Steve Jobs is dead

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
NeonVomit
Steve Jobs is dead

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:23 pm

Guy had some vision, for sure. Changed the way the music industry works, and changed the way mobile phones work.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

browneyedgirl

Re: Steve Jobs is dead

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:37 pm

RIP He was the definition of genius. If it weren't for SJ I'm sure we would not be here enjoying this forum, or any other aspect of modern computer technology. So, Mr. Jobs definitely changed the world.

Btw, the guy who replaced him as CEO of Apple, Mr. Tim Cook, is a Huntsville, Alabama native. Just hope he is as capable as Mr. Jobs in carrying on the Apple legacy.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:50 pm

And still, here we are using Windows :)

Most of all at least...
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:10 am

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/june ... 61505.html

Steve Jobs famous commencement speech. It is beautifully written, and very meaningful.

Btw, it is said Jobs actually came up with the concept of Windows(called the process something else) and Bill Gates who had became a pal of Jobs "stole" Jobs idea. There was a long law case which evolved from that accusation in the 90s which was eventually dismissed.

The movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley" was a pretty good TV movie about these guys. Noah Wylie played Jobs, and in Jobs younger days Noah actually resembled him.

I'd like to someday buy an iMac. Are they really good computers?

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:27 am

browneyedgirl wrote:I'd like to someday buy an iMac. Are they really good computers?
They are overpriced, that's for sure.

1TB HD is ridiculous for a price of over $1500.

But I am a mac user, and I like it. At least the OSX is much better than Win7.

The only thing that I have against it is the gaming. I didn't expect to get into computer gaming until I installed Steam. Most of them are Win based.

Also the one-button mouse is stupid.

Oh, and iRIP Steve Jobs.

miditek

Post by miditek » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:58 am

browneyedgirl wrote:http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/june ... 61505.html

Steve Jobs famous commencement speech. It is beautifully written, and very meaningful.

Btw, it is said Jobs actually came up with the concept of Windows(called the process something else) and Bill Gates who had became a pal of Jobs "stole" Jobs idea. There was a long law case which evolved from that accusation in the 90s which was eventually dismissed.

The movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley" was a pretty good TV movie about these guys. Noah Wylie played Jobs, and in Jobs younger days Noah actually resembled him.

I'd like to someday buy an iMac. Are they really good computers?
Jobs took the idea of graphical computing from Xerox after a visit to their PARC (Palo Alto Research Center), and ordered his development staff to build a new OS around what he had seen there. The first effort, the Lisa, was a failure, due to the cost. The next release, known as the Macintosh, changed history.

Microsoft was late to the game, but made billions. Xerox sued Apple successfully for copyright infringement. Apple sued Microsoft for the same and lost. Jobs was an innovator and will be greatly missed.

Fast facts: Microsoft gave Apple $150 million dollars after striking a development deal with the company, which helped it to survive during the lean years before Jobs returned. Microsoft Office for the Mac is probably one of the most popular (if not the most popular) applications for the Mac, and has long been a cash cow for Microsoft.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:11 pm

NeverendingAbyss wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:I'd like to someday buy an iMac. Are they really good computers?
They are overpriced, that's for sure.

1TB HD is ridiculous for a price of over $1500.

But I am a mac user, and I like it. At least the OSX is much better than Win7.

Oh, and iRIP Steve Jobs.
I wonder if now the price on Macs will go down, or will they soar due to the "sentimental"effect?

Black turtlenecks(SJ's attire) are selling like hotcakes now, some as much as $175----I think I might get one at the Dollar Store for 5 bucks! ;)

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:22 pm

RIP. Steve Jobs was a visionary who knew how to take an idea and develop it into world-wide phenomena. I'm not an Apple fanboy and don't own anything they released, but Apple products surely pushed other companies to develop similar (and perhaps better products).
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

miditek

Post by miditek » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:38 pm

Steve Jobs in one of his lighter, more humorous moments:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WxOp5mBY9IY?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WxOp5mBY9IY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Mac bigots hissing in the background only added to the humor.
&#922;&#973;&#961;&#953;&#949; &#7952;&#955;&#941;&#951;&#963;&#959;&#957;

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:46 am

RIP He was the definition of genius
I wouldn't call him a genius. He was a good businessman and good at making money for himself but charging insane prices from consumers by making a brand instead of a better product is something I cannot respect.

He had the talent to sell things but apple isn't selling better because they make better products (which they don't) but simply because their products have lots and lots of marketing. Everyone knows what an iPod is and I don't think they make any movies or TV series anymore without an apple computer in the backround.

Yet they have used money and time to develop products that will charm their users and break-down as soon as possible so that the users would buy another one. (They were caught developing their batteries to break sooner)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:32 pm

Is that why Pawn shops are full of those outdated globe-shaped iMacs? :lol: My husband was going to get one of those for $100 but I told him it was so outdated it would not be worth the cost to bring it up to date. :)

eagledreamr

Post by eagledreamr » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:09 pm

I wouldn't call him a genius, but he really had a vision, and somehow changed the world his way.

I have never been fond of Apple's politics, but I recognize he was extremely talented.

RIP
Life's to short to cry
Long enough to try

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:06 am

I will mourn Linus Torvald's and Mark Shuttleworth's deaths. Nuff said.
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

TwilightEagle

Post by TwilightEagle » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:36 pm

It's great to see how he challenged Microsoft and Bill Gates and succeeded with it. I mean, example Microsoft's Zune never challenged iPod really. I doubt, that anyone can do it again.

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:03 pm

Too bad.
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

miditek

Post by miditek » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:01 am

TwilightEagle wrote:It's great to see how he challenged Microsoft and Bill Gates and succeeded with it. I mean, example Microsoft's Zune never challenged iPod really. I doubt, that anyone can do it again.
Some of Microsoft's biggest successes have been in the enterprise market, where Apple has a very minute presence.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:17 pm

It is going to be interesting to see where Tim Cook is going to take the company. I think Steve Jobs influence is going to be around for several years to come but, after then, who knows?

miditek

Post by miditek » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:20 am

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:08 pm

60 Minutes had a very interesting segment about Steve Jobs and his life. Mostly I think it was promoting a book about Steve which came out Monday. Sounded like a good read. Maybe I will buy it in about 6 months when it lands in the Bargain Bin at Wal-Mart. :wink:
That's not an insult against Steve or the book, I'm sure it's good. But no way I'm gonna pay $20+ for any damn book no matter who it's about. :roll:

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:04 pm

Check this one out:

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_5Z7eal4uXI?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_5Z7eal4uXI?ve ... p;hl=es_MX" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

It's really great to see that they didn't really hate one another as many people would think. Also, Bill says some cool stuff, but at times Steve has just such amazing words to share :)
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:34 am

There was something quaintly Ahab-esque about Jobs which I find oddly endearing. The way he stated he would use Apple's every last dollar and his dying breath to destroy Android... I mean, THAT is proper, biblically-proportioned hate.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!