Difficult question: The worst strato song(s) for you

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Derrick Rose
Re: Difficult question: The worst strato song(s) for you

Post by Derrick Rose » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:49 pm

RckteerGZ wrote:-030366 showed that Korg sounds back in the day were STUPID

-Keep the Flame makes me cry and i don't like crying

-Babylon is Egyptian and i don't like all of that

-ALL OF THE STRATOVARIUS's album songs

-all Fright Night (creepy sound)

-Emancipation Suite (both parts) are too slow.

-Paradise because i got BORED of it, besides everyone likes that song.

-Soul of a Vagabond because it's SLOW too
Riddle me this, JOKER! How comes the song "stratovarius" is nowhere to be found on the album "Stratovarius"????? Was it lost in time? Would you not enjoy it otherwise had it been on "stratowwarius" and not the other one???

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :? :)

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:32 pm

I'm listening to the whole discography again. Stratovarius is better than Elements Pt. 2
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

Tarhaea

Post by Tarhaea » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:46 pm

Every song where Kotipelto raises his voice so high that he sounds like amateur singer who is trying to impress Idols judges. No squeaking please!

Shogakat

Post by Shogakat » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:10 pm

That was Tolkki's fault, so many songs where Kotipelto had to sing so high were composed by TT.

Tolkki explained years ago that TK was unwilling to sing that kind of songs, but at least Tolkki composed them and he had to sing songs like Find Your Own Voice.

I don't like False Messiah, 030366, Metal Frenzy, Winter,...and SOS when they play this song with that horrible keyboard tune, I prefer the original version!

Tarhaea

Post by Tarhaea » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Yeah I think Tolkki should had thought two times before even recruting Kotipelto to Stratovarius. :)
Sure they made shittloads of money but the stuff during Kotipelto era has been very traditional power metal and hasn't brought much new to the genre. Well Fourth Dimensions is okay though.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:18 pm

If Tolkki had not have hired TK odds are high Stratovarius would not have made it this far, or for as long.

Makes me wonder: If TT had to do over, who would he have hired instead of TK? :wink:

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:36 pm

Tarhaea wrote:Yeah I think Tolkki should had thought two times before even recruting Kotipelto to Stratovarius. :)
Sure they made shittloads of money but the stuff during Kotipelto era has been very traditional power metal and hasn't brought much new to the genre. Well Fourth Dimensions is okay though.
The recruiting of TK wasn't the reason for the different direction TT's writing took. It's the other way round, recruiting a singer like TK was just a consequent step to bring life to the compositions TT had in mind. Look at the stuff he writes nowadays, has there been anything "new" or less traditional power metal in RR or Symfonia? TT writes what he writes because that is what his inspiration drives him to create, not because a singer begs him to.

Shogakat

Post by Shogakat » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:17 am

Tolkki "hired" Kotipelto for the same reason that recruited Jens and Jörg: because he needed excellent musicians that could be able to play the music that he had in mind.

If you look over what Tolkki composed during those years, you will see the same way to compose, the same style, but you have to notice that, although they were similar compositions, following a broadly similar pattern, were very different. Are Episode and Elements pt.I similar? There is the same voice and the musicians themselves, but evidenced significant differences, which relate to the natural development of a musical ensemble. Remember that Stratovarius was Tolkki's band before 2008, his project and his music, and I think our music.

If you actually look over why Stratovarius had success during 1995-2007, is because in every CD that they composed, you can see an evolution comparing it to the previous one. I don't share your opinion Tarhaea, because I think that without Kotipelto, Stratovarius would never reached the success that they had, and you can say a lot of thinks about Kotipelto, but there is one thing for sure, he is professional and always tries to be in perfect condition.

