Nemesis reviews

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Betlodocus
Re: Nemesis reviews

Post by Betlodocus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:18 am

Stratovarius w/ dubsteps and electronic stuff.... Hoping that they won't turn into a power crabcore LOL! :lol:

Texidor

Post by Texidor » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:55 pm

:?:

After reading the reviews I have noticed that no one really comments on "One Must Fall" and "Nemesis". Are these tracks weaker than "Halcyon Days" and other tracks that critics have been raving about. Curious? :D
SHINE ON!

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Texidor wrote::?:

After reading the reviews I have noticed that no one really comments on "One Must Fall" and "Nemesis". Are these tracks weaker than "Halcyon Days" and other tracks that critics have been raving about. Curious? :D
I think they're just a bit more difficult to comment on is all. They're certainly great tracks...

Listening to Out of the Fog and loving the lyrics.
"Too tired to hope, to scared to dream, let innocence fade/make no sound, '
Kotipelto's accent is still a bit prohibitive of me getting a good transcription down, but Jani's lyrical contributions are fantastic.
They let us have signatures on this forum???

Texidor

Post by Texidor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:53 pm

Rebel wrote:

I think they're just a bit more difficult to comment on is all. They're certainly great tracks...

Kotipelto's accent is still a bit prohibitive of me getting a good transcription down, but Jani's lyrical contributions are fantastic.

Can you give some thoughts on the other two tracks- One Must Fall and Nemesis? Just curious!
SHINE ON!

TheLegendaryDreamer

Post by TheLegendaryDreamer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:41 pm

Looks like another almost perfect review

http://www.metalunderground.com/reviews ... aseid=9669

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:28 am

TheLegendaryDreamer wrote:Looks like another almost perfect review

http://www.metalunderground.com/reviews ... aseid=9669
that guy is an idiot if he thinks Kainluainen was still in the band when Tolkki left. DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:35 am

Texidor wrote:
Rebel wrote:

Can you give some thoughts on the other two tracks- One Must Fall and Nemesis? Just curious!
*reluctantly pauses Out Of The Fog*
So One Must Fall starts out with a slow crunchy riff, builds a lot of momentum moving through the song. Nothing electronic or of concern. This is actually a really impressive performance from Rolf. Again, every vocal melody on this album is memorable and noteworthy. Mattie, the reviewer who gave it a perfect score, said she found it a bit slow, but honestly once it hits the first chorus, it holds its momentum very well. I'm a sucker for rhythm guitars, and this one is full of that.

Nemesis... Very intricate melodies. More very progressive rhythm heavy rhythm guitar work. Pretty cool syncopation and beats the hell out of Tolkki's old rhythm work (Which was, a lot of the time, straight 16ths). My press release said this has medieval influences, I don't hear them. They're sort of archetypical songs for the record, as is Abandon, but Matias' guitar will probably stand out the most about this track.

Seriously though, calm down, there's nothing to worry about, this is an awesome record, the critics are loving it, the fans will love it, and it'll probably turn a few heads outside fandom. A lot of the power metal community is dead set against Kotipelto's voice, and whatever, they're missing out. The band has NOTHING to regret about this album though, and that's what makes it the best Stratovarius album in 15 years.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:32 am

so by tolkki on good behavior lately, what counts as good behavior?

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:17 am

icecab21 wrote:so by tolkki on good behavior lately, what counts as good behavior?
not stirring the pot

HoldenCaulfield

Post by HoldenCaulfield » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:46 pm

Dear Icecab,

Could you please upload your review?

Greetings from Ibiza.

-HC

Shogakat

Post by Shogakat » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:33 pm

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:26 pm

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:23 pm

...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

KupiainenItaly96

Post by KupiainenItaly96 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:03 pm

I've never seen in all my life so positive reviews Oh My God Nemesis will conquer the heart of all! perhaps...

Febo

Post by Febo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:01 pm

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:06 pm

It's funny, even KNOWING the album is as good as it is, I still get frustrated with some of these reviews, because I know a couple of the people who wrote some of these reviews, and they hand out perfect or near-perfect scores like candy. Made me wonder if I was crazy for my score until a fellow critic, who I know is VERY picky, and not a Stratovarius fan, said every song on Nemesis was better than every song on Elysium.

Texidor

Post by Texidor » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:15 pm

Here's a so-so review of Nemesis. Probably one the only ones I have seen. The reviewer basically says most songs just dont do anything for him. Slightly critical but every one is entitled to their own tastes. But for those interested in reading.....Here is the link!

http://www.welovemetal.com/newsite/word ... nemesis-2/

Less than 20 days to go! :wink:
SHINE ON!

Texidor

Post by Texidor » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:42 pm

Texidor wrote:Here's a so-so review of Nemesis. Probably one the only ones I have seen. The reviewer basically says most songs just dont do anything for him. Slightly critical but every one is entitled to their own tastes. But for those interested in reading.....Here is the link!

http://www.welovemetal.com/newsite/word ... nemesis-2/

Less than 20 days to go! :wink:

:!: And one more that I found today...... courtesy of Blabbermouth.net

http://www.blabbermouth.net/showreview. ... iewID=2498
SHINE ON!

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:30 pm

Made me wonder if I was crazy for my score until a fellow critic, who I know is VERY picky, and not a Stratovarius fan, said every song on Nemesis was better than every song on Elysium.
your fellow critic is crazy.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:58 am

icecab21 wrote:
Made me wonder if I was crazy for my score until a fellow critic, who I know is VERY picky, and not a Stratovarius fan, said every song on Nemesis was better than every song on Elysium.
your fellow critic is crazy.
Is he?

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:57 am

how is every track on this album better than every track on the last album?
i think elysium is a greater composition than plenty of songs on this album just to take one song from the last album, let alone others.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:06 am

icecab21 wrote:how is every track on this album better than every track on the last album?
i think elysium is a greater composition than plenty of songs on this album just to take one song from the last album, let alone others.
I don't necessarily agree with him, because the song Elysium is a great composition, however I think he's not far off. The large majority of songs on Nemesis are better than the large majority of songs on Elysium

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:47 am

i think most people's top 10 would include songs from both albums.

i think saying all is far off saying most are better than most.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:25 am

Everytime when trying to read icecab's posts:

bockrocker

Post by bockrocker » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:11 pm

Powerplay Issue 151: 10/10

http://imgur.com/a0pdfY0

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:11 am

icecab21 wrote:i think most people's top 10 would include songs from both albums.

...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:32 am

icecab21 wrote:i think most people's top 10 would include songs from both albums.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:57 am

i think saying "all" is far off saying "most are better than most".

the first quote is different from the second quote.

The large majority of songs on Nemesis are better than the large majority of songs on Elysium

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:39 am

icecab21 wrote:i think saying "all" is far off saying "most are better than most".

the first quote is different from the second quote.

The large majority of songs on Nemesis are better than the large majority of songs on Elysium
In my first quote, I didn't say I agreed with the fellow critic, only that his praise of the album assured me of my own score and review. I do however believe that Nemesis is a much better album than Elysium. As far as direct comparisons go, I would only really put Infernal Maze, and possibly Under Flaming Skies on par with the offerings on Nemesis. TGNE and Event Horizon would probably have been bonus-track material for Nemesis.

As far as the song Elysium goes, it's essentially impossible to compare, as there's nothing of that effort or scope on Nemesis.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:23 pm

looool now that I think it, my computer case is a Nemesis one :lol: