Luca Turilli's Rhapsody: Prometheus~Symphonia Ignis Divinus

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
rikkertje
Luca Turilli's Rhapsody: Prometheus~Symphonia Ignis Divinus

Post by rikkertje » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:32 pm

Just listened to this album. It surprised me! Since the split into two Rhapsody's I kind of took a turn towards the Fabio Lione/Alex Staropoli version. They went on to create old fashioned power metal, while Luca Turilli's Rhapsody took Symphony of Enchanted Lands Pt. 2 even further over the top with Ascending to Infinity. I couldn't get into the music on that album. There was so much going on in the music that I actually got distracted from the songs.

Still, following the recordings and production of Prometheus, I became curious of what it would sound like. Huge orchestra, two choirs, 7 months of writing, 50 days of mixing. It all seemed to get over the top out and of hand once again.

But hey, not true. Well, it is off course still completely over the top. But this time I could actually connect with the music. Something I missed on Ascending to Infinity.

The orchestras soound sublime, as do the choirs.
The balance between cinematic parts and more metallic parts is really good. I also love the fact that the singer got more parts in a relatively lower register. He really annoyed me on their first album with constantly singing in these super high registers. Another fact I like is that he gets to sing more in Italian. His English really bugs me. (Fabio Lione sounds great in comparison to Alessandro.)

There's really a lot of old Rhapsody influences that really come to full power with these huge orchestras and choirs. Just listen to (my favorite so far) One Ring To Rule Them All. That song has all we've come to expect of a Rhapsody song. Bombast, sopranos, choirs, a flashy guitar solo, a folky interlude.

Really curious if more people have heard it and what you think about it!

Empathica1928

Re: Luca Turilli's Rhapsody: Prometheus~Symphonia Ignis Divinus

Post by Empathica1928 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:58 pm

I'm waiting for my copy to arrive but so far I am really not convinced. I quite enjoyed most of Ascending To Infinity and the bonus tracks ruled.

The two singles have done nothing for me and I find the title track absolutely embarrassing even by Luca Turilli standards. The lyrics are more asinine than the worst Dragonforce song. And the Facebook posts... they're so ridiculous. Trying to act like the lyrics are part of some "divine cosmic matrix written in primordial ages from the astral alignment of the gods," it's the corniest fucking thing I've ever seen, and this is coming from a guy with multiple Rhapsody of Fire posters and flags in his room. The melodies in both Prometheus and Rosenkreuz aren't that strong either.

Still waiting for my copy, and I apologize for being so critical already, but I'm almost embarrassed to let anyone hear me listening to this so far.

SatanicSmile

Post by SatanicSmile » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:51 pm

I don't care that much about Rhapsodies anymore, but I do keep buying their albums and listen to them (and Turilli's solo stuff) sometimes. There's always at least something good. That band made me to listen music anyway.

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:33 pm

Empathica1928 wrote:The two singles have done nothing for me and I find the title track absolutely embarrassing even by Luca Turilli standards. The lyrics are more asinine than the worst Dragonforce song. And the Facebook posts... they're so ridiculous. Trying to act like the lyrics are part of some "divine cosmic matrix written in primordial ages from the astral alignment of the gods," it's the corniest fucking thing I've ever seen, and this is coming from a guy with multiple Rhapsody of Fire posters and flags in his room. The melodies in both Prometheus and Rosenkreuz aren't that strong either.
I had exactly the same feeling. Both of the singles weren't doing anything for me at all. Until I heard them together with the rest of the music. (While I must say all album tracks are way better than the singles)

jam

Post by jam » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:54 am

ok, i listen this, i can say that luca turrili destroy raphsody of fire for build a new nband that do exactly the same with futurist lyrics

this really was stupid, why fabio lione now run to Angra , i start to think that fabio dont have the fucking idea about Rhapsody future

But yes, Luca really do something really stupid, why create the same old rhapsody with one "futurist" keyboard that really is Nothing futurist, and Less Cybernetic as the video clip show, and its more, the "epic" style isnt very good to MACHINES HISTORY.

I think that More futurist is if yourself take 80s electronic siong and put one choir on it.

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:05 am

I really don't see Luca Turilli's Rhapsody as being the same as old Rhapsody. When you listen to Ascending To Infinity and Prometheus in comparison to Dark Wings Of Steel you can clearly hear there were musical differences between Luca and Alex Staropoli. Luca wants to take the epic/symphonic parts of Symphony of Enchanted Lands 2 even further and doesn't care if the guitars disappear to the background because of that. The other rhapsody kept the more straightforward metal approach. Big difference.

Btw, couldn't sleep last night, so I put on Notturno. What a hauntingly beautiful song.

Stratowarius 3.0

Post by Stratowarius 3.0 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:14 am

jam wrote:ok, i listen this, i can say that luca turrili destroy raphsody of fire for build a new nband that do exactly the same with futurist lyrics

this really was stupid, why fabio lione now run to Angra , i start to think that fabio dont have the fucking idea about Rhapsody future

But yes, Luca really do something really stupid, why create the same old rhapsody with one "futurist" keyboard that really is Nothing futurist, and Less Cybernetic as the video clip show, and its more, the "epic" style isnt very good to MACHINES HISTORY.