And nowadays Stratovarius returned a bit to the roots of his existence. in 1996, the album was so progressive, after that, more like melodic metal and afer that, with Infinite, faster than ever (speed metal?). In 2003 we can see the symphonic part of that band, and after that hard-rock mixed with metal xD. They tried with RR cd to return to the "traditional" power metal (at least, Infinite, Elements, Stratovarius, were not as traditional as we thought... :wink: ), but that wasn't enough. Now, we can see another time progressive metal in that band, different than Episode, because it's a modern conception of the style, but similar...

:!: "the stuff during Kotipelto era has been very traditional power metal and hasn't brought much new to the genre" how many different styles of metal I have called and have diverged with the group during the Kotipelto period? I regret that there are people who can think that Stratovarius has not contributed anything to the music.

Tarhaea

Post by Tarhaea » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:13 am

Shogakat wrote: I regret that there are people who can think that Stratovarius has not contributed anything to the music.
They have contributed alot to music but mostly during Tolkki-singing era. First three albums are so incredibly unique and good.

Jabi

Post by Jabi » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:26 pm

HinatAArcticA wrote:I'm listening to the whole discography again. Stratovarius is better than Elements Pt. 2
It is.

If I remember correctly, Tolkki once referred to Elements Pt. 2 with something like "at times you need to make bad albums to get out of bad recording contracts".

If I go a long time without listening to the album, the only song I really start to miss is "Alpha and Omega".
OMG, they fired Jari! Bastards!

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:15 pm

Jabi wrote:
HinatAArcticA wrote:I'm listening to the whole discography again. Stratovarius is better than Elements Pt. 2
It is.

If I remember correctly, Tolkki once referred to Elements Pt. 2 with something like "at times you need to make bad albums to get out of bad recording contracts".

If I go a long time without listening to the album, the only song I really start to miss is "Alpha and Omega".
That is actually not true. As far as I know Tolkki doesn't like the Self Titled album but Elements pt.2 was composed at the same time as Elements pt.1 so he obviously likes pt.2 as well (maybe not as much but still)

And I personally really like Elements pt.2
Great atmosphere on that album and nice sound. Songs like I'm Still Alive and Know The Difference are some of the cathiest fast songs the band has while Season of Faith's Perfection, Lumionous and Liberty are some of the best slower songs they have. The only thing the album lacks is an epic long song.

Jabi

Post by Jabi » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:48 am

I may remember it wrong, or Tolkki may have said it sarcastically. But he has said he considers the band to have "ended musically" already with Elements pt. 1.

http://forum.stratovarius.com/viewtopic ... pui#425451

Reading that I get the impression he wasn't that happy with the outcome of Elements pt. 2 and s/t.
OMG, they fired Jari! Bastards!

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:56 am

So, if you stab them in addition to the past, between members of riidatkin were publicity stunts, the action really low, I say. Now, the latest valuation of the band's eyes sank to the bottom levels. Yes, the music should speak for itself. But when the song level drops little by little all the time, have to resort to low tricks in order to remain so even as the headlines. The same series is also a guitar of this spring and the master tape of theft, even if CT is not yet soopaksi recognized by all. It is, but apparently took a wonderful activity correctly duration of a hobby. Julkisuushakuisuutta pathetic! Would Kainulainen be the only clear-headed the whole gang, and probably because nostikin switch when you got bored to look at that kind of hustle. When nothing is really not what it looks like, so I'm really surprised at all, but these recent conflicts, the band's break-ups, new members, contractual issues and released to the public statement, would all just theater again. Strato, and will once again become the latest downbeat plate assembly back and churn out than the previous disc paskem AFC output. Well, yes it was mud album, and the guys stage presence was that the stand was boisterously in place. The singer moved a little lower jaw, musicians' hands and feet in addition to drummer. this ridiculously theatrical lasted for years after I no longer marvel at anything that Strato / CT belongs to the camp. All is apparently possible. The most ridiculous themselves have made ​​them empty heads, who are believed hook line and sinker for all the people fed shit, and here too the forum by the vulgar name-calling these things called into question by those who ultimately were just right. How's the foot, it will be now, when all the shit starts to finally be revealed?

