SonataArctica - Stones Grow Her Name (new album)

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Shogakat
SonataArctica - Stones Grow Her Name (new album)

Post by Shogakat » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:06 pm

SONATA ARCTICA'S LATEST ALBUM
http://www.metalfromfinland.com/news/20 ... witterfeed

If you don't want to click:

"The new SONATA ARCTICA album will be titled Stones Grow Her Name, and will be released on May 18th via Nuclear Blast Records. It was recorded in several studios all over Finland, mixed at Sonic Pump Studios by Mikko Karmila and mastered at Chartmakers by Svante Forsbäck.

The album will be released as limited edition digipak, standard jewel case, vinyl and download. Check out the album artwork below:

The tracklisting:

'Only The Broken Hearts (Make You Beautiful)'
'Shitload of Money'
'Losing My Insanity'
'Somewhere Close To You'
'I Have A Right'
'Alone In Heaven'
'The Day'
'Cinderblox'
'Don't Be Mean'
'Wildfire II'
'Wildfire III'

Vocalist Tony Kakko comments: "Our newest adventure is only a final touch short of being ready. The recordings went extremely well and the mixing is in schedule. Have to say I am enjoying myself greatly. I've had a very hard and work filled two year period writing the songs while touring extensively with our previous album, The Days of Grays. But it has all been worth it! Yet again we are introducing new things to keep the music alive and interesting. New elements, styles and new moods, talented quest artists and ideas for the enjoyment of the loyal friends of our music. Can't wait for you to get your hands and ears on Stones Grow Her Name! Hope to see you all again on tour! Be well!“

Some months ago Henkka said:

http://www.metalfromfinland.com/news/20 ... one_before

As an add. This topic deserved a good presentation, or at least a presentation ;)! (edited)

robocop656

Re: SonataArctica - Stones Grow Her Name (new album)

Post by robocop656 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:30 pm

Ok.

CCCCCCCC
Location:I had 4 biscuits, then I ate one, now I only have 3

Post by CCCCCCCC » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:52 am

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:23 am

:)

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:28 am

:pop:

J.S. Bach

Post by J.S. Bach » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:04 am

Shogakat wrote: 'Only The Broken Hearts (Make You Beautiful)'
'Shitload of Money'
'Losing My Insanity'
'Somewhere Close To You'
'I Have A Right'
'Alone In Heaven'
'The Day'
'Cinderblox'
'Don't Be Mean'
'Wildfire II'
'Wildfire III'[/i]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Dear Jesus, even Ludwig could come up with something better! :lol: :lol:

Ludwig Van Beethoven

Post by Ludwig Van Beethoven » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:09 am

J.S. Bach wrote:
Shogakat wrote: 'Only The Broken Hearts (Make You Beautiful)'
'Shitload of Money'
'Losing My Insanity'
'Somewhere Close To You'
'I Have A Right'
'Alone In Heaven'
'The Day'
'Cinderblox'
'Don't Be Mean'
'Wildfire II'
'Wildfire III'[/i]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Dear Jesus, even Ludwig could come up with something better! :lol: :lol:
Oh Johann, how did I not see this cheap-shot coming. Shut your mouth before I cut off your genitals and feed it to the wolves. "Well-Tempered" clavier my foot.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:10 am

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:27 am

I will definitely be checking out that album :D
metal feeds the beast

Krigo

Post by Krigo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:24 am

Problem for me is while I liked their earlier albums I feel like their two best albums were Unia and Silence. The Days of Grays minus a couple of tracks was completely terrible. Unfortunately, the fact that it's not going to be progressive in the slightest (Unia) or like any of their earlier albums makes me worry that it's going to be disappointing.

Who knows? It might be amazing, but I'm rather skeptical of it. Maybe it's the name that's not growing on me, their history and the tracklist.

I don't think anyone wanted two more wildfires.

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:31 pm

I personally loved Unia and The Days of Grays and consider TDoG and Winterheart's Guild their best albums. Absolutely love everything this band has put out. Very strange song titles but I know I'm going to love this.

