SonataArctica - Stones Grow Her Name (new album)

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Krigo
Re: SonataArctica - Stones Grow Her Name (new album)

Post by Krigo » Tue May 15, 2012 7:23 am

It has to be better than Unia, the only song I dislike on Unia is 'Under Your Tree'. While Unia is a complete departure from Sonata Arctica, in my opinion it is one of their strongest albums. Days of Grays wasn't too bad, but it seemed like it lacked direction. There were some truly great songs on there along with some pretty awful ones too. The 2011 tour was great though, the good songs were all played live.

Stones Grow Her Name? It seems like so far it's taken all of the elements of the songs that I didn't like in Days of Grays and expanded it onto it's own album. It's not bad perse if you liked these elements. But for me I'm not too fond of what the band has become, however if they want to continue in this direction I'm completely fine with it.

Although I've only heard the individual previews (I'm not going to pirate the album) I'll have to say that Cinderblox is easily the weakest song.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:11 am

I've heard quite a few songs myself and my opinion is the exact opposite, I love the experimentation on this album and I hope they keep expanding their horizons and therefore not start to stagnate.

I've already pre-ordered my copy.
metal feeds the beast

Shogakat

Post by Shogakat » Tue May 15, 2012 4:20 pm

The album is just OK. Bad for a high quality band as Sonata Arctica, but just OK talking in terms of music. Since I listened to the samples I've been saying that "Stones Grow Her Name" is not a solid album, and after listening the album I think that in some ways I am right, in others not. Just to point out (and it's just an opinion :)):

:arrow: The album is not a solid one, it's not a continuation of TDoG, but it seems that tries to follow a bit Unia being less agressive in the compositions.

:arrow: The album has strong tracks, good ones (Only The Broken Hearts, Losing My Insanity, Shitload of Money, Wildfire II is interesting) but on the other hand a lot of "weak" tracks. The problem on this album stands there, but in some ways I'm a bit more positive about the final result than with some samples.

:arrow: Elias has more protagonism on this album, which is good. He's a good player and on the other album he had no protagonism. On the other hand, Henkka plays more a "pianistic"/orchestral role.

It's not the album of the year, it's not the great surprise, but it's enough for a fan.

PD: I know Under Your Tree is not the best track of the world, but in my opinion is the most emotional track of the album and of the last 3-4 albums. The lyrics are just perfect. Of course it's all about tastes, but it's a bit underrated.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Wed May 16, 2012 1:35 am

Just for you guys to know. You can't judge this album by only two or three listens.

You all sure know SA means everything to me. I've known the tracks for a bit longer than most people.

UNIA is a living test that Sonata music is NOT easy to listen anymore. If you don't let the album sink, you will never get how great some of the tracks are (not all of them).

Somewhere Close to You is easily one of the best tracks they've recorded, and I didn't like it at first.

The Wildfire duo seems complex at first, but they are really very simple and creative.

To me, is the second best album they have, just behind Reckoning Night.
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

Mr Hadder

Post by Mr Hadder » Wed May 16, 2012 3:49 am

HinatAArcticA wrote:Just for you guys to know. You can't judge this album by only two or three listens.

You all sure know SA means everything to me. I've known the tracks for a bit longer than most people.

UNIA is a living test that Sonata music is NOT easy to listen anymore. If you don't let the album sink, you will never get how great some of the tracks are (not all of them).

Somewhere Close to You is easily one of the best tracks they've recorded, and I didn't like it at first.

The Wildfire duo seems complex at first, but they are really very simple and creative.

it is true that it needs more than one listen to get into it, but are you sure is their 2nd best album? this is a very rare album and the ballads are a little bit weak IMO and the fact that "losing my insanity" is like a cover (even though Tony wrote it) makes me think that they didn't have many ideas to record the album. me, like many others would like to have the old SA like on RN or WHG, the music was more direct but the guitar was awesome (i miss Jani so much) for me Elias is like plain... so the album as it may seem in my opinion is not bad but will not be for me one of their best efforts and i really miss a touchy ballad, but i'll give it many tries and maybe my opinion will change like with TDOG

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:56 am

they really have changed the tones and production from the first albums. the first albums really have more magical tones for me.