Ilsekena

Post by Ilsekena » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:27 pm

Tarhaea wrote:Every song where Kotipelto raises his voice so high that he sounds like amateur singer who is trying to impress Idols judges. No squeaking please!
:shock: :shock: What are u talking about??? :shock:
HIS VOICE SOUNDS GREAT WHEN HE SINGS HIGH, you fuckers!!! :x

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

Post by ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:34 pm

+10000

Tarhaea

Post by Tarhaea » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:22 pm

Ilsekena wrote:
Tarhaea wrote:Every song where Kotipelto raises his voice so high that he sounds like amateur singer who is trying to impress Idols judges. No squeaking please!
At times his high notes sound okay but way too often he sounds like Ari Koivunen =/. Problem is he doesn't compose his songs, just writes lyrics to some of them. Therefore the emotion put on it isn't what I would hope. I'm Finnish and I have to say Kotipelto is way too overrated in my country. There are many better vocalists than him. Jari Mäenpää and Marco Hietala for example. (Hietala in early Tarot era, nowadays he isn't that great). Although I gotta say Tolkki is best 100% clean vocalist ever (Mäenpää is the best vocalist overall). But do you notice that the best vocalists also play an instrument and compose some kick ass songs as well? Kotipelto doesn't.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:55 pm

Tarhaea wrote: Although I gotta say Tolkki is best 100% clean vocalist ever
ImageImageImageImage

Tarhaea

Post by Tarhaea » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:42 pm

Why not? BEST.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:34 am

Uh, fine if you like his singing, but I think Tolkki himself would react to him being declared the "best clean singer ever" pretty much the same way as Jack Nicholson up there.
Tarhaea wrote:
Shogakat wrote: I regret that there are people who can think that Stratovarius has not contributed anything to the music.
They have contributed alot to music but mostly during Tolkki-singing era. First three albums are so incredibly unique and good.
Pre-Empire era Queensrÿche would like to have a word with you.

Tarhaea

Post by Tarhaea » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:07 am

Well this whole discussion here is all about taste of music. Some prefer apple and others pear. There is no one right answer. And who cares if Tolkki doesn't consider his vocals in early albums good, as long as the listeners do. Well I give you that on Fright Night he really didn't have the technique on that mastered :) . But on Twilight Time and Dreamspace it was pretty much flawless. So just Fire Dance and leave it be!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stisA-4snkk

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:34 am

Tarhaea wrote:Some prefer apple and others pear.
This brilliant metaphor has swiftly brought clarity to this discussion. :)

Ilsekena

Post by Ilsekena » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:02 pm

Tarhaea wrote:
Ilsekena wrote:
At times his high notes sound okay but way too often he sounds like Ari Koivunen =/. Problem is he doesn't compose his songs, just writes lyrics to some of them. Therefore the emotion put on it isn't what I would hope. I'm Finnish and I have to say Kotipelto is way too overrated in my country. There are many better vocalists than him. Jari Mäenpää and Marco Hietala for example. (Hietala in early Tarot era, nowadays he isn't that great). Although I gotta say Tolkki is best 100% clean vocalist ever (Mäenpää is the best vocalist overall). But do you notice that the best vocalists also play an instrument and compose some kick ass songs as well? Kotipelto doesn't.
I LOL'd hardly. Thank you dear, you made my day!!!

DonTopo_FromHell

Post by DonTopo_FromHell » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:03 pm

Babylon

worst song ever Dx
Stratovarius is the Law

nightfireivey

Post by nightfireivey » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:45 am

-Everything in Stratovarius album.
-King of Nothing
-Under Flaming Skies

_Skylar_

Post by _Skylar_ » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:26 pm

I still dislike Full Moon the most and I think saying that the so called "black album" was bad is an understatement...

Oh and I also loathe eagleheart with a passion!
Wonderlust!

illpotro

Post by illpotro » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:42 pm

dream with me
4000 rainy nights
the last 3 of elements part 2
falling star
fairness justified
move the mountain