It certainly sounds like it's going to divide the fanbase even further, though. Yay, another album for people to cry about because it doesn't have repetitive double bass drumming and the same rehashed power metal sound! zzzz

Also, I love Wildfire, and I'm interested in (hopefully) reading an interview with Tony about the strange names of the song and why he couldn't come up with anything better than Wildfire II and Wildfire III.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:02 am

Repost a translation from the user "Temathael" in the official SA forum:
Temathael wrote:Greetings,

Since I have nothing better to do right now I'll translate this for you.

The finnish Inferno magazine was among some 20 or so journalists who heard the album at Sonic Pump Studios during Finnish Metal Expo last weekend.

The length of the album is just a little less than an hour and it's the most mid-tempo and heaviest album of Sonata yet.

Only the Broken Hearts starts the album. It's a mid-tempo song, as the first half of the album is. The star of the song (like many more songs on the album) is the guitar playing of Elias. The quitar sound is more "down to the earth" and "rock" than before. The guitars on the album have an "dirt-metal" kind of edge, meaning they are little more rough than before on Sonata Albums.

Shitload of Money is an ironic, little Edguyish song. The most relaxed song on the album and has some cowbell used as an instrument. It features the voice of journalists, as the song was only one not ready. They recorded some "Hey"-shouts for the end of the song at the pre-listen event.

Losin My Insanity is the first song on the album to feature double bass drums.

Somewhere Close to You, despite it's deceivin name is the most heavy sonata song ever. Otherwise it doesn't differ a lot from older songs and has that "Sonata-feel". Also has some Queen-craziness between the lines.

I Have a Right is a very hard rockish song. Keys and Henrik have a really big part in the song.

The "second and more interesting" half of the album starts with Alone in Heaven. Song features a lot of "opposites" and changes between soft and heavy. Is a complex song and has a nice melodic quitar solo.

The Day is an Unia/Days of Grays kind-of artistically free song that sounds both melancholic and sunny at the same time. (How is that possible :P)

Cinderblox is the second edguyish song, Hillbillys from hell -style. Has some heavy riffing and features banjo. The chorus is pure old-school Sonata.

Don't Be Mean is halfly acoustic song. Violin can be heard in the song. It works as a bridge to the last two songs.

Wildfire II & III are described as a very complexly arranged pair, that cannot really be understood without hearing them more than once. What he remembers from the songs are a feel of melancholic horror, fast and epic parts, strange keyboard fills and sudden pauses.

After the event, Tommy Portimo told he was really happy with the more hard rockish style of the album. More effort was put also in quitars. New songs should sound nice live, but the Wildfire duo could be too hard and complex to play live. So, the new album sounds whole lot of different than before and they have again updated their sound like on every album. Time will tell if the new sound will unite or divide the tastes of fans.

And that's about it. I myself am very exited, hopefully the album wont dissappoint.
As for me, I'm expecting something REALLY BIG. Lots of solos and I belive Wildfire II & III could be spiritual succesors to Deathaura, that easily enters in my SA top 5 favorite songs.
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:10 am

>Edguyish hillbilly rock

No thanks.

Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:45 am

This sounds gay.

Arnold Layne

Krigo

Post by Krigo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:04 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:>Edguyish hillbilly rock

No thanks.
I fail to remember the time where Edguy made hillbilly rock.

:(

ext0l

Post by ext0l » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:51 am

Krigo wrote:

No thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq_ArkTrXdo

Krigo

Post by Krigo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:02 am

ext0l wrote:
Krigo wrote:

No thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq_ArkTrXdo
Didn't come into my mind, but that was more of a hilarious bonus track than anything for the North American release :P

Where as when you say 'Sonata Arctica' and 'Hillbilly rock' in the same sentence, even with 'edguyish' in, it makes me think completely awful.