Mr Hadder

Post by Mr Hadder » Wed May 16, 2012 4:00 am

icecab21 wrote:the band had plenty of ideas, people will like the ideas and people will dislike them. they are not here to cater to each individuals personal taste and cannot do so .
well i'm just giving my reasons after the first 3 listenings

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Wed May 16, 2012 4:48 am

In contrast to their earlier works, the lyrics have improved passionately. I can listen to Tony all day and feel his emotions through his words. Really a great feat for him, along with improving his English. 8)

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:13 am

As I've said I think it's a natural progression, they are trying different things and seeing what works, in my opinion if bands don't do this they just start getting repetitive.
metal feeds the beast

Shogakat

Post by Shogakat » Wed May 16, 2012 6:30 pm

Just for you guys to know. You can't judge this album by only two or three listens.

Of course we have to listen to this album more than once or twice to get into it, but this does not mean that we can not share the first impressions after listen to the whole album.

I was very skeptical about the whole album and in the end I've liked the album more than I expected, but you can not compare this album with Unia or with Reckoning Night. It's a totally different thing, and I always try to talk about the quality of the music, and hey! Sonata Arctica has been always rated as a high quality band talking in terms of music... They've composed great compositions: "The End Of This Chapter", "White Pearl, Black Oceans", "Caleb", "Juliet" just to name some songs which in terms of music and as a composition/song are, for me, a 5 stars song.

I liked Unia, and I liked after all TDoG, and I probably will like in some ways Stones Grow Her Name. But this does not mean that, for me, this album is a bit worse than Reckoning Night or Unia, or TDoG in some ways talking always in terms of music. Of course it's a "good" album! Tony Kakko has composed it, and Sonata Arctica guys have recorded it, but not in the level of other recordings.

But in the end it's all about music tastes.

PD: I have noticed in "Alone in Heaven" a bit of "Queen" influence in the chorus! I've liked this chorus a lot xD

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Wed May 16, 2012 7:52 pm

Mr Hadder wrote: it is true that it needs more than one listen to get into it, but are you sure is their 2nd best album?
Mr Hadder wrote: This is a very rare album
Yup and yes.
Mr Hadder wrote:the ballads are a little bit weak IMO
The main album has only one ballad. Alone in Heaven is not a ballad.
Mr Hadder wrote:Me, like many others would like to have the old SA like on RN or WHG
I'm sorry but... where have you all been the last 5 years? That band doesn't exist anymore.
Mr Hadder wrote:(i miss Jani so much)
I never did... in fact I'm kindda sick about Liimatainen still being mentioned, but that's just me I think...
Mr Hadder wrote:i really miss a touchy ballad
Try In the Dark (Orchestral) from TDOG. Listen to it and read the lyrics. It's a beautifull song.
Mr Hadder wrote: i'll give it many tries and maybe my opinion will change like with TDOG
Let it sink in. Don't expect "old" Sonata anymore. You'll only get dissapointed and will miss the chance to enjoy their new music. Give it a fair chance :)
Tony Kakko

WinterBlack

Post by WinterBlack » Wed May 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Here's my opinion/review about SGHN:

Only The Broken Hearts is very heavy rockish, the guitar sounds "down-to-earth" and the vocals are pretty fresh and clear. Very nice.

Shitload Of Money sounds so disco-ish and those drums are very "I Wish I Had An Angel". The chorus is what I'd call Rock and Lol ("paid for her halo??????"). Nevertheless, I liked it.

The piano intro in Losing My Insanity is what I liked the most about this song. Tony' s vocals are ok but they didn't fit at all the song. PS: do Sonata have a bass player???I didn't enjoyed it very much :?

Somewhere Close To You is....wow.......very.....Nevemore/Korn/Limp Bizkit whateverfuck...... the guitar are fucking heavy and the vocals are....MOTHERFUCKINGEPICWIN!!!I really like the chorus with that Arab touch!!!THE SOOOOOOOOOOLOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Have A Right is a very nice poppy song, probably the weakest non-ballad song of SA. The chorus is repetitive as hell but it has a nice melody. The solo is not that much but the song is pretty nice and has beautiful theme.

Alone In Heaven is one of my favourite, the acoustic intro is so melodic and "heavenly" and the whole song has a Queen-ish touch. I really love the solo and the chorus. Sounds weirdly written by Desmond Child (????)

The Day is another one: the piano in the intro, I dunno why, makes me think to Tokyo...maybe because it was inspired by the tsunami. I really loved the acoustic part... sounds so fucking Epic!!! I hope it's going to be performed live as soon as possible!!!

Cinderblox actually makes me smile when I'm down. The banjo makes me think to my hometown (a country town) and the chorus makes me think to the tits of my ex.

Don't Be Mean, sounds a bad title, but a very beautiful ballad. The acoustic guitar has a leading role and Tony has one of the most beautiful tones I'll ever hear.

The Wildfires are sooo amazing!!! the polka intro on One With The Mountain recalls the chorus of the original and the rest is fucking heavy. I didn't like the solo but I really fit myself with the lyrics. Population 0 reminds me a bit of WPBO of Reckoning Night. "Thy will be done" is now haunting my mind from yesterday. I really love the orchestral part...makes me think to spring season :lol: the "outroduction" is very beautiful and the distorted voice turns a beautiful piece to a scary one...and the birds did sing....

Tonight I Dance Alone is actually my favourite, maybe because of the period I'm in (I broke with my girlfriend and though we're still good friends she has moved with her family and I'll hardly see her). A very romantic ballad with an emotional and sad chorus.

Well, I enjoyed it song-by-song, but I did'nt like the circumstance...I mean.... every song is of a different kind: OTBH is heavy rock, Shitload is hard rock-disco-ish, LMI is prog-heavy-rock, SCTY is groove metal-systematic chaos metal (????), IHAR is pop rock, AIH is soft rock- metal, The Day is prog metal, Cinderblox is hillbilly metal(??????????????????), The Wildfires are Heavy-Thrash-Power-Prog-whattaffuck!! and the ballads are classic at least. The songs are ok but the album not. sounds weird, eh!? :D
WinterBlack

Mr Hadder

Post by Mr Hadder » Wed May 16, 2012 8:42 pm

HinatAArcticA wrote:
Mr Hadder wrote: it is true that it needs more than one listen to get into it, but are you sure is their 2nd best album?
Mr Hadder wrote: This is a very rare album
Yup and yes.
Mr Hadder wrote:the ballads are a little bit weak IMO
The main album has only one ballad. Alone in Heaven is not a ballad.
Mr Hadder wrote:Me, like many others would like to have the old SA like on RN or WHG
I'm sorry but... where have you all been the last 5 years? That band doesn't exist anymore.
Mr Hadder wrote:(i miss Jani so much)
I never did... in fact I'm kindda sick about Liimatainen still being mentioned, but that's just me I think...
Mr Hadder wrote:i really miss a touchy ballad
Try In the Dark (Orchestral) from TDOG. Listen to it and read the lyrics. It's a beautifull song.
Mr Hadder wrote: i'll give it many tries and maybe my opinion will change like with TDOG
Let it sink in. Don't expect "old" Sonata anymore. You'll only get dissapointed and will miss the chance to enjoy their new music. Give it a fair chance :)
for sure that i'll give them a chance, they are on my top 5 bands and i know that the past will not come back but i say this because i see myself as a simple guy which can be pleased with more "direct" stuff like power metal is and like SA was before Unia, and this is the reason why getting into the last 3 albums was not as easy as with the past ones, but i'm starting to like a lot the new album, it is just a matter of moods i think. and well don't blame me for missing Jani, in my opinion he is a better guitar player then Elias but what he's done in SA is really good and it seems that he fits even better than Jani.
another fact that makes me love more SA is that they are not trying to please anyone but themselves and if they feel good with their new sound i'll be happy too, because even though a song its easier or harder to get into it, it really sounds fresh and they are not repeating themselves and then getting boring.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Thu May 17, 2012 5:05 am

