices would be these people

Aquiles priester cause he's just awesome

Toumo Lassila for nostalgia reasons and also because I personally believe that he's a great drummer and shouldn't have been fired in the first place.

Tommy portimo and yes I know he's Sonata arctica's drummer but hey I've seen drummers pull double duty before.

Junichi and I also realize that he drums for Galneryus however I use the same reasoning I do for Portimo.

And last but certainly not least Thomen Stauch, his drumming is awesome and I'm sure he'd add some omph.

if not any of these fine fellows then I would say they should get a relative unknown, anyways my two cents again
metal feeds the beast

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:20 pm

We want Lassila!!! and more old songs on the setlists! :)

Ilsekena

Post by Ilsekena » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:15 pm

eternity_strato wrote:We want Lassila!!! and more old songs on the setlists! :)
+1000000000000000
YESYESYESYEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!

khm. Yes :)

TheLegendaryDreamer

Post by TheLegendaryDreamer » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:57 pm

How about Power Quest's old drummer, Francesco Tresca? He's very Stratovarius. He played on this song.

Edit: Maybe not since he has a different nationality. But one can dream :D.

RckteerGZ

Post by RckteerGZ » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:10 pm

what about Eloy Casagrande? he's just 20 or something and he's GREAT at drumming.

he played drums with Andre Matos solo CD and it's really good!

or Edguy's/Avantasia Drummer... would be; German, Solid, and German.

:cowbell:

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:25 am

What about arnold layne? He is known for his heavy sound. I'm sure he would fit inside stratovarius. Very tightly.
---...---

HoldenCaulfield

Post by HoldenCaulfield » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:59 am

What it'll fit and, maybe, what it won't it's difficult to know, but Arnold Layne won't fit. Nor physically, nor mentally.

Think about it. After a while, you'll have an idea what kind of thoughts your particular size mind should be wearing. It may save you an extraordinary amount of time trying on ideas that don't suit you,aren’t becoming to you.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:38 am

I think is gonna be a finnish drummer...
A9