Of course, I'll be at least happy with the album if there's another Tricky Beans remake (Flag in the Ground was Blackout).

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qaWLm4pkvGg?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qaWLm4pkvGg?ve ... &amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Hoping that Cinderblox IS a remake of Apartment 54 needs to be remade, complete with the crazy circus keyboard that Tony had at the time. The mention of a Banjo makes me think that it's Apartment 54 ;)

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:40 am

I still have high hopes for this album, they haven't disappointed me so far so unless they do something completely out of character I believe I'm going to love this album.
metal feeds the beast

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:11 am

Posted on SA Forum:
Piippo wrote:It's a very long article, so I'll compress it a bit. Don't worry, I'll keep the important stuff:

So basically the press was invited to the Sonic Pump studio to have a pre-listen to STGHN. The writer has been a big fan sicne pre-Ecliptica so he was very excited about this opportunity.

1. Only The Broken Hearts (make you beautiful)
"The album begins with a Nightwish-style keyboard, and the first song OTBH is a typical Sonata opening track. The middle-tempo song is like RN's Misplaced or Unia's In Black And White. Modern, typical, playsafe feelgood Sonata. The chorus and the guitar solo sticks in mind."

2. Shitload Of Money
"If the first track was basic Sonata, on the second track the band really shakes the press. The song starts with disco - the bassbeat beats like in -95, followed by wailing guitars, and in joins Tony with a unusually harsh voice.

The song's 'disco'ing' and heavyness reminds of Nightwish, this time like I Wish I Had an Angel. Heavy guitar, steady drums, obedient keyboards; sometimes the guitar strays off to clear waters. Starting from this song I had a feeling that we'll be hearing more of Elias Viljanen's touch on the album. The song has hard-rock riffs, but the guitarsound is very heavy - very heavy for Sonata.

The heavyness and the keyboards gives Dream Thieves-like feelings, the continuosly crushing bridge points in Wildfire's direction, and the song reminds overall of RN. This theme seems to stick through nearly the whole album.

The song has also a strong but repetitive chorus, where the line "she's got a shitload of money" is repeated over and over again (later you find out why, though). The song has lyrics unlike the band's style, and it doesn't really seem to fit.

The song leaves a confused feeling. Basically hard rock, but the wailing industrial sound at the beginning as well as the overall heavyness is recognizable as Sonata only because of the typical Tony-choir. Traditional 80s heavy with modern crushing guitarsounds?"

3. Losing My Insanity
"The classical-influenced piano intro last for about 20 seconds 'A lonely pianist practices lightly, until he hits the final key - mark!' says my notes.

The song itself starts with a 80s heavy guitar. The tempo is fast. The guitar comp gallops on; later, you notice the band's Queen-influence ranges from vocal harmonies to brianmay-esque guitars now.

The proge-ish solo - 'genius or crazy?' as it says in my notes - reminds of Champagne Bath from WHG. Again, we're going back in time, just as the band said. Straightforward WHG-like fireworks, but a very familiar sounding song, and no wonder as it seems to be the song Tony wrote for Ari Koivunen.

Easily 'digestable' as well."

4. Somewhere Close To You
"The second surprise on the album after the disco on #2. Maybe Nino Lauranne from Sonic Pump has had his fingers in the mix, when the guitars remind of the heavyness of the few latest Thunderstone albums.

The song has few melodies, the prime things are rythmic gizmos, technicality, wailing vocals and a pumping rythmsection. Plays heavily and rythmically. Easy to bang your head to. Live this might just get my hair going. It both rolls heavily and proceeds easily. The sirens [as in alarm] wail and again I get the Dream Thieves-feeling. So a little of experimentality especially at the end. Something new and different."

5. I Have A Right
"And the surprises continue. Sci-fi keyboard playing and a Broken-style intro is where we're at. Now, at the latest, can you hear the theme or style of the album: This is the kind of Sonata that once split from the RN path towards Unia. Now we're back a few years, with some added heavyness in there.

I Have A Right is also a hit-like song, the chorus is guaranteed to work live but could use some more backing vocals - or then the choice is deliberant, and the backing vocals are left for the live audience to perform. And it won't be hard, since you learn the chorus after one listen. I think it's the new The Cage, even though it's not as fast, and not as fluid.

Eurovisionism [yes, I just made that word up, don't ask me what it means], easy chorus, and catchiness - yep, this song will be heard live."

6. Alone In Heaven
"Tony humms somewhere at the borders to soul, or at least softly and gently. This up-tempo song reminds of Gamma Ray, and via them of Queen again. Straightforward, big backing vocals. Sounds like a basic Sonata song.

From Elias, a stylish solo, with a lot of feeling, and less speeding and fast picking. A strong chorus, beautiful song; and the lyrics - they are talking about heaven after all - reminds me of Queen's Made in Heaven. Now they have clearly found the Philosopher's Stone they've been looking for since RN. It feels like this is what they've been aiming for. And after a few derailed steps, we're back at where we left at in 2004."

7. The Day
"The obedience continues. Pianoskill joined with heavier riffs. Then we're back again at the heavier stuff heard earlier on the album.

A brave A Capella midpart, from which we carry on with light vocals but heavy drums. The obedient keyboards play around in the background of the mid-tempo heavy-ing.

Nothing sticked in the mind after the first listen. Filler?"

8. Cinderblox
"And so continues the night of surprises. This is something no one would have expected. Yes, proge-hillbilly-banjoheavy-whatthefuck, with falsetto screams sealing the deal. Very experimental, confusing, almost party-ish discoheavy with Tony screaming on top of his lungs.

And this isn't just a half-minute funny intro, but the theme of the whole song. The same weirdness goes on in the mid-part. Cinderblox is like Wildfire on steroids. Or hung-over. Or at the asulym.

Simple guitarwork, proceeds like a porcelain store in an elephant [what?]. A bit of a save-up there with some hammond organ and speedy solos.

At some point you start to wonder, can it get any weirder from this?

And apparently it can.

And it does.

Now the milk in teh band's cereal has turned into strong booze. This isn't Sonata. More like gogolbordello or some whiny weirdness.

After the song the press crowd is completely silent. Only one comment is said out loud: 'What the f***?"

That sums up the whole song: What the f***?

The band members must be laughing in their beards. Or cereals. Or porcelain stores. This pondering makes as much as sense as the song did on the basis of the first listen."

9. Don't Be Mean
"After the poor journalists have been hit with disco and hillbilly weirdness, the next song is luckily much more familiar. A power ballad, very Sonata-ish with Tony's voice alone with the keyboard. And the man sings almost like one Freddie Mercury with his stretched "To my tear...". Sensitive. And do I hear a saxofone in there?

The song has some of the strongest Tony ever, the man pushes himself like never before. The whole song plays on Tony's terms. The rest of the band are reduced to extras for this performance."

10. Wildfire II
"What hell is this hillbilly-infection the band has caught?

Again we're off. I guess this is music, when the big bass is 'plunking', the violin is whining and the background is booming. The start promises a big boom, and it does come, not surprisingly.

The militant drums beat on precisely like a 40s German Gentlemanna marchband. The snarte drumming reminds of Impaled Nazarene's Total War Winter War.

Elias hits it back with a rythmic galore, and Marko soon joins in. Still, this isn't music yet, but just rythmics.

Until a scream with special effects signals the song is - maybe? - starting. It's heavy, and again I smell Thunderstone. Nino, Nino, if this is your work... The band can be recognized as Sonata solely by Tony's voice, because otherwise this is just HEAVY.

The chorus luckily drops us on the right planet again, taking us through the Sonatasphere [another of my brilliant new words ] back to familiar soundscapes. The chorus is layered with choirs, after all."

11. Wildfire III
"Wildfire was Rn's, and pretty much Sonata's career's, heaviest song. In #10 the second coming continued even heavier, and the album-ending third incarnation... well, the records are broken again.

The legacy of Wildfire is apparent throughout the album. Now, the second sequel takes the feeling towards White Pearl, Black Oceans, until the mid-part rumbles. Crushes. The heavy artillery is here. The drums double their beat and all and any obstacles are torn down. The song title is an omen, it sounds just as you imagine. The third dimension of heavyness.

A little catch of breath is allowed during the piano mid-piece, but then we're off again: birdsong and doublebass, heavy, straightforward. The song is disrupted by birds' song. And it repeats. The contrast is huge.

The song is off again with Tony's edgy vocals and very heavy guitarwork. The different sides of the song are confusing. The contrast is enormous, when the guitar is ramping out one of the band's career's heaviest guitar sounds in unison with doublebass drums, while a light piano palys in the background. It's also the fastest and speediest Sonata in a while. Or a long while.

The third Wildfire doesn't sound like a live braveur, but as a heavy song it proceeds like the previously mentioned porcelain store's owner in front of the elephant. The panic is probably of the same magnitude. And in addition to this massive brutality, the vocals are aggresive. In the mid-part there's screaming, and in the next part they're pulling the rug with Queen-harmonies. The strings and soft vocals ease in the breathing pauses. The tempo calms down. A big, fat, calm, majestic moment.

A calm before the storm?

The heavy guitar starts, but nothing goes off just yet. Big orschestras sound, and then we're off again. The track is proge when it comes to the sections of the song, but otherwise straightforward. A lot of variation.

The end you can guess: doublebass, crunching - and some weird squeal. The last push is followed by sounds of nature again. There's also ana nnoying whispering sound, a computer-effect.

The song isn't over 'til the fat lady sings (metaphorically, an opera section is just what was missing...), but when the bird has sung.

And the bird did sing."

Final Words
"Well, this didn't really sound like Sonata" is heard from the crowd of journalists. And I have to agree: hard rock, thrash, weirdness, almost Slayer-like heavyness. The RN-feeling is very prominent, so there's been some backing in time. The first listen left a slightly confused feeling, though. Even so, it felt more intresting that TDoG for me.

SGHN is much more guitar-centric that its successor, and Elias picks much heavier than before. It feels like Tony's had less space to work. And at the same time, keyboards have fallen to the background.

One reason for the added heavyness might be the studio, since it's build with heavier metal in mind. Let's see if it sounds as heavy on my rig at home. I almost hope it wouldn't - on the other hand, Thunderstone's heavier music has also caught me, so perhaps a more concentrated listen will change my mind.

The sounds and heavyness can also be explained by the fact that we heard the un-mastered version of the album. And all the recording haven't even been done: after the pre-hearing the band announced that the very journalists present in the room would get to be a part in the making of the album!

And we also learned the reason behind track #2's chorus' repetitiviness and unfinished feel. It was missing the "hey" shouts. The twenty-ish people large crowd of journalists then got to shout "hey" for a couple of takes. And that sealed the pre-hearing of Stones Grow Her Name."

Really hope you guys enjoy the tet. Took a lot of time to translate it
Tony Kakko

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:28 am

^ tl;dr

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:37 am

HinatAArcticA wrote:Posted on SA Forum:
Piippo wrote:1. Only The Broken Hearts (make you beautiful)
"The album begins with a Nightwish-style keyboard, and the first song OTBH is a typical Sonata opening track. The middle-tempo song is like RN's Misplaced or Unia's In Black And White. Modern, typical, playsafe feelgood Sonata. The chorus and the guitar solo sticks in mind."

2. Shitload Of Money
"If the first track was basic Sonata, on the second track the band really shakes the press. The song starts with disco - the bassbeat beats like in -95, followed by wailing guitars, and in joins Tony with a unusually harsh voice.

The song's 'disco'ing' and heavyness reminds of Nightwish, this time like I Wish I Had an Angel. Heavy guitar, steady drums, obedient keyboards; sometimes the guitar strays off to clear waters. Starting from this song I had a feeling that we'll be hearing more of Elias Viljanen's touch on the album. The song has hard-rock riffs, but the guitarsound is very heavy - very heavy for Sonata.

The heavyness and the keyboards gives Dream Thieves-like feelings, the continuosly crushing bridge points in Wildfire's direction, and the song reminds overall of RN. This theme seems to stick through nearly the whole album.

The song has also a strong but repetitive chorus, where the line "she's got a shitload of money" is repeated over and over again (later you find out why, though). The song has lyrics unlike the band's style, and it doesn't really seem to fit.

The song leaves a confused feeling. Basically hard rock, but the wailing industrial sound at the beginning as well as the overall heavyness is recognizable as Sonata only because of the typical Tony-choir. Traditional 80s heavy with modern crushing guitarsounds?"

3. Losing My Insanity
"The classical-influenced piano intro last for about 20 seconds 'A lonely pianist practices lightly, until he hits the final key - mark!' says my notes.

The song itself starts with a 80s heavy guitar. The tempo is fast. The guitar comp gallops on; later, you notice the band's Queen-influence ranges from vocal harmonies to brianmay-esque guitars now.

The proge-ish solo - 'genius or crazy?' as it says in my notes - reminds of Champagne Bath from WHG. Again, we're going back in time, just as the band said. Straightforward WHG-like fireworks, but a very familiar sounding song, and no wonder as it seems to be the song Tony wrote for Ari Koivunen.

Easily 'digestable' as well."

4. Somewhere Close To You
"The second surprise on the album after the disco on #2. Maybe Nino Lauranne from Sonic Pump has had his fingers in the mix, when the guitars remind of the heavyness of the few latest Thunderstone albums.

The song has few melodies, the prime things are rythmic gizmos, technicality, wailing vocals and a pumping rythmsection. Plays heavily and rythmically. Easy to bang your head to. Live this might just get my hair going. It both rolls heavily and proceeds easily. The sirens [as in alarm] wail and again I get the Dream Thieves-feeling. So a little of experimentality especially at the end. Something new and different."

5. I Have A Right
"And the surprises continue. Sci-fi keyboard playing and a Broken-style intro is where we're at. Now, at the latest, can you hear the theme or style of the album: This is the kind of Sonata that once split from the RN path towards Unia. Now we're back a few years, with some added heavyness in there.

I Have A Right is also a hit-like song, the chorus is guaranteed to work live but could use some more backing vocals - or then the choice is deliberant, and the backing vocals are left for the live audience to perform. And it won't be hard, since you learn the chorus after one listen. I think it's the new The Cage, even though it's not as fast, and not as fluid.

Eurovisionism [yes, I just made that word up, don't ask me what it means], easy chorus, and catchiness - yep, this song will be heard live."

6. Alone In Heaven
"Tony humms somewhere at the borders to soul, or at least softly and gently. This up-tempo song reminds of Gamma Ray, and via them of Queen again. Straightforward, big backing vocals. Sounds like a basic Sonata song.

From Elias, a stylish solo, with a lot of feeling, and less speeding and fast picking. A strong chorus, beautiful song; and the lyrics - they are talking about heaven after all - reminds me of Queen's Made in Heaven. Now they have clearly found the Philosopher's Stone they've been looking for since RN. It feels like this is what they've been aiming for. And after a few derailed steps, we're back at where we left at in 2004."

7. The Day
"The obedience continues. Pianoskill joined with heavier riffs. Then we're back again at the heavier stuff heard earlier on the album.

A brave A Capella midpart, from which we carry on with light vocals but heavy drums. The obedient keyboards play around in the background of the mid-tempo heavy-ing.

Nothing sticked in the mind after the first listen. Filler?"

8. Cinderblox
"And so continues the night of surprises. This is something no one would have expected. Yes, proge-hillbilly-banjoheavy-whatthefuck, with falsetto screams sealing the deal. Very experimental, confusing, almost party-ish discoheavy with Tony screaming on top of his lungs.