I think that More futurist is if yourself take 80s electronic siong and put one choir on it.

Siong? Huh! Deja vu! HUUUUUU.

jam

Post by jam » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:42 pm

WHAT! Deja vu? WHAT!

sorry man, I dont speak baby languaje.

fuck

Post by fuck » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:44 pm

Hey jam, are you interested in being anally penetrated?

jam

Post by jam » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:04 pm

fuck wrote:Hey jam, are you interested in being anally penetrated?
HOOO FUck!! (casually is too your name), well.... after years , now that i'm an old man, maybe isnt so bad that one huge violent penis attack me and make see the "god face" and show!! HOOOO I'M A CRAZY BITCH!

but no...... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....

sorry you are a gross...... ahahahaha

gross but funny.

jam

Post by jam » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:23 pm

rikkertje wrote:I really don't see Luca Turilli's Rhapsody as being the same as old Rhapsody. When you listen to Ascending To Infinity and Prometheus in comparison to Dark Wings Of Steel you can clearly hear there were musical differences between Luca and Alex Staropoli. Luca wants to take the epic/symphonic parts of Symphony of Enchanted Lands 2 even further and doesn't care if the guitars disappear to the background because of that. The other rhapsody kept the more straightforward metal approach. Big difference.

Btw, couldn't sleep last night, so I put on Notturno. What a hauntingly beautiful song.
HOOO!! WONDERFUL!! to you the difference is that luca put the guitars more high and the othe one not!!

I have bad news for yourself, this is why they have a sound deficit, they cant put a complete metal band, complete choir and complete symphonic in his music why his production can explode in pieces.

I bet that if they can do a massive orchestation, they do it why italians exagerate all, is his nature

now if you think that down the strings and loud up the guitars is a big difference about music, you are speaking more a fanatic that one musical critic.

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:39 pm

I've just heard the first half of the album and although I stand by my initial thoughts re: the corniness of the 'mystic divine energy of the cosmos' and the title track, I fucking love this so far. Why oh why did they use Rosenkreuz and Prometheus as singles? These other songs are far better. The opening cinematic track is amazing, much better than Quantum X on Ascending to Infinity. The songs in Italian are great, Alessandro sounds amazing singing in his native language.

And One Ring To Rule Them All justified the purchase of the album. Eat your hearts out, Blind Guardian, because that is the most epic Lord of the Rings-themed song I've ever heard. They sing the fucking Black Speech for Christ's sake!

jam

Post by jam » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:59 pm

Empathica1928 is one italian or alessandro conti in anonymous,

ALL AGAINST HE!

foerg

Post by foerg » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:50 pm

jam wrote:
I have bad news for yourself, this is why they have a sound deficit, they cant put a complete metal band, complete choir and complete symphonic in his music why his production can explode in pieces.

I bet that if they can do a massive orchestation, they do it why italians exagerate all, is his nature
flavio grammar!

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:47 am

I am so torn on this album. Was hoping to see a few more replies to this thread by now...

There are moments I enjoy on this album. Moments. I think the opening track Nova Genesis is a much, much better introduction track than Quantum X was on Ascending to Infinity. I think Alessandro sounds wonderful in Italian, so I love Il cigno nero. I think One Ring To Rule Them All is brilliant. I think the orchestrations and use of choirs are much better than any other metal band I have ever heard, including Epica and Nightwish and even Rhapsody's Symphony of Enchanted Lands II. It really feels at time as if Luca has transcended the metal genre once and for all, finally hitting that 'film score metal' sound that was attributed to Rhapsody's early albums - which, looking back on them, sound nothing at all like film scores.

However, it lacks so much of what I loved about Ascending to Infinity - it sounds like a film score or opera at times, but it still has a lot of catchy melodies and neoclassical metal. On Prometheus I don't hear as many catchy melodies, and as a result Alessandro's vocals sound extremely corny at times, wailing in the higher notes longer than he should, and they usually aren't strong enough to stick in your mind the way symphonic power metal always has. This doesn't necessarily make it bad, but I don't find myself wanting to listen to those certain songs again, so...

My biggest problem is with Of Michael... Part 2. I was really looking forward to this but it goes on way too long and the music just is not compelling enough for me to put on again. Way, way too over-the-top and could have been 10 minutes shorter. Of course, I think Part 1 could easily be half the length, as the best part is the first 7 or 8 minutes, and everything after is completely unnecessary.

I've been drinking, so I wrote a lot. I know plenty disagree with me and think this is the greatest album of all time but I think I'm being fair.

zdenoeddie

Post by zdenoeddie » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:22 pm

Sorry. For me, Staropolli' Rhapsody is "taking easier" for my ears (and mind). I blindly bought the 1st album (2LP in blue) of Turilli's Rhapsody some years ago, the big mistake. After listening the new one on net, sorry, I will not buy this album. But, if they come visit my country with some show, I'll go :) (due the old songs).

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:44 pm

I catch the comment of one friend in Goggole +

"mmmmmm..... two band in the same show and in small space in mini tours

the situation of the metal is critic."

I agree, the metal situation is critic.