Mr Hadder wrote: for sure that i'll give them a chance, they are on my top 5 bands and i know that the past will not come back but i say this because i see myself as a simple guy which can be pleased with more "direct" stuff like power metal is and like SA was before Unia, and this is the reason why getting into the last 3 albums was not as easy as with the past ones, but i'm starting to like a lot the new album, it is just a matter of moods i think. and well don't blame me for missing Jani, in my opinion he is a better guitar player then Elias but what he's done in SA is really good and it seems that he fits even better than Jani.
another fact that makes me love more SA is that they are not trying to please anyone but themselves and if they feel good with their new sound i'll be happy too, because even though a song its easier or harder to get into it, it really sounds fresh and they are not repeating themselves and then getting boring.
+1 :)
And I don't blame you about Liimatainen. I'm just sick of him, but no hard feelings really.
Tony Kakko

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:23 am

Hinataarctica:I understand about your being sick of hearing about Jani all the time, I mean he's a great player however people do go on about him like he was the only member in Sonata arctica.

I'm not saying that everyone does this however it is something that happens a lot and it does irritate me because it makes me feel as if it doesn't even matter what the other members do because many others are convinced that Sonata arctica is over because Jani isn't in it anymore.

It does really remind me of when people will complain about Helloween because Michael Kiske isn't in it anymore.

I just wish that the contributions of the others would get acknowledged instead of hearing the constant going on about how "this" member isn't in it or "That" member isn't in it.

Anyways that's my rant, it's not really directed at anyone.
metal feeds the beast

joteke

Post by joteke » Thu May 17, 2012 4:42 pm

After listening SGHN for this day (bought it on morning), I have to say this is a very good album. Only 2 songs which I don't care for so much (slower ballads).

I still consider Silence and Reckoning Night as their best albums (can't beat them), however they aren't comparable to this one due to style difference. As a Sonata Fan from -99, I'm still happy.

What comes to that -99 is that I belonged to Fazer Music's club at that time (records automatically sent every few weeks unless you cancel them) and I forgot to cancel at that time, and what arrived in snail mail was Ecliptica. One of my best mistakes ever. :-)

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:43 pm

This album fucking ROCKS. The Day is kicking my ass at the moment. What an awesome song!

I haven't fully digested Somewhere Close To You and the Wildfire songs yet, but that's because I keep going back to The Day and Cinderblox (which by the way is one of the best songs on the album, in my opinion).

Love the sound on this album. The band is tight, the album is consistent, introduces lots of new stuff, and it works. 7 albums in a row this band has nailed it for me. Tony Kakko's a fucking winner.

Krigo

Post by Krigo » Fri May 18, 2012 12:57 am

HinatAArcticA wrote: I never did... in fact I'm kindda sick about Liimatainen still being mentioned, but that's just me I think...

I'm pretty cool with Jani leaving otherwise we wouldn't have gotten the masterpiece that was Cain's Offering.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:00 am

Ive checked out the video, the song is quite corny for me, but its ok, I had that feeling for sonata in their two last efforts, they are just ok, in my opinion.

I mean a 30-some year old dude singing I have a right to....in a high pitched range is very-----unappealing.
A9

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:08 am

its a child point of view in the song, would you have liked it more sung by a child? a child with a low voice?

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri May 18, 2012 5:50 am

Adrian9:I'm not trying to pick on you however I do have to agree with icecab, that's really a rather weird argument, you don't like it when someone over thirty sings in a high pitched voice.

I mean Timo kotipelto is in his 40's and he sings high.

If there is a statute of limitations on these things I never heard of it.
metal feeds the beast

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Fri May 18, 2012 10:10 am

hiro23 wrote:Adrian9:I'm not trying to pick on you however I do have to agree with icecab, that's really a rather weird argument, you don't like it when someone over thirty sings in a high pitched voice.

I mean Timo kotipelto is in his 40's and he sings high.

If there is a statute of limitations on these things I never heard of it.
Not to mention Michael Kiske, Bruce Dickinson, Hansi Kursch, Fabio Lione.. I'm sure I could name 20 more..

Does Adrian9 find all these vocalists unappealing?
We don’t necessarily discriminate.
We simply exclude certain types of people.

Balu

Post by Balu » Fri May 18, 2012 8:47 pm

The new album turned out pretty great I think. I find it pretty strange that they chose the worst song from the album to be the first single, but at least I listened to the whole thing with lowered expectations. :Đ
Anyway, it sounds like a cross between Unia and Reckoning Day to my ears, a change I welcome after TDoG, which is by far their worst album to date.

Mr Hadder

Post by Mr Hadder » Sat May 19, 2012 2:34 am

Well after many listenings i've now sooo into SGHN, it is really a great album but Cinderblox is the one that i don't enjoy that much. Only the broken hearts....is a sticky song,i cannot get it out of my head.

BTW Losing my insanity is a great tune also but which one do you prefer the most, Ari's version or SA's?

Mr Hadder

Post by Mr Hadder » Sat May 19, 2012 5:52 am

I don't have the album yet, so once again i tried to get the lyrics of a song of the new album, so here it is Don't be Mean, any corrections will be highly appreciated

Don’t be mean

I am lost, with no key
And I’m worried there’s no easy way
Out of this place
I’m the pain that I caused
Must I let out all the evil to be healed

To be healed
Is it really what I want?
Don’t be mean now, you know how I feel
Give relief, don’t be mean to me
Just leave me the key

For this once, it’s my turn
To be the strong one, you’re in pain
I try to live with grace

Say hello to my tears
I have only one,
I get to save for this moment

To be healed
Is that really what we want?
Don’t be mean
It’s not what we need now
Give relief
Don’t be mean to me
That’s not what we need

Believe in me
Don’t be mean to me
Just leave me the key

To be healed
Is it really what we want?
Don’t be mean yeah
No, it’s not what we need
Be relieved
Don’t be mean to me
Just do as you please

When you leave
Don’t be mean to me
Just leave me the key
So, when you leave
Don’t be mean

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat May 19, 2012 6:25 am

I've got mine pre-ordered, I'm checking out some of the new songs on youtube.
metal feeds the beast

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sat May 19, 2012 10:19 am

Mr Hadder wrote:I don't have the album yet, so once again i tried to get the lyrics of a song of the new album, so here it is Don't be Mean, any corrections will be highly appreciated

The official lyrics has been out since wednesday :) you can find them here:

http://www.sonataarctica.info/site07/in ... okenhearts
We don’t necessarily discriminate.
We simply exclude certain types of people.

Mr Hadder

Post by Mr Hadder » Sat May 19, 2012 1:55 pm

Saffron wrote:
Mr Hadder wrote:I don't have the album yet, so once again i tried to get the lyrics of a song of the new album, so here it is Don't be Mean, any corrections will be highly appreciated

The official lyrics has been out since wednesday :) you can find them here:

http://www.sonataarctica.info/site07/in ... okenhearts
Thank you!!

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:38 pm

i think it is pretty good 7/10. Their best since winter heart guild I guess.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:02 am

Just got the shipping confirmation the other day, so it should be arriving here pretty soon.
metal feeds the beast