And this isn't just a half-minute funny intro, but the theme of the whole song. The same weirdness goes on in the mid-part. Cinderblox is like Wildfire on steroids. Or hung-over. Or at the asulym.

Simple guitarwork, proceeds like a porcelain store in an elephant [what?]. A bit of a save-up there with some hammond organ and speedy solos.

At some point you start to wonder, can it get any weirder from this?

And apparently it can.

And it does.

Now the milk in teh band's cereal has turned into strong booze. This isn't Sonata. More like gogolbordello or some whiny weirdness.

After the song the press crowd is completely silent. Only one comment is said out loud: 'What the f***?"

That sums up the whole song: What the f***?

The band members must be laughing in their beards. Or cereals. Or porcelain stores. This pondering makes as much as sense as the song did on the basis of the first listen."

9. Don't Be Mean
"After the poor journalists have been hit with disco and hillbilly weirdness, the next song is luckily much more familiar. A power ballad, very Sonata-ish with Tony's voice alone with the keyboard. And the man sings almost like one Freddie Mercury with his stretched "To my tear...". Sensitive. And do I hear a saxofone in there?

The song has some of the strongest Tony ever, the man pushes himself like never before. The whole song plays on Tony's terms. The rest of the band are reduced to extras for this performance."

10. Wildfire II
"What hell is this hillbilly-infection the band has caught?

Again we're off. I guess this is music, when the big bass is 'plunking', the violin is whining and the background is booming. The start promises a big boom, and it does come, not surprisingly.

The militant drums beat on precisely like a 40s German Gentlemanna marchband. The snarte drumming reminds of Impaled Nazarene's Total War Winter War.

Elias hits it back with a rythmic galore, and Marko soon joins in. Still, this isn't music yet, but just rythmics.

Until a scream with special effects signals the song is - maybe? - starting. It's heavy, and again I smell Thunderstone. Nino, Nino, if this is your work... The band can be recognized as Sonata solely by Tony's voice, because otherwise this is just HEAVY.

The chorus luckily drops us on the right planet again, taking us through the Sonatasphere [another of my brilliant new words ] back to familiar soundscapes. The chorus is layered with choirs, after all."

11. Wildfire III
"Wildfire was Rn's, and pretty much Sonata's career's, heaviest song. In #10 the second coming continued even heavier, and the album-ending third incarnation... well, the records are broken again.

The legacy of Wildfire is apparent throughout the album. Now, the second sequel takes the feeling towards White Pearl, Black Oceans, until the mid-part rumbles. Crushes. The heavy artillery is here. The drums double their beat and all and any obstacles are torn down. The song title is an omen, it sounds just as you imagine. The third dimension of heavyness.

A little catch of breath is allowed during the piano mid-piece, but then we're off again: birdsong and doublebass, heavy, straightforward. The song is disrupted by birds' song. And it repeats. The contrast is huge.

The song is off again with Tony's edgy vocals and very heavy guitarwork. The different sides of the song are confusing. The contrast is enormous, when the guitar is ramping out one of the band's career's heaviest guitar sounds in unison with doublebass drums, while a light piano palys in the background. It's also the fastest and speediest Sonata in a while. Or a long while.

The third Wildfire doesn't sound like a live braveur, but as a heavy song it proceeds like the previously mentioned porcelain store's owner in front of the elephant. The panic is probably of the same magnitude. And in addition to this massive brutality, the vocals are aggresive. In the mid-part there's screaming, and in the next part they're pulling the rug with Queen-harmonies. The strings and soft vocals ease in the breathing pauses. The tempo calms down. A big, fat, calm, majestic moment.

A calm before the storm?

The heavy guitar starts, but nothing goes off just yet. Big orschestras sound, and then we're off again. The track is proge when it comes to the sections of the song, but otherwise straightforward. A lot of variation.

The end you can guess: doublebass, crunching - and some weird squeal. The last push is followed by sounds of nature again. There's also ana nnoying whispering sound, a computer-effect.

The song isn't over 'til the fat lady sings (metaphorically, an opera section is just what was missing...), but when the bird has sung.

And the bird did sing."

Final Words
"Well, this didn't really sound like Sonata" is heard from the crowd of journalists. And I have to agree: hard rock, thrash, weirdness, almost Slayer-like heavyness. The RN-feeling is very prominent, so there's been some backing in time. The first listen left a slightly confused feeling, though. Even so, it felt more intresting that TDoG for me.

SGHN is much more guitar-centric that its successor, and Elias picks much heavier than before. It feels like Tony's had less space to work. And at the same time, keyboards have fallen to the background.

One reason for the added heavyness might be the studio, since it's build with heavier metal in mind. Let's see if it sounds as heavy on my rig at home. I almost hope it wouldn't - on the other hand, Thunderstone's heavier music has also caught me, so perhaps a more concentrated listen will change my mind.

The sounds and heavyness can also be explained by the fact that we heard the un-mastered version of the album. And all the recording haven't even been done: after the pre-hearing the band announced that the very journalists present in the room would get to be a part in the making of the album!

And we also learned the reason behind track #2's chorus' repetitiviness and unfinished feel. It was missing the "hey" shouts. The twenty-ish people large crowd of journalists then got to shout "hey" for a couple of takes. And that sealed the pre-hearing of Stones Grow Her Name."

Really hope you guys enjoy the tet. Took a lot of time to translate it
this is the most stupid review in recent weeks... a nighwish like keyboards??? what is that supposed to mean? there are gazillions korg presets on every nightwish song.....from there everything sucked.
A9

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:32 am

I have a gut feeling that this album is going to suck.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:37 pm

I'd have to hear it first, personally I have a feeling I'll like it however I will reserve judgement for when it comes out.
metal feeds the beast

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:21 pm

I wasn't expecting anyone here to even care for this album :)

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ri_PbZQ7dAQ?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ri_PbZQ7dAQ?ve ... p;hl=es_MX" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Despite being really exited, I have to be as honest as I can, and say that I can see that Elias is still along way from Matias... I love his solos in Polaris and Elysium.
Tony Kakko

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:20 am

To me it's all apples and oranges.

I'm sure there are those that will disagree with me however it's just once again my opinion.
metal feeds the beast

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:21 am

adrian9 wrote: there are gazillions korg presets on every nightwish song.....from there everything sucked.

YOUR LIFE IS A PRESET.

Krigo

Post by Krigo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:12 am

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4KYRf5o3q68?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4KYRf5o3q68?ve ... p;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

After checking out this preview, sure it's only 10 seconds long but I'm incredibly disappointed with this is. Henrik told me that this was going away from the Days of Grays style and was going to be hard rock, but coming from a fan of hard rock it sounds nothing like it and it seems that all is gone is the synths from Days of Grays.

Unia was one of my favorite albums from the band along with Ecliptica and Winterheart's Guild. This album doesn't seem incredibly promising, I saw them live at the Days of Grays tour last year and they were amazing but that's mainly because they played their PRE-DOTG stuff along with the only good tracks in Days of Grays in my opinion.

Who knows, it might be better but I'm not too excited now. I was kind of hoping they'd go back to their old style or get out of this direction that they're heading in.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:28 am

Personally I like the new direction and I hope they explore it a little more, I love the old stuff don't get me wrong however it was starting to get repetitive and I like the fact that they are willing to go out on a limb every now and then so that they don't start getting monotonous.

However that's just my opinion.
metal feeds the beast

GAGAGO

Post by GAGAGO » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:17 am

:( What did I say? :roll: :oops: Weird! Weirdest! Most weirdest! Weirdestest!

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:51 am

GAGAGO wrote:Weird! Weirdest! Most weirdest! Weirdestest!
You rang? :cyclop: